What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

what to do with (relatively) decent car with blown engine? (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
so this is (was) my wife's car: 2010 Buick Enclave, 165k miles.  A few weeks ago she was having trouble getting it started, and after she did, it lost almost all power, along with making a "clicking" noise from the engine.  We had it towed to a mechanic (who we trust).  He drained the oil and observed metal shavings in the oil.  I'm assuming large shavings , not just metal dust.

He estimates 10-15 hours in labor just to diagnose, which would be over a grand right there.  

replacing the engine is likely to cost $5k.  The car is worth between $6k and $8k (assuming it were running).  Not really worth putting in $5k for a car worth $8k at the most, is there?

Can you wheel it off a cliff somewhere and collect the insurance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you wheel it off a cliff somewhere and collect the insurance?
unfortunately, my insurance was involved in towing it to mechanics (I have a towing rider as part of my auto-insurance).  It would be awfully suspicious for them to see me towing it to the mechanics and then a few days later, see that it was involved in a weird crash (that no one got hurt in).

unfortunately, my insurance was involved in towing it to mechanics (I have a towing rider as part of my auto-insurance).  It would be awfully suspicious for them to see me towing it to the mechanics and then a few days later, see that it was involved in a weird crash (that no one got hurt in).
It's not what they think.

Its what they can prove.

that's what I'm thinking, just burns me up that this much value just disappeared.  Car was worth maybe $7k last week, now i'm hoping for $500 as a tax write-off.
I hear ya.  Sounds like it's past the point of no return IMO.

By an engine from a junk yard and pay someone a grand to put it in.   Guessing on the high end it would cost you 2 grand total. 

Paint it in Alabama colors and trailer it to the bowl gane & charge $20 a whack with a baseball bat.  $50 with a sledge hammer.

By an engine from a junk yard and pay someone a grand to put it in.   Guessing on the high end it would cost you 2 grand total. 
This.  Used engine with less miles if you want to keep driving it or go cheap-o and just get one that runs put in it and then sell it/trade it in...and then get a jeep so you can bring that thread back to the first page.

I blew up my engine in a 1997 Dodge Avenger like 4 years ago.  Mechanic said he could get a used engine for about $2500, but there might be some additional fixes needed when it was installed.  Body was pretty good, interior was in great condition.  But because of the age, my blue book was about $2,000.  Ended up just selling it to one of the mechanics at the shop for $250.  I assume he dropped it to the ground, put crazy rims on it and an airplane spoiler on the trunk.

Obvious difference is that my car had a solid argument for being worth less than what I would have sunk into it to fix it.  Some days I wish I had replaced the engine so I could just drive it in the winter.

This.  Used engine with less miles if you want to keep driving it or go cheap-o and just get one that runs put in it and then sell it/trade it in...and then get a jeep so you can bring that thread back to the first page.
these guys have engines ranging $2.5k-$3.5k (plus shipping).  Assuming I could find one locally, I'd still be looking at a grand or so for installation, right?  (not something I have the time, tools, or talent to do myself).

so, we are in the $3.5k-$5.5k range to repair, and the result would be with an engine with some miles on it.

advertise it on craigslist for best offer or like $1000-$1500. Someone that has the means to put an engine in it (relatively) cheaply may buy it.

if you don't get any hits, then look into donating it.

these guys have engines ranging $2.5k-$3.5k (plus shipping).  Assuming I could find one locally, I'd still be looking at a grand or so for installation, right?  (not something I have the time, tools, or talent to do myself).

so, we are in the $3.5k-$5.5k range to repair, and the result would be with an engine with some miles on it.
Locally I think you could get an engine for under 1k if they have one.   How many people in your area are going to be looking for a 2010 Buick Enclave engine?

They probably have 300 in the car if not less.   It is all profit to them.   You just have to negotiate.  

I had a 540i blow an engine with 110K miles on it. I was so fed up with the cost of repairing BMW's that I let the tow truck guy have it. Have also donated cars before

I would make sure it is a blown engine before you jump too far.  Have not seen very many engine problems with them other that timing chain issues and they can leave metal also.  If it does need an engine you are looking at approx 6K installed.  

How is the rest of the vehicle as far as shape wise?  Is the vehicle paid for?  Have you kept up maintenance on the vehicle?  It might suck sticking as much into the vehicle as it is worth, but you can probably get another 150K out of it if you put an engine in it. Biggest question would be what kind of shape the vehicle is in general and if you want to drive it another 3-4 years after putting the engine in it to get your moneys worth.

Can't you just get some idiot with a crap box to play in to you and split the insurance money?

why pay if you don't have to?

I had a 540i blow an engine with 110K miles on it. I was so fed up with the cost of repairing BMW's that I let the tow truck guy have it. Have also donated cars before
I've been shopping for a used car (8-10 years old, less than 100K miles on it). There are a lot of BMWs out there with very tempting prices, but every time I see a post like yours I have to slap myself back to reality and go back to the Honda/Toyota section.

so this is (was) my wife's car: 2010 Buick Enclave, 165k miles.  A few weeks ago she was having trouble getting it started, and after she did, it lost almost all power, along with making a "clicking" noise from the engine.  We had it towed to a mechanic (who we trust).  He drained the oil and observed metal shavings in the oil.  I'm assuming large shavings , not just metal dust.

He estimates 10-15 hours in labor just to diagnose, which would be over a grand right there.  

replacing the engine is likely to cost $5k.  The car is worth between $6k and $8k (assuming it were running).  Not really worth putting in $5k for a car worth $8k at the most, is there?
You know, I'm not a doctor, but are you sure the engine is toast?  Metal shavings from the engine are not all that uncommon.  Now, as you point out, large chunks of metal are uncommon.  Have you tried flushing the engine and putting in some good synthetic oil and seeing if you can get it started?  Perhaps the engine not starting and the metal shavings in the oil are unrelated.  

I know you trust the guy that looked it over, but it may very well be worth getting a second opinion.  I might even suggest going to the dealer and having them take a look.  Maybe they'll confirm everything, but for whatever that costs ($75-$100) at least you can rule out a misdiagnoses. 

Also, @SWC is a smart car guy and perhaps will chime in.

You know, I'm not a doctor, but are you sure the engine is toast?  Metal shavings from the engine are not all that uncommon.  Now, as you point out, large chunks of metal are uncommon.  Have you tried flushing the engine and putting in some good synthetic oil and seeing if you can get it started?  Perhaps the engine not starting and the metal shavings in the oil are unrelated.  

I know you trust the guy that looked it over, but it may very well be worth getting a second opinion.  I might even suggest going to the dealer and having them take a look.  Maybe they'll confirm everything, but for whatever that costs ($75-$100) at least you can rule out a misdiagnoses. 

yeah, I was thinking that last night.  Not sure how to get the car to the dealer though.  too heavy to rent a tow-dolly from U-haul, not sure if I want to spring for towing across town for what is likely a lost cause.

yeah, I was thinking that last night.  Not sure how to get the car to the dealer though.  too heavy to rent a tow-dolly from U-haul, not sure if I want to spring for towing across town for what is likely a lost cause.
no roadside assistance on insurance policy or AAA membership?

nah, he would just tell you to take the car to the bank  :confused:

I had the car towed to a local Chevy dealer/service center for a second opinion.  Best case: timing chain and gears ~$2800.  Worst case: engine replacement, ~$6800.  This is dealer pricing.

Cost for full diagnosis: $560.  If it is a timing chain related issue, that $560 can apply to the repair.

I'd also add that we have already purchased a replacement car - this decision is purely financial and needs to be rational.  If I were to fix it, it would be to maximize value so I can sell it.

Let's assume I can sell the car for $6k.

Here's the gamble: bet $560.  if I win, I get my money back plus $3200 ($6k-$2800).  If I loose, I'm out the initial bet.  No idea what the probabilities are.  Is this a bet worth taking?

I have a co-worker nobody would miss.

I had the car towed to a local Chevy dealer/service center for a second opinion.  Best case: timing chain and gears ~$2800.  Worst case: engine replacement, ~$6800.  This is dealer pricing.

Cost for full diagnosis: $560.  If it is a timing chain related issue, that $560 can apply to the repair.

I'd also add that we have already purchased a replacement car - this decision is purely financial and needs to be rational.  If I were to fix it, it would be to maximize value so I can sell it.

Here's the gamble: bet $560.  if I win, I get my money back plus $3200 ($6k-$2800).  If I loose, I'm out the initial bet.  No idea what the probabilities are.  Is this a bet worth taking?
Good bet, worth taking IMO.

I mean, not a 7 to 1 worthy bet, but still.

Go around to local highschools see if they have auto shop there and want to work on your car.  I don't know if they still do this but just a suggestion.  

One thing to look into if you are going to make the bet is if the dealer is willing to put in a used engine if it needs one.  Used engines are hard to find for the Enclaves, but they are getting a little easier to get a hold of.  If you were going to keep the vehicle I wouldn't go that route because the used 3.6 engines are priced like they are rare and you can get a reman for not a whole lot more, but if you are looking to turn and burn in a worst case scenario it would help you make a little bit of money.

One thing to look into if you are going to make the bet is if the dealer is willing to put in a used engine if it needs one.  Used engines are hard to find for the Enclaves, but they are getting a little easier to get a hold of.  If you were going to keep the vehicle I wouldn't go that route because the used 3.6 engines are priced like they are rare and you can get a reman for not a whole lot more, but if you are looking to turn and burn in a worst case scenario it would help you make a little bit of money.
It sounds like you know your stuff; I do appreciate the feedback.

I'm leaning towards just being done with it, dumping it, and moving on.  If I was in Vegas playing roulette where I know the odds, I probably wouldn't place that bet, even with (nearly) 50/50 odds. I guess I'm risk-averse by nature.

I really wish I could get the dealer to do one simple thing to get a proper diagnosis - pull one cover or something.  The problem should be obvious, but I guess the problem is, what if it's not obvious?  If you pull one cover and don't see the issue, does that mean it's something else, or does it mean you just can't see it?

Hey molecule I'm having the same problem with my truck making the clicking sound

how long was yours doing it?
the same time it started, it lost nearly all power, so it wasn't an on-going issue.  Literally just happened one day.  The sound is bad - not a faint clicking sound, you can literally hear something knocking around in the engine.

Putting more than 5k into a car  with a blown engine with 165k miles is like taking your girlfriend back after she cheated on you. 

Things will never be the same and you'll always be suspicious when she we blow again

the same time it started, it lost nearly all power, so it wasn't an on-going issue.  Literally just happened one day.  The sound is bad - not a faint clicking sound, you can literally hear something knocking around in the engine.
Mine has been doing that for months and I bought it used so it was probably doing that for some time

It sounds like you know your stuff; I do appreciate the feedback.

I'm leaning towards just being done with it, dumping it, and moving on.  If I was in Vegas playing roulette where I know the odds, I probably wouldn't place that bet, even with (nearly) 50/50 odds. I guess I'm risk-averse by nature.

I really wish I could get the dealer to do one simple thing to get a proper diagnosis - pull one cover or something.  The problem should be obvious, but I guess the problem is, what if it's not obvious?  If you pull one cover and don't see the issue, does that mean it's something else, or does it mean you just can't see it?
The biggest problem is you can't pull the timing cover off without taking the engine and transmission out of the vehicle, hence the high $ to diagnose it.  It wasn't one of GMs better ideas, that is for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread