What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty stashes (1 Viewer)

stuckinthemuck

Footballguy
Let's start a list of players who can ride your bench for a few months. The goal is to find obscure or out-of-favor names who can see a rise in value during the playoffs and/or after this season ends. 

QB

Mike Glennon

Paxton Lynch

Matt Barkley

RB

Andre Ellington

Keith Marshall

WR

Kendall Wright

Devin Funchess

Tyler Lockett

Adam Humphries

Jeff Janis...c'mon...who's with me?!

TE

AJ Derby

Josh Hill

Defense 

Tampa Bay

Houston

Kenny Stills. Only 24. A free agent next year and he's quietly having a decent season. Almost 600 yards and 6 TDs on 34 catches. Out of 63 targets.

Mister CIA said:
Hmm, don't see Cardale Jones listed in MFL player database.  Shouldn't he be?
He's sitting on one team's taxi squad in our league. You might want to look again. 
Quadrupled checked. Don't see him in my league. Pretty sure the OP is in my league, maybe he can confirm.

ETA: Not the OP, but the next guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quadrupled checked. Don't see him in my league. Pretty sure the OP is in my league, maybe he can confirm.

ETA: Not the OP, but the next guy.

He's rostered or a FA in all my leagues. Either way he exists in the system (MFL). Did you search his last name in the player search? He'll pop up.

He's rostered or a FA in all my leagues. Either way he exists in the system (MFL). Did you search his last name in the player search? He'll pop up.
Gracias! I'm a moron. My method is was to show top 500 performers and filter on team or position. 

ETA: And use CTRL-F brute force.

Darius Jackson
Im looking to stash him in the offseason as well as AJ Derby. 
Deep benches sure.  Darius is one of the few EMU Eagles in the league so as a fellow alumnus I'll be cheering for him but he sure hasn't shown anything other than raw physical traits.  Not that we'd expect him to have done anything in Dallas but even in college his vision and motivation was lacking.  Still, if your bench is deep enough he's worth a stash.  

My current stashes on one team :

Barkley, Darius, Jalin marshall, McAvoy, derby, Russell Shephard, Smelter (don't know why but I haven't brought myself to drop him yet), Eric Rogers, Blake bell, Kessler, and DeValve.   (Yeah, it's a deep league)

Here's my stashes fwiw:

ETA - QB Glennon, but that has been because he is Winston's handcuff, not primarily as a stash

RB Jalen Richard

WR Eli Rogers

WR Rashard Higgins

WR Jordan Taylor

TE Trey Burton

LB Vince Williams

Likely kicking TE Jeff Heuerman to the curb unless there is a dramatic change next year

How in the Seven Hells is he "obscure or out of favor" in a dynasty format?
Right? That's my thought about a lot of these names. Are these guys supposed to be people that can possibly be found in the FA pool? The OP made it sound like that but then listed Funchess, Wright, and Lockett

If we really mean obscure and out of favor...

QB Glennon - there are plenty of QB needy teams that he'd be a huge upgrade for. He's shown enough to warrant a shot at a starting job.

WR Jaron Brown - I know JJ Nelson is the popular sleeper, but the guy is 5'6". They already have a small speedy guy in John Brown. I know he's dealing with sickle cell, but plenty of other players have dealt with it just fine. I expect John Brown to start next year. With Floyd (6'3" 4.47) departing, I think Jaron Brown (6'2" 4.45) is the more likely candidate to replace him than JJ Nelson. Granted, they could find someone in the offseason, but if we're looking for a cheap stash, this is a good one.

TE Devalve - someone already mentioned him, but he's got potential and Barnidge is no spring chicken.

RB I can't find one worth mentioning that's available in any of my leagues.

I have a lot of overlap with my stashes and guys listed here.  Neither of my leagues is true "dynasty" - one contract league and one salary cap auction - but here are guys I have to look through for a couple of gems between the two:

Glennon, Garoppolo, Barkley, Richard, Farrow, Keith Marshall, Gilislee, Derby, DeValve

And some DEEP WR stashes because I had room: Brice Butler, Cody Latimer, Jalin Marshall

Right? That's my thought about a lot of these names. Are these guys supposed to be people that can possibly be found in the FA pool? The OP made it sound like that but then listed Funchess, Wright, and Lockett

If we really mean obscure and out of favor...

QB Glennon - there are plenty of QB needy teams that he'd be a huge upgrade for. He's shown enough to warrant a shot at a starting job.

WR Jaron Brown - I know JJ Nelson is the popular sleeper, but the guy is 5'6". They already have a small speedy guy in John Brown. I know he's dealing with sickle cell, but plenty of other players have dealt with it just fine. I expect John Brown to start next year. With Floyd (6'3" 4.47) departing, I think Jaron Brown (6'2" 4.45) is the more likely candidate to replace him than JJ Nelson. Granted, they could find someone in the offseason, but if we're looking for a cheap stash, this is a good one.

TE Devalve - someone already mentioned him, but he's got potential and Barnidge is no spring chicken.

RB I can't find one worth mentioning that's available in any of my leagues.

He's been getting playing time lately. He's finally healthy and learning the playbook. Jackson has said some very encouraging things about him recently too.

He's been getting playing time lately. He's finally healthy and learning the playbook. Jackson has said some very encouraging things about him recently too.
Yeah, the window is closing to pick him up. Probably gone already in deeper leagues.

I don't think we've seen the last of Matt Jones. It may not be in Washington, but he does have some talent that could surface somewhere else.

This season I took over a dynasty team I didn't have to blow up so much as nuke from orbit, so I have a lot of dynasty stashes.  A lot.  It is also an established league with some very savvy owners, so I am having to go deep.  I'm not saying these will all be available in your leagues, as many of the above either weren't in mine or are already on my roster, these are just some of the ones that weren't.

Kapri Bibbs

Jaron Brown

Malcom Brown

Benny Cunningham

Corey Grant

Branden Oliver

Tanner McEvoy

Paul Turner

Dion Sims

I don't think we've seen the last of Matt Jones. It may not be in Washington, but he does have some talent that could surface somewhere else.
The thing that concerns me most with guys like Jones is that are quite literally 10 or so RB's whom will get drafted this year that have as much or more talent as Jones.  Just seems like he'd always gave a tough time holding down a starting spot long-term.

The thing that concerns me most with guys like Jones is that are quite literally 10 or so RB's whom will get drafted this year that have as much or more talent as Jones.  Just seems like he'd always gave a tough time holding down a starting spot long-term.
He's also under contract for two more years.  Teams don't tend to let guys with any level of talent on a cheap rookie contract get away.

This season I took over a dynasty team I didn't have to blow up so much as nuke from orbit, so I have a lot of dynasty stashes.  A lot.  It is also an established league with some very savvy owners, so I am having to go deep.  I'm not saying these will all be available in your leagues, as many of the above either weren't in mine or are already on my roster, these are just some of the ones that weren't.

Kapri Bibbs

Jaron Brown

Malcom Brown

Benny Cunningham

Corey Grant

Branden Oliver

Tanner McEvoy

Paul Turner

Dion Sims

These are all on my radar too. Jaron has size but he's likely behind Fitz, John Brown, and Nelson for another season. Tanner's buried too. They invested a draft pick in Vannett and he's a great two-way TE, I think. Philly is pulling out the kitchen sink to figure what they have. Turner has shown more already than the other PS darling, Treggs, and is essentially auditioning for snaps next year with these few weeks. Sims is a low usage, block first TE. I'd rather not waste my time.

These are all on my radar too. Jaron has size but he's likely behind Fitz, John Brown, and Nelson for another season. Tanner's buried too. They invested a draft pick in Vannett and he's a great two-way TE, I think. Philly is pulling out the kitchen sink to figure what they have. Turner has shown more already than the other PS darling, Treggs, and is essentially auditioning for snaps next year with these few weeks. Sims is a low usage, block first TE. I'd rather not waste my time.
I'm all for hearing other opinions of these players, so thanks for the comments.  I'm going to have a lot of tough cut decisions to make with 10 draft picks in this upcoming draft.

Like some of these names and have them stashed myself... I'll add some others (in no particular oder).

QBs
Mike Glennon -- is arguably the best one for those in need of a QB, and IMO, unless you have a top-5 guy, might as well keep throwing darts till you hit big on one.  Is Glennon going to be a stud QB? Well, probably not, but as @FF Ninja said, he's shown enough to get himself a shot next year somewhere.  Maybe he doesn't enter as a clear cut lead guy, but I'd bet he's in a competition with a mid-round rookie or an older vet.  Off the top of my head, IMO he's better than what the Browns, Bears, Texans, 49ers, and Jets are rolling out right now, and you could make an argument for him over Palmer in Arizona and Tannehill in Miami.  In fact, Glennon may be an excellent fit with Arians' passing system.  Glennon can start in the league, I believe.  
Jimmy Garrapolo has already received some press about being the apple of Hugh Jackson's eye.  We'll see if that's legit, but he could potentially be traded if NE feels good enough about Brisset behind Brady (or some other rookie they pick up).  
AJ McCarron fits the same bill as Garrapolo, but Cinci would need to find a deal they feel is worth passing up a year of a quality backup to Dalton.

RBs
Brandon Wilds -- We all saw what he could do in the preseason for Atlanta, until he got hurt and subsequently released with an injury settlement.  He spent most of the year on the Jets practice squad before being added to the active roster last week.  Now Forte's banged up, so we may see Wilds get some action down the stretch.  Given the Jets cap woes, Forte isn't going anywhere with his $6MM dead cap hit in 2017, but he'll be 33 and is already getting banged up.  Powell has a $4.3MM dead cap hit, so he's not going anywhere either.  Yeah that seems like a lot of competition, but these things change quickly in the NFL.  Plus Wilds could always be released at the end of the year.  Remember, Wilds is the guy Matt Waldman said was his next Spencer Ware -- a RB he believed had the skills to be a starter in the NFL when given the opportunity.
Darius Jackson -- FREAK athlete - we all know that, but now he's not buried behind Zeke and Alfred Morris.  I think the Cowboys screwed this up to keep one of Jerruh's boys in McFadden, who should be on the street.  Dallas apparently wanted Jackson back on their PS, but there were multiple waiver claims, which tell me that NFL scouts still believe this guy's got talent.  Cleveland's not such a bad landing spot either -- Crowell is a FA (though restricted), and DJJ doesn't seem to have their trust as an every down back.  San Francisco also entered a claim, reportedly, and I've seen rumors there were others.  When multiple teams try to get a guy, I pay attention, especially for the price of a roster spot.
Kapri Bibbs -- Could've been cut in some leagues after getting injured and IR'd, thinking the Broncos would just play someone else next year.  That's surely possible, and Denver may well choose to draft someone else in search of an upgrade... but Bibbs was flashing, and if he doesn't get a shot in Denver, it's certainly possible someone else in NFL circles was noticing.  Denver's not in cap trouble per se, but CJA is pretty easy to let go (only a $1.7MM hit).  They could also decide it's best to give Anderson, Booker, and Bibbs another go at it.
Karlos Williams -- More of a longshot, though we've seen what he can do when healthy and in-shape.  Could end up as Bell's primary handcuff if DW moves on, or in an even better situation should Pittsburgh and Bell not reach an agreement.
Tyler Gaffney -- Is this the year NE decides to part ways with Blount?  Unlikely, but possible...
Terrelle Watson -- Freak athlete again that received some buzz in the offseason.  He's actually in Denver now, and could be worth an offseason roster spot.
Andre Ellington -- probably owned as a handcuff right now... but he could be available.  I doubt he gets a lead back gig elsewhere, but he's a FA and has flashed in the league before.
Kelvin Taylor / Troymaine Pope -- Guys Seattle has brought in after injuries to Prosise and now Pope.  Alex Collins keeps hanging around, yet they keep adding other guys and giving them work ahead of Collins.  Rawls and Prosise own this backfield for next year, but that doesn't mean these guys couldn't surface elsewhere.
Malcolm Brown -- More of a pipe dream with this one stuck behind Gurley, but i like the talent and what he's shown with his opportunities.  Guys his size with the elite levels of agility that he's posted generally make some noise at some point.  He's got another 2 years on his contract, but he theoretically could be traded, or something could happen to Gurley (maybe he's traded by the new administration (stranger things have happened).  Unlikely, but his talent bears mentioning.

WR/TEs
AJ Derby -- My favorite TE stash if he's still available... Denver gave up a solid pick to acquire him, and Derby continues to flash.  Kubiak's offense has always been kind to TEs, and Derby's in position to take advantage in 2017 and beyond.
Jaron Brown -- I think it's easy to forget that Brown's snaps were increasing and he was seeing more and more playing time prior to his injury.  He had practically relegated Floyd to the bench already.  Nelson is very small and has a specific role, Fitz has a specific role, and John Brown has health issues as well.  It's very plausible Jaron emerges in the offseason to a fairly prominent role in that passing game.
Martavis Bryant -- Shouldn't be available anyway, but you should make sure he isn't.
Tanner McEvoy -- getting a little more action lately... he's a huge target, though the depth chart is really crowded right now.  Those things sometimes clear up over an offseason though.
DeAndre Smelter -- Is this still a thing?
Seth DeValve -- as others have mentioned, Barnidge is getting up there in age (32 next year), though he's not going anywhere on such a team-friendly deal.

Just got knocked from the playoffs, and while that sucks, it does afford an opportunity to grab some stashes.

We go 47 deep (IDP) with a taxi squad, so there will be no Funchess here, unfortunately.

The guys I picked up:

Seth DeValve
Chris Moore
Charone Peake

Corey Nelson-DEN LB
BJ Goodson-NYG LB
DJ Alexander-KC LB

I'm a fan of recent draftees at WR that are on the waiver wire.  Mid/late round WRs with WR1 physical dimensions, I like their unknown potential over a known quantity, like Hightower, whom I cut for Moore.  There's a bunch of 2016 draft picks on my waiver wire, and the final verdict isn't in on any of these guys.  

Guys like Chris Moore and Charone Peake (or Jalin Marshall/Devin Smith if you prefer) have older WRs in front of them, and in the Jets case, older WRs with serious cap numbers for a team with serious cap problems next year.  

RBs
Brandon Wilds -- We all saw what he could do in the preseason for Atlanta, until he got hurt and subsequently released with an injury settlement.  He spent most of the year on the Jets practice squad before being added to the active roster last week.  Now Forte's banged up, so we may see Wilds get some action down the stretch.  Given the Jets cap woes, Forte isn't going anywhere with his $6MM dead cap hit in 2017, but he'll be 33 and is already getting banged up.  Powell has a $4.3MM dead cap hit, so he's not going anywhere either.  Yeah that seems like a lot of competition, but these things change quickly in the NFL.  Plus Wilds could always be released at the end of the year.  Remember, Wilds is the guy Matt Waldman said was his next Spencer Ware -- a RB he believed had the skills to be a starter in the NFL when given the opportunity.

This didn't sound right to me, and I looked it up.  You're right, the Jets both get no cap savings at all by cutting Forte/Powell next year.  

That's embarrassing for the Jets front office.

DeAndre Smelter -- Is this still a thing?

Not still a thing.

Like some of these names and have them stashed myself... I'll add some others (in no particular oder).

Jaron Brown -- I think it's easy to forget that Brown's snaps were increasing and he was seeing more and more playing time prior to his injury.  He had practically relegated Floyd to the bench already.  Nelson is very small and has a specific role, Fitz has a specific role, and John Brown has health issues as well.  It's very plausible Jaron emerges in the offseason to a fairly prominent role in that passing game.

I think he was getting more snaps because of the injury situation more than anything. John Brown had the concussion, the sickle-cell condition. Now, honestly, I'm not convinced that John Brown will return to previous season's form. The sickle-cell thing just seems to be hurting him. Monitoring John's health situation would be the best way to determine Jaron's path to relevance. Nelson could be less specialized than we think - Diggs is a great example of a smaller WR being a productive #1 - but it is worth monitoring.

I think he was getting more snaps because of the injury situation more than anything. John Brown had the concussion, the sickle-cell condition. Now, honestly, I'm not convinced that John Brown will return to previous season's form. The sickle-cell thing just seems to be hurting him. Monitoring John's health situation would be the best way to determine Jaron's path to relevance. Nelson could be less specialized than we think - Diggs is a great example of a smaller WR being a productive #1 - but it is worth monitoring.
I understand the spirit of what you're saying, but Nelson is 5'10" 166 lbs per the Cardinals website.  Diggs is 6'0" and 191 per the Vikings website... he's definitely a bigger/stronger guy than Nelson.  And Diggs was a former 5 star recruit in college -- one of, if not THE, top WR recruits in the country.

I picked up Jaron Brown a few weeks ago. Once I saw the Cardinals signed him to an extension, I figured he was worth a stash since it seems like them like him and have a plan for him going forward. And that was even after he tore his ACL.

He was getting more snaps before the sickle cell thing surfaced with John Brown. He was the WR3 to Fitz and John Brown, stealing snaps from Floyd (outsnapping him in weeks 4 and 5). At that time JJ Nelson was only playing a couple snaps per game (special teams?). Nelson only came along after Jaron's injury - he outsnapped Floyd for one game and then went back to being mixed in with Brown as the WR3/4. Maybe he's changed the staff's opinion on him, but I expect Nelson to go back to a John Brown backup next year with Jaron stepping into the Floyd role as they were trying to do early in the season.

One thing that concerns me about Jaron and the overall AZ situation is Palmer. He looks done and the numbers reflect that. They talk about him coming back but they have a window of opportunity here in the NFC if they can fix it. If they don't upgrade Palmer then I don't have much confidence in any WR not named Fitz in that offense for really any starting value. He's going to get a lot of looks as a swan song record chasing year presents itself.

One thing that concerns me about Jaron and the overall AZ situation is Palmer. He looks done and the numbers reflect that. They talk about him coming back but they have a window of opportunity here in the NFC if they can fix it. If they don't upgrade Palmer then I don't have much confidence in any WR not named Fitz in that offense for really any starting value. He's going to get a lot of looks as a swan song record chasing year presents itself.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Arians is smart and he knows he has a good defense with a stud running back and an aging, but highly productive receiver. I think at worst the Cardinals will bring in a guy to compete with Palmer next year, I could also see them dumping Palmer (assuming they can with his contract) and making a run at some of the free agents this year. Even if they do keep Palmer you are talking about a stash in dynasty, most likely free to pick up or at worst it will cost you a 3rd rounder in a rookie draft.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Arians is smart and he knows he has a good defense with a stud running back and an aging, but highly productive receiver. I think at worst the Cardinals will bring in a guy to compete with Palmer next year, I could also see them dumping Palmer (assuming they can with his contract) and making a run at some of the free agents this year. Even if they do keep Palmer you are talking about a stash in dynasty, most likely free to pick up or at worst it will cost you a 3rd rounder in a rookie draft.
I used to think Arians was smart, but the fact he hasn't done the bolded and it's been a problem for years in a row now, either due to health or performance, makes me wonder.

I used to think Arians was smart, but the fact he hasn't done the bolded and it's been a problem for years in a row now, either due to health or performance, makes me wonder.
They went to the NFC title game last year and Palmer only got bad after he hurt his finger in whatever week it was late in the year. The guy had 35 touchdowns last year and only 13 turnovers, he threw for 4600 yards. This is really the 1st year that Palmer has been the problem.

They went to the NFC title game last year and Palmer only got bad after he hurt his finger in whatever week it was late in the year. The guy had 35 touchdowns last year and only 13 turnovers, he threw for 4600 yards. This is really the 1st year that Palmer has been the problem.
I'll just cut and paste this bit from Wikipedia:

However, after season-ending injuries to Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton, they were forced to start third-string quarterback Ryan Lindley in the wild-card round, losing to the 7-8-1 Carolina Panthers by a score of 27–16.
That was 2014.  Palmer either gets injured or chokes.  It's been going on for years now.  Yet the Cardinals still have no viable backup, unless you consider Stanton to be one, which I don't.

I'll just cut and paste this bit from Wikipedia:

That was 2014.  Palmer either gets injured or chokes.  It's been going on for years now.  Yet the Cardinals still have no viable backup, unless you consider Stanton to be one, which I don't.
Are you serious? They were on a 3rd string qb, teams usually suck when they go down that far. Most teams sucks if they go to the back up qb, there are barely 32 legit starters in the league.

Are you serious? They were on a 3rd string qb, teams usually suck when they go down that far. Most teams sucks if they go to the back up qb, there are barely 32 legit starters in the league.
I'm serious.  You have a team that's had it's championship window repeatedly shut by QB injuries and/or poor performance.  Their best QB is a notorious playoff choker.  The finger injury is a convenient excuse.  Palmer is a notorious choker in games that matter.

They continually have Stanton as their best backup.  I understand that elite NFL QBs don't grow on trees, but at some point doing the same thing and expecting a different result doesn't seem too bright to me.  Think outside the box, make the Bucs an offer for Glennon they can't refuse.  Have a capable backup in place, or go after a playoff winner QB.  The Cardinals receivers should be killing it instead of Palmer killing them.

Here's my stashes fwiw:

ETA - QB Glennon, but that has been because he is Winston's handcuff, not primarily as a stash

RB Jalen Richard

WR Eli Rogers

WR Rashard Higgins

WR Jordan Taylor

TE Trey Burton

LB Vince Williams

Likely kicking TE Jeff Heuerman to the curb unless there is a dramatic change next year

Higgins could get a huge bump if Pryor leaves the Browns. Nice call. 

That's a legitimate concern. I wouldn't rule out Arizona bringing someone in OR Palmer returning to form. He's still got a canon, but the problem is that Arians' offense relies on the offensive line holding up long enough to throw deep and I think they were on their 3rd string LT last week. This line has had a lot of problems this year. But either way, we're talking about dynasty stashes that we can pick up for free, not guys that have a >50% shot of being top 24 fantasy contributors in 2017.

So bottomline: Jaron Brown has a pretty good shot to be a starting WR in a Bruce Arians offense and can be had for free in some leagues. For me, that's... best described by Samuel L Jackson.

QB

AJ McCarron
Mike Glennon

RB
Keith Marshall 
Kevin Taylor

WR

Devin Smith
Jaelen Strong

TE
Darren Waller
Jerell Adams

Tex

QB

AJ McCarron
Mike Glennon

RB
Keith Marshall 
Kevin Taylor

WR

Devin Smith
Jaelen Strong

TE
Darren Waller
Jerell Adams

Tex

Help me out here. Strong is behind Fuller and Miller. Everyone - including the man himself - hopes that Hopkins can bond more with Osweiller in the offseason. Strong, unless he's on a different team, seems like the odd man out.

Help me out here. Strong is behind Fuller and Miller. Everyone - including the man himself - hopes that Hopkins can bond more with Osweiller in the offseason. Strong, unless he's on a different team, seems like the odd man out.
I have Strong rostered also. I'm not completely sold on Fuller, and there is always the possibility of moving to another team. He has flashed a little bit of the My Ball attitude and using his body to shield CBs that made him a tough matchup in college. 

Tyler Lockett has a better and better chance of being Seattle's #1WR every year. Baldwin is a great player and has a great relationship with Wilson but he's not the weapon Lockett it is. Good chance Jimmy Graham is gone and Lockett sees more targets than Baldwin next year. 

He's a great stash if on the WW. 

Users who are viewing this thread