What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mitch Trubisky, BUF (2 Viewers)

MITCHELL TRUBISKY QB, CHICAGO BEARS

Appearing on Good Morning Football, Bears WR Ted Ginn Jr. stated he believes Mitchell Trubisky will be the team's starter.

"Growing up in this league, you've always been taught to make the quarterbacks right," Ginn began. "We're going to fight as much as we can for him. We're going to fight as much as we can for anyone who gets back there." Ginn is now his sixth team in the NFL, but still presents dangerous vertical speed. The public certainly believes Nick Foles will quickly win the quarterback competition, but maybe those on Zoom meetings have a different perspective.

SOURCE: GMFB on Twitter

Jun 24, 2020, 10:47 AM ET

CSN Chicago's JJ Stankevitz expects Mitchell Trubisky to be the Bears' Week 1 starter over Nick Foles. 

Stankevitz had been projecting a Foles victory but now believes the truncated camp and preseason gives Trubisky the advantage. Stankevitz does expect Trubisky to be on a "very, very, very short leash." This makes sense in theory, but there still is not much in the way of Foles claiming starting duties. He knows coach Matt Nagy's system. There is also the fact that he's better, of course. Even in the relatively limited time the Bears have to conduct padded practices, it would not be surprising were Foles to clearly demonstrate his superiority. 

RELATED: 

Nick Foles

SOURCE: NBC Sports Chicago

Aug 13, 2020, 7:48 PM ET

Andy Dufresne said:
Well that's good because physically he can't play football at the NFL level.
LOL but in reality his physical skills are fine and it is the mental part of the game that he has been bad at. 

Saw the rotoworld blurb today making something of the fact that Nagy declined to say if Trubisky "became a better player" during the offseason. First, what a stupid question. Second, they apply their own narrative (i.e. he didn't) when Nagy quite reasonably said that they basically hadn't seen enough and couldn't give a fair opinion due to the COVID offseason. The blurb then asserts that "it's fair to say anything notable Trubisky managed to accomplish during the COVID offseason would have already been apparent to his coach". Oh well, okay then.

I know no one cares but I truly think Trubisky has essentially been bullied out of the league and the media pile on has been nothing short of embarrassing. The perception of him as this truly horrendous QB is out of touch with reality now. He had a predictably tough rookie year under Fox, a promising second year (truly, look it up) and a regression last year under Nagy (who is a terrible coach). He's probably lost all confidence now and who could blame him. His career is over - no one will ever give him another chance to start because their fans won't have it (because they've been told by the media that he's THE WORST QB EVER OMG).

It's funny too because all the Trubisky bashers (everyone) now think that Foles is just going to walk into the starting job because he's so much better than Trubisky (anyone would be better, even Bortles!). The irony being that Foles hasn't been anything that special for a large portion of his career and the media dumped on him at every stop until he had that Superbowl run. Now he's some kind of saviour.

I really think Trubisky could succeed in the league with a good coach and the support of a franchise. Unfortunately he doesn't have those things. You might say that's his fault for not being better, but I think the narrative has just overwhelmed him and now everyone is picking apart ever pass and decision in a way that isn't done with other young QBs. It's a shame and I feel bad for the guy.

I sometimes think Trubisky's biggest problem is that he will never be Mahomes or Watson.  2 QB the bears could have taken without trading up. He won't be able to change that unless he makes it to their level.  Most likely needs a change of scenery to truly move past that.  

I agree though that he has plenty of potential. 

Speaking Tuesday, Bears coach Matt Nagy declined to say if Mitchell Trubisky "became a better player" during the offseason.

In other words, Trubisky did not become a better player during the offseason. "We don't have enough right now," Nagy claimed on a Zoom call. "I wish I could tell you we had enough. But there's just not enough with where we're at. We need to see more. I can't give you a fair statement or opinion with that." It's fair to say anything notable Trubisky managed to accomplish during the COVID offseason would have already been apparent to his coach. Some in the Bears media believe the nonexistent offseason gives Trubisky a leg up on Nick Foles in the Bears' quarterback competition, but we would guess Foles remains the favorite. He knows Nagy's system, and the Bears are simply desperate for improvement under center. 

RELATED: 

Nick Foles

SOURCE: ESPN

Aug 18, 2020, 6:40 PM ET

Jail said:
I sometimes think Trubisky's biggest problem is that he will never be Mahomes or Watson.  2 QB the bears could have taken without trading up. He won't be able to change that unless he makes it to their level.  Most likely needs a change of scenery to truly move past that.  

I agree though that he has plenty of potential. 
Trubisky's biggest problem is he doesn't see the field at real game speeds. And you can't fix that, you can just try to mitigate it.

Trubisky's biggest problem is he doesn't see the field at real game speeds. And you can't fix that, you can just try to mitigate it.
Something that can get better with experience I think, but it takes a lot of time. Drew Brees at 38 isn't seeing the field the same way as when he was 26. Trubisky can learn learn schemes and how defenders react even if he can't change his processing speed. I doubt he gets the chance.

Something that can get better with experience I think, but it takes a lot of time. Drew Brees at 38 isn't seeing the field the same way as when he was 26. Trubisky can learn learn schemes and how defenders react even if he can't change his processing speed. I doubt he gets the chance.
Thats probably true. Still, its grating that we're hoping Trubisky MIGHT develop the bare minimum requirements to be an effective NFL passer. Much less all the nuances and insights that the great ones have.

This cracks me up.  He won't say he's a better player because he hasn't seen enough, but if he had said "oh yeah, for sure, he's improved" then they would accuse him of coachspeak.  Horrible article.
Bears have dug their own grave with this though- every camp we hear about how fantastic Trubisky looks and how he's moved on to the 300 level classes in the offense.

Saw the rotoworld blurb today making something of the fact that Nagy declined to say if Trubisky "became a better player" during the offseason. First, what a stupid question. Second, they apply their own narrative (i.e. he didn't) when Nagy quite reasonably said that they basically hadn't seen enough and couldn't give a fair opinion due to the COVID offseason. The blurb then asserts that "it's fair to say anything notable Trubisky managed to accomplish during the COVID offseason would have already been apparent to his coach". Oh well, okay then.

I know no one cares but I truly think Trubisky has essentially been bullied out of the league and the media pile on has been nothing short of embarrassing. The perception of him as this truly horrendous QB is out of touch with reality now. He had a predictably tough rookie year under Fox, a promising second year (truly, look it up) and a regression last year under Nagy (who is a terrible coach). He's probably lost all confidence now and who could blame him. His career is over - no one will ever give him another chance to start because their fans won't have it (because they've been told by the media that he's THE WORST QB EVER OMG).

It's funny too because all the Trubisky bashers (everyone) now think that Foles is just going to walk into the starting job because he's so much better than Trubisky (anyone would be better, even Bortles!). The irony being that Foles hasn't been anything that special for a large portion of his career and the media dumped on him at every stop until he had that Superbowl run. Now he's some kind of saviour.

I really think Trubisky could succeed in the league with a good coach and the support of a franchise. Unfortunately he doesn't have those things. You might say that's his fault for not being better, but I think the narrative has just overwhelmed him and now everyone is picking apart ever pass and decision in a way that isn't done with other young QBs. It's a shame and I feel bad for the guy.
I don't know what sport you've been watching but football people don't care about what the media is doing.  Remember Michael Vick?  Terrell Owens? Remember when Ray Lewis killed a guy and Big Ben raped a girl.

The media can say whatever it wants about football players but it doesn't matter if the player can play well and isn't an ##### to his teammates.  You and I don't decide who starts, and coaches don't care if we don't like their lineup, they're going to play the players they think will help them win the game, even if that means benching Eli Manning for Geno Smith despite everyone thinking Geno Smith is crap.

Here's the truth - mitch is a bad qb who doesn't process plays quickly, read defenses well, throws balls he never should think of throwing, and took a huge step back last year.  If your argument is that he can't handle the pressure of being a football player who's under constant scrutiny then that's another ding, because it's 2020 and every player has every one of their plays dissected somewhere online and he needs to toughen up.

I don't know what sport you've been watching but football people don't care about what the media is doing.  Remember Michael Vick?  Terrell Owens? Remember when Ray Lewis killed a guy and Big Ben raped a girl.

The media can say whatever it wants about football players but it doesn't matter if the player can play well and isn't an ##### to his teammates.  You and I don't decide who starts, and coaches don't care if we don't like their lineup, they're going to play the players they think will help them win the game, even if that means benching Eli Manning for Geno Smith despite everyone thinking Geno Smith is crap.

Here's the truth - mitch is a bad qb who doesn't process plays quickly, read defenses well, throws balls he never should think of throwing, and took a huge step back last year.  If your argument is that he can't handle the pressure of being a football player who's under constant scrutiny then that's another ding, because it's 2020 and every player has every one of their plays dissected somewhere online and he needs to toughen up.
I think that the pile on with Trubisky has impacted how the Bears view him in the sense that it's made his leash non-existent.

I'd say there's an instructive comparison to be made with Sam Darnold. You can make a pretty easy argument that Darnold has been worse than Trubisky so far in his time in the league. At the very least, he hasn't been obviously better. Yet he gets excuses made for him all the time - he's so young, it's the Jets, he has to deal with Adam Gase, he's shown improvement (even when I don't think he has). Yet, outside of a few mild grumblings, Darnold gets a free pass. Fans and the media aren't taking to him with pitchforks.

The reason for that is that Darnold was anointed in college - he's always been seen as a 'franchise QB' by the media and it's going to take a lot (probably another bust season or two) for that narrative to change. Until then, people will line up (as they do now) to make excuses for him. 

Trubisky was an inexperienced college QB coming into the league and has had to deal with Fox and Nagy (who is showing himself to be not much different to Gase honestly). He's in no better situation than Darnold and has performed at a similar level so far (I'd say he's been better actually), yet no one is coming to his defense saying he's a young QB who just needs to improve or take the next step or whatever. I just find that interesting. 

I think that the pile on with Trubisky has impacted how the Bears view him in the sense that it's made his leash non-existent.

I'd say there's an instructive comparison to be made with Sam Darnold. You can make a pretty easy argument that Darnold has been worse than Trubisky so far in his time in the league. At the very least, he hasn't been obviously better. Yet he gets excuses made for him all the time - he's so young, it's the Jets, he has to deal with Adam Gase, he's shown improvement (even when I don't think he has). Yet, outside of a few mild grumblings, Darnold gets a free pass. Fans and the media aren't taking to him with pitchforks.

The reason for that is that Darnold was anointed in college - he's always been seen as a 'franchise QB' by the media and it's going to take a lot (probably another bust season or two) for that narrative to change. Until then, people will line up (as they do now) to make excuses for him. 

Trubisky was an inexperienced college QB coming into the league and has had to deal with Fox and Nagy (who is showing himself to be not much different to Gase honestly). He's in no better situation than Darnold and has performed at a similar level so far (I'd say he's been better actually), yet no one is coming to his defense saying he's a young QB who just needs to improve or take the next step or whatever. I just find that interesting. 
Although I'm not a Darnold fan, we're talking about a guy who just turned 23 and has been playing in a much worse offense talent wise than Trubisky.  I would also argue that Darnold passes the eye test much better than Trubisky does. 

Watch Trubisky throw, he doesn't get his feet planted or use his hips, his motion is all wrong.  I've never seen a qb who wasn't in the qb/athlete mold who has such an... Off... Throwing motion. Every offseason you hear a fluff piece about a 2nd/3rd year player who fixes his footwork and throwing motion - that's what Trubisky needs to do. And please someone teach him to not throw across his body.

Oh lort   :doh:

really looking forward to another year in Dynasty of ARob having balls thrown a foot behind him turning what would be sure touchdowns into eat your gains.

Son of a…

itchell Trubisky QB | CHI

Bears' Mitchell Trubisky: Still in starting contention

(1 hr ago) Coach Matt Nagy confirmed Saturday neither Trubisky or Nick Foles will be listed as the starter before the team's Week 1 matchup against the Lions, Jeff Dickerson of ESPN.com reports.

It seems like a bit of gamesmanship on behalf of the Bears, as Matt Nagy did suggest the team will know who the starter is during that first week of practice ahead of Week 1. All indications from beat writers seem to lean towards Foles as the frontrunner, but only because of Trubisky's struggles throughout training camp. With two weeks left of the "preseason", it's possible the 2017 No. 3 overall pick could play his way into the starting lineup with a handful of solid practices.

Oh lort   :doh:

really looking forward to another year in Dynasty of ARob having balls thrown a foot behind him turning what would be sure touchdowns into eat your gains.

Son of a…
He put up 98-1147-7 in 2019 with Trubisky at QB for most of the season.  Assuming his ankle is okay, I think he'll be fine and get his no matter who the Bears start at QB.

He put up 98-1147-7 in 2019 with Trubisky at QB for most of the season.  Assuming his ankle is okay, I think he'll be fine and get his no matter who the Bears start at QB.
I’m aware. I also think he could have been much much better with a better QB. Trubisky threw the ball behind him so often it was a joke.  Foles should at least be able to hit him in stride.

as good as ARob was, they left a lot of yards on the field.

I expect more with improved play behind Center. 

Last edited by a moderator:
MITCHELL TRUBISKY QB, CHICAGO BEARS

Bears head coach Matt Nagy said the team would not name its starting quarterback ahead of their Week 1 game against Detroit. 

As Lions beat writer Dave Birkett notes, Detroit might not know which QB they're facing until the Chicago offense takes the field for the first time in the season opener. It's a bizarre scenario, and one that speaks to Nagy's lack of confidence in Mitchell Trubisky and Nick Foles. Nagy has played coy this offseason when asked if Trubisky has improved. Probably Nagy will bounce between Trubisky and Foles throughout the 2020 season. The Lions defense could be a solid streaming option for Week 1 against an offense with the worst QB situation in the NFL. 

RELATED: 

Nick Foles

SOURCE: Detroit Free Press

Aug 29, 2020, 7:07 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Mitchell Trubisky is expected to start Week 1.

Trubisky held off Nick Foles, who has fully guaranteed salaries the next two seasons. Chicago wasn't expected to name a starter before Week 1. PFT's Mike Florio reported the coaching staff believes Trubisky "stepped up and improved the way the team wanted." Trubisky will open the year in a starting role, but his leash is short after regressing across the board in 2019.

SOURCE: ESPN

Sep 4, 2020, 7:45 PM ET

How dumb were the Bears to not kick the tires on Cam Newton?  Trotting mitch out there again is just monumentally stupid
Welcome to the Bears FO and Coaching staff.  Probably need to salvage Trubisky to also salvage continued employment.   At least it gives them another "out" by turning to Foles, or so they may think.  

IMO if Trubisky starts poorly it just further reinforces that Chicago doesn't have the right decision makers in place. 

I understand the decision, I understand the thought process. I also understand a winning franchise wouldnt think that way. You're sacrificing valuable time, preparation, and probably wins to take a last shot at something that won't work because you convince yourself you can always go to Plan B later. That's a great way to lose a locker room. 

Mitchell Trubisky completed 20-of-36 passes for 242 yards and three touchdowns in Week 1 against the Lions.

Trubisky had a rough start, failing to convert seven straight third downs to open the game. He threw behind Ted Ginn and was almost intercepted when Chicago went for it on fourth down in the first quarter, then gifted a would-be pick that was dropped by Justin Coleman. Trubisky threw all of his touchdowns in the fourth quarter when the Lions lost their top two corners to injuries. His TD to Anthony Miller was off target, and he had short red-zone throws to Jimmy Graham and Javon Wims for his other scores. There were some shaky plays from Trubisky, who overthrew his receivers multiple times and took a 27-yard sack fumble, but he's gained some leash going into a Week 2 matchup with the Giants.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, he had some rough patches but every blurb even when he wins a game has to highlight the negatives. God forbid anyone could give the guy some credit.

Meanwhile, Sam Darnold still stinks....when's that going to be a national pile on?

Mitchell Trubisky completed 18-of-28 passes for 190 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Bears' 17-13, Week 2 win over the Giants.

Trubisky did all of his "damage" in the first half, as he threw the ball just nine times for 31 yards and both of his interceptions after halftime. Trubisky still makes boneheaded plays, but he mixes in an occasional magical one to give the Bears some hope. They're few and far between, however, though the Bears are now 2-0 to open the year. Trubisky's touchdowns were a 28-yard soft flipper to David Montgomery, who did all of the work after the catch, and then a 15-yarder to rookie WR Darnell Mooney. Trubisky gets another plum Week 3 draw against the Falcons' pitiful defense.

Sep 20, 2020, 4:26 PM ET

Bears benched QB Mitchell Trubisky in the second half against the Falcons in Week 3.

Trubisky's stat line was not awful, but his performance against the heavily injured Falcons' defense was beyond poor. At the time of the benching, Trubisky completed 13-of-21 attempts for 128 yards, one touchdown and one interception, adding another 45 yards on the ground. Trubisky outplayed his perceived ability in the opening two weeks of the season, helping the Bears to a 2-0 record, but this benching shows just how short his leash was. Nick Foles is now Chicago's starter.

Sep 27, 2020, 3:03 PM ET

The Chicago Tribune's Dan Wiederer reports Mitchell Trubisky is expected to start in Week 12 against the Packers.

Coach Matt Nagy has refused to name a starter publically, but Trubisky has taken all the practice reps in place of Nick Foles (hip) this week. The Bears are also reportedly "leaving the door open" for Trubisky to reclaim the starting role even when Foles is healthy and able to return. The 26-year-old was benched upon throwing his third interception back in Week 3 and hasn't been on the field for relief since. It's a lose-lose situation for Nagy as the Bears continue sliding in the standings due to horrendous play under center.

SOURCE: Chicago Tribune on Twitter

Nov 26, 2020, 5:52 PM ET

Mitchell Trubisky will get the start Sunday night against the Packers. 

Nagy told reporters Trubisky is "extremely prepared" to take over at quarterback in the lifeless Chicago offense. Trubisky started the season well enough, with five touchdowns on 432 passing yards in the first couple games. He was then benched in Week 3 against Atlanta and hasn't thrown a pass since. He'll replace Nick Foles (hip), who is listed as doubtful, in an unenviable matchup against Green Bay's stellar secondary. Anyone starting Trubisky in superflex formats should consider the potential for an in-game benching for Tyler Bray. Trubisky under center makes every Chicago receiver unplayable except for Allen Robinson. 

RELATED: 

Tyler Bray

, Nick Foles

SOURCE: Jim Owczarski on Twitter 

Nov 27, 2020, 2:48 PM ET

They should have held the decision to start Trubisky until game time to make the Packers prepare for both quarterbacks.   :)  

I think there will be an offensive explosion with Mitch at the helm and he will throw for 2 TDs. Of course that will be in the 4th quarter when they are trailing by over 20 points.  Hopefully Mitch is healthy enough to run for his life behind their line. 

When asked if Mitchell Trubisky would start in Week 13 against the Lions, Bears coach Matt Nagy responded, "I don't see why not."

We do. Trubisky was horrendous in his return to the field for Nick Foles (hip/glute), completing 56.5% of his passes and coughing up a fumble-six to gift the Packers a four-score lead in the first half. He also took three sacks and averaged 5.3 YPA while missing open receivers at every level of the field. Allen Robinson got there with two touchdowns Sunday night, but this offense is clearly in the part of a shipwreck when everyone is scrounging for lifeboats. Tyler Bray will likely get looks at some point if this keeps up.

SOURCE: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

Nov 30, 2020, 2:13 PM ET

I'm possibly (gulp) rolling with Mitch in my FF playoffs.  

(things I never thought I'd said in 2020 for $500, Ken)

I have all but clinched a 1st round bye, so I should only need to worry about weeks 15 & (hopefully) 16.  He plays Jax and Minny in weeks 15 & 16, who are 3rd and 14th in FF points allowed in my league (no negative points for turnovers).

I've been streaming all year, but except for Darnold, every starting QB is on a roster in my 12-team league now.  It's Trubisky or Wentz for me.

Users who are viewing this thread