What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 FBG Album Poll - COUNTDOWN ONGOING TODAY (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
Link to last year's thread

Link to Best Albums of 2016 Thread

Rules

Suggestions and discussion welcome in this thread, As always PMing lists to me is encouraged vs. posting them here, so there is some drama in the big reveal, which as of right now I think will take place on a Friday in mid-January (people back from holidays etc...)

I'm not going to set a deadline yet for lists, but plan on having them in by first week of January 2017.

These are the rules we've used in the past, still work for everyone, or should we do some tinkering? The one thing that happens with the assigned points is one person can love an album, give it 30 points and it finds it's way into the midsection of the countdown. It puts an album "loved" by one person ahead of one that was "liked" by 3 or 4 people, which can be either a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. Personally, I think it adds some diversity to the chart but maybe we should roll the max per album back to 25?

- You have 200 points to distribute as you see fit among 10 to 20 albums.
- No album can be given more than 30 points
- You can also simply post your top 10-20 albums in order and they will be awarded points in a descending order from 19-1.

- You must post at least 10 albums
- Any album consisting of new/previously unreleased material released in 2015 is eligible (No reissues, compilations must be all new material)
- Live Albums must have been recorded and released in 2015
- EP's are eligible
- You can post your album rankings/points assignments here or PM them to me (PMing them to me adds some mystery as to how the final results shake out, but if some people just want to post a top 10/20 list, that's fine too).
The countdown will take place in a new thread I'll start shortly after that. I'll try to run through the whole list on one day.
- The more participants the better
- Let's try to keep this near the top of the page for the next couple weeks.

EXAMPLE 1 - Points Assigned:

The Beatles - Abbey Road - 30
The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed - 30
The Band - The Band - 25
The Who - Tommy - 20
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin - 15
Led Zeppelin - II - 10
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground - 10
The Stooges - The Stooges - 10
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River - 10
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats - 10
Neil Young with Crazy Horse -Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - 5
Elvis Presley - From Elvis in Memphis - 5
MC5 - Kick Out the Jams - 5
Crosby, Stills and Nash - Crosby, Stills and Nash - 5
The Flying Burrito Bros - The Gilded Palace of Sin - 5
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King - 1
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left - 1
Sly and the Family Stone - Stand! - 1
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis - 1
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica - 1

Example 2 - Albums Ranked

1. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (will be awarded 19 points)
2. Led Zeppelin - IV (will be awarded 18 points)
3. The Who - Who's Next (will be awarded 17 points)
4. Joni Mitchell -Blue (will be awarded 16 points)
5. The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (will be awarded 15 points)
6. Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (will be awarded 14 points)
7. David Bowie - Hunky Dory (will be awarded 13 points)
8. Carole King - Tapestry (will be awarded 12 points)
9. John Lennon - Imagine (will be awarded 11 points)
10. The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East (will be awarded 10 points)
11. Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story (will be awarded 10 points)
12. T. Rex - Electric Warrior (will be awarded 9 points)
13. Janis Joplin - Pearl (will be awarded 8 points)
14. The Doors - L.A. Woman (will be awarded 7 points)
15. Can - Tago Mago (will be awarded 6 points)
16. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate (will be awarded 5 points)
17. Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (will be awarded 4 points)
18. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up (will be awarded 3 points)
19. Jethro Tull - Aqualung (will be awarded 2 points)
20. Yes - Fragile (will be awarded 1 points)

Last edited by a moderator:
As always, if there is an album you think may have been overlooked, post here, with a couple songs from the album so everyone can check it out.

It's been 10 years since the first one of these they did - here is the 2006 version - archived unfortunately.

Our top 20 that year was:

Rank - Artist - Album Title - Points - # of lists

1 - The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America - 165 - 7

2 - TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain - 123 - 8

3 - The Decemberists - The Crane Wife - 123 - 8

4 - Built to Spill - You in Reverse - 113 - 8

5 - Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood - 103 - 7

6 - Band of Horses - Everything All The Time - 101 - 8

7 - Drive-By Truckers - A Blessing and A Curse - 97 - 6

8 - Bob Dylan - Modern Times - 88 - 7

9 - Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit - 84 - 7

10 - Muse - Black Holes and Revelations - 67 - 3

11 - Cat Power - The Greatest - 64 - 6

12 - Junior Boys - So This Is Goodbye - 64 - 4

13 - Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers - 61 - 5

14 - Tapes N Tapes - The Loon - 60 - 4

15 - Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther - 51 - 5

16 - Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam - 51 - 4

17 - Yo La Tengo - I am Not Afraid of You... - 48 - 4

18 - Wolfmother - Wolfmother - 47 - 4

19 - Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped - 47 - 3

20 - M.Ward - Post-War - 44 - 3
I'm going to see if I can find the original voting spreadsheet I had from that year - I have '07-'12 in a google doc. I'm sure I have the last few years somewhere too.

Along for the ride.  No list from me this year.  I was totally out of it so I'll be shopping from the countdown.

You will be missing my annual contribution with the usual FBG favorite albums sprinkled with a few super gay electronic fem vocal picks plus whatever the National was working on.  No time for new music this past year.

Hmph, I just realized that I spent about 3 straight weeks late this summer listening to an album that I failed to include on my list... because I spent the next 2+ weeks listening to the family friendly vacation playlist I made (which was a big hit this year thanks to the fart noise songs I added for my son). 

That being said, if it doesn't make the list add a vote for PUP - The Dream Is Over

I love this thread. Not up on music this year, but will read and be enlightened. Getting old. Couldn't even dig the new PUP, whose first LP I loved, so I'm working backwards through the years this year and looking forward to some crust in the next. 

Rock Action!

Not going to lie, I'm struggling to find albums that I loved this year.  I listened to plenty, and I can put together a list, but I don't know what it is, maybe I listened to the wrong music this year but I don't have those handful of killer albums that I listened to non-stop this year.

Not going to lie, I'm struggling to find albums that I loved this year.  I listened to plenty, and I can put together a list, but I don't know what it is, maybe I listened to the wrong music this year but I don't have those handful of killer albums that I listened to non-stop this year.
Agree. I had to dig a bit to find the albums I liked most. No clear elite albums. I listened to a lot more jazz, classical and throwaway pop this year so I thought it might have been me, but maybe not.

Agree. I had to dig a bit to find the albums I liked most. No clear elite albums. I listened to a lot more jazz, classical and throwaway pop this year so I thought it might have been me, but maybe not.
Sometimes I feel like throwaway pop is the only music I listen to these days :oldunsure:

Not spotlighting but I'm curious if you've listened to Colin Stetson's version of Gorecki's 3rd that came out this year. 

The piece has always been a heavy slog for me but I thought Stetson's arrangement for 12 musicians managed to walk the fine line between inventive and respectful.

Not spotlighting but I'm curious if you've listened to Colin Stetson's version of Gorecki's 3rd that came out this year. 

The piece has always been a heavy slog for me but I thought Stetson's arrangement for 12 musicians managed to walk the fine line between inventive and respectful.
I have not, but now I will. Thank you! Would love to have a classical thread with some wheels. Jazz too. Just not sure there is enough interest.

The Daniil Trifanov record with Liszt's Transcendental Etudes is worth a lis(z)ten.  Trifanov is a sensational pianist who brings a lightness and sensitivity to compositions that can be like the NFL combine in the wrong hands. 

There's just too much piano to listen to in one sitting though.  You can become numb to the virtuosity after a while.   I switched to listening it on shuffle so there may pieces I haven't heard.

Love love love that piece since hearing it on a French movie in the 80s... Police iirc. Will give that one a listen today

I have lists from:

NV

Workhorse

errictspikes

Jaysus

The Dreaded Marco

Iluv80s

Karma Police

AcerFC

Bonzai

(waiting on wazoo11, Tasker, Eephus, El Floppo, D_House, EZ Glider)

... I don't know if 15 is going to give us very much of a list, so I'm going to mention a few people who have sent lists in the past or are regulars in the 2016 album thread and see what comes back. If needed, I'll delay until next Friday. @Fiddles  @kupcho1  @JZilla  @pettifogger  @mphtrilogy  @Amused to Death   @Abraham  @Fly  @dal_boys_phan   @AhrnCityPahnder   @Kenny Powers  @Nigel Tufnel   @drpill   @bosoxs45

I didn't even see this thread until today.    To my hoof crew, if you need me on here please give a shoutout like NV just did or PM me.  I read a few threads here but generally don't keep up with the FFA like I used to.   

I haven't listened to as much this year as I have in prior years, but I know I have a few albums I liked.  Let me go look and I'll get something by this evening.  

ok. 

here's a link to the pared down 2016... and catch-all 2016 spotify playlists

list spoiled below

1. [SIZE=12pt]Savages- Adore 30[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=12pt]Happy Diving- Electric Soul Unity 25[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=12pt]Parquet Courts- Human Performance 20[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=12pt]Preoccupations- Preoccupations 18[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=12pt]Canshaker Pi- Canshaker Pi 15[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=12pt]DTCV- Confusion Moderne 13[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=12pt]Naked Giants- R.I.P. 12[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=12pt]Jacuzzi Boys- Ping Pong 10[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=12pt]Goon- Dusk of Punk 10[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=12pt]####kid- ####kid EP 10[/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=12pt]Deerhoof- The Magic 7[/SIZE]
  12. [SIZE=12pt]Metronomy- Summer 08 7[/SIZE]
  13. [SIZE=12pt]Mourn- Ha, Ha, Ha. 6[/SIZE]
  14. [SIZE=12pt]Summer Cannibals- Full of it 5[/SIZE]
  15. [SIZE=12pt]Carseat Headrest- Fill in the Blank 4[/SIZE]
  16. [SIZE=12pt]The Gotobeds- Blood Sugar Secs Traffic 3 [/SIZE]
  17. [SIZE=12pt]Public Access TV- Never Enough 2[/SIZE]
  18. [SIZE=12pt]Rats On Rats/De Kift- Rats On Rats/De Kift 1[/SIZE]
  19. [SIZE=12pt]Of Montreal- Innocent Reaches 1 [/SIZE]
  20. [SIZE=12pt]The Julie Ruin- Hit Reset (soft spot in my heart for Le Tigre sounding outfit). 1[/SIZE]
ALMOSTS...

1. [SIZE=12pt]Nots- Cosmetic[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=12pt]WALL- Eps.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=12pt]Pink Mexico- Fool[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=12pt]Wire- Nocturnal Koreans[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=12pt]Pfarmers- Our Puram[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=12pt]The KVB- Of Desire[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=12pt]MALL WALK- Funny Papers[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=12pt]Pretenders- Alone[/SIZE]

Ok I checked it out and that was a brainfart on my part, I had listened to it a few times this year and really liked it. Any other classical works this year you dug?

The Daniil Trifanov record with Liszt's Transcendental Etudes is worth a lis(z)ten.  Trifanov is a sensational pianist who brings a lightness and sensitivity to compositions that can be like the NFL combine in the wrong hands. 

There's just too much piano to listen to in one sitting though.  You can become numb to the virtuosity after a while.   I switched to listening it on shuffle so there may pieces I haven't heard.
Liszt does nothing for me and you pretty much summed up why.

I re-listened to a bunch of stuff and I think in the genre of indie rock, there's a very very clear winner.

El Floppo said:
Love love love that piece since hearing it on a French movie in the 80s... Police iirc. Will give that one a listen today
just dived in... there's something grumbling/rumbling around in the lower frequencies that's a bit spooky... but I'm liking it so far.

Also no doubt what the best hip-hop/rap album was

I'm like Kubrick

with 2 bricks

and hoes on the strip

Northern Voice said:
I have lists from:

NV

Workhorse

errictspikes

Jaysus

The Dreaded Marco

Iluv80s

Karma Police

AcerFC

Bonzai

(waiting on wazoo11, Tasker, Eephus, El Floppo, D_House, EZ Glider)

... I don't know if 15 is going to give us very much of a list, so I'm going to mention a few people who have sent lists in the past or are regulars in the 2016 album thread and see what comes back. If needed, I'll delay until next Friday. @Fiddles  @kupcho1  @JZilla  @pettifogger  @mphtrilogy  @Amused to Death   @Abraham  @Fly  @dal_boys_phan   @AhrnCityPahnder   @Kenny Powers  @Nigel Tufnel   @drpill   @bosoxs45
Can't say that I paid too much attention to music in 2016. 

However, I did enjoy seeing Angel Olsen, Sturgil Simpson, Cymbal Eat Guitars and Steve Gunn in person. Thanks for doing this NV.  

Ok I checked it out and that was a brainfart on my part, I had listened to it a few times this year and really liked it. Any other classical works this year you dug?
It's not easy to figure out classical release dates from Spotify.  There's a lot of repackaged old recordings that get posted with a 2016 date and unfortunately stuff seems to disappear from the catalog.  There was an awesome cycle of Bruckner symphonies that is now just a dead link.  Searching for classical recordings is also kind of hit or miss, particularly on mobile.

I discovered the London Symphony Orchestra's recording of Alexander Scriabin's 1st & 2nd Symphonies through somebody's Spotify playlist.   I wasn't familiar with Scriabin but this record was enough to send me down the rabbit hole for a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread