What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Mixon's lawyers release video of RB punching female student in '14 (1 Viewer)

Just saw on ESPN on my TV.

:eek:

How in the holy heck did he get a one year suspension from the team and a misdemeanor? This is going to be Ray Rice v2.0.

Um, what?!  I've lost my temper before and nobody is perfect but that just isn't right.  I can't imagine a scenario where I'd react like that to a woman coming at me.  I don't care how much she is pushing or spitting on me.  Just walk away.  How about that?  Seems like a pretty good solution to me.  That was brutal.  

And if someone were to do that (Ray Rice), I'd expect them to be completely wasted and while that person wouldn't get a pass, I could almost sorta look at that as being slightly out of your mind (drunk while knocking chic out).  Him claiming he was sober when that happened makes him look worse, imo.  

Just saw on ESPN on my TV.

How in the holy heck did he get a one year suspension from the team and a misdemeanor? This is going to be Ray Rice v2.0.
One year seems about right.  Not that I condone it - I'd kick him out of OU - but CFB coaches aren't known for their integrity.

Then again, now there's video.  Ray Rice + video = lifetime ban (/blackball).  Greg Hardy - video = 4(?) Game suspension.

So I'm not sure where the 1 year came from.  Stoops hedging his bets?

One year seems about right.  Not that I condone it - I'd kick him out of OU - but CFB coaches aren't known for their integrity.
Especially Stoops.  Look up DeDe Westbrook's domestic violence history.  They took in DGB after he was kicked out of Mizzou of all places...not exactly known for their high standards.  There are other examples.  Stoops has very little integrity IMO.

Get off your high horses.  When he is putting up 150/2 on your fantasy team you guys will be all over his jock.  People make mistakes.  He was punished.  This is old news.

Get off your high horses.  When he is putting up 150/2 on your fantasy team you guys will be all over his jock.  People make mistakes.  He was punished.  This is old news.
I was wondering who would be the first one here to defend him.  I was sure it would be shtick but still.  This is even better, he was actually serious.

I'm not defending him.  Obviously he was in the wrong.  It's just hilarious because there could be 100 threads about "thugs" like Mixon and you guys will still start him every week when he's a top RB and on your roster.  By all means, avoid him in your fantasy drafts because of your "morals" and he's such a bad person.  

I'm not defending him.  Obviously he was in the wrong.  It's just hilarious because there could be 100 threads about "thugs" like Mixon and you guys will still start him every week when he's a top RB and on your roster.  By all means, avoid him in your fantasy drafts because of your "morals" and he's such a bad person.  

Dude, she was staggered and bloody after he cocked back and punched her in the face. I said Rice v2.0 because the fallout is exponentially worse when a video is released, and that was sickening to watch. I could absolutely see this going down the Rice path, but who knows. I get your angle, he's cheap labor under a rookie deal for 4 years and he has talent and that's how the NFL and the salary cap works, but time will tell how this incident is treated by the pro evaluators now that the video is out in the wild.

My point isn't whether Rice could still play, but rather that he got another opportunity to play. 
But the opportunity he got or didn't get was affected by the likelihood he'd contribute enough to offset the negative.  Rice didn't look like that likelihood was there.  He was coming off a terrible year in which he looked slow and average at best.  He was never a freak athlete type guy, so regardless of age (he was actually only 27 at the time) he was already looking replaceable.  Had that been 2014 Jamaal Charles I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the last football he played.

My point isn't whether Rice could still play, but rather that he got another opportunity to play. 
Rice is a FA. He could have signed at any time. If he was younger and better, he may have. It's not like he's indefinitely suspended. He had the opportunity to play, and teams decided it wasn't worth the headache for the production they'd get.

Last edited by a moderator:
  By all means, avoid him in your fantasy drafts because of your "morals" and he's such a bad person.  
I will, and he is.  As will many NFL teams.

And when he throws his pregnant girlriend down the stairs in two years before the fantasy playoffs, I can smugly laugh.

1) Not a mistake. A mistake is leaving my wallet at home, not cold cocking a woman half my weight.

2) Not a punishment. Redshirting a year isnt an appropriate reprimand for COLD COCKING A WOMAN. He should have gone to jail, or at least been tried accordingly.

3) Imagine you own your own business. You have a candidate that that came in, nailed his interviews, appears to be fully qualified, but when you open your news site of choice, you see video of him (an adult man, mind you) knocking a woman unconscious, and his only reprimand was getting set back a year in his major of choice. Do you hire this man? At best he poses as a massive distraction, at worst he's a toxic human being who will actively be a rotting poison for your business. Is that worth risking? Imagine you committed a similar crime. Do you genuinely believe you would be hired anywhere, much less at your dream job? Why should he be afforded special treatment?

The fact that the biggest (only?) Mixon defender in this thread is an OU fan is a really bad look.
Look man I get it.

You should never hit a girl. What he did is REAL bad.  I believe he was 18 years old when this happened.  He is 20 years old right now.  Just throwing it out there.  Should he get a free pass?  Absolutely not.

So how long was Rice's suspension in the NFL when he hit his wife?  Joe was suspended 1 year.  Similar suspension I believe?  If this happened to Rice while he was in his prime, does BAL cut him?

I think maybe his draft stock goes down a little, but somebody is going to give him a chance.  Or maybe it goes down a lot.  He will pay for this mistake for the rest of his life.  He has first round talent, so maybe he drops to the 2nd.  This event is going to cost him millions of dollars, no doubt.

He was the top RB recruit in his class.  The kid is a stud on the field.  He is going to make a difference on an NFL team, and will absolutely be fantasy relevant.

Maybe OU should have cut him, but understand he didn't play a single down in an OU uniform when this happened.  A 1 year suspension is nothing to sneeze at, not to mention the long term impact it will have on his pocket book as mentioned above.

If OU cuts him, he goes to some lesser school.  Maybe he isn't in a split with another NFL ready RB like Samaje Perine.  Maybe he gets all the RB work in a lesser conference and lights it up.  He is capable of putting up LT college stats, no doubt in my mind.  Maybe his draft stock even goes up in that scenario.

There are plenty of other cases about people in the NFL getting chances after making huge mistakes like this.  We can make a laundry list of players who continued on in the NFL and were given another chance.  I'm sure we can throw around all kinds of discussion in this thread regarding those players.  People like Jim Brown, Michael Vick, Ray Lewis, Donte Stallworth, PacMan Jones, etc.

When you are in the heat of an event like that, sometimes people do unfathomable things.  I know this is a losing battle for me in this thread, but this is a fantasy forum.  My point still stands.  He is going to have fantasy relevance, and people in this thread are going to draft him, start him, and reap the benefits.

Big on second chances and Mixon deserves one, just should never have been at OU. Despicable really that a state run public university would allow a scholarship athlete to cold #### a co-ed and remain not only on scholarship but one of most visible players on the team. 

Will be interesting what the optics to his draft stock. NFL teams  are probably no more turned off then they were before the video came out, since they already knew what he did, but major difference between someone like Tyrek Hill and him is a video exists and normal public is funny this way like we saw with Ray Rice. Even if we know what they did, does not seem nearly as despicable until we see it.  So an NFL team can draft Hill and it will go under the radar for the most part but any team that picks Mixon is going to have to deal with a storm of negative press/protests and the such. I would not surprised if he went undrafted and I would be surprised if he has not already been permanently removed from most teams draft board, but of course it only takes one.

But through draft or  FA he'll get in the NFL and he is a great prospect and OU#1 is right on at least one thing,  people are not going to be passing on him in fantasy drafts over morals.  I'll pick him if he's value, being dishonest with myself does me no good. I think Kaepernick is a punk, I don't like him, not as despicable an act of course(and per some people a positive one) but I don't personally like him much at all but I've had no issues this season picking him up on my fantasy teams this season. Got Tryekk Hill on a few teams as well.  I mean it's fantasy football, locker room distractions and social media fueled mob mentality for justice don't impact my fantasy team.

Have players in the past received second chances after doing dispicable things??  Sure.

The past is the past though.  Maybe, just maybe, the sports world has made some progress since then, and d-bags like this jagoff shouldn't get that second chance.  

He can go work his 40 hour a week crappy job like the rest of the idiots out there like him.

He was saying she spit in his face before slapping him. Didnt appear that way in the video. If it can be corroborated that happened, would anyones viewpoint change? Just curious. 

Both he and her are piles of crap. unfortunately both piles of crap will be rich someday. oh don't we love how our country works
Why is she a pile of crap?  I see a drunk girl who got out of control.  We don't know what Mixon said to set her off.  In any event as culpable as she was she didn't deserve to have her face shattered.

If he gets a chance with an NFL team, then Ray Rice should have had a chance.
Don't kid yourself, if Rice had been 25 and coming off a 1500 yard season there would have been a list of teams as long as your arm waiting to sign him when his suspension was up. He'll get a chance because the only time the NFL black balls a player over something like this is when the guy can't produce anymore.

Why is she a pile of crap?  I see a drunk girl who got out of control.  We don't know what Mixon said to set her off.  In any event as culpable as she was she didn't deserve to have her face shattered.
if you think she's 100% innocent in all of this you're nuts. not saying she deserved it. never. I'm just saying it takes two to tango. 

if you think she's 100% innocent in all of this you're nuts. not saying she deserved it. never. I'm just saying it takes two to tango. 
Her level of innocence doesn't chance anything about what Mixon did. 

If she was going after him swinging wildly, maybe even with some sort of "weapon" then he might have actually been justified. 

That...........was not the case. 

Her level of innocence doesn't chance anything about what Mixon did. 

If she was going after him swinging wildly, maybe even with some sort of "weapon" then he might have actually been justified. 

That...........was not the case. 
I never said it did. I said they were both losers. 

Supposedly, there were racial slurs from Molitor directed towards Mixon & his fellow players. To be fair, rumor has it the players hurled gay slurs at her friend. No doubt both regret their actions that day.

Full disclosure, I'm an OU fan, but I'd like to think I can look at this impartially...

He was in no physical danger unless he turned his back & she hit him over the head with something. The right thing to do was to keep her at bay, back out of the restaurant, & go on his way. The other players were smart enough to have left after the initial altercation, which took place outside. Mixon stayed, but you can see Molitor motioning for him to come to her table. Not sure what was said after Mixon came to the table, but she was the aggressor.

Not condoning what Mixon did. There's no excuse. If it was my son, I'd be pissed. He didn't have to use that much force (or much force at all), but when you push somebody & get in their face, things like this can happen on pure emotion. She definitely has some culpability. I doubt this would've happened if Molitor had been sober. She actually seems like a nice kid & stayed at OU despite being advised to transfer. I respect that.

This is much different than the Ray Rice incident. I don't believe Mixon will be blackballed from the NFL (nor should he be, IMO). How much it hurts his draft stock remains to be seen. It depends on the team. Some could have him off their board & some may not dock him anything given his age at the time & the circumstances involved.

Local rumor is there were racial slurs from Molitor directed towards Mixon & his fellow players. To be fair, rumor has it the players hurled gay slurs at her friend. No doubt both regret their actions that day.

Full disclosure, I'm an OU fan, but I'd like to think I can look at this impartially...

He was in no physical danger unless he turned his back & she hit him over the head with something. The right thing to do was to keep her at bay, back out of the restaurant, & go on his way. The other players were smart enough to have left after the initial altercation, which took place outside. Mixon stayed, but you can see Molitor motioning for him to come to her table. Not sure what was said after Mixon came to the table, but she was the aggressor.

Not condoning what Mixon did. There's no excuse. If it was my son, I'd be pissed. He didn't have to use that much force (or much force at all), but when you push somebody & get in their face, things like this can happen on pure emotion. She definitely has some culpability. I doubt this would've happened if Molitor had been sober. She actually seems like a nice kid & stayed at OU despite being advised to transfer. I respect that.

This is much different than the Ray Rice incident. I don't believe Mixon will be blackballed from the NFL (nor should he be, IMO). How much it hurts his draft stock remains to be seen. It depends on the team. Some could have him off their board & some may not dock him anything given his age at the time & the circumstances involved.
I just believe the NFL, and it's players, need to start being held to a higher standard.

If you did this, do you genuinely believe you would a) keep your job, and b) get an aggressive promotion within a few years of the incident?

He'll be drafted (maybe) and play (probably), but I just continue to hope for something better out of the NFL.

This is a grown man viciously knocking out, then fleeing from, a woman. If this were me, as a non-special, boring CPA, I'd be in jail. His status as an elite athlete will undoubtedly allow him relief from that, but I still would hope for some level of response that won't likely happen.

Sad story for everyone involved though.

Agree with petekrum.  He won't be blackballed.

He has already been doing the right thing, the apology tour, etc.  That will make it easier.

He won't be a 1st rounder maybe, and the reporters will come round, asking him, he'll give the right, boring answer, and they will move on. 

And maybe he deserves a chance, I dunno. I hope my team doesn't take him, but I don't hope he can never play football. I mean, whacking a girl is terrible, is the punishment taking away his career? Eh......

Anyways, yeah, once the first round is over, teams will have no problem taking a few days of bad press.  It blows over. Did ANYONE in Philly protest when DGB was signed? Threw a girl down a flight of stairs. Not a peep.

I would've loved to hear audio, if someone woman spat on me, shoved me and hurled racial slurs at me... yeah I might have to deck a #####.

Again, what he did wasn't really right but if what he said happened ... I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread