What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chances Zeke gets some rest week 16? (1 Viewer)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
Dallas looks to have wrapped this up with 2 games left. Zeke has never played this many games and Dallas needs him for a presumed long playoff run. 

Are you worried at all about zeke getting some relief in their week 16 matchup?

Dallas hasnt even clinched the division yet. Giants are 2 games back with 2 games to go and beat Dallas both games. HOWEVER, the Giants play on Thursday night @ Philly so if they lose then the Cowboys clinched everything. If the Giants win, Dallas will have to play everyone on Monday Night.

Last edited by a moderator:
in the event that dallas has the lead/is controlling the game- I could see a scenario where he gets a few less touches. Dallas is trying to get DMC up to speed. He did get a carry inside the 5 vs TB. 

Why does a 21 year old need rest?
Perhaps you are unaware that it takes one play to blow out a knee and can happen to anyone at any age.

Why does a 21 year old need rest?
Perhaps you are unaware that it takes one play to blow out a knee and can happen to anyone at any age.
I'm probably more aware of this than you are.

I assume you would agree that nfl coaches, for the most part, know what theyare talking about. many nfl coaches refer to the "rookie wall." so I assume it's real and it's not something promised in a campaign for a political office. granted we are way past the rookie wall point and zeke looks amazing as he did day 1, if not better

Dallas has a fairly realistic path to the superbowl. I am just asking if people think they would try to keep their best offensive weapon fresh heading into a couple meaningless games for them. 

yes, injury can happen at any time, but I can forward you research study after research study thay discusses the chances of injury and how it goes up with fatigue and during an athletic season. I can say with absolute confidence that zeke is more likely to suffer a catastrophic knee injury today than he was back in August. many people don't realize that... they think the chances are equal every week. that is just plain wrong. biomechanics break down and connective tissue gets strained in different ways that allow for higher injury chances. it's the exact reason why rookie MLB pitchers often times have inning limits on their season, but the seasoned vets can pitch all the way through October without an issue. 

Zeke has never played this much football at this level in his entire young adult life. and he's being used about as much as LaDainian Tomlinson in his prime. that's significant. clearly Dallas also believes this as there have been DMC sightings

now, to respond to others here... I didn't know Dallas didn't have the division clinched. so yes I don't expect him to sit on the bench. I'm talking losing few more carries than he normally would

disclosure, I do not own Zeke

Not really, Zeke usually takes off every third series when cowcoys are in the lead. That is why you saw DMC for one series. Zeke will get a full work load this week.

Not really, Zeke usually takes off every third series when cowcoys are in the lead. That is why you saw DMC for one series. Zeke will get a full work load this week.
yeah that makes sense. they did that with Murray I remember back when I owned him. seems like par for the course. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some rest but I'm also sure the coaching staff, and zeke, would like to set the rookie record for Dallas rushers too, which means a heavy work load 2 weeks in a row.

personally, I think that could be a mistake but my opinion plus a dollar can get you a coffee at mcdonalds

3 Rs - Rookie Rushing Record. They are going to feed him even more than usual the next 2 weeks so he gets the record from Dickerson. He needs something like 130 yards each game to break it.

3 Rs - Rookie Rushing Record. They are going to feed him even more than usual the next 2 weeks so he gets the record from Dickerson. He needs something like 130 yards each game to break it.
I counter with an S and a B.  Super Bowl.

I agree the Cowboys would love for Zeke to get the rookie rushing record, but I'd argue that they would rather get a Super Bowl.

I don't think Zeke is going to rest this MNF (unless the Giants lose on TNF, and even then, I'd expect him to play at least 3 quarters), but if they win/Giants lose this week, I can't see the Cowboys given him 40 carries in week 17 just to get him his "3 Rs."  Dickerson never won a SB; I'd bet he'd trade his "# Rs" for a SB ring.

I counter with an S and a B.  Super Bowl.

I agree the Cowboys would love for Zeke to get the rookie rushing record, but I'd argue that they would rather get a Super Bowl.

I don't think Zeke is going to rest this MNF (unless the Giants lose on TNF, and even then, I'd expect him to play at least 3 quarters), but if they win/Giants lose this week, I can't see the Cowboys given him 40 carries in week 17 just to get him his "3 Rs."  Dickerson never won a SB; I'd bet he'd trade his "# Rs" for a SB ring.
We're talking about Jerry Jones. He wants both. Don't be silly.

If the Giants lose on Thursday night, then I believe the Cowboys will have locked up home field advantage throughout the playoffs. If that happens, I may pull Zeke from my starting lineup. I hate doing it, having ridden him all the way to the Championship game. I just envision Dallas giving him some carries, but giving a greater share to McFadden. 

If the Giants lose on Thursday night, then I believe the Cowboys will have locked up home field advantage throughout the playoffs. If that happens, I may pull Zeke from my starting lineup. I hate doing it, having ridden him all the way to the Championship game. I just envision Dallas giving him some carries, but giving a greater share to McFadden. 
If the Giants lose on TNF, the Cowboys have locked up the division and HFA through the playoffs.  They still won't give more carries to McFadden (relative to Zeke's carries) in WEEK 16 (barring injury, or course). 

Maybe he only gets 18 carries instead of 22, and leaves with 8 minutes left in the 4th (big maybe, and only if the Giants lose).  Is there a RB on your bench who is more valuable than 82% of the #2 FF RB on the year?

If the Giants lose on TNF, the Cowboys have locked up the division and HFA through the playoffs.  They still won't give more carries to McFadden (relative to Zeke's carries) in WEEK 16 (barring injury, or course). 
Link? 

While I believe this may have some truth, I just reject the idea that they are going to completely run their rookie into the ground for no reason. The people that rule this out as a complete impossibility are the people who own Zeke it seems. There is a chance. Albeit a small chance, but I think it's worth discussing. I think what's most likely is that the Cowboys play him for 3 quarters, if the game is in hand especially. I think owners need to keep that in mind. 
Now if I owned Zeke I wouldn't bench him, even if the Giants lose. 3 quarters of zeke likely is much greater than 4 quarters of whatever you have on your bench

Link? 

While I believe this may have some truth, I just reject the idea that they are going to completely run their rookie into the ground for no reason. The people that rule this out as a complete impossibility are the people who own Zeke it seems. There is a chance. Albeit a small chance, but I think it's worth discussing. I think what's most likely is that the Cowboys play him for 3 quarters, if the game is in hand especially. I think owners need to keep that in mind. 
Now if I owned Zeke I wouldn't bench him, even if the Giants lose. 3 quarters of zeke likely is much greater than 4 quarters of whatever you have on your bench
Link?

Link? 

No link; it's my take (although JJ has said they won't rest players once they clinch).  It's not that different from yours, either.  You're suggesting the Cowboys will rest them after 3 quarters (15 mins left); I'm saying with 8 mins left.  You're saying Zeke owners will get 75% of normal Zeke production; I'm saying 82%.

wrong. I said I think. Bayhawks said they won't, as in he knows for a fact. I was curious if he had a link. but feel free to waste more time debating this
Don't take it personal, or even bother to explain. Reading comprehension is not Weebs210's strength. It's like trying to explain algebra to a plant.

wrong. I said I think. Bayhawks said they won't, as in he knows for a fact. I was curious if he had a link. but feel free to waste more time debating this
Sorry I wasn't clearer; I clarified that it was was my opinion.  

Although JJ said they won't rest players, I don't think anyone really "knows" what will happen, which is the reason someone started this thread.  Still, I should have been more specific with my words, so as not to imply I was stating a fact.

Sucks.  Now have real concern they limit Zeke. Kind of pointless to give him 20+ touches when they have #1 seed locked up.

Yup.  I don't think they will sit him but if they're up at half time may limit his usage and sprinkle in Morris. 

They lose him, they have no shot at the championship. Playing him would be careless. You dont go for records when the Lombardi is on the line.

I read a quote from Jerry saying week 17 everyone would play but may only play a little bit. Don't know when he said that but now that they've clinched everything you have to wonder if now guys get pulled early this week. Dez, Witten, Zeke, even Dak could take a seat at some point. Monday night game too. Potential debacle.

I've already contacted my opponent to congratulate him on winning a championship. I can't get this done without my best player in a key prime time matchup.

That being said: who will be the go-to backup to benefit from Zeke's lightened workload: Morris or DMC? I don't have the roster space to pick them both up.

I've already contacted my opponent to thank him on winning a championship. I can't get this done without my best player in a key prime time matchup.

That being said: who will be the go-to backup to benefit from Zeke's lightened workload: Morris or DMC? I don't have the roster space to pick them both up.
Do you mean congardulate him? Why would you thank him.

They won't rest him in week 16, but ANY injury risk (twisted ankle, shoulder knocked, whatever) probably sends him to the bench. No reason to take any necessary risks, and they'll want to "prep" the backups. 

I think that goes for all their skill players. Get dinged up, sit it out. Otherwise they'll get most of the work, which isn't the "all systems go" philosophy during the regular season, but isn't the vacation that week 17 will be, either. 

pulled him out of lineup.   Just can't see him getting over 15 total touches.  DAL would be crazy to work him a lot.  Give him 10-15 touches to keep him fresh, but no more.

pulled him out of lineup.   Just can't see him getting over 15 total touches.  DAL would be crazy to work him a lot.  Give him 10-15 touches to keep him fresh, but no more.

15 touches of Zeke is better than anything else I have. 

Zeke is roughly 250 yards away from Eric Dickerson's rookie rushing record with 2 games left.  I imagine he, and the entire offensive line, would love to break that record.  Not suggesting they would risk using him in Week 17, but if he racks up yards early in the game this weekend... it'll make for some interesting decisions for the Dallas coaching staff.

I think they let Zeke run hard for 3 quarters.....and see how he's going in order to get near the record.

If the game is in hand by 3rd quarter, they could rest him in the 4th....But if he is able to get 100 yards and a TD within those 3 quarters, I will be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread