What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is benching Julio (1 Viewer)

Clifford

Footballguy
GTD turf toe. Decoy? Poor performance. Possibility of mid-game shutdown? Anyone considering benching Julio?

No you don't. You have to evaluate the situation and evaluate against other options. Falcons need to win which helps but do they need Julio to win? Turf toe is a #####. Impact should not be taken lightly. Plus Julio has shown a very low floor. 

How did he look last week after the injury?

Usually you can run on turf toe, but the explosion and cutting really suffer. I'm sure he will play the entire game, but it could be a real dud.

If he is playing you gotta go with him unless you have another WR1 option to put in the lineup instead.  If that's the case you must be stacked at wr.  

But he's likely a high 1st RD pick for you and it's the playoffs.  If you bench him and he has a big game and you lose as a result of benching him you will never forgive yourself.  Go with the guys that got you here.  

Definitely considering it. I have a number of lesser wrs that can fill in like Pryor, Mitchell, or Watkins

Benching him.  Floor is way too low and this just feels like a decoy/dud game.  I really don't think he plays much when they're up 2 scores.

Ugh. Was feeling so confident just a few weeks ago, rolling towards the playoffs with AJ and Julio. Possibly both gone now? I'm left to pick two of MThomas, Tyrell and MMitchell. Not bad options, but certainly not the studs I was counting on. 

Definitely starting MThomas, probably go with Tyrell also. Unless I can talk myself into Julio.... even though I know I probably shouldn't.

Then again, Thomas and Williams have their own health issues to worry about also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I smell decoy.  I'd be playing Garçon, Marvin Jones, Rishad Matthews types over him and not thinking twice

The reason I'm not too worried about benching him is because he's had numerous duds this year when he's been the decoy. His career is starting to remind me of Megatron.

I think he'll be out there to keep the defense honest and for goal-line looks if the game is tight. But I wouldn't think of him as a WR1. Any decent backup deserves consideration. 

I do own Julio, but don't need him this week. If it was a must-win, I'd probably bench him. I think 2-24 is very likely in a game the Falcons should win.

Donny Loved Bowling said:
Ugh. Was feeling so confident just a few weeks ago, rolling towards the playoffs with AJ and Julio. Possibly both gone now? I'm left to pick two of MThomas, Tyrell and MMitchell. Not bad options, but certainly not the studs I was counting on. 

Definitely starting MThomas, probably go with Tyrell also. Unless I can talk myself into Julio.... even though I know I probably shouldn't.

Then again, Thomas and Williams have their own health issues to worry about also.
Mthomas has not practiced this week and may not play

I smell decoy.  I'd be playing Garçon, Marvin Jones, Rishad Matthews types over him and not thinking twice
Ditto. I need to start two of JJ, T Williams and Matthews. As of now I'm planning on JJ and Williams but I'm concerned. Obviously if he's ruled out that makes the decision easy but I'm thinking of pulling him if I get a whiff of credible "decoy" talk.

Starting Adams, Pryor and Kelley (at flex) over him. Those are all no brainers. I also have Moncrief, Mitchell & Watkins on my bench who Id play over him.

hasn't Julio always been more of a boom-or-bust guy than other elite WRs?  i don't think it's ridiculous to consider benching him in situations like this.

Here lies the problem.  Since he plays in the late game your options are greatly reduced.  You could replace Jones with an option like Corey Coleman, who plays in one of the early games, or take a chance and hope Jones starts in the late game, with the probability that he is a last minute scratch and you have to replace him with someone like Terrence West.  See my point?  I'm not saying Coleman is a great option, because Cleveland's QB situation is horrible, but I would rather take a chance on him in the playoffs than someone like Terrence West, who is losing more and more carries to Dixon.  So, do you roll the dice on Jones and end up starting West when Jones is inactive, or do you start Coleman in the early game?

FWIW from Rotoworld: 

D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tweeted Friday that he is not anticipating Julio Jones (toe, questionable) will play in Week 14 against the Rams.

Julio won't be a decoy. that term is so over used. 

I get surprised when people bench their super stud wrs over weather or an injury. if they are suiting up, imo, you have to play them. 

at least that's how I save myself grief. I've out coached myself in the past and adopted that rule for myself and done quite well. 

I get surprised when people bench their super stud wrs over weather or an injury. if they are suiting up, imo, you have to play them. 

at least that's how I save myself grief. I've out coached myself in the past and adopted that rule for myself and done quite well. 
I remember 2 years ago (or was it 3?)  A J Green was in a similar situation and WAS used as a decoy.  It cost me in the playoffs.

I remember 2 years ago (or was it 3?)  A J Green was in a similar situation and WAS used as a decoy.  It cost me in the playoffs.
3 years ago. how many injuries at wr1 have there been since? like I said, the term gets thrown around a lot. 

I had pneumonia once too. but I don't run to the doctor everytime I have the sniffles

not saying it never happens, just pointing out that it rarely does. I remember a game where Julio was hurt and everyone was in a tizzy over it and worried he'd be a decoy. he decoyed himself to like 150 yards and 2 TDs that game

The problem however is as @dcgangstas described above. That is that JJ plays at 4:25. Can't speak for others but my other viable option (R Matthews) plays at 1pm. So, right now unless I hear that he is absolutely positively a go I'm planning on benching him due to his injury and risk of him not playing.

The key is obviously to have a credible source and news that is pretty definitive.

3 years ago. how many injuries at wr1 have there been since? like I said, the term gets thrown around a lot. 

I had pneumonia once too. but I don't run to the doctor everytime I have the sniffles

not saying it never happens, just pointing out that it rarely does. I remember a game where Julio was hurt and everyone was in a tizzy over it and worried he'd be a decoy. he decoyed himself to like 150 yards and 2 TDs that game
What would be your response to my first post (Here lies the problem), not my last post?

I am going back and forth between starting him or Sneed. At least Sneed has a late game so i can decide right before the 2nd games. 

This feels like 2 catches for 11 yards to me.

Not just Julio either. Without JJ and Sanu no way Matt Ryan gets his numbers this week.

I'm hoping the Falcons do.

Fortunate enough to have a bye, would really like to see him healthy in week 15.

Ugh. I can either start Watkins over him or wait to see if he plays. If he doesn't, I have Britt I can plug in. I need upside since Ware and Crabtree have already put me in a hole. Looking like a first round exit in this league. 

4:25 kickoff makes things frustrating. I have to decide Allen Robinson at 1pm, or hold out until 4 and risk it. I'm picking up Justin Hardy just in case, but do not want to start him. Hopefully we'll have a clear picture before 1pm.

This sux - My only alternatives are 1:00 game times.  (Tyrell Williams or E. Sanders).  I hate having to make the call so early in the day since I really live by "don't ait your studs",  but the possibilty JJ sits weighs too heavily this week.

Seriously thinking about starting Williams.    I picked up TW off waivers week 1 or 2 after Alllen went down and have not played him once - gotta get my monies worth I guess....

JohnnyU said:
Here lies the problem.  Since he plays in the late game your options are greatly reduced.  You could replace Jones with an option like Corey Coleman, who plays in one of the early games, or take a chance and hope Jones starts in the late game, with the probability that he is a last minute scratch and you have to replace him with someone like Terrence West.  See my point?  I'm not saying Coleman is a great option, because Cleveland's QB situation is horrible, but I would rather take a chance on him in the playoffs than someone like Terrence West, who is losing more and more carries to Dixon.  So, do you roll the dice on Jones and end up starting West when Jones is inactive, or do you start Coleman in the early game?
yes, this is the biggest problem and I can see the issue. I think we will know before the noon games. if he doesn't do Saturday walk through he probably isn't playing

On a somewhat related note if he has no or limited Julio combined with no Sanu is anyone still starting Matt Ryan?

I got this one league with horrible rule of stopping waivers after week 13 and it's not only a Julio team(and Gronk who got put on IR a day after waivers ran) but my only two QB's are Ryan without his weapons or Mariotta against Denver. I consider Denver basically unplayable for QB's and WR's and right now I see me going with Mariotta, that's how unattractive I see this going for Ryan.

And does this help or hurt Freeman/Coleman/Gabriel? Julio got a big piece of the pie but he sure makes life easier on all of them.

yes, this is the biggest problem and I can see the issue. I think we will know before the noon games. if he doesn't do Saturday walk through he probably isn't playing

I don't think we will know until game time and that is too late for most in the playoffs.

Have Crabtree an Britt as my replacement options.  Didn't roll the dice with Crabtree last night so down to Britt.   Luckily for me they play in the same game so if Julio is out I can replace him.  But if Julio is a go I'm riding with him.   I agree with Dr Brew here and don't want to over think it.  

I know injuries are impossible to predict but with how banged up he is you'd think most owners would have a contingency picked up from the WW that plays same time or later. 

I'm my league Gabriel is still available. Sanu is already ruled out. he's a great play. Julio sits and he's a gem. hard to believe there aren't other options in most leagues. I understand many leagues have deeper benches than mine but I'm just surprised at how many people don't have a late option to fall back on

I'm fortunate to have quality depth..I'm benching him for Tyrell, Crowder, and one of Pryor, Adams or Baldwin weather dependent.

D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports Julio Jones will be "a decoy at best" Week 14 against the Rams.
Ledbetter is doubling down on his Friday report that Jones will not play. Coach Dan Quinn said Friday he "anticipates" Jones will be active, but Ledbetter says he is "calling coach's bluff." Playing in an afternoon kick and potentially limited to decoy status, Jones looks way too risky to trust in the first week of the fantasy playoffs. Owners should find other options.

Source: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter
Dec 10 - 10:10 AM

I know injuries are impossible to predict but with how banged up he is you'd think most owners would have a contingency picked up from the WW that plays same time or later. 

I'm my league Gabriel is still available. Sanu is already ruled out. he's a great play. Julio sits and he's a gem. hard to believe there aren't other options in most leagues. I understand many leagues have deeper benches than mine but I'm just surprised at how many people don't have a late option to fall back on
I'm betting most do have an backup plan later but have to decide between a better option @ 1pm or a last option @ 4pm. In my case options are R Matthews or Cobb. I like Matthews better than Cobb vs Sea.

I'm betting most do have an backup plan later but have to decide between a better option @ 1pm or a last option @ 4pm. In my case options are R Matthews or Cobb. I like Matthews better than Cobb vs Sea.
I would too. I guess it's a goofy situation all together

Users who are viewing this thread