What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Taboo - Tom Hardy/Ridley Scott Production (FX 1/10/17) (1 Viewer)

In. Looks good. Hardy has been great in these type of roles so far.
Like The Revenant.

Hardy has great range, period. Also great in Bronson, Inception, Dark Knight Rises and Mad Max: Fury Road, among others. Definitely one of my favorite actors working today. At one time I thought he was underrated/up and coming, but it seems he has arrived for a few years now and is one of the most in demand A-list actors. Cool that Ridley Scott has some level of involvement, too.  

Filmography

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hardy

Hardy is brilliant in Legend. About two twin brother gangsters in London. Check it out. 
I admire well executed films where one actor plays identical twins with nuanced character differences (Cronenberg's Dead Ringers with Jeremy Irons and Adaptation with Nicolas Cage come to mind, but no doubt there are others).   

first time i saw the guy was in Lawless. had never heard of him before. he was just amazing. i'm in for this series.

Also with Jonathan Pryce (just watched Glengarry again a few nights ago).  And Hardy's father 'Chips' is co-creator?

Last edited by a moderator:
Review in the link. Minor "spoilers" I guess you could say.

Like “Peaky Blinders,” “Taboo” is not easy watching. It requires intense focus to keep track of historical references, multiple characters and the complex storylines of his scheming enemies (or are they the good guys?). Subplots include characters navigating the British government’s strained relations with America in the War of 1812, complicated big business schemes that make Goldman Sachs look like rank amateurs and heartbreaking takes on the shipping trades most shameful line of business: the slave trade.

But it’s worth the effort. Like Clive Owen as Dr. John Thackery  in “The Knick,” a similarly bleak but smart period drama about New York, Hardy gives us such a magnetic central character with Delaney that he alone could carry the drama. But the theme here of big business versus individual morality, and the idea that sometimes the most eccentric among us are not crazy  — they just know more —  make “Taboo” one of the more unique and thoughtful offerings of the new year.  
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-tom-hardy-taboo-review-20170110-story.html

Watched a little. Had a hard time hearing or understanding Hardy. But I was pretty tired. It does look great and the cast is amazing. Looking forward to giving it more attention.

Has promise. Was troubled by the fashionably gratuitous bleak fu - if it's that offal in London, howzit gonna be when they get to the Land of the Savages - but the story seems solidly grounded and how his BiL gets it is sumn to look fwd to.

Watched a little. Had a hard time hearing or understanding Hardy. But I was pretty tired. It does look great and the cast is amazing. Looking forward to giving it more attention.
Glad it wasn't just me.  Hardy combined with all the accents forced me to turn the CC on.  I assume I'll get used to the accents at least

Users who are viewing this thread