What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would Gruden possibly return to coaching? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Gruden being "targeted" by the Rams.

does anyone think there's any chance of this happening?

As it is, he can be 100% correct every week. Every single week he's a winner. Every week he's a genius. 

he gets paid really well, and his decisions are never questioned. He gets to benefit from 20-20 hindsight every week, and he's never questioned for any decision, ever. 

what possible incentive would he have to return to coaching? 

Gruden being "targeted" by the Rams.

does anyone think there's any chance of this happening?

As it is, he can be 100% correct every week. Every single week he's a winner. Every week he's a genius. 

he gets paid really well, and his decisions are never questioned. He gets to benefit from 20-20 hindsight every week, and he's never questioned for any decision, ever. 

Because of competition. Certain people are competitive junkies. They like to compete. It would get pretty stale just analyzing and commentating. But maybe not.

Because of competition. Certain people are competitive junkies. They like to compete. It would get pretty stale just analyzing and commentating. But maybe not.
Agree. I'd bet against him taking it, but if he does, that's the reason. Especially given the way his tenure in TB ended, I'm sure he'd love to prove the Glazers wrong. But logically speaking, I agree with the OP that it makes no sense.

"The bug"

that's the only thing that makes sense. The old ball coach wanting to see if he still has it. 

Ego is the only possible reason. 

It would be such a dumb move imo. He gets paid a premium coach's salary with no pressure, time to enjoy life and his family, and be around football as an expert. No getting up at 3 a.m. No year-round work. 

And he's basically earned a job for life. Like someone said, he's Madden. And he can do it for decades. It's not easy to make that transition to broadcasting. He succeeded in a very difficult field. And he already has a ring. 

A job without pressure that lets you be around football and treated like royalty, plus make as much as you'd make on the field? Plus months off at a time? I guess I'm not that competitive. I'd be enjoying my family and my life and thanking my Maker that I got a ring and the greatest retirement possible, all while I'm young enough to enjoy it. Hope he does the same.

It would be such a dumb move imo. He gets paid a premium coach's salary with no pressure, time to enjoy life and his family, and be around football as an expert. No getting up at 3 a.m. No year-round work. 

And he's basically earned a job for life. Like someone said, he's Madden. And he can do it for decades. It's not easy to make that transition to broadcasting. He succeeded in a very difficult field. And he already has a ring. 

A job without pressure that lets you be around football and treated like royalty, plus make as much as you'd make on the field? Plus months off at a time? I guess I'm not that competitive. I'd be enjoying my family and my life and thanking my Maker that I got a ring and the greatest retirement possible, all while I'm young enough to enjoy it. Hope he does the same.
Plus he gets to award the "Gruden Grinder"! 

:)  

It's not just the competition, it's the winning at the highest level.   There's got to be no feeling like it.   The validation for the time and effort can't be matched.   It's why guys like Brady continue to do it dispite every reason not to.   

He is now the Madden of TV. Much better off in booth and had much better options prior. Rams are a terrible play for a good HC as they have a terrible young QB and they overspent to get him. You basically are stuck with him.
Way way way to early to make the terrible young QB statement.  

If Gruden was interested in coaching again, he would have done it by now. Just like Cowher. Both of them will never coach again. 

Plus he gets to award the "Gruden Grinder"! 

:)  
Should have given it to the Cheerleader who was knocked down by Cousins. 

"I'm tellin ya, she bounced right up after going down and instantly started grinding like she was doing a lap dance on a fat man."  "She showed a lot of heart there."  "I can really get behind that type of cheerleader, and for that, I want to give her the Gruden Grinder."

From a financial standpoint, I dunno if it's even worth discussing.  

He's got his current crazy salary, which he can count on for the next 15 years, probably.  He might get similar money as a HC, but not a ton more.  And he is guaranteed, what, three years as HC?  If he gets fired, there's no guarantee that the same job awaits him when he is done.  There's no guarantee he'll succeed, and the Chucky faces on the sideline wouldn't play so well for a bad team.  The second the media gets a chance to knock him off his pedestal, they will, it's what they do.  

No, he's making too much money doing what he's doing to take on some bad football team.  

I wouldn't do it if I was in his shoes but he may be getting board doing the broadcast gig. He is a fierce competitor and may need that competition in his life to really feel like his living.  

Gruden would be good for Goff. Goff looks pretty bad but Gruden would give him a real chance to succeed. And, Gruden would dump Goff for a vet with promise if Goff doesn't work out by the end of next season.  The Rams would be in good shoes. 

Perhaps he would coach again if his QB was Andrew Luck.
Actually, yeah, that would be a solid gig.

Wonder if Gruden has a personnel guy in mind. 

Irsay handing the keys to Gruden, and some ace GM Gruden hand picks would be a power move.

Way way way to early to make the terrible young QB statement.  
Not to hyjack but oh my goodness... watching that last game he looked like a high school QB playing in the pros. He looked so so so so so bad. I can't even imagine what you're hoping for. He was missing WRs by 10 yards. Throwing the ball into the ground. I think I could have thrown better and my spiral sucks

Yeah, I guess one day he might be Alex Smith. Might. Looks more like David Carr IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
If he were to coach again, I would imagine it is because he enjoys it. It is in his blood. He grew up in a football family. There are highs and lows in coaching, but the thrill of winning and celebrating with your team has to be a big high, which is something that you don't experience being a commentator. The fact that he has that quarterback camp tells me he misses working with players.

From a financial standpoint, I dunno if it's even worth discussing.  

He's got his current crazy salary, which he can count on for the next 15 years, probably.  He might get similar money as a HC, but not a ton more.  And he is guaranteed, what, three years as HC?  If he gets fired, there's no guarantee that the same job awaits him when he is done.  There's no guarantee he'll succeed, and the Chucky faces on the sideline wouldn't play so well for a bad team.  The second the media gets a chance to knock him off his pedestal, they will, it's what they do.  

No, he's making too much money doing what he's doing to take on some bad football team.  
That occurred to me too - now that he's been in the media, he's called out several coaches for in-game gaffs, clock mismanagement, bad play calling, etc.

how quick do you think the media will dig up a MNF sound bite of him criticizing a play after he makes the same mistake? 

Too much ammo, and I imagine some sense of bitterness / jealousy among sportscasters that Gruden landed that cushy MNF gig with no media experience whereas many of them have worked their whole lives to cover sports and would kill or die to land that job.  

They'll turn on him quick. 

And his last year in Tampa was pretty ugly. Grimacing was about all he did before being fired. 

Put me in the camp of "no matter how bad the itch to coach is, Gru's got it too good right now".  

It'd be like winning $200,000,000 in the lottery, then buying a scratcher the next day. 

Actually, yeah, that would be a solid gig.

Wonder if Gruden has a personnel guy in mind. 

Irsay handing the keys to Gruden, and some ace GM Gruden hand picks would be a power move.
Coach & GM might appeal to Gruden. It didn't work with his former coaching staffmate Holmgren, but that kind of power would be hard to pass up. 

If he were to coach again, I would imagine it is because he enjoys it. It is in his blood. He grew up in a football family. There are highs and lows in coaching, but the thrill of winning and celebrating with your team has to be a big high, which is something that you don't experience being a commentator. The fact that he has that quarterback camp tells me he misses working with players.
Yeah, but he can work with young players without being called a fool in the news the next day when his team doesn't win. 

While the highs are pretty high, the lows are incredibly low too. 

Yeah, but he can work with young players without being called a fool in the news the next day when his team doesn't win. 

While the highs are pretty high, the lows are incredibly low too. 
He doesn't seem thin skinned to me, so I don't think being called a fool would bother him. He's been called worse. Highs and Lows are a part of sports. Anyway, your question was what possible incentive would he have to return to coaching, and my answer is his desire to be a coach again in the NFL. It would have to be on his terms, but if he was offered what he wanted and it be where he wanted, ya never know...

I think it's funny a large portion of this discussion is around money.  Gruden has enough, period.  He's not doing the commentating because he's living paycheck to paycheck like you fools, it's because he loves being around the game.  Assuming he believes he can still coach at that level the only reason he doesn't take that job is because he doesn't want to go back to that kind of grind either for family, lifestyle or medical reasons.

Having said that, he could also very well understand he's too far behind the game.  By taking that phone call he could be signaling that he's interested as if teams believe he still has it, which in turn keeps him enviable at the commentating job.  One thing he can't do is take that coaching job, suck at it for two years and then find his commentating job waiting for him.  People will think he doesn't know what he's talking about even if he said the same stuff he does today.

I think it's funny a large portion of this discussion is around money.  Gruden has enough, period.  He's not doing the commentating because he's living paycheck to paycheck like you fools, it's because he loves being around the game.  Assuming he believes he can still coach at that level the only reason he doesn't take that job is because he doesn't want to go back to that kind of grind either for family, lifestyle or medical reasons.

Having said that, he could also very well understand he's too far behind the game. 
Exactly. I've never known a wealthy person that did not want to be wealthier but with respect to him walking away from a job he likely has for life I'd reply how much of an allure is that when you likely already have enough money for life?

I don't think he is to far behind the game but the major issue coaches have when they sit out as long as he has is coaching contacts and ability to build a staff.

Would be great if i could turn the tv on and know that i wouodnt year Gruden's inane rambling for some time.

Does anyone even think he'd be successful if he coached again? The game changes so fast, doesnt take long to become outdated.
Nope. He knows he's not a good coach. He won with Dungy's team and then it fell apart. He does think every QB he sees is great. He would much rather have people think he's great than show them that he's not.

Nope. He knows he's not a good coach. He won with Dungy's team and then it fell apart. He does think every QB he sees is great. He would much rather have people think he's great than show them that he's not.
Well, to be fair he did pretty much resurrect the Raiders and  helped to build them into a monster.

I'm not sure why people don't like Gruden as an announcer, I think he is awesome and I definitely hope he stays in the booth. The guy is so passionate about football, yes he most definitely "love's" the way this guy or that guy plays every week, but who cares, I think he is very sincere and for the most part speaks very intelligently about football and plays and players. 

I'm not sure why people don't like Gruden as an announcer, I think he is awesome and I definitely hope he stays in the booth. The guy is so passionate about football, yes he most definitely "love's" the way this guy or that guy plays every week, but who cares, I think he is very sincere and for the most part speaks very intelligently about football and plays and players. 
It's probably not his fault because it's been ESPN's MO for years but they are at best to overly positive on players and at worst they predetermine before the game who they are going to gush over or defend. Collinsworth does same thing at times, they all do, Gruden just seems to do it more than most and so often that he loses credibility in terms of being authentic and comes across as almost a sales pitch.

Of course a Packers fan likes him--he fellates you guys routinely.  If he isn't the announcer during one specific Packers/Seahawks game it would be known as the "Success Mary" instead of the "Fail Mary".  He's far too brash about his opinions and the audience buys into it too much.

Exactly. I've never known a wealthy person that did not want to be wealthier but with respect to him walking away from a job he likely has for life I'd reply how much of an allure is that when you likely already have enough money for life?

I don't think he is to far behind the game but the major issue coaches have when they sit out as long as he has is coaching contacts and ability to build a staff.
No one has any idea what his personal finances are, or what his opinion of his personal finances are.

It's laughable that anyone thinks a 15 to 20 year future at 6-plus million is barely worth mentioning because someone is already stealthy.

People are a lot more cavalier about someone else's millions, aren't they? "Ahh, no problem, Gruden can walk away from 60-plus million, he's already made 20 mill in his career!"

:lmao:

No one has any idea what his personal finances are, or what his opinion of his personal finances are.

It's laughable that anyone thinks a 15 to 20 year future at 6-plus million is barely worth mentioning because someone is already stealthy.

People are a lot more cavalier about someone else's millions, aren't they? "Ahh, no problem, Gruden can walk away from 60-plus million, he's already made 20 mill in his career!"

:lmao:
I'm guessing you are the only one who found humor in my post, kind of odd really but to each their own.

And if we want to play your game and think Gruden needs the money this is the part where I tell you he'll get at least 5 years guaranteed at more per year then he's making now and he can always return to the booth if Rams gig does not work and he needs to make ends meet. Heck, if he really fails he can get canned after a few years and double dip.

Of course a Packers fan likes him--he fellates you guys routinely.  If he isn't the announcer during one specific Packers/Seahawks game it would be known as the "Success Mary" instead of the "Fail Mary".  He's far too brash about his opinions and the audience buys into it too much.
My opinion has absolutely nothing to do with that game or any game that he does in particular, I love his passion for the game of football. I seriously doubt any announcer on a professional level would have given Seattle any more credit for that game, funny thing is Seattle got the win and your still the one talking about it. ;)  I guess after a couple weeks ago, its a very fond memory for you, and I can accept that. Before you get all hurt, I hope "if" we do make the playoffs, someone else beats Seattle before we have to play them again, I think we played lights out and Seattle played lights off in that last game and I seriously doubt that will ever happen again, I got much respect for the talent in Seattle offensively and defensively, but they do try to bully teams and have quite a few cheap shot players on that team, which I don't respect. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing you are the only one who found humor in my post, kind of odd really but to each their own.

And if we want to play your game and think Gruden needs the money this is the part where I tell you he'll get at least 5 years guaranteed at more per year then he's making now and he can always return to the booth if Rams gig does not work and he needs to make ends meet. Heck, if he really fails he can get canned after a few years and double dip.
Yeah I didn't say he needed the money.

I am saying the money matters.

I am saying guys on a message board dismissing the financial implications here are proof that people can talk confidently about all kinds of subjects without having any idea what they are taking about.  

Lol. And he doesn't even "compete" to be good at commentating.
For me personally, if I am not competing for something, anything, life is boring. If I am not involved in some investment, business, game, sport, even coaching my kids teams ... it's the closest think to primal energy we have in this society of being in the Jungle and BEING ALIVE. Sure there is a time to step back when you get burnt out, but the longer you are away it builds up inside you. I can understand why some people don't get it. Its not a feeling everyone shares, but to have another shot at coaching at the highest level and proving yourself with results sounds infinitely more exciting to me than watching and commentating. I would choose to coach again if given the right opp, but that's just me. He's already made more money than he needs to outlast his life. Nobody is going to say at his eulogy, and this man made $XX number of dollars over his lifetime, making wise decisions to commentate for more money over coaching. But if he gets another ring, or two, or three ...

Once you have enough money, you don't really dwell on making more of it like when you did when you didn't have it and are trying to make it, unless you have a love for making money (which is the root of all evil). It's just a different mindset. Look up Maslow's pyramid & hierarchy of motives & needs to get an understanding about how rich people think compared to poor, middle class, etc.  http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html I know its a theory, but I have found it to be true over the course of my life. He want's to realize his full potential, and that might not mean coaching football again, or it might. Only he knows if he has the bug to come back or not. Maybe he wants to be the best racecar driver. I don't know, just saying that is why coaches come back after a hiatus. Notice the highest order of the list of that link "Transcendence needs - helping others to achieve self actualization." I can tell you from experience in coaching, this is one of the most satisfying feelings in the world, helping kids achieve greatness. Its a personal great feeling when you help another. This is why coaching is so rewarding. I feel even better about teaching/coaching kids and watching them perform not just as athletes, but as young responsible men than I do about my own achievements. Gruden is not feeding this need as a commentator. You have to be on the field, coaching to fulfill this need.

He gets only so many years to compete. Added incentive ... I always like to compete with my brothers. We are about to meet up again this Christmas at parent's home, and each year you bet it comes up about bragging rights for our fantasy league when one of us wins, also even the week we play each other the loser gives the winner a concession congratulatory call after Monday night game LOL. Well take that a step further in real life if the Gruden's face off in real football. He never had that chance his first go around. Sounds a lot more interesting. I know the Harbaughs had a few interesting holidays. ;)  

It's probably not his fault because it's been ESPN's MO for years but they are at best to overly positive on players and at worst they predetermine before the game who they are going to gush over or defend. Collinsworth does same thing at times, they all do, Gruden just seems to do it more than most and so often that he loses credibility in terms of being authentic and comes across as almost a sales pitch.
A lot of commentators are former players, but Gruden is a former coach. I find it natural how he talks about the players while commentating.

Isn't being the new John Madden also winning at the highest level though? 
Sure but very different.  No doubt he's done very well in the booth and I'm sure he's proud of that. But he's a football guy through and through and I'm sure if you ask him if winning a Super Bowl or being a great Monday night commentator compare the answer would be pretty clear.  

Users who are viewing this thread