What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP VCR - 2016 (1 Viewer)

NotSmart

Footballguy
I'm not sure which way I would have bet if I had been asked if a company was still manufacturing VCRs in 2016.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/12/10-tech-things-that-died-this-year.html

No, seriously. The VCR died in 2016. Funai Electric, a Japanese company that manufactured VCRs for more than 30 years, was the last big hold out when it came to the medium of VHS—until 2016. Once upon a time it was selling 15 million machines a year. Last year that figure was down to 750,000, which is still quite surprising.

750,000 people felt the need to buy a VCR last year? Funai’s decision to cease manufacturing won’t be noticed, most retail stores stopped selling VCRs over a year decade ago but it’s still the end of the era.

Weird, for some reason i've been thinking about all the enjoyment i got out of renting movies.

I remember when Platoon came out.  Took forever to get a copy at my local Action Video.

Cashier even told me who had the copy.  My friend.  They were kind of wealthy always had the videos.

I remember coming home and seeing videos on the counter.  Excited to see what we got.  Oh, Lost Boys.  Glory!  Twins, yes.

In the early 80s, you could rent VCR players from video stores. You had to put up your first-born as collateral, but still..... The machines were expensive as hell. I think I spent near $1,000 for the first one I bought in the mid-80s.

I still remember thinking how amazing it was that I could pop a tape into a machine and watch the exact movie that was in theaters like a year earlier. 

Users who are viewing this thread