Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
captain_amazing

What song are you listening to right now?

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

???

I was totally shaking my head at this one, but hey, it could be totally regional or personal experience.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

???

Any time heard this in a college bar, after "and she was", during those 8 or so beats without any vocals, some sorority would chant their letters.  I can't remember if it was one particular sorority or different ones.  Regardless, I can't hear the song any more without hearing that chant in my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to say Grant Lee Buffalo, Grant Lee Phillips specifically, is criminally underrated.

Everyone says “criminally underrated” but I mean it, if you don’t like this guy you should go to jail. 

Edited by The General

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The General said:

Got to say Grant Lee Buffalo, Grant Lee Phillips specifically, is criminally underrated.

Everyone says “criminally underrated” but I mean it, if you don’t like this guy you should go to jail. 

I have a couple of his CD's, the guy is great, love his stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

I have a couple of his CD's, the guy is great, love his stuff.

The Virginia Creeper album is pretty much perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hip hop is not my genre at all but...

What's Up Danger by Blackway/Black Caviar is awesome.

And, yes, it's only because I heard it in Into The Spider Verse that I heard it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Hip hop is not my genre at all but...

What's Up Danger by Blackway/Black Caviar is awesome.

And, yes, it's only because I heard it in Into The Spider Verse that I heard it.

Hey man, if I had a nickel for every commercial/movie/television show that turned me onto a song...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

April 5th is the annual Nirvana and Alice in Chains day.  Been through Bleach, AIC self titled, and Unplugged in NY so far.  Onto Jar of Flies now and will queue up Live in Reading for the lunch run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The General said:

Might be too poppy for some people’s tastes but I have had this song playing quite a bit lately: Champions of Red Wine

I like it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I like it.  

Nice. Heard it and then downloaded it just just before a big vacation that I had planned for a long time to Europe last December. Had it playing walking around Amsterdam on train rides all around. Will have it ingrained in my memory for a long time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 9:37 PM, Ilov80s said:

Listening to the 2nd link, I know very little about RL other than he was an old school blues guy. I assume this track was put together by a producer or did he actually embrace this modern style late in life? It's great- reminds of the Sopranos theme or something by the Kills. 

i think he was a totally underground blues guy his whole life and then a newer artist started working with him late in life (Jon Spencer, maybe?)  Love, love, love his stuff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 9:46 PM, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

This vid was great too. Do we have any thread here that cover this theme: STUDY THE GREATS?

If not, we should.

 

Excellent analysis.

..Fat Possum Records signed Burnside and recorded a number of albums with the aging farmer/bluesman. Then, around the late 90's, musician John Spencer did a pilgrimage to Burnside's musical backyard and recorded an album with him entitled ### Pocket Full of Whiskey. Burnside's hypnotic hill country blues, by now electrified, was a strange but intriguing mix with Spencer's more avant garde punk inflected style. More young, white blues enthusiasts were now sitting at Burnside's feet. Namely, Akron, Ohio's The Black Keys who were picking up on Burnside's catchy melodies and heavy riffs.

 

The next time Burnside sauntered into the studio, the lads at Fat Possum had a radical idea...totally rethink the blues and market to this new punk/blues crowd that looked to the quiet farmer from Holly Springs as their disciple. The affable Burnside was up for it and, with his young grandson Cedric and long time guitarist Kenny Brown, he laid down some hard core hill country blues.  The producers and engineers then broke it all down and built it back up. The result, like the record, was mixed...and the reception was the same. Then, just as it seemed like the experiment may have failed, another funny thing happened, the cats on the Class-A show, The Sopranos, picked up one of the songs from the album and featured it prominently in one of their episodes. Suddenly, at 60+ years of age, Burnside had a new audience. Suddenly he was a badge of hipness for the PBR drinking, trucker-hat hipsters that were in constant search for the next cool thing. Burnside was as hip as a western shirt with snap buttons, Pabst Blue Ribbon from a can, and tattoos of Betty Paige.

From this link: On The Flip-Side - Song of the Week: "It's Bad You Know", R.L. Burnside

 

The dancin' in the vid is my favs. 👌

ah ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

i think he was a totally underground blues guy his whole life and then a newer artist started working with him late in life (Jon Spencer, maybe?)  Love, love, love his stuff.

When ya got some time, Larry - please pass me some of your favs. Tho I luvs me RL, I am no expert. Most all of the link I gave was new info to me. You prolly have a much better library of his stuff than I.

Anyways...👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TyzAAwJnIw

Here is the great Skip James, he first recorded back in the early 30's, had some dispute over $$$$$, so gave up his music.  He was rediscovered in the early 60's.  He is always put in  THE DELTA but he was from Bentonia some ways from what is considered the delta.  He is a true legend in them old prewar blues. He also plays the piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYALBzfY5QY

 

Edited by ZenoRazon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

When ya got some time, Larry - please pass me some of your favs. Tho I luvs me RL, I am no expert. Most all of the link I gave was new info to me. You prolly have a much better library of his stuff than I.

Anyways...👍

Goin down south is the first one that comes to mind

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Goin down south is the first one that comes to mind

Love that version, he has another one other this also, actually the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9NG7-lgRlQ

Highly recommend this read to anyone into them blues.  Starts with the slave trade and takes off, great read.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Wymans-Blues-Odyssey-Various-Artists/dp/B00005OACN

My blues library massive, it's all there.

 

 

Edited by ZenoRazon
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

When ya got some time, Larry - please pass me some of your favs. Tho I luvs me RL, I am no expert. Most all of the link I gave was new info to me. You prolly have a much better library of his stuff than I.

Anyways...👍

Just Like a Woman

Come on In

Wish I was in Heaven Sitting Down

Death Bells

Really just listen to all of A Bothered Mind if you want that real funk/produced sound (including Detroit Boogie in honor of ILov80s)

and for something a little different: RL's Story

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Goin down south is the first one that comes to mind

Sweet! 1st I heard, as I am just now hittin' A Bothered Mind.

This has an ol' style Hep Cat feel to it = good.

👍

Speakin' of A Bothered Mind

I just listened to this:

RL Burnside - Someday baby feat Lyrics Born

 

And right b4, I boogy'd down to dis:

R. L. Burnside - Rollin and Tumblin - live

______________________________________________________

And, oh - shtick vid for ya Larry - warn'n - has ugly mug doin' ugly things:

Don't Ya Let Larry Ride

Not recommended for those lookin' for true music vids.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of the thousands of old blues songs I own this one here can't be beat when it comes the ultimate in them Mississippi Delta Blues, it gets no better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9J96zq7vQ

Lacy only recorded one record, then dropped that ...devil's music....for the ministry.  I almost met the guy, ya see he moved out here to Cali settled in Bakersfield, a 40 minute drive, but before I headed off to find him, found out he had died....bummer.

Edited by ZenoRazon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

BTW: So much good stuff bein' posted, I'm way behind, but I'll listen to it all in order.

Thanks much @ZenoRazon

Love your songs too! 👌

Thanks man.

Make this as short as I can.

In them blues it's very regional, you have...

Mississippi Delta (but everything from Miss gets stuck here)...Charley Patton

Louisiana...Papa Charley Jackson...in the first male to record them blues debate (1924)

Texas....Blind Lemon Jefferson....first male "star" of them blues

Alabama....Jaybird Coleman

St.Louis...Roosevelt Sykes

Memphis....sometimes gets mixed with Delta blues....Furry Lewis

Georgia.....Blind Willie McTell

East Coast/Piedmont...Blind Blake

Ya start there.

 

Edited by ZenoRazon
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Thanks man.

Make this as short as I can.

In them blues it's very regional, you have...

Mississippi Delta (but everything from Miss gets stuck here)...Charley Patton

Louisiana...Papa Charley Jackson...in the first male to record them blues debate (1924)

Texas....Blind Lemon Jefferson....first male "star" of them blues

Alabama....Jaybird Coleman

St.Louis...Roosevelt Sykes

Memphis....sometimes gets mixed with Delta blues....Furry Lewis

Georgia.....Blind Willie McTell

East Coast/Piedmont...Blind Blake

Ya start there.

 

Definitely gonna check all this out, man. ✌️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Definitely gonna check all this out, man. ✌️

Each of those regions has at least 10 "name"  to us blues geeks anyway artists, then there are TONS of those with but A record or two, then...poof.

Very interesting.

Then in the 40's here came Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ZenoRazon said:

Each of those regions has at least 10 "name"  to us blues geeks anyway artists, then there are TONS of those with but A record or two, then...poof.

Very interesting.

Then in the 40's here came Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins etc

👍

After I listen to the names you already provided, I'll let ya know my favs. Then, I will better know where to go next in the catalog.

I'm do'in a Charley Patton shuffle on YouTube now - startin' with Spoonful Blues  - like it much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

👍

After I listen to the names you already provided, I'll let ya know my favs. Then, I will better know where to go next in the catalog.

I'm do'in a Charley Patton shuffle on YouTube now - startin' with Spoonful Blues  - like it much.

Cool!

I knew about Charley Patton right off the bat in my blues education but this was long before the internet.  So I find this CD at ..forget....it was compilation of blues legends, yep...Charley Patton....EUREKA...I rushed home, get all pissed over trying to open the damn thing (you know the feeling) finally ........what????...what did he say????  I couldn't understand what he was saying. THIS is Charley Patton......yep, just like beer, it took me awhile to get it, yep, the guy is amazing.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Cool!

I knew about Charley Patton right off the bat in my blues education but this was long before the internet.  So I find this CD at ..forget....it was compilation of blues legends, yep...Charley Patton....EUREKA...I rushed home, get all pissed over trying to open the damn thing (you know the feeling) finally ........what????...what did he say????  I couldn't understand what he was saying. THIS is Charley Patton......yep, just like beer, it took me awhile to get it, yep, the guy is amazing.

I first got into blues via Jimi Hendrix. He became my fav artist when I was a Jr. in HS.

After listen'n to him for a few years, I tried to delve deeper into his influences. As this was also before the I-Net became useful for such things ('85), I fumbled about a lot - resulted in a mish-mash of artists - good stuff for the most part, but it was hit-and-miss.

Since then, I became familiar with the really well known stuff and a little bit of the lesser known - like RL.

It's about time I finished that research I wanted to do so long ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I first got into blues via Jimi Hendrix. He became my fav artist when I was a Jr. in HS.

After listen'n to him for a few years, I tried to delve deeper into his influences. As this was also before the I-Net became useful for such things ('85), I fumbled about a lot - resulted in a mish-mash of artists - good stuff for the most part, but it was hit-and-miss.

Since then, I became familiar with the really well known stuff and a little bit of the lesser known - like RL.

It's about time I finished that research I wanted to do so long ago.

Wow!  You will not believe this, I also got into them blues reading about Hendrix, Joplin, Bob Dylan, The Stones.  Just who is Blind Wiillie McTell, Robert Johnson, Bessie Smith? So I found out and got hooked.

I recommend ya buy that book I mentioned it;s great.

 

Edited by ZenoRazon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Wow!  You will not believe this, I also got into them blues reading about Hendrix, Joplin, Bob Dylan, The Stones.  Just who is Blind Wiillie McTell, Robert Johnson, Bessie Smith? So I found out and got hooked.

I recommend ya buy that book I mentioned it;s great.

 

HAH! That is awesome.

Joplin, Dylan & Stones for me also-----plus Led Zep, John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Cream, Allman Bros, Stevie Ray, ZZ Top (mostly early stuff - kinda lost me with Eliminator), Doors, George Thorogood, Robin Trower & a little bit of Johnny Winter. All these were my favs in the period leadin' up to my deeper look - that needs more lookin'.

 

Oh - will get the book - I'm in the middle of a long book series right now, that requires breaks now & again - kinda lets it seep it. This book will make a perfect break.

✌️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

HAH! That is awesome.

Joplin, Dylan & Stones for me also-----plus Led Zep, John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Cream, Allman Bros, Stevie Ray, ZZ Top (mostly early stuff - kinda lost me with Eliminator), Doors, George Thorogood, Robin Trower & a little bit of Johnny Winter. All these were my favs in the period leadin' up to my deeper look - that needs more lookin'.

 

Oh - will get the book - I'm in the middle of a long book series right now, that requires breaks now & again - kinda lets it seep it. This book will make a perfect break.

✌️

Damn~!

Dude, yes yes yes yes and yes, all those on my must listen to list,  along with Dr. John, Joe Cocker, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Canned Heat, The Grateful Dead, The Band, Country Joe and The Fish.

TONS...of pictures in the book, very nicely done, and it's all there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Damn~!

Dude, yes yes yes yes and yes, all those on my must listen to list,  along with Dr. John, Joe Cocker, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Canned Heat, The Grateful Dead, The Band, Country Joe and The Fish.

TONS...of pictures in the book, very nicely done, and it's all there.

Great list.

Dr. John, I got into -  finally in my 30s. I was pulled in by a version of Sweet Home New Orleans that was released on the Hurricane Katrina charity album (can't remember name or artists involved - I just heard on radio). This is not the version - cause I can't find it anywhere without paying for it. The main difference on my preferred version, is a longer ending with the "Home Sweet Home" refrain - very beautiful.

Dead finally came to me in my early 20's - lotsa trippin' goin' on for me then. 

Cocker, Canned Heat, The Band, Country Joe and The Fish came around the time I was already lookin' inta blues - so, I can't list em as inspirin' me, but they made my list very soon afterwards.

 

Paul Butterfield Blues Band I need to look into.

Edited by Man of Constant Sorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Great list.

Dr. John, I got into -  finally in my 30s. I was pulled in by a version of Sweet Home New Orleans that was released on the Hurricane Katrina charity album (can't remember name or artists involved - I just heard on radio). This is not the version - cause I can't find it anywhere without paying for it. The main difference on my preferred version, is a longer ending with the "Home Sweet Home" refrain - very beautiful.

Dead finally came to me in my early 20's - lotsa trippin' goin' on for me then. 

Cocker, Canned Heat, The Band, Country Joe and The Fish came around the time I was already lookin' inta blues - so, I can't list em as inspirin' me, but they made my list very soon afterwards.

 

Paul Butterfield Blues Band I need to look into.

Dr. John nails it there, his GRIS GRIS CD,  a.....interesting.

The 60's a HUGE difference from those Doo Wop vocal groups and rockabilly of the 50's, not that I don't dig that also own about all of it.

Canned Heat took that name from an old Tommy "Sold My Soul To The Devil" Johnson, tune..."Canned Heat"....it was some weird alcohol mix.

Paul Butterfield a must listen as is William Clark, James Harman and Robert Lucas.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGuoOyeUj-w

Edited by ZenoRazon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Dr. John nails it there, his GRIS GRIS CD,  a.....interesting.

The 60's a HUGE difference from those Doo Wop vocal groups and rockabilly, not that I don't dig that also own about all of all it.

Canned Heat took that name from an old Tommy "Sold My Soul To The Devil" Johnson, tune..."Canned Heat"....it was some weird alcohol mix.

Paul Butterfield a must listen as his William Clark, James Harman and Robert Lucas.

Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Driftin' Blues (Monterey 1967) - this is on my pc now - will go to the others as well.

Very cool story on the Canned Heat name - I like Tommy J (the little I've listened to), but never knew this story.

 

Yeah - I like Doo Wop and rackabilly (esp - Man of Contant Sorrow - tho not quite "rock") - but I agree on your preference. The electricity of 60's + really hits me harder.

 

Re: Gris Gris - I love whole album, but this is my fav: I Walk On Guilded Splinters

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Driftin' Blues (Monterey 1967) - this is on my pc now - will go to the others as well.

Very cool story on the Canned Heat name - I like Tommy J (the little I've listened to), but never knew this story.

 

Yeah - I like Doo Wop and rackabilly (esp - Man of Contant Sorrow - tho not quite "rock") - but I agree on your preference. The electricity of 60's + really hits me harder.

 

Re: Gris Gris - I love whole album, but this is my fav: I Walk On Guilded Splinters

 

That;s not what Butterfield does best, give.....Get Out of My Life Woman (Lee Dorsey cover)  a listen.

This is the original Driftin' Blues by the great Charles Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUyC2l--fSw

Gris Gris was unique and yes you nailed the star of the show.  Youtube Papa Mali doing his version of Guilded Splinters.

Tommy Johnson, Son House, Willie Brown, Charley Patton and Ishman Bracey the fathers of them Delta Blues, recorded blues that is, those who taught them...????

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

That;s not what Butterfield does best, give.....Get Out of My Life Woman (Lee Dorsey cover)  a listen

the Butterfield Blues Band get out of my life woman

Very nice. Love the piano.

10 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Youtube Papa Mali doing his version of Guilded Splinters.

Papa Mali: "Walk On Guilded Splinters"

Whoa - so different - yet hits the same buttons for me. Good find.

Love the growlin' guitar and voice of Papa Mali (?)

 

11 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Tommy Johnson, Son House, Willie Brown, Charley Patton and Ishman Bracey the fathers of them Delta Blues, recorded blues that is, those who taught them...????

Entered in my notebook. 👌

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.