What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dontari Poe Points (1 Viewer)

Poe should get the points for a passing TD, and the yardage.

I've seen a few IDP league setups where offensive players only get offensive points, and defensive players only get defensive points, though.  I've never understood why anybody would set things up that way, but I guess someone somewhere prefers it.

Short answer:  depends on how your league's scoring is set up.

I've seen a few IDP league setups where offensive players only get offensive points, and defensive players only get defensive points, though.
We've been that way for 30 years.  We have no scoring problems or complaints. I would advise that to all IDP leagues.

If you ever want to start a player at the offensive side (like Poe at RB or QB) all you have to do is ask the Commish to make him eligible. And you can start him both ways and get the appropriate points.

We've been that way for 30 years.  We have no scoring problems or complaints. I would advise that to all IDP leagues.

If you ever want to start a player at the offensive side (like Poe at RB or QB) all you have to do is ask the Commish to make him eligible. And you can start him both ways and get the appropriate points.
What's the advantage?  Seems brutal to watch your guy score a TD and not get credit because of a rule that adds no fun.

I wasn't talking about doing something insane like starting Poe at QB.

But what is the rationale for not letting fantasy-player Poe get a passing TD, when real-life Poe in fact did?  Or for that matter, why shouldn't offensive players get tackle credit for tackling after an INT?  It can certainly be a game-changing play.  (I can think of one memorable such tackle in a Colts/Steelers playoff game that likely earned Pittsburgh one of it's Super Bowls...would be a shame for that not to have counted as a fantasy point...)

Defensive players get credit for ST tackles while offensive players do not. What is the point of playing a game of statistics if the statistics scored are inconsistent?

I agree with most of the sentiments here.  Our scoring is set up that all players are eligible for points of any kind.  If the NFL player does the action the fantasy player gets the credit.  I don't see why it would be any other way. 

The only exception being with team Defense/Special Teams when a kick returner doesn't get the credit for the return TD because the player of the "D/ST" gets the points.  Handing out double points isn't right.

Are there leagues that have D/ST and still use IDP like Poe?

I guess you can find everything somewhere, but that seems odd...

I don't understand the point of the 1 IDP.  With that few in play they are completely useless and would become the last round pick every draft.  No strategy or added benefit. 
I agree. I joined the league a few years ago when my buddy was in a bind. It is what it is.

I agree. I joined the league a few years ago when my buddy was in a bind. It is what it is.
I understand.  Any chance you can slowly talk them into adding a 2nd, then 3rd, etc IDP in future years and eventually doing away with the team defense.  It is really the best way to go.

Having IDP and D/ST makes me think of the D/ST as a Defensive Coordinator. It would be fun to have full IDP and have a spot for DC and OC whose points depend solely on how many points a team scores against the DC and how many points the OC's team scores.

Only issue would be head coaches who call plays for their offense or defense like Mike Zimmer, Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy...

ChicagoArch said:
Having IDP and D/ST makes me think of the D/ST as a Defensive Coordinator. It would be fun to have full IDP and have a spot for DC and OC whose points depend solely on how many points a team scores against the DC and how many points the OC's team scores.

Only issue would be head coaches who call plays for their offense or defense like Mike Zimmer, Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy...
I would think you wouldn't draft the specific person.  You would just draft the "Vikings Defensive Coordinator".  Although that seems to much like just the team defense because many times that is tied to points scored against anyway. 

I have heard of leagues where you draft a head coach and get points for wins.  Seems like a better idea then how it would actually work in practice.

Users who are viewing this thread