What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mitch Trubisky, BUF (5 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Mitchell Trubisky (hip) was a full participant for Wednesday's practice.

He's expected to start against the Giants barring any setbacks. Trubisky told media his hip feels "day and night" better after resting over the past 48 hours. New York struggles in creating pressure and have permitted the ninth-most fantasy points per game (24.3) to opposing signal-callers, but Trubisky obviously can't be trusted in season-long leagues for the rest of the year. He'll likely have a short leash ahead of Chicago's nationally televised Thanksgiving matchup against the Lions.

SOURCE: Adam Jahns on Twitter

Nov 20, 2019, 3:22 PM ET

Mitchell Trubisky completed 23-of-31 passes for 244 yards, three touchdowns and an interception in the Bears' 31-24, Week 14 win over the Cowboys, adding nine runs for 64 additional yards and a touchdown.

Coming off a huge day vs. the Lions' pathetic defense, Trubisky had a big night against a much-better unit, though the Cowboys seemingly forgot how to tackle. Trubisky was also lucky to escape with only one interception, as his second and third touchdown drives could have been derailed by awful passes thrown in the vicinity of Cowboys defenders. Nevertheless, Trubisky was making tight-window throws all evening, and running like he did early in 2018. The rushing yards were the second most of his career. Even though he was far from perfect, Trubisky has at least resumed mixing the good with the bad. His legs will be a stretch-run wild card. It's still difficult to recommend Trubisky as a QB2 for next week's Green Bay road trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
So now all the announcers and reporters on Get Up are saying how Mitch Trubisky has taken this offense to a new level.... 

Just last week he was the 31st ranked QB... and the worst in football.

Make up your minds. 

i'm guessing Mitch was on most people's bench, if not on the wire, for this one. i dropped him a few weeks ago, picked him up due to a lack of options, and he sat on my bench.

Borrowing this from the Bears thread, Mitch can be a great QB in the right system. But he's not good enough to overcome situations he's uncomfortable with. It felt like Nagy wanted to be a running team around D Mont and that, i assume, changed his blocking scheme. That o-line, like Mitch, I think couldn't get there, because both are not upper tier in the league imo. for this game it gelled well, largely because Detroit sucks, but i hope they move forward with this kind of game planning around Mitch.

Mitchell Trubisky completed 29-of-53 passes for 349 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in the Bears' 21-13, Week 15 loss to the Packers.

He added 29 rushing yards on four attempts. The 349 yards were a new season high for Trubisky, but the 53 attempts were also his second most of the year. One interception was on a Hail Mary at the end of the first half, but the second was thrown right to Dean Lowry at the line of scrimmage. His touchdown was a wide-open hookup with Anthony Miller. Trubisky has been better of late but will be nothing more than a low-end QB2 next week at home against the Chiefs.

Mitchell Trubisky completed 18-of-34 passes for 157 yards in Week 16 against the Chiefs.

It's another step in the wrong direction for Trubisky, who showed some signs of life in Week 15. Chicago's offense was completely lifeless this week, with Trubisky settling for checkdowns and averaging a pathetic 4.6 YPA. Trubisky badly overthrew Allen Robinson on what would have been a 40-plus yard touchdown in the first half. It was the closest he came to making a big play. Trubisky leads the NFL with a sub-80 passer rating in five of his 14 starts. He won't be more than a low-end QB2 for a Week 17 matchup with the Vikings.

Bears GM Ryan Pace said the plan is for Mitchell Trubisky to be their starting quarterback next season.

Having said that, Pace skirted his follow-up question on Trubisky's fifth-year option before subtlety mentioning the 25-year-old may have to undergo left shoulder surgery on his non-throwing one this offseason. The former No. 2 overall pick has been nothing short of a bust three years out of North Carolina, declining across the board in '19 despite appearing in a career-high 15 games. Whether Pace will audibly state it or not, 2020 is truly Trubisky's last shot at redemption before the team inevitably declines his fifth-year club option worth more than $24 million.

SOURCE: Brad Biggs on Twitter

Dec 31, 2019, 10:37 AM ET

Mitchell Trubisky had surgery to repair a partially torn labrum in his shoulder.

The surgery took place earlier this month and was to his non-throwing shoulder. This may limit how much Trubisky can do at OTAs but he should be 100 percent for training camp. Trubisky declined across the board in 2019 and is entering a make-or-break season.

SOURCE: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

Jan 29, 2020, 12:23 PM ET

If most of the old guard doesn't retire and Big Ben comes back healthy, there seems like almost no chance Trubisky is the starter next year.  The only way it happens is if the Bears leadership decides to go down with the Trubisky ship right in the face of better available options, which is possible I guess.

I think this because the Bears are going to have outstanding leverage with free agent QBs this offseason.  The offseason is likely to leave several QBs available in FA who all want a starting role.  The Bears are going to end up sitting there with Mitch slotted in as there starter staring at more than two of Cam Newton, Teddy Bridgewater, Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston available.  We are probably looking at 30 to 45 starting caliber QBs after this QB class comes in with Burrow, Tua, Herbert (these 3 definitely will get a shot) along with Eason, Love, Fromm, Hurts (1 or 2 at least might get 1st round draft capital).

Lets rank/tier them:

Elite TIer (5): Mahomes, Jackson, Wilson, Watson, Prescott

Great Tier (4): Rodgers, Wentz, Ryan, Stafford

Declining Elite Tier (5) : Brady, Rivers, Big Ben, Brees, Newton

Good Tier (3): Cousins, Goff, Garrapolo

Unproven Good Tier (5): Murray, Darnold, Mayfield, Jones, Allen

Average Tier (5): Carr, Tannehill, Dalton, Bridgewater, Winston

Still Unproven Tier (6): Haskins, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Minshew, Lock

-------------- STARTER REPLACEMENT LINE (33 QBs above this) ---------------------

Still Better than Mitch Tier (4): Foles, Brissett, Mariota, Mullens

Lesser Rookie Tier (4): Love, Eason, Fromm, Hurts

Maybe still better than Mitch Tier (3):  Flacco, Fitztrajic, Rosen

Long shot Tier (2):  Alex Smith, Taysom Hill

--------------- MITCH LINE (46 QBs above this) -----------------------------

Somehow still starter Tier: Mitch Trubisky

You can dispute the tiers, but how many of these players can you argue Mitch is better than?

Even if all of the players that might retire do in fact retire, there is no way Mitch should be starting in 2020.  At least one of these QBs is going to be available for less than the normal amount of money in order to get a shot at showcasing themselves in a starting role for a big deal the following year.

I think it was somewhat generous of me to not list Keenum, Beathard, and Tyrod ahead of Mitch as well.

Bears GM Ryan Pace reaffirmed Mitchell Trubisky will open as the team's starter in 2020.

He made it clear the organization would still look at quarterbacks in both free agency and the draft to drive "competition." The front office is also expected to make a final decision on Trubisky's fifth-year option in May. The 25-year-old underwent shoulder surgery to his non-throwing arm in January but is expected to turn around and be cleared for the team's offseason program. With no other quarterbacks currently under contract, it's likely the Bears are playing the long game and eyeing a developmental piece that could potentially replace Trubisky both in-season and in the coming years if he stumbles out the gates.

SOURCE: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 10:12 AM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the "strong sense" at the Combine is that the Bears will add a veteran to "push" Mitchell Trubisky.

That sentiment has been pervasive all offseason. It won't be difficult to do in one of the deepest quarterback markets of all time. Teddy Bridgewater and Marcus Mariota might be the two most realistic targets, while Andy Dalton is available via trade. Further down the board is Case Keenum. Ryan Tannehill and Jameis Winston are likely to land starting jobs, making them longer shots.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Feb 27, 2020, 4:45 PM ET

I didn't read the article but it bugs me from the standpoint of the Bears signing 3 FAs because of their failure to draft players at those positions.  (Mitch, Floyd and Shaheen). That is 2 high firsts and a 2nd. I am glad they are moving on (Not necessarily from Mitch) but they need to start hitting on their top draft choices when they aren't traded away. I know this is a Mitch thread so I won't discuss the other moves but the title of the article rubs me the wrong way but I'll get over it.

I still hope to be proven wrong about Mitch LOL. I heard one of the "experts" on ESPN say if you watch his highlight film you would think he was as good as any of the top QBs in football because he can make all the throws and is loaded with talent. What they neglected to mention is that he makes those throws when the team is down by double digits against soft defenses. Maybe he did have issues with his non-throwing shoulder and the play calling.  There was a short period last year where he looked competent but he looked awful again when the competition got tougher.  

I'm not sure Foles is an upgrade. Nor am I am convinced that bringing him on board is done for that reason alone. 

No more partying at the MoonTower for Mitchie.

It's over.
I'm not so sure. Everything I'm hearing about Foles sounds like what I heard last year. Reuniting with Defillipo, in Philly system, etc,etc. Near as I can tell he's reunited with Defillipo again and only major difference is he's back with Nagy but but he only spent one year with Nagy 4 years ago and barely played.

Foles stunk and is just not such an upgrade I don't think Trubisky can prevail in time over him. And from I understand about Foles he should actually help both push and mentor Trubisky.

I'm not so sure. Everything I'm hearing about Foles sounds like what I heard last year. Reuniting with Defillipo, in Philly system, etc,etc. Near as I can tell he's reunited with Defillipo again and only major difference is he's back with Nagy but but he only spent one year with Nagy 4 years ago and barely played.

Foles stunk and is just not such an upgrade I don't think Trubisky can prevail in time over him. And from I understand about Foles he should actually help both push and mentor Trubisky.
Foles is better imo, but leaving Foles aside I think it's over.  Maybe Trubisky starts some games this year but the writing is on the wall.

Foles is better imo, but leaving Foles aside I think it's over.  Maybe Trubisky starts some games this year but the writing is on the wall.
Just from a strict accuracy standpoint Foles is light years better. I was one of the bigger Mitch apologists until finally waking up around week 4 last year and realizing he’s just too inaccurate.

NFL Newtork's Tom Pelissero reports the Bears declined the fifth-year option on QB Mitchell Trubisky for 2021.

Pelissero added, "The team has liked Trubisky’s attitude since the Nick Foles trade and it’ll be an open competition." Still, Foles remains the heavy favorite to be under center once Week 1 comes around. Trubisky regressed across the board in 2019 while also suddenly declining to utilize his actually-good rushing ability. Perhaps it's a tad too early to fully give up on the No. 2 overall pick of the 2017 draft, but Trubisky's days as a starting QB could realistically already be over.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

May 2, 2020, 3:43 PM ET

It is always fun to read threads like this from the beginning with years of hindsight to see the accuracy of leaked team interest, scouting reports, and board opinion are, especially from pre-draft until the draft.

MITCHELL TRUBISKY QB, CHICAGO BEARS

Bears coach Matt Nagy said both Nick Foles and Mitchell Trubisky will play with the starters during the preseason.

This of course assumes that teams are cleared to return for preseason games. Nagy doesn't normally look to play his starters in August, but Chicago's "open competition" under center will force the issue at hand this year. With past experience under QB coach John DeFilippo (Jaguars, Eagles), OC Bill Razor (Eagles), and Nagy (Eagles, Chiefs), Foles is fully expected to be in the lineup for the Bears' season opener in Detroit.

RELATED: 

Nick Foles

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

May 26, 2020, 10:51 AM ET

Speaking Friday, Mitchell Trubisky said he was "motivated" by the Bears' addition of Nick Foles. 

“It was kind of interesting to me," Trubisky said (Editor's note: Same.). "That’s the business that we’re in. I think I was kinda pissed off in a good way. I’ve been motivated ever since.” It's a boilerplate quote, but surely what the Bears were hoping for. Of course, the Bears could be past the point of wanting to motivate Trubisky and are simply moving on. Trubisky has made startlingly little progress through three years as starter. Foles is certainly a better player. Going on 26, Trubisky's only option left is surprising, dramatic improvement. 

RELATED: 

Nick Foles

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter 

Jun 12, 2020, 2:32 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread