JohnnyU

Patriots looking for a 1st and 4th for Garoppolo

1,030 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

Has the "same agent" connection ever meant anything? 

No, probably not. 

47 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

If it means they can't bring back a key guy, then sure, it wouldnt make sense for them to do that. 

But will it?  Sounds like they are pretty well under the cap.  How much cap room did they have when last season started?

I think they were 8m under the cap to start 2015/16. Left them room to bring in mid-season acquisitions (Keshawn Martin, Akeem Hicks, M.Floyd).

They have a ton of free agents this year ... not to mention non-free agents that need to get paid (Gronk).

They won't pony up 10m for a backup QB when they can pay (or upgrade) a starter. Could always use an upgrade on OL. 

The funny thing is, the perception is that they have a zillion free agents. They are going to end up with the same player replenishment / turnover rate as ever other year . . . 30-35%. They always have a lot of free agents, only this year a few of them played a bigger role than in other years.

8 hours ago, lod001 said:

:lmao: you are making no sense. That has nothing to do with your original, false statement. I took you to school with your 'I've never seen team with just one HOF caliber player win the SB'. I give you Drew Brees and you go off on a  tangent talking about an INT and an onside kick. Fact is there may be another HOF player on the 2009 Saints as well probably HOF players on the 2017 Pats (more so on their D). It's way to early to say there isn't. Your statement was a weak attempt to proclaim Brady a one man show and the only reason they won. Really weak actually.

C'mon.  Get serious.  I said the NFL is the consummate team game.  No one-man-show can win because every passer needs a receiver.  Every offense needs a defense.  Every on-sides kick need a recoverer.  I said nothing about "one HOF caliber player".  Please show me how it's not a team game.

.I hear his mom slept with Hue Jackson back in high school so Cleveland should have the inside track............

Per former Patriot and current broadcaster Scott Zolack, CLE said to be offering picks 12 and 33 for Garoppolo. 

Link

Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman wrote Wednesday three NFL executives “believe some team is going to make the New England Patriots an offer for Jimmy Garoppolo they cannot refuse.”

From Freeman’s “10-Point Stance” column:

“I want to be clear about what I’m being told: (The executives) believe several teams are preparing to make blockbuster offers for Garoppolo. I’m not saying it will happen. I’m saying this is the belief of some around football. They think a draft shakeup is coming and that it will involve Garoppolo.

“The increasingly popular view among some in the league is that Garoppolo can transform a franchise almost overnight and is worth a first-round pick.

“There’s a desperation that’s sweeping the league when it comes to finding a quarterback, greater than I’ve seen in a long time. One front-office executive called it the Dak Prescott Phenomenon.”

20 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Per former Patriot and current broadcaster Scott Zolack, CLE said to be offering picks 12 and 33 for Garoppolo. 

I will bet you any amount of money that isnt true.

Edited by ghostguy123
1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Why would guys float this stuff out there and risk their reputations and jobs by putting out information with no basis in fact or reality?

What do they get from putting info like this out there? Zolak isn't a writer, so he can't even be accused of writing articles for click bait. 

6 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Why would guys float this stuff out there and risk their reputations and jobs by putting out information with no basis in fact or reality?

What do they get from putting info like this out there? Zolak isn't a writer, so he can't even be accused of writing articles for click bait. 

Really?

15 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

This browns front office was incapable of correctly evaluating wentz. People look at his work in his rookie year and are flummoxed at what the browns could possibly have seen to scare them off.  Wentz is really talented. So its confirmed the browns brass are not smart.  This  trade makes sense for that reason. I wouldnt do that trade, id take kizer first overall.  And the browns are dumb for not taking kiser first overall. 

22 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Really?

If the information is erroneous or fabricated propaganda, Zolak will look like an idiot if JG gets traded for a late second. 

If other teams might have thought about trading for Garoppolo but wouldn't pony up this much, them he is driving away potential trade partners. 

I still think some people are not fully getting on board with the fact that there are several teams out there who want JG and will pony up a lot to get him. He may not be worth it, but there appears to be teams really interested in him. 

8 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

If the information is erroneous or fabricated propaganda, Zolak will look like an idiot if JG gets traded for a late second. 

If other teams might have thought about trading for Garoppolo but wouldn't pony up this much, them he is driving away potential trade partners. 

I still think some people are not fully getting on board with the fact that there are several teams out there who want JG and will pony up a lot to get him. He may not be worth it, but there appears to be teams really interested in him. 

Because he is pushing propaganda to the teams benefit. He doesn't care what it looks like (neither does Curran) as long as it keeps him in good graces and allows him to keep access and stay employed as he cheers on "his" team. He's been a Patriot his entire career.

2 people like this

9 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Outside of people from NE, I doubt many want to get on board with the idea that the Pats could get a motherload.

Cleveland's 12 and 33 would probably end up being 7 picks down the road.

The rich get richer.

Zolak said Cleveland's #12 pick and a second . . . Cleveland has the #33 and #52 picks in the second, so he may mean the later second round pick.

1 minute ago, Anarchy99 said:

Zolak said Cleveland's #12 pick and a second . . . Cleveland has the #33 and #52 picks in the second, so he may mean the later second round pick.

No.  Will still bet you anything.

53 minutes ago, Riversco said:

And the browns are dumb for not taking kiser first overall. 

The Browns have made mistakes, but taking Garett 1.01 won't be one of them. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Do you not pay attention to what goes on out there now? 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

According to who?  Sources?  It's the Pats who are leaking all if thus Crap. 

Edited by flapgreen

2 hours ago, FUBAR said:

The Browns have made mistakes, but taking Garett 1.01 won't be one of them. 

I wouldn't spend 1.01 on a kid that displays immaturity on twitter.  But that's me.

14 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

According to who?  Sources?  It's the Pats who are leaking all if thus Crap. 

Pats fans are pretty funny. Zolak has 0 connections to Cleveland and their new management, but he's got the scoop on what they are offering. That is more believable than him being a lackey for NE and is floating news to help drive up a market for JG to get favors since he covers NE. So funny. I have no clue how well JG will do somewhere else and if/what they'll receive in trade, but seriously, making it seem like sports reporters are afraid of being wrong over being first/getting noticed. LOL, sure, they have lots of integrity.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Riversco said:

I wouldn't spend 1.01 on a kid that displays immaturity on twitter.  But that's me.

If you mean his plea to Dallas, yeah that's just you.  If it's something else I missed it. 

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Probably because they don't perceive the risk you are referencing.  I can't recall a single writer (maybe Dan Rather?) that lost a job over reporting unsubstantiated rumors that turned out to be false.  I doubt most people a month from now would remember who predicted which crazy offseason trades that never happened, so reputation isn't likely to be a factor outside of the handful of top, best-known names in the business,

1 hour ago, Arodin said:

Probably because they don't perceive the risk you are referencing.  I can't recall a single writer (maybe Dan Rather?) that lost a job over reporting unsubstantiated rumors that turned out to be false.  I doubt most people a month from now would remember who predicted which crazy offseason trades that never happened, so reputation isn't likely to be a factor outside of the handful of top, best-known names in the business,

Right.  These guys are in the entertainment business.  These types of stories get people talking more about their team.  With no real risk, why wouldn't you speculate?  Maybe he'll end up being right and look like a genius "in the know", if he's wrong nobody will really care. 

Chris Mortensen still has his job:

still present in the story and not removed: “The investigation found the footballs were inflated 2 pounds per square inch below what’s required by NFL regulations ..." 

But as it turns out, Mortensen’s report was very wrong. The Wells Report made clear that either one or zero balls were under inflated by two pounds, not 11. Mortensen reported false information that went unchallenged and uncorrected for months, that significantly affected public perception of the scandal as well as how ferociously the NFL decided to investigate and eventually mete out punishment.

Link: http://deadspin.com/chris-mortensen-unsatisfyingly-explains-his-erroneous-p-1721919476?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Oh for Pete's sake.  Now evidence has to be provided to show sportswriters regularly float unsubstantiated balloons for teams and face no consequences?  Seriously?  Did someone just arrive here from another universe?

March 9 can't come soon enough.

13 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

I doubt he knows anything.

12 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

If the information is erroneous or fabricated propaganda, Zolak will look like an idiot if JG gets traded for a late second

So? People will move on. Have you ever listened to sports radio before?

Edited by Dr. Octopus

12 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

I've been mostly on your side, but you are reading waaaaaayyyyyy more into this than you should. "Homers" on the radio say plenty of dumb stuff. If you listened to Greg Buttle on ESPN radio talking about the Jets, you'd be surprised to learn that they ever lost a game.