What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Football Sucks (1 Viewer)

packer_junkie

Footballguy
My own personal ##### thread-- feel free to call me a ###### or add in your own misery--

Ive been playing Fantasy football for probably 10 years and this was EASILY the best team Ive ever assembled. I drafted my ### off and uses the wire/trades to build what seemed like a dream team. Well my dream team-- in a .5 ppr league w/ two flexes-- scored a whopping 103 yesterday. I didnt have a single player score a touchdown... Not one. I won the league the last two years but those teams didnt hold a candle to this one. Yesterday was maybe the most painful day of FF I can recall-- and I admit-- I take this 'fun' hobby way to seriously...

My team:

Brady Leveon ware Evans Dez Ertz TY Hopkins Housotn D Bryant

Lost to a JV squad that started 5 guys I dropped this year (T West, S Smith Sr, Gotskowski, Marquis Lee, Garcon).....

If I never played again-- I really don't think I would mind..... 

been a brutal year.  every year the 12-1 team seems to get bumped by a team of week 13 pickups.  hopefully your league pays out for high scores or division winners during reg season.

highest scoring team in our playoffs played Bilal Powell and Ty Montgomery at RB and are advancing to playoffs.

If you just accept that this is how fantasy football works before you start the season then it won't be so bad.  It works both ways.  Some years you have the best team and lose in the first round of the playoffs and some years you make it to the championship as the wild card team.  I've done both before.

In one of my money leagues this year I was the third seed and a top scoring team.  I lost in the first round along with the first, second and fourth seeded teams.  It was just one of those years where the studs that got teams the top seeds sucked once the playoffs started.

It's all luck brother.

Just lost in a similar fashion.

Kinda pissed, but can't get too mad about it.  

Seriously. All luck 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just accept that this is how fantasy football works before you start the season then it won't be so bad.
Agreed.

There are total points leagues, rotisserie leagues, etc, etc.

If you choose to participate in a league where the winner is ultimately chosen in one week..... you get what you signed up for. I kind of hate the randomness of guessing who will perform in a single week. Really don't understand the draw of daily play at all anymore. 

Getting to the playoffs is skill. Winning in the playoffs is luck. Buddy of mine lost Forte in the first series last week and lost his game by 4 points. If he had played me this week in the Super Bowl, he beats me and is league champion. I have the highest scoring team in the league. 13-2 record now and on a 7 game win streak. All luck.

There are total points leagues,
This is my league and I enjoy it a lot more than the traditional playoff system where one bad week can torpedo a behemoth team.

There are certainly drawbacks to total points, such as teams that fall out early tend to lose interest early. But I'd rather reward teams that are the best for a full season rather than one random, haphazard week (or couple of weeks).

It's all luck brother.

Just lost in a similar fashion.

Kinda pissed, but can't get too mad about it.  

Seriously. All luck 
The more you come to terms with this and accept it the happier you'll be playing the game and still having fun.

My best league is total points through Week 17. Last week one of the teams I'm competing with at the top of standings had an absolutely awful week from his entire team except for one player ... Le'Veon Bell. The rest of his team was an absolute disaster but Bell saved him. What are you gonna do? No way anyone saw a game like that coming. Nobody in the galaxy predicted it. Bell's obviously great but it was still was completely and totally out of this world.

Yeah it sucks when you're on the receiving end of it or you're not getting that kind of luck but maybe it'll even out someday. Who knows. I picked up JJ Nelson this week because I loved his upside and so much of the reasons why I loved him came true. I thought, for example, he could score on a long TD which in my league is worth bonus points. So what does he do? He drops a wide-open 56-yard TD. Pure dumb luck. Yeah it sucks but what can you do? Nothing I did wrong. I picked a guy who was in the right spot to deliver and give me the points I needed. He just dropped an easy touchdown. You can say pick a guy who won't drop a 56-yard TD I guess but at least I had the foresight to identify the right guy who would be in that situation. It just didn't work out. Oh well.

But for me, it sucks and maybe I get a little upset during the day when it happens but then I move on. Like I said so much of this game is due to luck and factors beyond our control. You just draft the best team you can, make the best pickups you can and set the lineups and after that you can't control anything. So if you can just accept that and be OK with it and understand that the luck factor is gonna be there and not let it eat you up all the time you can still have a lot of fun playing this game because it is a great game to play in my opinion, even when the JJ Nelson's of the world make you wanna throw something through your brand new big screen TV. :)

Just be glad you're not my buddy today.

We play in a keeper league, I had Brees for 5 years straight until this season. My best friend/arch fantasy nemesis drafts him. Texts me relentlessly every time Brees has a big game. When I lost Gronk to injury, I heard about it. When I outscored everyone in the league except the team I was playing, I heard about it. When I missed the playoffs by 1 game, I heard about it. Relentless.

Well, he benched Brees and Cooks yesterday. Starting squad 58 points, bench 137 points.

Starting last night he began to receive a series of pictures of me wearing my Drew Brees jersey in various poses. He will continue to get them throughout the week.

This morning I started with: "Good Morning Sunshine!" Accompanied by me, my Brees jersey, and my middle finger.

Lost to a JV squad that started 5 guys I dropped this year (T West, S Smith Sr, Gotskowski, Marquis Lee, Garcon).....
Obviously those players told the other head coach what plays you run.  :D

Dynasty - I've had the highest scoring team and didn't make the playoffs. I've had the 2nd highest soring team and also didn't make the playoffs. I've had superior dream teams consisting of multiple now HOF players and have lost to hack teams.

Redraft - won twice in 8 years but our best team ever lost to a hack team because of a blizzard that neutralized Stafford to Johnson.

Jesus dude, you won it two years in a row and are pissing and moaning because you got upset. Upsets happen.

We play in a keeper league, I had Brees for 5 years straight until this season. My best friend/arch fantasy nemesis drafts him. Texts me relentlessly every time Brees has a big game. When I lost Gronk to injury, I heard about it. When I outscored everyone in the league except the team I was playing, I heard about it. When I missed the playoffs by 1 game, I heard about it. Relentless.

Well, he benched Brees and Cooks yesterday. Starting squad 58 points, bench 137 points.

Starting last night he began to receive a series of pictures of me wearing my Drew Brees jersey in various poses. He will continue to get them throughout the week.

This morning I started with: "Good Morning Sunshine!" Accompanied by me, my Brees jersey, and my middle finger.
:thumbup:    :lol:

We award 1/3 of the pot to most points and a trophy.  I can remember the last time the winner of the regular season went on to win our week 16 final ... it's just the way it works.

I think every fantasy player can relate to similar experiences. Even the owners that act like it doesn't bother them when this happens to them are lying a bit--as it's very frustrating.  However--with that being said---it is important to realize that fantasy sports involve both luck and skill. The breakdown of how much luck or skill is certainly debatable.  I personally believe that it is both unfortunate and unavoidable that most of the playoffs in fantasy sports (I only play head to head versions of football, basketball, baseball) occur at the flukiest times of the year.    Some of the owners in one of my ten teamers have kicked around the idea of shortening our regular season to create a 4 week playoff schedule.  We are thinking about making our regular season 11 weeks long-- and then making each of the two playoff rounds two weeks long.   Has anybody tried anything like this--and if so--how do you like it?  

I think every fantasy player can relate to similar experiences. Even the owners that act like it doesn't bother them when this happens to them are lying a bit--as it's very frustrating.  However--with that being said---it is important to realize that fantasy sports involve both luck and skill. The breakdown of how much luck or skill is certainly debatable.  I personally believe that it is both unfortunate and unavoidable that most of the playoffs in fantasy sports (I only play head to head versions of football, basketball, baseball) occur at the flukiest times of the year.    Some of the owners in one of my ten teamers have kicked around the idea of shortening our regular season to create a 4 week playoff schedule.  We are thinking about making our regular season 11 weeks long-- and then making each of the two playoff rounds two weeks long.   Has anybody tried anything like this--and if so--how do you like it?  
I'm not sure there's any way to avoid the luck factor in fantasy football. Any time your game revolves around one game or one weekend of games the luck factor grows significantly. Fantasy baseball is much higher in skill in my opinion because you are talking about a six-month or so season with games nearly every day of the week. If Mike Trout goes 0-fer on Monday he has the rest of the week to make it up for you. If Drew Brees throws 200 yards 0 TDs and 3 picks on Sunday you're dead and if it happens in the playoffs you might really be dead. 

And those kinds of games can happen at any week of the season to even the greatest of players. You just have no way of knowing when. Yes the matchups could tell us something in terms of predicting. We knew Tom Brady would struggle for example yesterday but most people probably thought Andrew Luck would too and he obviously didn't. I doubt many people were frightened by Brees' matchup against the Bucs a couple of weeks ago and on and on. You don't know when a great player is going to kill you, when he's going to go off in an absurd way like Bell did last week or Julio's 300-yard game this season or when some running back out of nowhere will go all Matt Asiata on you in a critical week of the season.

I think a lot of people spend a lot of time trying to eliminate the luck element in fantasy football when the reality is there's no way you're never going to remove it because it's just too prevalent. In my opinion.

I had a long running league with two-week playoff contests and loved it.  The larger the league, the harder it is to balance the schedule for a short season, but if it can be made to work, it greatly increases (without guaranteeing) that the "stronger" team isn't done in by a single star injury or fluke matchup.

I'd even say play regular season doubleheaders in order to make room for a two-week playoff slate, if it was needed for scheduling.

What you said:

My own personal ##### thread-- feel free to call me a ###### or add in your own misery--

Ive been playing Fantasy football for probably 10 years and this was EASILY the best team Ive ever assembled. I drafted my ### off and uses the wire/trades to build what seemed like a dream team. Well my dream team-- in a .5 ppr league w/ two flexes-- scored a whopping 103 yesterday. I didnt have a single player score a touchdown... Not one. I won the league the last two years but those teams didnt hold a candle to this one. Yesterday was maybe the most painful day of FF I can recall-- and I admit-- I take this 'fun' hobby way to seriously...

My team:

What I heard:  "He won his league 2 out of 3 years."   Not sure I see the real problem here.

(Caveat: I've stopped playing FF but then I'm just burned out on keeping up with all football news. And so far it has been the right choice for me.)

I'm not sure there's any way to avoid the luck factor in fantasy football. Any time your game revolves around one game or one weekend of games the luck factor grows significantly. Fantasy baseball is much higher in skill in my opinion because you are talking about a six-month or so season with games nearly every day of the week. If Mike Trout goes 0-fer on Monday he has the rest of the week to make it up for you. If Drew Brees throws 200 yards 0 TDs and 3 picks on Sunday you're dead and if it happens in the playoffs you might really be dead. 

And those kinds of games can happen at any week of the season to even the greatest of players. You just have no way of knowing when. Yes the matchups could tell us something in terms of predicting. We knew Tom Brady would struggle for example yesterday but most people probably thought Andrew Luck would too and he obviously didn't. I doubt many people were frightened by Brees' matchup against the Bucs a couple of weeks ago and on and on. You don't know when a great player is going to kill you, when he's going to go off in an absurd way like Bell did last week or Julio's 300-yard game this season or when some running back out of nowhere will go all Matt Asiata on you in a critical week of the season.

I think a lot of people spend a lot of time trying to eliminate the luck element in fantasy football when the reality is there's no way you're never going to remove it because it's just too prevalent. In my opinion.
I totally agree with you. There will always be luck involved--period.  However--I think the premise is that if you make each playoff round a compilation of 2 weeks--you are reducing the amount of luck by essentially extending the length of the matchup.   It'd be like the difference between a best of 3 series vs a best of  5 series. I'd expect the better team to win a greater majority of the time in a best of 5 series.   Does that completely remove luck--heck no.   In any case--this is just an idea that four or five of the owners in our league has tossed around--so I was mainly looking to see if any FBG's had experience with this format--and how they liked/disliked it.   

Why let this get you so far down? It's just a game, based off a child's game that young adults happen to be good at, people want to watch it so it's glorified on TV. 

I lost last year based off a stat correction that came after the next week's games had already started. So instead of winning 1st I won 3rd. Sucks but if you let stuff like this get to you, you should either stop playing FF, decrease the league's your in, or figure out a way to not let it bother you if you want to keep playing. 

I used to let fantasy get to me but I learned to accept that it's mostly luck and no matter how much work I put in I can't predict if Ajayi runs to the center instead of the wide open hole to the left at the 1 yard line. I can't control the fluke 85 yard TD run from my opponents RB. Stuff happens. 

You seem to be good at FF. You've won the last 2 years. You had a great team. This is probably my worst team I've assembled in my league, and here I am in the finals. It happens. 

I think you should quit .. I mean ten years and you just figured out there is luck involved (in any given matchup, just intensified when you make the playoffs which is all you have control of)

Feel your pain OP. Went 11-2, winning the league by 3 games, and had the most points. 1 and done for me. Left Michael Thomas on my bench in favor of Watkins. What an idiotic idea.

Different year and same old thread.  This year is no different than last year.

I do like the puppy idea though.  I know all my troubles would melt away if I have some puppies to play with.

been a brutal year.  every year the 12-1 team seems to get bumped by a team of week 13 pickups.  hopefully your league pays out for high scores or division winners during reg season.

highest scoring team in our playoffs played Bilal Powell and Ty Montgomery at RB and are advancing to playoffs.
I went 11-2 and destroyed the rest of the league. I squeaked by last week and assuming Cam Newton doesn't drop a 50 bomb tonight, I'll squeak by again and headed to the championship. I'll be playing a 6-7 team that was 10th of 12th in points scored. Guy has no business even making the playoffs let alone getting a payout for reaching the championship. Some good teams got knocked off due to the randomness and luck of the post-season games. I read another thread where someone said they didn't want the regular season to have any bearing on a tie game in the playoffs. Why? A 7-9 wild card team making the Super Bowl might be a good story line for the media, but it sucks when that happens in your FF league.

24 years I have been playing this game. 

Of our ten highest scoring teams in that period, I hold the 2-4 and 7 spots. 

2 2009 Team, scored 1356.5, finished 8-5 regular season - won the championship

3 2007 Team scored 1348.5, finished 11-2 regular season - lost first round

4 2013 Team scored 1314.0, finished 7-6 regular season - did not make playoffs

7 2004 Team scored 1292.0 finished 8-5 regular season - lost in semi's

Out of that top 10 list only 2 times has the season high score won the championship one was 8-5 regular season the other was 9-4 regular season.

So since regular season scoring doesn't seem to have a correlation, I went back through the seasons to see what seeds have won the championship:

1993 - only 8 teams in the league, 2 seed won the championship.

1994 - expanded to 12 but 8 teams make playoffs.  8 seed (7-7) won it all.

1995 - 2 seed won it all (11-3)

1996 - 3 seed (9-5) won it all

1997 - 4 seed (9-5) won it all

1998 - 3 seed (9-5) won it all

1999 - 3 seed (8-6) won it all

2000 - 3 seed (8-4-1) won it all - back to back champs

2001 - 2 seed (9-3-1) won it all

2002 - 4 seed (8-5) won it all

2003 - 1 seed (10-3) won it all

2004 - 7 seed (7-6) won it all

2005 - 1 seed (11-2) won it all

2006 - 4 seed (8-5) won it all

2007 - 7 seed (6-7) won it all

2008 - 1 seed (10-3) won it all

2009 - 3 seed (8-5) won it all

2010 - 6 seed (7-6) won it all

2011 - 2 seed (8-5) won it all - this was our only season with an undefeated regular season and that team lost in round 1

2012 - 5 seed (7-6) won it all

2013 - 3 seed (9-4) won it all - back to back champs

2014 - 2 seed (9-4) won it all

2015 - 5 seed (8-5) won it all

2016 - 2 seed (9-3-1) vs 3 seed (9-4) in the championship - 1 seed was 11-2 and got knocked out in semis.

So in 24 years, only 3 times has the highest seed won it all. 5 times the #2, 5 times the #3.  Hell, the 4, 5 and 7 have won it twice, and only the 6 and the 8 have a single championship.

The point of this exercise?  Playoffs are all about luck and matchups and the team that gets you highly seeded is not the team that will likely win a championship.

I had a long running league with two-week playoff contests and loved it.  The larger the league, the harder it is to balance the schedule for a short season, but if it can be made to work, it greatly increases (without guaranteeing) that the "stronger" team isn't done in by a single star injury or fluke matchup.

I'd even say play regular season doubleheaders in order to make room for a two-week playoff slate, if it was needed for scheduling.
We do something like this.  We start with the team's average score for the season, then add weeks 14,15 and 16 to it to create a total score.  The team with the highest score that is in the playoff bracket is the champ.  Two specific advantages:

1- Teams that have a great season have a little advantage to begin in that their average score is generally higher.

2- No team in the play-off bracket is done in by one fluke week.

We have been playing under this format for years and we all like it.

My team:

I see the issue, no TJ Housmanzadirszklesadza, cause he = Championship! 

The point of this exercise?  Playoffs are all about luck and matchups and the team that gets you highly seeded is not the team that will likely win a championship.
Speaking of matchups. In NFL.com my league has 4 matchups for the first round of the playoffs. The #1 seed (me) is matched against the #8 seed. I win and it's predetermined that the winner of that matchup plays the winner of the #4/#5 seeds. So when the #8 and #7 seeds won, they play each other to advance to the championship while I play the #5 seed. So two teams that had a 6-7 record are playing to advance to the championship while I play an 8-5 team. This is so incredibly foolish.

Went 12-2 saw the playoffs on the schedule and said to myself - I am done. Games hit and I got rolled by his running backs where mine did not live up to the expectation. All luck. Played now 25 years and I lost interest for many reason but I said to myself - if I win it all, I will come back for one more season. If I get bounced I am done. As others have stated - strip away the time you are putting into it. I used to play in leagues with live drafts, beer parties, bar b ques, scotch, weed, tunes, ball busting and big hangouts. When the cold hit we showed up with tons of coffee packed hitter boxes and football all day. Those days are long gone. Marriages, kids and relocations hit. Most owners auto draft these days and no one comes out ant longer. Some guys went on to form their own dynasty leagues. Other just drifted to free Yahoo. Not as fun so it really is just one big 14 week bet. For me, I cannot stand the NFL product any longer - instant replays, never ending hype, even more never ending drama, even more on top of more commercial break after commercial break and then there are the games. The NFL factor. On any given week. I figured I broke even. Had some fun. Quite a number of arguments and lost some guys that I thought were friends (never insult the women over a game). The big thing is - try not to put too much into it. I joined fantasy hockey for free with total strangers and like it a lot more. All good things come to an end. Matter of perspective. 

24 years I have been playing this game. 

<snip>

This is a big reason that I'm in favor of 6 team playoffs with a bye for the top 2 seeds.

Great story, Skoo!!    :lmao:

As a Brees owner, I thoroughly enjoyed it.   

Went 12-2 saw the playoffs on the schedule and said to myself - I am done. Games hit and I got rolled by his running backs where mine did not live up to the expectation. All luck. Played now 25 years and I lost interest for many reason but I said to myself - if I win it all, I will come back for one more season. If I get bounced I am done. As others have stated - strip away the time you are putting into it. I used to play in leagues with live drafts, beer parties, bar b ques, scotch, weed, tunes, ball busting and big hangouts. When the cold hit we showed up with tons of coffee packed hitter boxes and football all day. Those days are long gone. Marriages, kids and relocations hit. Most owners auto draft these days and no one comes out ant longer. Some guys went on to form their own dynasty leagues. Other just drifted to free Yahoo. Not as fun so it really is just one big 14 week bet. For me, I cannot stand the NFL product any longer - instant replays, never ending hype, even more never ending drama, even more on top of more commercial break after commercial break and then there are the games. The NFL factor. On any given week. I figured I broke even. Had some fun. Quite a number of arguments and lost some guys that I thought were friends (never insult the women over a game). The big thing is - try not to put too much into it. I joined fantasy hockey for free with total strangers and like it a lot more. All good things come to an end. Matter of perspective. 
This is EXACTLY where I've been the last 3 years now. I have said when I stop winning I'll stop playing. So far I've been doing great, so I can't really step away. It hasn't cost me anything, but it's allowed me to buy cool things like kayaks, tablets, and something nice for my wife putting up with my time invested. 

When I am no longer having fun AND losing, I will step away. 

The problem IMO is that the NFL has changed to an extent that has made FF much more of a crapshoot.

1) Today you see 3-5 WR sets.  Very few bellcow RBs.  Coaches now like to use multiple backs, backs that are specialized for a situation.  That situation is dependent on the game script or the gameplan.  Many teams will also ride the hot hand at RB..  On the WR front, with 3-5 WR sets, coaches (and QBs) can figure out which matchup they like the best and keep going to it all game long until the other team can stop it.  So one game you may see a stud like Dez Bryant get 12-14 targets and post a huge game.....then the next game Dez is pretty much a decoy because DAL likes the slot receiver/nickel corner matchup....and then you see Cole Beasley catch 8-10 passes and a TD.  Or you see many QBs spread the ball around........they throw to the open guy.  Look at Matt Ryan.  He's having a great year....probably his best.  But he isn't forcing it to Julio, so Julio has been more of a boom or bust guy this year....and Julio was a consensus top 5 pick overall.

2) I think more games are lost due to injury now vs the past.  I think this is more due to the concussion protocol the NFL put into place.  It's great for player safety, but a player gets concussed, you don't know if he will miss no time or a month.  And with more games missed, it's harder for us to predict the gameplans, since many teams adjust to their personnel.

3) Maybe I wrong, but it just seems like more penalties are called these days.  The penalties kill drives and kill opportunities for yardage (ie PI calls).

You add all these up, and the variance of FF is more than ever.  So it's a crapshoot and we just need to deal with it.

We may continue to see less and less play season long FF and more play DFS where bad luck or injuries affect you for one week only.

This is a big reason that I'm in favor of 6 team playoffs with a bye for the top 2 seeds.
I always hated ff bye weeks because as dumb luck would have it, when you're a great team on a fantasy bye that is when your best players get hurt in real life or when you do play the next week that is when your stud-laden team gets players rested in real life. when you're the contending team that isn't the favorite that's when you play that one week that would have gotten the job done but didn't get a chance.  

Before I quit I put into place in a few leagues a system where the playoff teams are determined in the first 12 weeks, then the playoff teams all play a best ball/most points type of tournament that lasts three weeks and then a title game from the top two in week 16. That smoothed out the randomness of that one bad game or injury quite a bit and I think all the owners generally feel that after three weeks of playoffs amongst teams that spent 12 weeks deciding who was in that group, the two that make the title game are deserving. 

It really took away that aspect of the guy that would have beaten every one except from r that one day...under this weekend Rd weather conditions..-and his stud got cultured, etc. 15 weeks, arranged in the proper way, is a good way to Guage the season and if you can minimize the randomness if that one lucky and fluke game, it works. 

Speaking of matchups. In NFL.com my league has 4 matchups for the first round of the playoffs. The #1 seed (me) is matched against the #8 seed. I win and it's predetermined that the winner of that matchup plays the winner of the #4/#5 seeds. So when the #8 and #7 seeds won, they play each other to advance to the championship while I play the #5 seed. So two teams that had a 6-7 record are playing to advance to the championship while I play an 8-5 team. This is so incredibly foolish.
Sorry but you said #1 plays #8 and you have both advancing. Can't be. Are you saying it was predetermined IF team 7&8 won? 

If 7&8 won, then it should be the highest ranked team either 3, 4 or 5 playing 8.         6 and 7 do not play 8 in round 2. 

Change the rules next year to have it reseed each week with highest ranked playing lowest remaining ranked team,

Sorry but you said #1 plays #8 and you have both advancing. Can't be. Are you saying it was predetermined IF team 7&8 won? 

If 7&8 won, then it should be the highest ranked team either 3, 4 or 5 playing 8.         6 and 7 do not play 8 in round 2. 

Change the rules next year to have it reseed each week with highest ranked playing lowest remaining ranked team,
Sorry. 6&7 won and face each other for the Championship. I didn't know you could change the way they seed teams on NFL.com

The problem IMO is that the NFL has changed to an extent that has made FF much more of a crapshoot.

1) Today you see 3-5 WR sets.  Very few bellcow RBs.  Coaches now like to use multiple backs, backs that are specialized for a situation.  That situation is dependent on the game script or the gameplan.  Many teams will also ride the hot hand at RB..  On the WR front, with 3-5 WR sets, coaches (and QBs) can figure out which matchup they like the best and keep going to it all game long until the other team can stop it.  So one game you may see a stud like Dez Bryant get 12-14 targets and post a huge game.....then the next game Dez is pretty much a decoy because DAL likes the slot receiver/nickel corner matchup....and then you see Cole Beasley catch 8-10 passes and a TD.  Or you see many QBs spread the ball around........they throw to the open guy.  Look at Matt Ryan.  He's having a great year....probably his best.  But he isn't forcing it to Julio, so Julio has been more of a boom or bust guy this year....and Julio was a consensus top 5 pick overall.

2) I think more games are lost due to injury now vs the past.  I think this is more due to the concussion protocol the NFL put into place.  It's great for player safety, but a player gets concussed, you don't know if he will miss no time or a month.  And with more games missed, it's harder for us to predict the gameplans, since many teams adjust to their personnel.

3) Maybe I wrong, but it just seems like more penalties are called these days.  The penalties kill drives and kill opportunities for yardage (ie PI calls).

You add all these up, and the variance of FF is more than ever.  So it's a crapshoot and we just need to deal with it.

We may continue to see less and less play season long FF and more play DFS where bad luck or injuries affect you for one week only.
This is creating a different discussion and I apologize for the sidetrack but while I enjoy DFS it just doesn't compare to season-long in any way, shape or form for me. The whole point of fantasy sports for me is putting together a team and managing that team through a season. That's what I enjoy most - the phony general manager aspect of it. Even when I don't always make the right draft picks, waiver wire pickups or lineup decisions that's still the nuts and bolts of the game that I enjoy the most. DFS just can't in any way replicate that. Sure I'm putting a lineup together but having the entire league's worth of players to choose from isn't the same.

In Season Long if I don't have A.J. Green, for example, I have a limited number of options to choose from to replace him. In DFS I have everybody. For DFS, the selling point is how great the latter is. For me, the selling point of the game is the former because of the challenge in finding that player who's going to make my team better. Yeah it sucks if I don't get it right but I still love the challenge and that's what brings me back every year. DFS will never capture that and as a result it will never capture all of the things about fantasy sports that I really love the most. So when I play DFS it's just for casual fun and to give me a little something extra in the games each week. If it went away I wouldn't miss it at all. If season long went away my NFL experience would be crushed.

Sorry for the sidetrack.     

My team:

I quit this season.  Didn't play at all, down from 4 leagues last year.  Here's how my season went:

Almost restarted playing in about June.  Dynasty draft and all that.  Decided not to in August.  Since August (and finally quitting for sure)

Lost 20 lbs of fat

Got a new job

Earned my residential builders license.

So no, you won't miss it.  Plus I truly enjoy watching my team (Go Pack Go) play again now.  My friends rarely talk to me about it.  I didn't realize how some players had risen and others tanked.  Didn't care one bit.  

ISo no, you won't miss it.  Plus I truly enjoy watching my team (Go Pack Go) play again now.  My friends rarely talk to me about it.  I didn't realize how some players had risen and others tanked.  Didn't care one bit.  
This will be the sole reason when I actually quit FF.  I want to go back to watching football the way it is meant to be watched.....rooting for your favorite team (mine is the Bears), or just watching a great game if you don't have a vested interest in the teams.  I will start focusing on the game itself and not look below at the ticker.  I might actually know what every team's record is.  I had no idea that Detroit has already won 9 games!

This will be the sole reason when I actually quit FF.  I want to go back to watching football the way it is meant to be watched.....rooting for your favorite team (mine is the Bears), or just watching a great game if you don't have a vested interest in the teams.  I will start focusing on the game itself and not look below at the ticker.  I might actually know what every team's record is.  I had no idea that Detroit has already won 9 games!
The funny one was when my brother mentioned he was in the playoffs and I was like "holy crap it's week 14 already?"  I didn't even realize how quickly the season gets away.  I was just focused on the Packers being a few games behind the Lions.  

I recommend not watching anything but your home team, and the prime time games when it suits you, I avoid the Sunday 1pm-8pm slots unless its my team

Has worked great this year as my team does much better when I don't watch and I haven't had as much stomach churning. 

I treat the season more now as a heavy Stat analysis during the week which I enjoy.

Watching the games, I enjoy less then ever for some reason.

I think the NFL has jumped the shark in terms of games.  Way too many prime time games.  I don't think I watched a single one of them without my fantasy life at stake.  I heard I missed a great game between the Chiefs and Broncos a few weeks ago that I wish I'd watched.  

I quit this season.  Didn't play at all, down from 4 leagues last year.  Here's how my season went:

Almost restarted playing in about June.  Dynasty draft and all that.  Decided not to in August.  Since August (and finally quitting for sure)

Lost 20 lbs of fat

Got a new job

Earned my residential builders license.

So no, you won't miss it.  Plus I truly enjoy watching my team (Go Pack Go) play again now.  My friends rarely talk to me about it.  I didn't realize how some players had risen and others tanked.  Didn't care one bit.  
If you are no longer involved in fantasy football what enjoyment do you get coming on here?

Mostly the Packers thread and the FFA.  Every once in a while I like to see what's going on with a player.  I've been coming to this site for almost 20 years.  Habits are hard to break and I haven't found a better one.

Users who are viewing this thread