discountdoublecheck

LB to DE candidates

18 posts in this topic

Brandon Graham made the switch last off season. I'm going by ESPNs positions and looking to find the next guy that could get a huge boost in value.

If anyone has other LB that could get switched to DE feel free to throw them into this thread. Targeting potential defensive coordinator/scheme changes.

J. Hughes BUF

S. Lawson BUF

E. Ogbah CLE

Good topic.  What makes you think CLE will change schemes?  A couple of guys would interest me if they go 4-3

1 person likes this

I think Chandler Jones is a free agent at seasons end. 

Who knows what will happen with Aldon Smith. In more ways than one. 

8 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

Good topic.  What makes you think CLE will change schemes?  A couple of guys would interest me if they go 4-3

Because CLE has been so bad on defense. They are winless and somebody has to take the fall. 

9 hours ago, discountdoublecheck said:

Because CLE has been so bad on defense. They are winless and somebody has to take the fall. 

Doesn't sound like that's going to happen.  

21 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

That's kind of my question - they knew this was going to be a train wreck, and they are on year one of a rebuild.  Are they really surprised or disappointed enough to actually fire someone already?  I can't imagine anyone's getting promoted from the staff either, so why would anything change?

If it's just a guess by OP because "they are bad" I'm not interested in throwing pasta against the wall to see if anything sticks, but I'm all about peeking under the hood and determining what's got a good basis for speculation and getting in front of it.  That's how juggernauts are born, when you get a couple of those right for min bids.  I had multiple chances to trade for Mack cheap-ish last year when he was listed at LB.  Had I had any reason to believe the change would happen I would have jumped on it, but I couldn't afford to get stuck with an LB with his massive contract in those leagues.  Wish I had, and I'm looking for the next opportunity like that.

Obviously the coaching hire/fire cycle will drive much of this, but by they the masses will be tuned in.  To continue the conversation:

Jadaveon Clowney - he lined up at DE more once Watt went out and was a lot more effective when he did.  I don't know much about their philosophy, but hopefully they get another real OLB in there (like the next Watt up!) and move Clowney full time to DE.  Even better if they ever went 4-3 but that would take a pretty radical change I think.

I like the Chandler Jones call-out, he's a UFA after this year and if he goes elsewhere that runs a true 4-3 he'll easily be re-designated to DE.  Heck he's probably playable in big-play leagues even as a LB.

Melvin Ingram - another UFA, and another guy that seems like he plays much more like a DE than a true LB.  Can anyone weigh in on SDC cap space and/or spending history with their FA's?

Nick Perry - UFA in GB.  I always thought they mis-used him, he's not a space guy.  Let him pin his ears back and go.  8 sacks in 65% snap counts and with occasional coverage duties.  He's $5M this year and you gotta figure wants more - can/will GB pony up?  He's gotta be licking his chops at the idea of going to a 4-3 like CAR that is desperate for an edge pass rusher.

Vic Beasley - Seems like the same case for Mack from last year.  He was actually listed at DE as a rookie but changed, and I could never figure that out.  Quinn's a SEA origin and from that 4-3 system.  How often does Beasley play with his hand down?  He's got 14 sacks so he can get home fast.  He'd be DE7 in my 16 man league.

4 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

That's kind of my question - they knew this was going to be a train wreck, and they are on year one of a rebuild.  Are they really surprised or disappointed enough to actually fire someone already?  I can't imagine anyone's getting promoted from the staff either, so why would anything change?

If it's just a guess by OP because "they are bad" I'm not interested in throwing pasta against the wall to see if anything sticks, but I'm all about peeking under the hood and determining what's got a good basis for speculation and getting in front of it.  That's how juggernauts are born, when you get a couple of those right for min bids.  I had multiple chances to trade for Mack cheap-ish last year when he was listed at LB.  Had I had any reason to believe the change would happen I would have jumped on it, but I couldn't afford to get stuck with an LB with his massive contract in those leagues.  Wish I had, and I'm looking for the next opportunity like that.

No one expected to go 0-16 and not be competitive in the 2nd half of the season, but everyone knew this roster was bad, and likely the worst in the NFL.  The QB injuries early in the season were all that was needed to send the season off the rails.  If anyone loses their job it's because Hue has identified them as not part of the solution, there isn't any pressure from above to make any changes.  Horton's treated this season as a giant preseason, mixing and matching personnel groups week-to-week to see what sticks.  I can't imagine he'd be doing that without his coach's blessing. His approach has me thinking he's trying to figure out who will be part of the 2017 defense, who will be part of position competitions, and who needs replaced.

I added Clowney for the same reason you laid out (2017's Mack), but since there probably won't be any coaching (and certainly won't be a team) change I'm not optimistic about that one.  I'll be fairly irritated if Beasley gets reclassed again.  Axed him preseason and he's currently owned.  Always thought his reclass was kinda grey.

On 12/18/2016 at 5:49 PM, discountdoublecheck said:

Brandon Graham made the switch last off season. I'm going by ESPNs positions and looking to find the next guy that could get a huge boost in value.

If anyone has other LB that could get switched to DE feel free to throw them into this thread. Targeting potential defensive coordinator/scheme changes.

J. Hughes BUF

S. Lawson BUF

E. Ogbah CLE

I'm holding Hughes in my "big play" league hoping that he gets flipped back to DE.  Would see a big jump in value.

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

No one expected to go 0-16 and not be competitive in the 2nd half of the season, but everyone knew this roster was bad, and likely the worst in the NFL.  The QB injuries early in the season were all that was needed to send the season off the rails.  If anyone loses their job it's because Hue has identified them as not part of the solution, there isn't any pressure from above to make any changes.  Horton's treated this season as a giant preseason, mixing and matching personnel groups week-to-week to see what sticks.  I can't imagine he'd be doing that without his coach's blessing. His approach has me thinking he's trying to figure out who will be part of the 2017 defense, who will be part of position competitions, and who needs replaced.

Yeah that's kind of my point, just guessing that coaches could be replaced isn't going to provide much value.  I need a lot more than that to start making moves on.

X2 on Beasley, he played almost zero SLB, the main 3 were the two rooks and wheeler with some Worrilow sprinkled in. Beasley spent almost all his time at DE across from Clayborn

Kerrigan in Washington. I want to say he was DE before but switched back.

On 12/21/2016 at 4:03 PM, umjaker said:

Clowney I have been waiting all season for the MFL update, but never happened

MFL doesn't update during the season.

In deep leagues, here are some free agent OLB's that would be DE if they sign with a 4-3 team. I'm only mentioning guys that aren't already mentioned. These are all UFA's -

Alex Okafor

Armonty Bryant

Datone Jones

Sam Acho

On 12/20/2016 at 9:14 AM, MAC_32 said:

Horton (3-4) out 

Gregg Williams (4-3) in

E. Ogbah becomes much more interesting now. 

Williams doesn't run a 4-3. He runs what best fits his personnel. I.e. he ran primarily nickel in LA this year. 

This definitely increases Ogbah's chances, but we still have a dozen draft picks and $100m in cap space to go. 

I missed on Horton though. Didn't think Hue could/would move on from anyone. Doing so would put a lot more pressure on himself next year. Welp...

McDermott will be switching the Bills to a 4-3. This is great news for Shaq Lawson and J. Hughes. All of these guys could potentially be available due to their LB classification. I'm going for the upside of Lawson. He reminds me of Everson Griffin, and with the favorable stat crew in BUF he could be a sneaky pick up.