What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Henry Ford First Annual Trans-News Exchange (1 Viewer)

Henry Ford

Footballguy
I have an offer for the right wing, the extreme insane left wing, the conspiracy theorists, the Jill Stein weirdos, and the generally unwashed masses.

For one week, I will read only your favorite sources of news.  The catch?  For one week, you have to read mine.  And I think other people will pile on here.  I'll read your zero hedge/infowars/redstate sites, and you read the sources I consider credible and worthwhile.  Other pairs will link up, too.  And maybe we can start to understand each other again.  Because I actually don't dislike most of you - and I don't think you dislike me either.  But we won't have any common ground until we at least start dealing with the same information.  I'm not promising to believe, but I'm promising to try if you'll do the same.  I made this offer to Dodds, and he declined.  Someone else step up.  If this works, we can do this every year a week or so before Christmas - partner up and start finding common ground for our country.  

Left and right wingers encouraged to apply.  We will find everyone a partner or I will do multiple weeks.

Edit: the actual offer:

I'll do it with anyone in this thread who I actually believe will follow through. I'll write "book reports" detailing what I've read about every day and we'll exchange them after the week. Any takers from the conspiracy crowd? We can have a big discussion afterwards, and have a "trans-news" thread.  It'll be a blast.
Participants:

Left:

Henry Ford

Bobby Layne

Right:

???

Self-Identified "Other":

???

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll start with my list:

1. Reuters

2. The Financial Times

3. The New York Times

4. PBS

5. BBC

6. The Real News

(and if you really want to get lefty, my infotainment is)

7. Mother Jones

Really? 
I originally offered to read his sources for 30 days if he was shown right in pizzagate and that he would read only mine for 30 days if there was no indictment for a year after he accepted.  He declined.  I made the above offer.  He did not respond.  So I opened it up to everyone.

Come on, it's your chance to show me the truth.  And all you have to do is try to believe Reuters, the Financial Times, and the Real News.

I'll start with my list:

1. Reuters

2. The Financial Times

3. The New York Times

4. PBS

5. BBC

6. The Real News

(and if you really want to get lefty, my infotainment is)

7. Mother Jones
Have never heard of the The Real News.  Adding to my list

Coming from Henry Ford, shouldn't some paper with "Bayou" or "Cajun" in the name be on the list somewhere?

I have a better idea. How about we just stop being ###holes to each other... regardless of personal political beliefs, sexual orientation, religious affiliation? 

Your offer was to the extreme wingers, but I'd like to play along at home. I'm basically a progressive tree hugger who hates the government.

I get most of my news from:

1. FFA (breaking news pops up)

2. Detroit Free Press

3. M-Live / GR Press

4. NPR

5. NYT

6. Social Media

7. WSJ

So which way am I going for the next week?

Dr Oadi said:
I think Financial Times is generally, but FT Alphaville (market commentary) and Free Lunch are free and plenty to digest, and the full site is $1 for the first four weeks of premium content as a trial.

Also understand this is a commitment - no facebook news.  No hopping over to Mother Jones for me like I usually do when I otherwise want to stab most of humanity.  No cheating.  I hope others will take it seriously, too.

So join in.
I would, but it looks like you have much the same ideas on news as I do. I don't go to any opinion sites at all. I'd imagine you are looking for a more interesting trade, filled with bombastic hyperbole and stories about Tijuana-style donkey shows taking place after midnight in the local Dunkin Donuts.

I source my info and news mostly from Reuters, AFP and UPI. I'll also head to Business Insider and Forbes for some foreign policy articles, but I don't finish their articles that are more partisan or slanted. I have a bunch of other sources, but it's mostly only for science news (Scientific American, New Scientist, Natl Geo, Vox, etc). I'm being cautious with the AP and their "friendly" sources, but those do tend to stick out once you start reading. I have definitely tightened up my sources since the WikiLeaks pointed out where there may be issues, but I also don't really trust Wiki, considering their source.

I would, but it looks like you have much the same ideas on news as I do. I don't go to any opinion sites at all. I'd imagine you are looking for a more interesting trade, filled with bombastic hyperbole and stories about Tijuana-style donkey shows taking place after midnight in the local Dunkin Donuts.

I source my info and news mostly from Reuters, AFP and UPI. I'll also head to Business Insider and Forbes for some foreign policy articles, but I don't finish their articles that are more partisan or slanted. I have a bunch of other sources, but it's mostly only for science news (Scientific American, New Scientist, Natl Geo, Vox, etc). I'm being cautious with the AP and their "friendly" sources, but those do tend to stick out once you start reading. I have definitely tightened up my sources since the WikiLeaks pointed out where there may be issues, but I also don't really trust Wiki, considering their source.
Yeah, but join in on the left.  Hopefully people on the right will sign up and we can find someone to pair you with.

My List:

1.  The FFA
2.  Reddit

I let you guys filter out the noise and bring me the important world events I really need to know about.  Then, I take your comments to form a baseline rage level which I then adjust based on environmental factors including, but not limited to: 

1.  Time of day

2.  Have I masturbated yet?

3.  Am I sober?

4.  No, you take out the ####### trash

5.  Did I cry while masturbating?

6.  Did my favorite team win at that sport that they play?

7.  Did lunch give me the hershey squirts again?

and so on

Yeah, but join in on the left.  Hopefully people on the right will sign up and we can find someone to pair you with.
So let me get this straight.  I write and argue about what I wrote for a living and you want me to........ do more of that?  For free?

Are you drunk?

I'm a liberal and when I need to hide in my echo chamber, I go to Huffington Post and DemocraticUnderground.

Any good tips for NC?  My notebook remembers you went to Chapel Hill, not sure if that was the extent of your time in NC
I was there a long time ago and was too young to care about anything other than seeking out loose women.  The News and Observer out of Raleigh had/has a good reputation for a midsized paper, I think.

I was there a long time ago and was too young to care about anything other than seeking out loose women.  The News and Observer out of Raleigh had/has a good reputation for a midsized paper, I think.
Yeah, certainly better than Charlotte Observer.  Thanks.

So, would I be posting or PMing articles for my partner to read, or is it just an exchange of sources? Are we going to have any baseline rules as to reactions? I'd imagine the people who read moderate sources might have difficulty biting their tongue when they read something from Infowars, and vice versa. Also, what if we share the exact same tranny article? Do we then have to get gay married? I have questions. 

Never seen it, but I'll check it out.

It looks sufficiently insane be a sort of contemporary to Infowars, but slightly less so.  But that's a very cursory read.
Someone at a Trump rally was holding up a Trump-Pence sign with that URL written on it. I love how they have a real news section and an alt-news section and all of it is complete nutbaggery.

I hope Dodds will reconsider this no-politics policy.  The FFA is a special place in no small part due to the fact that we can have political discussion among people with different views.  I don't have any other opportunities for that sort of dialogue in my life.  This will be a real loss for me.

So, would I be posting or PMing articles for my partner to read, or is it just an exchange of sources? Are we going to have any baseline rules as to reactions? I'd imagine the people who read moderate sources might have difficulty biting their tongue when they read something from Infowars, and vice versa. Also, what if we share the exact same tranny article? Do we then have to get gay married? I have questions. 
You just give sources.  The person reads what he/she wants to - but only those sources for a week's worth of news.  Write up a summary of what you have read.  After the week, exchange summaries with your partner.  Simple. 

Treat it as the news.  Whatever it is. Like your high school teacher gave you those sources of information for a class.  If you have to pretend it's an alternate reality, fine, but those are "current events" for the week.

So just two of us on the left and no one else willing to do the challenge? 

I guess I'll keep checking back, but doesn't look good.

Users who are viewing this thread