What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will unseat Magnus Carlsen as World Chess Champion? (1 Viewer)

Who will finally take down the Mozart of Chess?

• Fabiano Caruana

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Maxime Vachier-Lagrave

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Hikaru Nakamura

• Wesley So

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Anish Giri

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Sergei Karjakin

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Vladimir Kramnik

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ian Nepomniachtchi

• Wei Yi

• Jeffrey Xiong

• Awonder Liang

• Samuel Sevian

• Vincent Keymer

• A chess playing cyborg constructed from Polgar ova, Kasparov sperm and running Stockfish on an sexde

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

Tigran Petrosian

Footballguy
It's time was asked this serious question and gotten equally serious answers.  Magnus just defended his title for the second time, most recently against his contemporary and fellow chess prodigy Sergey Karjakin.  

If we acknowledge that old bastards like Anand, Ivanchuck and the recently cratering Topalov are out of the mix (I left Vlad in since he's still a stout 2809 elo rating), who is going to sink the Norwegian?

Serious replies only, please.

I see you are correct sir.  Perhaps tomorrow then ...
I hope so. He's had a couple of chances to seize control and missed them (in fairness, Carlsen had a shot in game 1 and bricked it.) I've been following all the games online, I just want to see a result at this point. All the draws are getting boring. 

Re Draw to blitz: If it's the best strategy, it's the one he should use. Good for him imo.

Is there a place online where you can follow along / update the moves for free while the game is going on and by advancing move by move (vs watching video)?

chess.com is great after the fact with in game commentary.  I know the draws are tiring but as each day passes the tension mounts.  If one of these guys manages a win in the next 3, it's going to be over the top through the end.

Wow.  Carauna has to feel like he still has a lot of work to do.  Imagine, at that level...How does he even prepare for another opportunity?  Play a lot of rapid chess I suppose?

Seems like Carlsen has relied on his advantage in blitz before - maybe the other grandmasters should spend some time practicing...

I give-what is the blitz deal?  they each have so much time to make their respective moves-time clock and all.  Where does the blitz come in & is this some sort of speed chess?

Based on what he does when Each guy doesn't have four hours and can't afford to go 20 moves deep into the book, is there really any doubt Carlsen is the best player?  Yet he's 1-22-1 in the last 24 World Championship matches.  He kind of has a point that all the computer stuff has leveled the field in classical chess. 

The games get progressively faster, until they reach "Armageddon": the final game will determine a winner, as if it ends in a draw, whoever played as Black is declared the winner.
Thanks,  appreciate  the info.  had no idea they do it this way now.

Seems like Carlsen has relied on his advantage in blitz before - maybe the other grandmasters should spend some time practicing...
Its similar to deciding a World Cup final on penalty kicks.

I'm sure any would-be champion preparing to play Carlsen would spend a great amount of time on blitz, right?

seems like a flawed format

what is the justification for the "blitz" structure and are there better alternatives?

seems like a flawed format

what is the justification for the "blitz" structure and are there better alternatives?
Used to be a tie went to the current champion. Blitz chess is probably more fair than that.

A better alternative would be more games. Fischer-Spassky was best of 24 games while this was best of 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody

I was vaguely aware that he was defending his title, but had not paid close attention to the fact it was already over.  4 wins, 7 draws.

Recap

Very disappointing match -- after the epic Game 6 Nepo fell apart.

It's likely one of the very young players who will eventually get him (the Iranian or Chinese kids maybe?).  He's proved his peers can't touch him.

Nobody

I was vaguely aware that he was defending his title, but had not paid close attention to the fact it was already over.  4 wins, 7 draws.

Recap
I watched a recap of each game. Magnus was near perfect. Ian couldn’t handle it and basically went on tilt. 

I want to make the Vision Quest speech here about being blown away by a human being able to do with magnus did. He basically was the most brilliant computer. 

Very disappointing match -- after the epic Game 6 Nepo fell apart.

It's likely one of the very young players who will eventually get him (the Iranian or Chinese kids maybe?).  He's proved his peers can't touch him.
Game 6 was incredible. Even games 1-5 were very well played by both. 

You could just see the confidence dissipate after that. Combined with needing to press by Ian, it was downhill from there. But, still, magnus continued to play near perfect thereafter. So good. 

I think Alireza will eventually beat him.  Nepo winning the candidates was a disappointment. Would have much rather seen Magnus square off against Fabiano again or even Ding.

Anish Giri's live reaction to Nepo hanging his bishop in game 9 was mildly entertaining.  The blunder gave Magnus a full point with black and a three point lead effectively ending the match.

I watched a recap of each game. Magnus was near perfect. Ian couldn’t handle it and basically went on tilt. 

I want to make the Vision Quest speech here about being blown away by a human being able to do with magnus did. He basically was the most brilliant computer. 

I watched most of the recaps in the evening. It made me anxious how much time Nepo spent away from the board.  I've never seen a player get up and leave the room so frequently and be gone for so long.  I'm sure there are video screens or boards he can look at wherever he goes off to, but it struck me that he was uncomfortable sitting across from the champ.

Users who are viewing this thread