What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You Can't Choose Your Family (1 Viewer)

Limp Ditka

Footballguy
Fruity Pebbles thread about his brother seems in need of a spin off.

Some family members are just.... well....  let's just say they are members.

Let's hear about the awfulness that, whether by blood or marriage, you're related to.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have watched Shameless you know what I have dealt with.  I have an uncle that is Frank, even looks like him.  I also have about a half dozen crack head cousins. We all grew up together and once the grandparents died, it all fell apart and the boomer kids did their thing.

I have a Crazy mom, selfish deadbeat dad, and plenty of Irish guilt.  Multiple people in the family are manic, suicidal, and bi polar. The good news is I was never abused.

My sister and mom seem to love drama, but overall, I have little to complain about. All of the "losers" in my family are extended family members. 

It's the passive aggressive BS that gets to me and FP's thread about his brother reminded me of this. However, in typical LD fashion, no matter how much he might hate that passive aggressive BS, he's not above stooping the the level of the competition.

Both of my parents worked full time, so I spent a good portion of my childhood living with my maternal Grandmother. Up until I was around 8 or 9, my mom's youngest sister (obv my Aunt) also lived with my grandmother. At the time she was single, north of 30, probably would have had an army of cats if my grandmother would have allowed it.

For the most part this Aunt seemed pretty cool. Took me places, kept me entertained, but she was also a grade-a pain in the ### at times. For example, there was simply no passing through a door when she was around. She'd block it off and demand a 'toll booth' kiss for me to pass through. Elbow on the dinner table meant that elbow got forked. That kind of generally annoying crap and those are the memories that stuck.

Eventually the woman finally found some sucker to marry her and off to California she went. She'd come back around every couple of years to visit, but we never really stayed all that close.

Over time, I started to realize what a ##### she really was. Something in her and my mother's relationship changed and she would have nothing nice to say about her. Then I stumbled upon the letter from the aunt questioning her as to how she was raising me. When I asked my my mom about it she told me to forget about it because the aunt was just upset with her about something and was just using me to get to her. I shrugged it off since I never really saw her anyway. 

However, she wasn't done writing letters..... 

The year my son was born, she let it be known around March that she was going to be in town over the 4th of July that year and to let us know when we'd be available so she could meet her great nephew. At the time, we always did a weekend getaway with friends over the 4th and had no intentions of changing those plans. I told her this with the caveat that this year's plans weren't set in stone yet, but odds are we wouldn't be around, but if something changed, I'd let her know.

A couple of weeks after that conversation the mail comes and there's a letter addressed to my then 4 month old son. I open it and it's from the Aunt. Long story short, she penned who she was and her entire history with me to him. Then she ended the letter by saying that she's sorry she won't have a chance to meet him over the 4th of July holiday and that despite her efforts of raising me right, this is happening because I'm obviously incapable of putting family first.  

We're pushing 17 years since that's happened. I haven't spoken a word to her since and she has still never met my son.

I started a thread about my MIL a while back, but that drama has settled down.

I don't get along with my siblings all that well, but it is nothing to write home about. 

I have occasional family drama (apparently my mom and sister aren't currently speaking, but that will blow over), but nothing major.

I've learned to focus on friends (ie, the family I choose) rather than focus too much energy on those I share DNA, and little else, with.

I have a wonderful father

When I told him Riley was dying he said "Life is tough, everyone has their share of problems"

If you have watched Shameless you know what I have dealt with.  I have an uncle that is Frank, even looks like him.  I also have about a half dozen crack head cousins.  Crazy mom, selfish deadbeat dad, and Irish guilt.  The good news is I was never abused.
I probably came dangerously close to this life. Was born south side of Chicago and my father was a tremendous drunk. The hard life he lived was already catching up to him before I was born and before I was 3 months old, he had passed from cirrhosis. By the time I was 2, my mom and her mother had relocated us to the suburbs.

Always makes me feel weird to hear about family dysfunction. I feel very sorry for anyone that goes through that; I can't even imagine what it's like to not want to speak with my family.

Well, my wife's estranged father abused her - enough said.  It's best I never meet the guy or terrible things would surely follow. For him.  Deservedly so I may add.

My wife's mother was not ready to have a child, essentially leaving her to be raised by her grandparents, outside the two years of hell she was with her father. To this day, her mother calls her to "talk about things" which is code for "can you send me money" - even knowing that I have been at less than half pay for over a year and we are in debt due to my medical issues.  Just asks, asks, asks... never gives ####. 

On my side, nothing so egregious, but on a lighter note, my uncle is a real winner (Mother's brother). A few tidbits:

1. When we were kids and he'd come visit, aside from mooching everything, he would fill the fridge with Beer.  Mind you, my parents didn't have alcohol around where we could get them, and if it's not bad enough to do this even though my mother specifically asked him not to, he actually twice EMPTIED the fridge and just let #### sit on the counter top, so he could make room for his beer.

2. For my bar mitzvah, my mother was understandably concerned about what he would end up wearing. GQ this guy was not (I say was because it's been well over 20, maybe close to 30 years since I've seen him).  She offered to pay for him to get a suit.  Well, he took the money and spent half.  Why? Because it was cheaper to find a brown sport coat, and DIFFERENT but "similar" brown slacks.  Yup, he took half the money so he could make a "Bernie Suit" as we now call it. Mismatched browns that just looked terrible.  Yes, his name was Bernie.

3. I remember one of the rare vocal fights my parents (mom and step dad) got into when I was in high school.  My step dad was going off on how the hell could my mother have these series of tickets from the City and NEVER tell him (car was technically owned by the company, so the company got all these late notices and unpaid fines and the like from 2-3 days in a row).  Well, things calmed down and they did the math. YOU GUESSED IT! Guess who was in town and using my mom's car? Bingo.. Bernie.  His excuse was "well, I live in Canada... EEEHHHHH.... so I didn't think I'd have to pay those fines"

Yeah idiot, you didn't. The owner of the vehicle to which it's registered did.  As if he didn't really know. What a scumbag

4. Finally, upon the death of my grandparents, Bernie essentially squatted in their house, making it a huge deal for my mother to get her fair share of what inheritance there was.  He still lives in that house, has never given a dime to my mother (although, before she had enough of him, certainly took far more than dimes) and no longer is a part of any of our lives. 

Here is a good family story.  Every time my SIL gets a little loaded she flashes her dam near perfect breasts. Looking forward to seeing them again soon over the holidays.

Pisses my wife off.

Over the years I have seen her boobs at least 20 times.

My family is so good that I look around and I know...

I'm that guy.  :unsure:

I'm sorry to hear these stories. Abuse and alcoholism and being taken advantage of or having dealt with cruelty (shady) is certainly not funny. 

I don't know about tollbooth kisses. That sounds weird, LD.  Sorry to hear it.  

Don't take this the wrong way but Bernie sounds like he'd be cool to hang around with.
You'd think right?

And he was.  When I was 8.  10 even. By 12 the creepy factor, inability to dress himself, utter moochiness and lack of any consideration for others had already become painfully obvious. 

He's like the cool uncle who is the least cool person in the world.  There's not much left but his boozing and idiocy.

My mom never told my dad about me (long distance relationship that ended just after my conception)

Her next man knocked her up twice and treated me like garbage. Apparently she told me when I was two that he wasn't my dad. Like I would remember. I spent 33  years of my life thinking he was my dad and he hated me. 

He left when I was 7 and I spent the next 12 years raising my two younger brothers while she dated loser after loser. 

We ate our meals on silverware discoloured from burning hash.  We went to bed early (three of us in one bedroom) so they could smoke pot. 

Although I never got to play sports due to my obligations, she did give me the gift of intelligence.  

After I left for university she got addicted to the Internet and lost her job. When I got successful she asked me for money (she doesn't work). Eff that. 

I met my dad when I was 35 and once a year when I return to the area where I grew up to visit him I bring my kids to see my mom.  That is my only contact with her.  

I don't hate her, but if I never talked to her again I would be Ok with it. 

My mom never told my dad about me (long distance relationship that ended just after my conception)

Her next man knocked her up twice and treated me like garbage. Apparently she told me when I was two that he wasn't my dad. Like I would remember. I spent 33  years of my life thinking he was my dad and he hated me. 

He left when I was 7 and I spent the next 12 years raising my two younger brothers while she dated loser after loser. 

We ate our meals on silverware discoloured from burning hash.  We went to bed early (three of us in one bedroom) so they could smoke pot. 

Although I never got to play sports due to my obligations, she did give me the gift of intelligence.  

After I left for university she got addicted to the Internet and lost her job. When I got successful she asked me for money (she doesn't work). Eff that. 

I met my dad when I was 35 and once a year when I return to the area where I grew up to visit him I bring my kids to see my mom.  That is my only contact with her.  

Hows the relationship with the dad you never knew you had?

My Dad's son is a complete jackass.  His homerism of Oregon sports is out of control.  So sick of hearing how great his family and job are.  Poopsenders.com will come in handy this Christmas 

Jesus. I think John Bender and you need to switch user names.

:(

We have our fair share of crazy, but reading these posts makes me realize how lucky I am to have a relatively sane family.

:(  

I picture Bernie looking like Larry David
Not too far off! Just imagine a little more weeble wobble shaped, worse combover (this was when he was probably 35) and a ton less wit. Like a more drunken can-EH-dian version of Larry David with no discernible skills or talents.  

I think it'd be pretty easy to ignore dumb siblings, aunts, uncles, in-laws. But I would have a hard time shutting out my parents.

I think it'd be pretty easy to ignore dumb siblings, aunts, uncles, in-laws. But I would have a hard time shutting out my parents.
Best decision I ever made was to stop talking to my dad 3.5 years ago (with a brief resolution when Riley was sick). Removed so much stress from my life.

Then again, I agree with this only because my parents are not god awful pathetic excuses for human beings. Like my wife's father, for example.  It's shockingly easy at that point (and better, to be honest)

Hows the relationship with the dad you never knew you had?
Not the best but that is my fault. He is a good person and probably wants more of a relationship. 

He can't travel due to health and lives three hours away. I have no reason to be in that area and neither he or my mother have a place that my family can stay at if we visit. 

After living 35 years without a dad, I built up a mental protection for myself and convinced myself I don't need one.  It is hard to break that down. 

With my father dying, my mom was on the open market. She eventually met my step-father and they married when I was 5. 

My step-father was from a similar situation as me. While he wasn't an only child he was the only child of his mother and father. His biological father didn't pass, but left at an early age and had other children with another woman. He had virtually no contact with that family, so he was essentially raised an only child by his mother and grandmother. His mother (Agnes) also got remarried so he too had a step father, Don.

Don was rolling in the dough. Never had kids, waited to get married, president of a bank, probably some shady under the table dealings going on to help stuff the coffers even more. He was about 20 years older than Agnes who, outside of having a kid and a mother in tow, she was actually quite the catch. Trophy wife looks, tons of fun, drank and smoked (I'm assuming this was a quality in the 60s), could cook up a storm.

About 2 years into the marriage, Agnes finds out that Don has a side piece and threatens to leave him. Bags packed, ready to take herself, mom and kid out the door.

Somehow, Agnes and Don reconcile and they're the one's the live happily ever after for the next 15-20 years. Being 20 years Agnes' senior, Don passes away first. Lawyer tells her to be at his office to hear the executor of the estate read the will. When she gets there, the side piece is there.

He left the house, worth $450K in 1984 money, to side piece

My mother disowned my whole family because my then 6 or 7 year old daughter wasn't made to apologize to her for a "look" she gave her.  Totally ridiculous.  We only reconciled after she was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer.  No chance to live.  It was painful.  Still is.  I miss her but I don't miss that venom.  

She burned more bridges in her life than anyone I know.  When she found out she had cancer the first words out of her mouth were her siblings who were barred from attending the funeral.  And yet at her funeral I found out she was a beloved school nurse and kids would request her for shots and what not.  So kind and yet so mean.  I don't get it.  I guess I never will.  

Only have two family members that are a mess, my aunt and uncle on my mom's side.

My grandfather was an overbearing, strict and verbally abusive man who left a wake of insecurity within each of his 4 children.  One is dead, one is my mom (who has her issues, but is the most stable) and the other two are the aforementioned aunt & uncle. 

Story behind my psycho aunt: My mom was a twin (they were the youngest), but the twin was shot and killed by her husband who then killed himself leaving 2 young daughters.  He was the son of a wealthy couple and had become a drug addict and killed her because she was leaving him.  A custody battle ensued over the girls between our family and the killer's parents that left the girls in the custody of my mom's older sister (the crazy one) because her and her husband were the most financially stable at the time.  This aunt proceeded to raise the girls with her son and daughter, but they were always treated a little different.  She is a very dominating and overbearing person much like her father.  It is her way or the highway at all times.  After the girls got older and started living their own lives (now both about 40 yrs old), this wore on them.  About 5 years ago, the younger, smarter sister, told my aunt that she is no longer to act like her mother by trying to run her life, but to just treat her like her niece.  That didn't go over well and has set off a war between those that talk to my cousin and those that don't.  Nearly everyone still talks to my cousin who is a fantastic person, so my aunt has cut off ties from basically everyone, including her mother (my grandma) who is basically a saint.  If this aunt, who is my least favorite person in the world, shows up when my grandmother dies and ruins the funeral or comes after my mother I am going to light into her with both barrels.  I read an email she sent to my mother once that was one of the most hate-filled vile thing I've ever read.

Story behind loser uncle:  He basically has a severe inferiority complex from his dad not ever showing him enough (any?) love.  Thinks anyone that questions anything he says is out to get him and is all in on right wing news.  He is a truck driver and so bad with money that my grandmother still handles his finances.  She's 89 and he's 68. :mellow:   He's the only extended family member I've ever gotten into a verbal argument with.  It was over a card game.  He at least has a good heart but has some insane beliefs and is insanely stubborn and can't handle being wrong about anything.  We get along fine, but I can't handle him for more than a couple of hours.

The rest of the family (especially my dad's side) are normal to exceptional people.  I'm very lucky.  And my wife's side is pretty good all around.  Especially our siblings.  We are super close to my sister, her brothers and all of their spouses.

My mother disowned my whole family because my then 6 or 7 year old daughter wasn't made to apologize to her for a "look" she gave her.  Totally ridiculous.  We only reconciled after she was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer.  No chance to live.  It was painful.  Still is.  I miss her but I don't miss that venom.  

She burned more bridges in her life than anyone I know.  When she found out she had cancer the first words out of her mouth were her siblings who were barred from attending the funeral.  And yet at her funeral I found out she was a beloved school nurse and kids would request her for shots and what not.  So kind and yet so mean.  I don't get it.  I guess I never will.  
Yep my Dad was the same way. Vile to his own family but everyone's favorite co-worker. Beloved. Boggled my mind.

my parents are/were amazing... caring, supportive, patient, giving... really amazing people and amazing relationship.

my older brother is a decent enough guy- probably fits all of the above adjectives. but he's always been essentially... absent from my life. almost 6 years older, so it wasn't like we were ever going to play much together. and he was never malicious or mean- just absent.

one thing though- he was/is the guy would preface almost every response with "well, actually..."- which I realized, or at least understood, to mean "whatever you just told me is wrong, here's what's right". definitely a know-it all... and again, even though I eventually took it badly, I know he had/has no ill-will behind it. but definitely put in me at a young age to constantly question myself- and not in a useful, proactive way. both his kids have grown up saying that phrase... and even though they're good kids, I want to punch them both in the nose when they say it. I'm pretty sure I can count on both hands the amount of times he's called me- none of them without my having called first. absent. 

:shrug:  this is fluff compared to what most of you have gone through or are going through. but people talk about their relationships, good or bad, and it's almost like I never even had a brother.

Somehow, Agnes and Don reconcile and they're the one's the live happily ever after for the next 15-20 years. Being 20 years Agnes' senior, Don passes away first. Lawyer tells her to be at his office to hear the executor of the estate read the will. When she gets there, the side piece is there.

W

O

W

Yep my Dad was the same way. Vile to his own family but everyone's favorite co-worker. Beloved. Boggled my mind.
I think my mom grew up in a home that had sexual abuse in it.  I don't know.  There was some words spoken while we were on the death watch. I tend to think some of her brothers abused their younger siblings.  There were 10 of them.  I wasn't abused, nor do I think any of my brothers were.  I know one uncle creeped me the #### out as a kid. Another was quite phyiscally abusive (he'd beat us with belts when he babysat us).   Lot's of weirdness with that family.  The siblings (7 remain) don't speak with one another much.  Sounds like it was quite a horrible life my mom led.  Right up until she met my dad.  Had us two brothers and ####ed around on him with my younger brother's dad.  Who beat the #### out of her while we were all home.  Then she divorced him and got engaged to another guy.  Alas he was already married and mom was the side piece.  So she eventually settled on a very good man who is a very docile drunk.  But he wasn't abusive.  He was just a drunk.  I couldn't have passed high school algebra without him.  

My mom went from one form of dysfunction to another her whole short life.  May she rest in peace.  

my parents are/were amazing... caring, supportive, patient, giving... really amazing people and amazing relationship.

my older brother is a decent enough guy- probably fits all of the above adjectives. but he's always been essentially... absent from my life. almost 6 years older, so it wasn't like we were ever going to play much together. and he was never malicious or mean- just absent.

one thing though- he was/is the guy would preface almost every response with "well, actually..."- which I realized, or at least understood, to mean "whatever you just told me is wrong, here's what's right". definitely a know-it all... and again, even though I eventually took it badly, I know he had/has no ill-will behind it. but definitely put in me at a young age to constantly question myself- and not in a useful, proactive way. both his kids have grown up saying that phrase... and even though they're good kids, I want to punch them both in the nose when they say it. I'm pretty sure I can count on both hands the amount of times he's called me- none of them without my having called first. absent. 

:shrug:  this is fluff compared to what most of you have gone through or are going through. but people talk about their relationships, good or bad, and it's almost like I never even had a brother.
Sucks to hear that, man.  My brother is 8 years younger than me, so I understand the age gap.  Mine is fluff too, but since we're sharing...

My sister is the most selfish person I know and I'm pretty sure its because she's become a spitting image of mom.  She's displaying the same exact selfish tenancies mom showed post-divorce that just about disowned all 3 of us from mom (many years ago).  The 3 of us were all incredibly close siblings as we got older, but ever since she had her kid..... OOOOF.  She drives both my brother and I crazy with her selfish ways.

Everything down to the last meaningless detail is all about her or her son with no care about anyone else.  She can twist anything she wants into it being about them; it's a pretty amazing thing to see.  She's used my wife, mother inlaw, and I to where we felt pretty taken advantage of.  My wife and her mother are the 2 most easy going, willing to help anyone, types of people I've ever known.  When they are speaking up about it - you know something's wrong.

It came to a boil this summer to the point I had a face to face discussion with her (she was insisting on texting about it :rolleyes:  ).  When I told her we felt taken advantage of, she told me straight faced that the only person she feels like she can count on is her best friend.  That cut pretty deep given all we've done for her and her kid over the past 7 years. 

It's to the point where I've been distancing myself from her because I just can't handle her drama.  Luckily she decided to move ~20mins south of us - that physical distance has helped alleviate some of the anxiety since she's no longer in our laps virtually every day.  My brother is much less accepting of her BS - they don't speak much at all, and when they do it usually turns into some stupid argument that I'll get stuck mediating.  

With my father dying, my mom was on the open market. She eventually met my step-father and they married when I was 5. 

My step-father was from a similar situation as me. While he wasn't an only child he was the only child of his mother and father. His biological father didn't pass, but left at an early age and had other children with another woman. He had virtually no contact with that family, so he was essentially raised an only child by his mother and grandmother. His mother (Agnes) also got remarried so he too had a step father, Don.

Don was rolling in the dough. Never had kids, waited to get married, president of a bank, probably some shady under the table dealings going on to help stuff the coffers even more. He was about 20 years older than Agnes who, outside of having a kid and a mother in tow, she was actually quite the catch. Trophy wife looks, tons of fun, drank and smoked (I'm assuming this was a quality in the 60s), could cook up a storm.

About 2 years into the marriage, Agnes finds out that Don has a side piece and threatens to leave him. Bags packed, ready to take herself, mom and kid out the door.

That may be the worst story of them all.  Wow.  Greatest generation or Boomer?

Family isn't all about blood. I have many people that I consider fam over some of my blood fam. Ditch the negative ones who do nothing but constantly make your life miserable and keep those who truly support you beyond words. Create your own fam.

Family isn't all about blood. I have many people that I consider fam over some of my blood fam. Ditch the negative ones who do nothing but constantly make your life miserable and keep those who truly support you beyond words. Create your own fam.
Damn right.  

I have a SIL who isn't mentally healthy; my layman's diagnosis is borderline personality. She comes off as really nice but extremely fake and is easily the most annoying human I've ever encountered, and that even includes television (Richard Simmons, Fran Drescher, etc.).

She's especially manipulative and knows just how to find a person's weak spot and exploit it, much like a psychopath. My wife is kind and generous to a fault, so SIL uses guilt with her. Thankfully my wife has finally cut off contact with her and that has helped, though SIL still uses social media and other siblings to stir up ####. I'm getting close to calling her up and letting her know how I feel, which won't be pretty. One more event where my wife is left crying may do it.

I have a SIL who isn't mentally healthy; my layman's diagnosis is borderline personality. She comes off as really nice but extremely fake and is easily the most annoying human I've ever encountered, and that even includes television (Richard Simmons, Fran Drescher, etc.).

She's especially manipulative and knows just how to find a person's weak spot and exploit it, much like a psychopath. My wife is kind and generous to a fault, so SIL uses guilt with her. Thankfully my wife has finally cut off contact with her and that has helped, though SIL still uses social media and other siblings to stir up ####. I'm getting close to calling her up and letting her know how I feel, which won't be pretty. One more event where my wife is left crying may do it.
Why wait? 

Users who are viewing this thread