What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 *Official* Cold Brew Coffee Thread (1 Viewer)

PIK95

Footballguy
We started making our own cold brew coffee at home this summer.  My wife bought a $30 pot and filter setup off of Amazon, and its really easy to use.  We had a coffee grinder already  (starbucks will grind for you) but they are also pretty cheap to buy.  

You buy a bag of beans, grind a batch, and pour in the filter cup.  Then you drop the filter cup into the glass pitcher and you add water.  I use spring water which adds a little cost but its better imo.  You let it sit in the fridge for 10-12 hours and its done.  It can be heated from there if you don't like ice coffee.

The main reason we started doing this was cost.  We now save over $400 a month on our previous DD habit.  The unforseen benefits are the taste and losing weight.  I'm not sure of the science but this coffee is pretty sweet coming out.  I never add suger or even much milk anymore.  It's amazing. 

For me personally, the number one best part about the cold brew is low acid.  I have always had problems with acidic coffee and now the problem is solved. Apparently when you heat coffee beans it extracts the acid.  Now some people like that but it was always helz for me.  I also use coffee from Eithiopia which is less acidic to begin with.  

Anyone else coldbrewing here?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's amazing. Been doing it about 6 months now and I'll never go back. Taste so much better, and as you said the acid reduction has been tremendous. 

Love it. 

I have managed to buy all the Starbucks Eithiopia bags in R.I.  We got forced to try the Whole Foods Eithiopia blend and its really good.  A bit cheaper also. Starbucks Kenya is solid, but a little acidic comparatively. 

We started making our own cold brew coffee at home this summer.  My wife bought a $30 pot and filter setup off of Amazon, and its really easy to use.  We had a coffee grinder already  (starbucks will grind for you) but they are also pretty cheap to buy.  

You buy a bag of beans, grind a batch, and pour in the filter cup.  Then you drop the filter cup into the glass pitcher and you add water.  I use spring water which adds a little cost but its better imo.  You let it sit in the fridge for 10-12 hours and its done.  It can be heated from there if you don't like ice coffee.

The main reason we started doing this was cost.  We now save over $400 a month on our previous DD habit.  The unforseen benefits are the taste and losing weight.  I'm not sure of the science but this coffee is pretty sweet coming out.  I never add suger or even much milk anymore.  It's amazing. 

For me personally, the number one best part about the cold brew is low acid.  I have always had problems with acidic coffee and now the problem is solved. Apparently when you heat coffee beans it extracts the acid.  Now some people like that but it was always helz for me.  I also use coffee from Eithiopia which is less acidic to begin with.  

Wat?  I sure hope @Dentist doesn't hear about this thread.  His head may well explode right off of his little shoulders. 

I used to work in a coffeeshop, I was a 'brewmaster'. So yeah, I know about it, I used to do it ev4ery day. It's awesome stuff. So awesome I could get high on it, or I felt like it, so it made me a little nuts. Getting past that I'm all for it but haven't done it for a while. Maybe I should start it again. Problem is it can get junkie like. I was hunting down self-roasted beans at a local place.... anyway, yes, it's terrific. Just keep chasing the flavor and the effect.

I like the consistency of it every day.  I probably wont be chasing anything.  Luckily "thats not my bag....baby."

I used to work in a coffeeshop, I was a 'brewmaster'. So yeah, I know about it, I used to do it ev4ery day. It's awesome stuff. So awesome I could get high on it, or I felt like it, so it made me a little nuts. Getting past that I'm all for it but haven't done it for a while. Maybe I should start it again. Problem is it can get junkie like. I was hunting down self-roasted beans at a local place.... anyway, yes, it's terrific. Just keep chasing the flavor and the effect.
Seriously though, which besidea ethiopia is low acidity in your opinion. I read South America's are usually acidic. I see conflicting reports.  Tia.

Can you link me to the setup your wife bought on Amazon?

There are compounds that promote stomach acid in coffee and one compound the inhibits stomach acid.  Generally, darker roasts have more of the compound that inhibits stomach acid.

In engrish please? ;-)
If you want a coffee that is easier on sensitive stomachs, you should select darker roasts.  They may be labeled "Dark Roast" or "French Roast" or "Italian Roast".  Or you can look at the bean itself to see that it looks more the color of chocolate than say, dark caramel. 

The $400 figure is including the new coffee and water we now buy fwiw.
Can you walk me through how you spent 400.00 a month at Dunkin Donuts?

You and your wife would each spend 200.00 divided by 30 days equals each of you spending 6.67 a day every day for 30 days?  Did you each drink 2 large ice coffees every day?

Can you walk me through how you spent 400.00 a month at Dunkin Donuts?

You and your wife would each spend 200.00 divided by 30 days equals each of you spending 6.67 a day every day for 30 days?  Did you each drink 2 large ice coffees every day?
Plus our kids and friends on the weekends.  I would get two large ice a day (I always tip too), she would get one.

After the weekend games the kids would want coolatas, bagels, and breakfast sammys.  The funny part is I didnt take into account the July and August beach drives (both ways and Starbucks quite often) which are about five days a week with kids.  $400 is probably VERY conservative now that I think about it.  

The point is we are saving mad coin and feeling better too.  I think a md ice cold brew regular at DD is like $3.00 now fwiw.

Wat?  I sure hope @Dentist doesn't hear about this thread.  His head may well explode right off of his little shoulders. 
I wish you hadn't tagged me.  I passed out after reading $400 a month on coffee.

I hope we don't spend $400 a year on coffee.

That's over 5000 a year..  I can't even imagine the financial impact once you figure in compounding...  you're going to spend months if not an extra year or two working just because of coffee

I wish you hadn't tagged me.  I passed out after reading $400 a month on coffee.

That's over 5000 a year..  I can't even imagine the financial impact once you figure in compounding...  you're going to spend months if not an extra year or two working just because of coffee
Better then booze imo.

lolz  I knew your head would explode.   :hifive:

Plus our kids and friends on the weekends.  I would get two large ice a day (I always tip too), she would get one.

After the weekend games the kids would want coolatas, bagels, and breakfast sammys.  The funny part is I didnt take into account the July and August beach drives (both ways and Starbucks quite often) which are about five days a week with kids.  $400 is probably VERY conservative now that I think about it.  

The point is we are saving mad coin and feeling better too.  I think a md ice cold brew regular at DD is like $3.00 now fwiw.
Got it.  I thought it was just coffee costs for you and your wife.  

In for this, switched to cold brew a while back and now I really only have hot coffee if I am out somewhere or need more at work. 

Any suggestions on good beans/roasts for cold brew or any drink recipes? 

My wife recently received a gift basket with Godiva chocolate coffee in it, I made cold brew and mixed it with berry seltzer water and I actually really liked it. Very different from typical hot coffee and cream.

Been at it for about a half year now - we love it!  Do a gallon at a time - 8 to 9oz. good ground coffee.

Got the coffee sock.

We use filtered water.  Just use a gallon sun tea jar we already had.  Very easy clean up.  

So great to reach in the fridge and make a giant glass with unsweetened almond milk (take my regular coffee black).  

:cough:

I gotta go buy a couple of pounds tomorrow.   I need some Eithiopia, but I want to buy some Dunkin outta repect for the Casey Affleck commercial.  So $.

I do it in the summer. Take a pound of coffee, mix it in a a gallon and a quarter of water and strain it through cheesecloth and an almond milk nut bag. A lot of work, but it's great. I bookmarked that coffee sock, seems like it'll make it much easier.

Been at it for about a half year now - we love it!  Do a gallon at a time - 8 to 9oz. good ground coffee.

Got the coffee sock.

We use filtered water.  Just use a gallon sun tea jar we already had.  Very easy clean up.  

So great to reach in the fridge and make a giant glass with unsweetened almond milk (take my regular coffee black).  
Just ordered one. Looks easier to clean than the toddy 

Need to buy the link up thread, I tried this with a mesh filter and pitcher a few weeks back and liked it. 

I hadn't read this article before but hadn't really thought about the potential differences in grind before.  I have always got a just above fine grind.  
Nice math equations to ruin my coffee experience ya damn hipster. 

Seriously though, with my Ethiopia I like to get close to that espresso grind, while I never have it at the french press level.  I also overfill my setup with water to get a little extra in my cup.  Experimentation is the best way to find what works for you.  Drip level is obviously the safest option in that article for most.

I would avoid over grinding the South American coffees as then tend to be more bitter and acidic in my unscientific trials.  I also always use poland spring water fwiw.

Got the coffee sock.

Does anyone one know if it's possible to buy a mason jar "in the north?"

And what exactly is a mason jar anyway?  Those glass jars from Moonshiners I assume? 

And what exactly is a mason jar anyway?  Those glass jars from Moonshiners I assume? 
Just go to a grocery store, buy pickles or some sauce that comes in a mason jar, wash it out good, wallah, you have a mason jar.

So I had a bag of Dunks dark roast someone had bought me.  I ground up half the bag, filled up a cold brew filter cup all the way with it, and dropped it in this big vase of tap water I prepared.  Im gonna let it sit for 16 hours because it's so big.

Why, you ask?

That's the cold brew my family will be getting on Christmas day.  My brother snuck into my fridge and wiped out the good stuff I had on Thanksgiving and paybacks a biach.

Mr.Pack said:
PIK95 said:

Just go to a grocery store, buy pickles or some sauce that comes in a mason jar, wash it out good, wallah, you have a mason jar.

I can't believe that any Walmart doesn't have mason jars in the kitchen section.  And yeah, they make great drink glasses.  

One of my favorites is the big jalapeno martini in a mason jar at K-Paul's.

PIK95 said:

My wife makes jam/jelly etc and buys them at bed bath beyond

Funny thing, I have been using that Dunkin Dark Roast I had been baggin on as my go to for a while now.  $5.99 a bag as opposed to the $12.99 bags I was getting from Ethiopia.  I'm saving crazy loot!

not for me brohans i like a nice hot cup of black coffee in the morning some classical tunes and listening to the birds sing while the sun comes up i call that natures rush hour take that to the bank coldchachos 

It's hot out. Time to try this "cold brew" thing.

Is there a reason no one is using a French Press for this?

Seems like the soaking of the grounds and filtration would be better, no?

And is as cheap as the "cold brew" pot thingies.

amazon French Press

Users who are viewing this thread