Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rockaction

Venezuela Thread

Juan Guaidó’s U.S. representatives back TPS for Venezuelans. This could put Trump and some conservative republicans at odds with the Venezuelan community in South Florida. Scott, Rubio, Shala, Murcasel-Powell and Wasserman-Schulz all support TPS for Venezuelans. There could be 10s of thousands or more who would apply. I've run into a few who've overstayed visas and are ubering or working in restaurants. 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/venezuela/article230321099.html

2 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Looks like US security forces are about to invade the embassy 

https://twitter.com/answercoalition/status/1128079826886307840?s=21

In that 2 hour video, I probably could be found somewhere in there; I work in the adjacent building.  I would be hanging out with the opposition  Venezuelans, many of the first I've met since I've been in DC.  I know a number of Salvadoreans, Argentinians,  and a couple of Colombians and Brazilians. This video is being filmed on the other side of 30th Street from the embassy in the area cordoned off for the Code Pink supporters.  The Venezuelans are stationed directly in front of the embassy and south towards the waterfront.

About 6:30pm, the US Govt (I'm assuming the State Department) issued the eviction orders. They had this device that delivered very loud and high pitched signals.  I think from MPDC  (SOD DS0-1) It's been 4 hours and I understand that the remaining handful of occupiers want to be arrested and the US personnel want to sweep the building for firearms and bombs.  This #### was fascinating the first few days, but now it's tiresome.  I've met quite a few nice Venezuelans.  I'm working on a a buzz and will try to post some media.  We'll start with a simplified primer of what's going on.

https://thenib.com/a-showdown-at-the-venezuelan-embassy?t=default

8 minutes ago, rogwadd said:

In that 2 hour video, I probably could be found somewhere in there; I work in the adjacent building.  I would be hanging out with the opposition  Venezuelans, many of the first I've met since I've been in DC.  I know a number of Salvadoreans, Argentinians,  and a couple of Colombians and Brazilians. This video is being filmed on the other side of 30th Street from the embassy in the area cordoned off for the Code Pink supporters.  The Venezuelans are stationed directly in front of the embassy and south towards the waterfront.

About 6:30pm, the US Govt (I'm assuming the State Department) issued the eviction orders. They had this device that delivered very loud and high pitched signals.  I think from MPDC  (SOD DS0-1) It's been 4 hours and I understand that the remaining handful of occupiers want to be arrested and the US personnel want to sweep the building for firearms and bombs.  This #### was fascinating the first few days, but now it's tiresome.  I've met quite a few nice Venezuelans.  I'm working on a a buzz and will try to post some media.  We'll start with a simplified primer of what's going on.

https://thenib.com/a-showdown-at-the-venezuelan-embassy?t=default

Thanks for sharing. 

Pretty balanced take there, though it does omit a few things.  DC police and Secret Service have blocked civilians from getting food and water into the embassy, so they've effectively sided with the opposition in doing so.  The electricity has been cut off despite the fact that their bill with Pepco has been paid.  Same for their water.  

The US is acting like a rogue state and taking a huge #### on international diplomacy right now.  Whatever our thoughts on Venezuela- no govt should be able to shut off utilities and starve out legitimate occupants of a foreign embassy because they don't like the cut of that country's jib.  As per usual it's a total media blackout on the Trump admin's most abhorrent actions.  

On 5/13/2019 at 11:49 PM, ren hoek said:

Trump admin's most abhorrent actions.  

Yeah, I don't think this is in the top 10 of the admin's most abhorrent actions.

Glad you met some venezolanos @rogwadd. In my experience they are some of the funniest and crudest Latinos. Venezuelans learn at a young age the proper way to pepper their speech with vulgarity for comedic effect.

• Like 1

Law enforcement officers on Monday removed the chains that have for more than a month kept the Venezuelan Embassy in Washington locked shut, hours after posting an eviction notice telling the activists who have been camped inside that they would have to leave.

It was the first step in what many thought would be the forcible removal of the demonstrators, who have been living inside the embassy since April 10. But instead, a stalemate returned.

...Both sides have made themselves at home in recent weeks — with activists from Code Pink, Popular Resistance and Answer Coalition living inside the embassy since the second week of April and pro-Guaidó demonstrators guarding the building’s entrances and exits since April 30. ...

WaPo

- There aren't any Venezuelans in the embassy, just protesters? This seems really ridiculous.

The point of who should be in the embassy, Maduro's government or the Assembly's, is obviously highly relevant, but this is not that.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006