What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Options, do you trust what you have already? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Marcus Mariota has surprised and carried many owners thru many weeks with outstanding numbers. With very few exceptions there is hardly another QB you would rather have the last couple months. And yet as we wind down you would be foolish to just blindly pencil him in IMO. He has some tougher match ups, maybe some disagree but don't you owe it to yourself to examine some of the WW options for this specific position?

For example the next couple weeks I think both Carson Palmer and Tyrod Taylor have better match ups and potential. I know it seems crazy but you cannot feel good about Mariota vs Denver and then KC...and owners are going to feel foolish and act like they didn't see it coming. Take precautions now. 

Palmer has a wonderful game in Miami this weekend. 250/2TDs seems like a given after what Flacco just did and CK scored 42 the week before. Then Palmer gets the Saints? I know Palmer has rolled snake eyes a couple weeks with easy match ups but Miami looks downright pathetic on defense. Both SF and Balt drive it right down their throats on opening drive TDs the last 2 weeks, both teams even ran the same RB in the flat pass play to score. Kiki Alonso is likely OUT or playing with a broken thumb. 

What QBs that might be on the WW the next couple weeks have you 2nd guessing a potential QB you have ridden most of the season?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got Brees, and while he just had his 1st home game without a TD in 61 games ( :o  ) I'm riding the horse what brung me this far AT Tampa. 

While much has been made of his road struggles and home/road splits, it's worth noting that he's also had some tremendous games on the road against very good defenses. And he always seems to put a little more into divisional games. 

Fingers crossed, but I'm leading the league in points and ain't changing now. 

But in the spirit of this topic, Flacco is putting up big numbers, so if I had someone like Dak or another mid-range QB, I'd probably consider Flacco down the stretch. He's available in like 75% of leagues. 

All I've got at QB is Manning and Kaep :yucky:  Only guys on the wire are the Brown's QBs, Goff, Wentz, Bradford, Barkley, and Osweiller so I'm stuck with them. I can get Tyrod next waiver if I somehow win this week.

All I've got at QB is Manning and Kaep :yucky:  Only guys on the wire are the Brown's QBs, Goff, Wentz, Bradford, Barkley, and Osweiller so I'm stuck with them. I can get Tyrod next waiver if I somehow win this week.
Yikes. 

You probably have to run with Eli....he has the best weapons and is the most likely to give you multiple TDs. I just can't trust Kaep. 

I'm in this boat, except it's the S.S. Stafford all the way.  Hoping somebody drops a decent QB2.   Our last place team hogged Brees and Ryan.

Am I crazy to be nervous about Rodgers vs Seattle at home? Only positive is Earl Thomas is out.....obviously I am not happy he is injured....but it does help my cause.

I see some places saying don't start him....obviously you start your studs at home....but????

Yikes. 

You probably have to run with Eli....he has the best weapons and is the most likely to give you multiple TDs. I just can't trust Kaep. 
That's the plan. Started Kaep last week in a must win game and somehow did but don't think I can start him again after that disaster.

Unless you are favored to win I would start Kaep.

Crazy as it sounds, I'm staring at Cam Newton after weeks of sub-par games, and wondering if I should be playing one of these waiver guys instead.

Home vs. San Diego isn't a daunting matchup, but the OL is in absolute shambles.  In my league, Newton has posted 12, 21, and 12 points in the last 3 weeks with the one high scoring game coming against Oakland.  San Diego, on paper, is a better matchup than Oakland, but Newton still makes me nervous with the terrible play calling of Shula and the collapse of the Carolina offense in general.

My other primary option is Andy Dalton, which without AJG doesn't sound great, until you consider he just dropped 332 and 2 TDs on Philly and now gets Cleveland.  However, like Newton, Dalton's been inconsistent the last month with 13, 17, 13 prior to last week's 22.

Other options on the wire are Alex Smith, Palmer, RGIII, and Siemian (if he even plays).  Not sure what I should do.

I picked up Tyrod several weeks ago, largely for the Cleveland matchup, along with some other good ones that he has had.  He really hasn't been too good for the most part, so I am pretty nervous and may just ride Jameis the whole way.

Marcus Mariota has surprised and carried many owners thru many weeks with outstanding numbers. With very few exceptions there is hardly another QB you would rather have the last couple months. And yet as we wind down you would be foolish to just blindly pencil him in IMO. He has some tougher match ups, maybe some disagree but don't you owe it to yourself to examine some of the WW options for this specific position?

For example the next couple weeks I think both Carson Palmer and Tyrod Taylor have better match ups and potential. I know it seems crazy but you cannot feel good about Mariota vs Denver and then KC...and owners are going to feel foolish and act like they didn't see it coming. Take precautions now. 

Palmer has a wonderful game in Miami this weekend. 250/2TDs seems like a given after what Flacco just did and CK scored 42 the week before. Then Palmer gets the Saints? I know Palmer has rolled snake eyes a couple weeks with easy match ups but Miami looks downright pathetic on defense. Both SF and Balt drive it right down their throats on opening drive TDs the last 2 weeks, both teams even ran the same RB in the flat pass play to score. Kiki Alonso is likely OUT or playing with a broken thumb. 

What QBs that might be on the WW the next couple weeks have you 2nd guessing a potential QB you have ridden most of the season?
Per Rotoworld's Start/Sit worksheet:

Carson Palmer at Dolphins: Palmer has thrown for at least 300 yards in four of his past six games and is coming off one of his better outings of the year against the Redskins where he threw for 300 yards and three scores, while playing an interception-free game for the first time since Week 7. After a six-game winning streak, the Dolphins were lit up by Joe Flacco last week for 381 yards and four touchdowns. Flacco had been one of the worst quarterbacks in the league the first two-plus months. In total, Miami is 22nd in fantasy points allowed to quarterbacks. Over the past five weeks, the Dolphins are 29th against quarterbacks, allowing the most touchdown passes in that span. Palmer has volume on his side, as well, having attempted the sixth-most passes this season. He’s fired off at least 45 passes in five of his past six. Miami may have been #exposed last week.

Rivers and Winston: I'm not 100% entirely thrilled with my QBs but they did get me to 9-4 and have some juicy matchups the next few weeks. No one better on the WW so I'll be riding them to the finish.

Rivers and Winston: I'm not 100% entirely thrilled with my QBs but they did get me to 9-4 and have some juicy matchups the next few weeks. No one better on the WW so I'll be riding them to the finish.
Why wouldn't you be thrilled with Rivers and Winston?  They are both averaging just over 20 points a game and have decent match ups.  I'd be starting Winston this weekend as he could get close to 30 points.

Have Brees and Mariota. One time this year I got tempted to start Mariota over Brees, he had been on a roll and Titans were home to the Colts and Saints at the Chiefs. I reasoned the matchup made sense and Brees wasn't great on the road. I got burned, Mariota was just ok and if I had started Brees, i'd have won that week so i'm not doing that again. Last week notwithstanding, Brees is my starter for the remainder.

Ryan making the west coast swing (possibly without Julio), or Carr at supercharged Arrowhead tonight.

I have about 4 1/2 more hours to decide . . . . . leaning Ryan.

Why wouldn't you be thrilled with Rivers and Winston?  They are both averaging just over 20 points a game and have decent match ups.  I'd be starting Winston this weekend as he could get close to 30 points.
I don't know and you're right, I should be more excited as they've both performed very well. I suppose it's simply that I don't have an elite QB but you can't have studs at all positions. I drafted with the intent (hope?) that QBs drafted later would perform adequately. They have so I should be thrilled the strategy worked out.

This. I am likely starting Winston over Rodgers this weekend. Winston has been solid, and the O is trending up (as is their D).

I don't know and you're right, I should be more excited as they've both performed very well. I suppose it's simply that I don't have an elite QB but you can't have studs at all positions. I drafted with the intent (hope?) that QBs drafted later would perform adequately. They have so I should be thrilled the strategy worked out.
I was the last person to draft a QB in my league and I took Winston.  I was also able to pick up Mariota of waivers this season.  Pretty awesome value if you ask me.

This. I am likely starting Winston over Rodgers this weekend. Winston has been solid, and the O is trending up (as is their D).
Now that's a tough one.  I know their going up against Seattle but it's in GB and Thomas is out.  Rodgers should still have a decent game.  Not sure how to handle that one.

Now that's a tough one.  I know their going up against Seattle but it's in GB and Thomas is out.  Rodgers should still have a decent game.  Not sure how to handle that one.
Agree, it's a tough decision. Hard to sit Rodgers when in general he's been productive even in games where GB has lost. 

This matchup seems too good to pass up, though. NO has been a sieve to opposing QBs, and have been playing worse in this phase of the game lately, and TB is at home in a pretty important divisional game being tied with ATL for the division lead, and otherwise hanging on right now as the projected last seed for the Wildcard with the Skins, Vikes, and Pack breathing down their necks. 

GB is at home as well, but even without Thomas, SEA's D (and their secondary) is really good. Shead as the next man up has had a decent year, and they will still have Terrell and a shading Chancellor to help out that side of the field. 

Maybe it's overthinking it, but I'm thinking matchups trumps ability here. 

Unless you are favored to win I would start Kaep.
I limped in at 6-7 and face the leagues highest scoring team. I know Kaep is home this game and in good weather but after last week's debacle not sure my balls are that big. And Eli at least has good receivers and usually plays well vs Dallas .

Anyone else like Kaep this week?

I limped in at 6-7 and face the leagues highest scoring team. I know Kaep is home this game and in good weather but after last week's debacle not sure my balls are that big. And Eli at least has good receivers and usually plays well vs Dallas .

Anyone else like Kaep this week?
In your case I would take the risk and start Kaep.  Both Eli and Kaep will most likely get you about 18 points but Kaep has a better chance of giving you over 25.  I suppose there is that possibility that the Giants and Cowboys get into a shootout and Eli has to throw for over 350 yards and get a few TDs.  The more I think about it the more I don't know what I'd do.

Been working the Stafford, Winston tandem all season. No idea who to start this weekend, but I'm leaning towards Winston.

I've got Jameis and Tyrod. 

I'm confident in Jameis as he has been above 15 points in every game since his bye and has favorable/easy matchups the rest of the way. With Taylor's recent struggles, I'm probably going to roll with Jameis the rest of the way.

Just a note about that week 15 matchup with the Chiefs for Mariota. KC gives up more passing yards per game than teams like Detroit and Green Bay. They are ranked 22nd against the pass to be exact.

Stafford is a solid play this week. Could easily land top 10 if you have him rostered as one of your 2 Qbs 

great post everybody, appreciate all the diff POV. 

I've got both Winston and Kap. I'm a 21 pt underdog in my playoff game. I think I'll roll with Kap. Winston's floor is solid but his ceiling isn't as high as Kap's. The Jets have just quit on this season and I think Kap has a good chance to throw for 250 and 2 and run for 60-70 and 1. We know what we'll get from Winston, 275 and 1-2 TD's with 15 yds rushing.

I've got both Winston and Kap. I'm a 21 pt underdog in my playoff game. I think I'll roll with Kap. Winston's floor is solid but his ceiling isn't as high as Kap's. The Jets have just quit on this season and I think Kap has a good chance to throw for 250 and 2 and run for 60-70 and 1. We know what we'll get from Winston, 275 and 1-2 TD's with 15 yds rushing.
New Orleans...think about that.

I have a first round bye and my QBs are Luck and Mariota. Luck has Minnesota week 15. Oops. 

I think I am rolling Mariota, although it is a bit concerning that KC looked great tonight, and now has 10 days to prep. The best options on the waiver wire are Tanny @NYJ, Bortles @Hou, Bradford vs. Indy, Flacco vs. Phi... Risky.

I have a first round bye and my QBs are Luck and Mariota. Luck has Minnesota week 15. Oops. 

I think I am rolling Mariota, although it is a bit concerning that KC looked great tonight, and now has 10 days to prep. The best options on the waiver wire are Tanny @NYJ, Bortles @Hou, Bradford vs. Indy, Flacco vs. Phi... Risky.
In my league that's 2 of the top 7 QBs. I wish I had your problem(Manning and Kaep here)

Bust it is then. Thursdays never go in my favor come playoff time. Sigh.
Carr was not a very good play last night.  Was listening to podcasts all day yesterday and every one of them said stay away from Carr.  Playing a good defense in the cold was a terrible match up.

Sigmund put forth a fairly compelling argument that the Buccs will try run the ball a lot against NO this week and Winston could have a fairly low ceiling. It's making me re-consider starting him over Stafford.

I think I may shelve Stafford (@NYG) and Winston (@DAL) for Palmer at home to NO this week. He's sitting there on the wire. Anyone else re-addressing options after week 14 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I took Winston to ride him the 2nd half. He's the only QB I have in one league. I have no faith after NO. Looking to grab Flacco on WW for this week. If I win, I may revisit Winston for week 16.

Users who are viewing this thread