What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deflategate 2.0- Pittsburgh Steelers according to Glazer (1 Viewer)

jvdesigns2002

Footballguy
Just figured that this is a developing story that should have its own thread.   I personally hope it's bogus and doesn't re-open the Pandora's box that we all just went through with Brady and the Patriots.  

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point what difference does it make??
At this moment in time--probably not much of a difference.  However--for Steelers fans--the possible punishment for this could be pretty steep (possibly draft picks..etc).   While it's not much of a story now--I do think there is a chance that it could end up resulting in some pretty relevant outcomes.  

Dang. I was a minute late. 

My title was better.  "Deflate Gate II: Electric Boogaloo"

:)

this may explain Big Ben's crazy home/road splits

I'm sure all the rabid Steelers fans who loudly supported Goodell punishing the Patriots for Deflategate will also support a similar 4-game suspension for Ben, and a loss of draft picks for the Steelers, right?

:lmao:

The league has already released a statement that all of the footballs were "in compliance."  Does that mean that they were all over 12.5 PSI?  I'm sure the league will provide that info shortly....  :lmao:

Precedence that science isn't applicable. It's also well known that the NFL isn't doing their spot checks and still aren't recording this information.

Long story short, not the Patriots so there is no story here.

Wake me up when there's something more to the story than the Giants testing two balls and complaining.

You know, like text messages where Ben is calling someone "The Deflator" or video of a ball boy illegally taking previously inspected game balls into a bathroom with no toilet or something.

But then again, anything to get the persecuted Patriots fans all riled about again is fine in my book!

Carry on..

I'm sure if the NFL looks through Ben's cell phone, they'll find plenty of evidence that Ben recently Bill-Cosby'ed some more women.   :P

Precedence that science isn't applicable. It's also well known that the NFL isn't doing their spot checks and still aren't recording this information.

Long story short, not the Patriots so there is no story here.
Lololololol youre funny

It's not a conspiracy but it's a pretty blatant double standard that this story gets swept under the rug so quickly by the league, without any explanation of inflation levels, etc...

Why did it take 7 days for this story to come out? Why isn't exponent on the phone with the league right now? Rhetorical cause I already answered this above.
possibly because there is no evidence, just two balls thay reportedly passed the test. no cell phone messages. no witnesses. 

what a likely scenario would look like to a non delusional person: 2 balls were filled just at the requirement. due to the weather the air constricted slightly, causing them to possibly be a hair under inflated. when they were tested by the league they passed because they were at room temp. not too difficult to figure it out. physics 101, Hot things expand and cold things constrict. 

or... there's so much evidence against the steelers that Goodell slapped the ball boy and a side judge with a gag order. he erased all the surveillance video evidence. gave hillary a call to see how best to destroy team Blackberrys. and then quickly destroyed the questionable balls in a wood chipper and burnednl the remains. all to save a rapist who has given his fair share of black eyes to the league. all because he hates the Patriots and wants to destroy them.

yeah... scenario 2 seems to make way more sense. 

I'd respect Pat fans much more (any nothings more than nothing) if they didn't get so butt hurt over their team getting caught cheating. 

No more which hunts by the NFL I guess??

same exact story and it's gone in 45 minutes.  The NFL is a joke.

Here's the thing that Pats fans always seem to forget... Brady essentially went OUT OF HIS WAY to be an ### about deflategate.  He felt like he was league royalty -- above the law.  He laughed at the initial questions in the interviews, he destroyed his cell phone with a hammer instead of sending it to the league as requested.

The whole thing would've gone away if he'd just kissed the ring from the very beginning.  From the first question -- "I'm honestly really surprised by this... we didn't willfully do anything to play with underinflated balls.  If I had any role in that, I'm really sorry and apologize to the league, the Colts, and all our fans."  It would've been over.

He destroyed his cell phone with a hammer instead of sending it to the league as requested.
Since we're rewriting history, this never happened. 

Also, cutting through all the hearsay and rumors, Mcadoo confirmed the team thought the balls were under inflated, that they tested them and that they were under inflated.

That being said, I guarantee you none of them even considered it was because it was cold. Nor do I think Maras and the Rooneys will pursue this.

Since we're rewriting history, this never happened. 

Also, cutting through all the hearsay and rumors, Mcadoo confirmed the team thought the balls were under inflated, that they tested them and that they were under inflated.

That being said, I guarantee you none of them even considered it was because it was cold. Nor do I think Maras and the Rooneys will pursue this.
This is true... we don't know that he used a an actual hammer to destroy his cell phone. It may have been a mallet. Or an axe. Or maybe even a crowbar. However, Tom Brady has testified that he did in fact destroy the cell phone, and apparently does this frequently. which the judge remarked "makes absolutely no sense whatsoever." If this, as Run It Up claims, did not happen, then why would tom Brady admit to it under oath and why would the judge even comment on it? hmmmm

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/judge-tom-bradys-defense-for-destroying-phone-makes-no-sense/

If anyone would like to rehash deflate gate, there is 300 pages of bull#### laying around here somewhere. Like when the league took more than a year to say that the Mortensen tweets were entirely inaccurate but we get league comments about this immediately after it comes out (a week after it happened.) Or how both the Colts and Giants have admitted to tampering by testing opponent balls during play, which is explicitly illegal.

Just eating breakfast and sitting around at work, mum is the word today - only people talking about it are on /r/nfl

But....but...like...Everyone does it!!

JK, JK...

My thought is, after what happened...the league is responsible for policing the air pressure in balls at the time the game is taking place.

How hard is it to hire one person to be on the sideline with an air pump and a tester to confirm the PSI of all balls going into play.

No chain of command to worry about, no clandestine scapegoats to frame... He (or she) is 100% responsible.

But....but...like...Everyone does it!!

JK, JK...

My thought is, after what happened...the league is responsible for policing the air pressure in balls at the time the game is taking place.

How hard is it to hire one person to be on the sideline with an air pump and a tester to confirm the PSI of all balls going into play.

No chain of command to worry about, no clandestine scapegoats to frame... He (or she) is 100% responsible.
making america great again one job at a time! 

They allegedly were going to do that but after the 2015 season decided they weren't going to do that and instead would do random spot checks, which reportedly is also not happening. Shocking I know. But muh integrity of the league.

For the conspiracy theorist Pats fans out there, what exactly is the alleged motivation behind Goodell trying to screw over the Patriots?  Is it that he wanted to smear the name of the poster boy of the brand he is paid to sell, thus making his job harder and probably costing him money, or is it that he wanted to screw over his long-time good friend just for the fun of it?

Everything about pursuing deflategate with the Pats hurt Goodell in every aspect of his life, both business and personal.  He had zero reason to be corrupt against the Patriots, and every reason to try and sweep everything under the rug.  The latter would have been better for his job and better for his personal life, so the idea that he was making something out of nothing or being unjustly hard on the Pats is a bit crazy.  If anything, his determination to pursue it in light of it being bad for him in every way means there was almost certainly something there that needed to be pursued.

Everything about pursuing deflategate with the Pats hurt Goodell in every aspect of his life, both business and personal.  He had zero reason to be corrupt against the Patriots, and every reason to try and sweep everything under the rug.
Two things, not suggesting he is out to get the Pats although a lot of people think it was an attempt to appease the owners who didn't like how Goodell handled spygate.

Second, Goodell is doing fine and the owners are thrilled that not only did the league maintain control of player discipline Goodell now has carte blanche to do with however he wishes until the next CBA regardless of the content of the current CBA or presedence.

The point is, in the past 15 years the wildly different set of standards the Pats are held to is still being denied.

For the conspiracy theorist Pats fans out there, what exactly is the alleged motivation behind Goodell trying to screw over the Patriots?  Is it that he wanted to smear the name of the poster boy of the brand he is paid to sell, thus making his job harder and probably costing him money, or is it that he wanted to screw over his long-time good friend just for the fun of it?

Everything about pursuing deflategate with the Pats hurt Goodell in every aspect of his life, both business and personal.  He had zero reason to be corrupt against the Patriots, and every reason to try and sweep everything under the rug.  The latter would have been better for his job and better for his personal life, so the idea that he was making something out of nothing or being unjustly hard on the Pats is a bit crazy.  If anything, his determination to pursue it in light of it being bad for him in every way means there was almost certainly something there that needed to be pursued.
I won't speak for them, but this is the reasoning that I understand: Goodell is mad that the Patriots "got away with" cheating by stealing signs and taping walk-throughs that he jumped on the first opportunity he had to punish them. Much like OJ getting away with murder but going away for something less egregious. However, according to Pat fans they never cheated or stole signals, and that was a conspiracy. 

So, adding this all together, there was a conspiracy to create a conspiracy to screw over the Patriots because they are so awesome?  :shrug:

Here's the thing that Pats fans always seem to forget... Brady essentially went OUT OF HIS WAY to be an ### about deflategate.  He felt like he was league royalty -- above the law.  He laughed at the initial questions in the interviews, he destroyed his cell phone with a hammer instead of sending it to the league as requested.

The whole thing would've gone away if he'd just kissed the ring from the very beginning.  From the first question -- "I'm honestly really surprised by this... we didn't willfully do anything to play with underinflated balls.  If I had any role in that, I'm really sorry and apologize to the league, the Colts, and all our fans."  It would've been over.
IMO, no matter what Brady or the Pats did or said right after the Colts game would not have made a difference. From what I have read and concluded (other opinions may differ), a large majority of the owners wanted the Pats to pay a severe penalty for what they felt was too light a punishment for Spygate in addition to a slew of other potential infractions. In essence, the rest of the league wanted their pound of flesh. Oddly enough, I don't blame Goodell, as he was only doing what he was told.

The Wells report and investigation told the narrative that the league wanted as an outcome. They basically came to a conclusion and reverse engineered the report. They wanted the Patriots to burn and they burned them. In the Steelers case, there apparently is no outcry or long history of other teams complaining about them, so in their case the league swept things under the rug. 

Not a surprise, as we all know the league has issues with consistency and at times makes things up as they go along. They could very easily have done the same thing with NE (the footballs were found to be compliant, nothing to see here) if they were interested in making the issue go away.

And to clarify, I am not suggesting the Patriots didn't do anything, only that the way the league proceeded they seemed pretty hell bent on punishing the Patriots.

IMO, no matter what Brady or the Pats did or said right after the Colts game would not have made a difference. From what I have read and concluded (other opinions may differ), a large majority of the owners wanted the Pats to pay a severe penalty for what they felt was too light a punishment for Spygate in addition to a slew of other potential infractions. In essence, the rest of the league wanted their pound of flesh. Oddly enough, I don't blame Goodell, as he was only doing what he was told.

The Wells report and investigation told the narrative that the league wanted as an outcome. They basically came to a conclusion and reverse engineered the report. They wanted the Patriots to burn and they burned them. In the Steelers case, there apparently is no outcry or long history of other teams complaining about them, so in their case the league swept things under the rug. 

Not a surprise, as we all know the league has issues with consistency and at times makes things up as they go along. They could very easily have done the same thing with NE (the footballs were found to be compliant, nothing to see here) if they were interested in making the issue go away.

And to clarify, I am not suggesting the Patriots didn't do anything, only that the way the league proceeded they seemed pretty hell bent on punishing the Patriots.
But according to Patriots fans, there was nothing to see with Spygate, it was all a conspiracy. Same with the other potential infractions. Conspiracies to create a conspiracy  :tinfoilhat:

Or do Pats fans admit that they did, in fact, cheat with Spygate and got away with a lesser punishment than was appropriate. That would at least give their conspiracy claims some ground to stand on

The long story short?  The NFL realizes that it majorly f***ed up the whole situation the first time.  They just suspended Brady because he didn't cooperate with the league, not because he deflated footballs.  The Steelers have cooperated, and the league learned more about the ideal gas law.

Also, the Giants mainly lost because they got shut down on offense which has little to do with ball inflation and Ben Mcadoo is passive aggressive as Fuuuuuuuuu**.  Do I know about the situation? Nope. Don't know about it at all. Except we got some balls, and they seemed squishy, and that was fishy to me, and maybe they cheated maybe they didn't.  But nope. Don't know nothing.

And as a Steelers fan, I thought Brady shouldn't have ever been suspended, but wasn't sad when he was.

I'm sure all the rabid Steelers fans who loudly supported Goodell punishing the Patriots for Deflategate will also support a similar 4-game suspension for Ben, and a loss of draft picks for the Steelers, right?

:lmao:
Considering a lack of an organization wide system of cheating, there's really no precedence for such a harsh first penalty. I even went to Pats Homer's holy grail yourteamcheats.com, and there is no organization wide evidence of any wrongdoing under the Steelers.

Users who are viewing this thread