What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mitch Trubisky, BUF (1 Viewer)

^ That article is from Friday though. Within another 24 hours local media whiplashed from “Nagy is dumb and Mitch stinks” to “it’s only because Mitch didn’t play in preseason so they’re still winning it all!!” Godspeed.

Key takeaways and stats to know from Week 2

Excerpt:

As for Trubisky, his issues rely on his accuracy. As the fourth-lowest-graded quarterback so far, 28.8% of his passes have been uncatchable (second-worst rate in the league) and only 3.0% of his passes have been put in the “perfect” spot, per PFF’s QB charting data.

Even when he has had an open receiver, Trubisky still can’t get the job done. Not only does he have the NFL’s worst passing grade when throwing to a receiver with a step or more of separation, but he has also recorded a lowly 6.7 yards per attempt when doing so.

This might be a complete nothingburger BC we all know Trubisky has looked gawd awful first 2 weeks of the season, BUUUUT...

if you’re in a league that allows you to grab him rt now off the FA wore in advance of tonight’s game and you have a player you planned on dropping for this week’s waiver claims, AND, if you’re like me without a stud qb (I have mayfield and dalton) you might want to drop that player and speculatively add Trubisky now in advance of tonight’s game.  

Yes he has sucked ####.  However, he did play against the packers and the broncos, and thus far they have shown to be very good pass defenses.  

If you look at his schedule from today on, at least on paper it looks like it gets VERY juicy.  Not a whole lot of intimidating matchups outside of the Rams.  Even minn in week 5 doesn’t look that daunting.  Xavier Rhodes might lock down a rob but the other WRs might feast.  

I keep thinking back to last year where he showed flashes and had some monster performances that made me think he could be a great qb.  Is it really possible that he will suck this bad all year?

I dropped Darwin Thompson for him today (was going to drop Darwin for either gallman or Jamaal Williams anyway as it’s clear he is the rb4 in KC)  and in doing so am placing a small bet that Trubisky rights the ship tonight and lights up the skins in an easier matchup.  

If he does that he will end up being a ww darling going into week 4 considering the QB woes that so many owners are having rt now.  

If he doesn’t and he continues to suck, I’ll just drop him for my we claim this week.  

Why does that mean that Trubisky can’t rush for 500 yards?  Having a good rb is great, but you can have both.  In fact a Mobile qb who takes off and can pass stresses the defense and opens rushing lanes for the RBs look at what his Edwards did late last year with a very mobile Lamar Jackson.  
I think potentially he can. Whats going to make it tough is that every team in the league now knows that as long as you scheme to keep him in the pocket, he's probably not going to hurt you. Trubisky is a good runner and a good athlete, but lets not confuse him with Lamar Jackson. He isn't going to break a lot of plays with his feet if the pass rush is geared to keeping him inside the tackles and a spy is watching him on passing downs. The bottom line is you cant be successful in this league in the long term if you cant be accurate in the pocket. Smoke and mirrors can work for a while, but ultimately defenses learn your tendencies and can force you to stand up in the pocket and make plays. Much better runners than Mitchell Trubisky have come into the league shot out of a cannon but found themselves out of work within a few seasons because they couldnt get it done from the pocket.

Mitchell Trubisky completed 25-of-31 passes for 231 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in the Bears' 31-15, Week 3 win over the Redskins Monday night.

Trubisky didn't account for a touchdown Weeks 1-2. He didn't play all that great in this one, but Case Keenum turned the ball over five times for Washington and set Trubisky and the Bears offense up with great field position multiple times. Trubisky threw a pair of short touchdowns to Taylor Gabriel before hitting Gabriel again for an acrobatic 36-yard score where Gabriel adjusted to a poorly-placed ball to beat Josh Norman for the score. Trubisky didn't have to do anything in the second half, but he also didn't play well with the Redskins threatening a comeback. Trubisky has done nothing as a runner through three games, either. He'll be a bottom-barrel QB2 next week against the Vikings.

Sep 23, 2019, 11:29 PM ET

I don’t think any QB in the league is held to as high a standard as Trubisky. Nothing he does will satisfy anyone and Rotoworld can’t do a blurb without having a dig at him (see Montgomery blurb from today).

Not saying he’s been great but I can’t recall a QB getting picked apart on every throw as much as this guy. It’s relentless.

I don’t think any QB in the league is held to as high a standard as Trubisky. Nothing he does will satisfy anyone and Rotoworld can’t do a blurb without having a dig at him (see Montgomery blurb from today).

Not saying he’s been great but I can’t recall a QB getting picked apart on every throw as much as this guy. It’s relentless.
I agree, it seems like everyone just wants to hate on him. He had a decent game. The TD to Gabriel off his back foot was an incredible throw. Watching the game I actually think that Nagy might be more of the problem, he just needs to let the kid play to his strengths. The INT in the end zone was a horrible pass but every QB has bad throws every game, even our saviour Patrick Mahomes.

I agree, it seems like everyone just wants to hate on him. He had a decent game. The TD to Gabriel off his back foot was an incredible throw. Watching the game I actually think that Nagy might be more of the problem, he just needs to let the kid play to his strengths. The INT in the end zone was a horrible pass but every QB has bad throws every game, even our saviour Patrick Mahomes.
Now just imagine what a Bear team would like with Patrick Mahomes or DeShaun Watson at QB.    He will forever be linked to those great players.   

The way Mahomes is playing, they'll build a new wing in the Hall of Fame for him.   He's Dan Marino with mobility and more athleticism.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Now just imagine what a Bear team would like with Patrick Mahomes or DeShaun Watson at QB.    He will forever be linked to those great players.   

The way Mahomes is playing, they'll build a new wing in the Hall of Fame for him.   He's Dan Marino with mobility and more athleticism.   
Imagine any team with Mahomes! Watson is not going to be long for the NFL.

I have simply have not been impressed with his mechanics. They are terrible. He had a good game last night against a really bad team. I love his mobility, arm strength and moxy. But he has to become a better passer to be talked about in the same vain as Mahomes and Watson (Watson is a better passer right now).

And great comparison above about Mahomes. He is Marino with mobility. I have not seen a passer like Mahomes since Marino. He makes impossible throws look easy.

Imagine any team with Mahomes! Watson is not going to be long for the NFL.
Agreed. 

But with respect to Trebisky, he's just not very good.   The throw to Gabriel was poorly placed and behind him, but Gabriel made an incredible adjustment and made the catch.  Trebisky had guys wide open all night, and his inaccuracy was quite evident.   He just doesn't look like a competent, confident QB.  Eyes don't lie.   

Matt Nagy made a concerted effort to get Trebisky some easy TD passes at the goal line to give him a bit of confidence, rather than handing the ball off to Montgomery.   Trebisky short-armed his other attempt and got the ball intercepted.   

The Redskins were ready to quit in the 2nd half, but Nagy didn't run the ball down their throats to kill the clock.  His play-calling is very suspect.   Nagy just gets a bit too cute at times, and it will cost the Bears at the most inopportune time.  

Agreed. 

But with respect to Trebisky, he's just not very good.   The throw to Gabriel was poorly placed and behind him, but Gabriel made an incredible adjustment and made the catch.  Trebisky had guys wide open all night, and his inaccuracy was quite evident.   He just doesn't look like a competent, confident QB.  Eyes don't lie.   

Matt Nagy made a concerted effort to get Trebisky some easy TD passes at the goal line to give him a bit of confidence, rather than handing the ball off to Montgomery.   Trebisky short-armed his other attempt and got the ball intercepted.   

The Redskins were ready to quit in the 2nd half, but Nagy didn't run the ball down their throats to kill the clock.  His play-calling is very suspect.   Nagy just gets a bit too cute at times, and it will cost the Bears at the most inopportune time.  
If Mahomes, Rodgers or Brady makes that same throw the narrative is much different. Now dont get me wrong, I think he has accuracy issues but give credit where credit is due. It was a hell of pass off his back foot while running to his right. The INT was ridiculously bad.

Agree with you on Nagy and the 2nd half, poor coaching and play calling.

Goff is a top 5 QB for me. My rankings don't look like FBG's though......like Engram is a top 10 dynasty asset to me.....he's probably not top 30 on FBG's board. 

Trubisky reminds me of Aaron Rodgers with his accuracy.  
Milkman, always respect your opinion....Trubisky has struggled a bit...you still high on him?

Agreed. 

Wait, what pass to Gabriel was poorly placed? 

I have simply have not been impressed with his mechanics. They are terrible. He had a good game last night against a really bad team. I love his mobility, arm strength and moxy. But he has to become a better passer to be talked about in the same vain as Mahomes and Watson (Watson is a better passer right now).

And great comparison above about Mahomes. He is Marino with mobility. I have not seen a passer like Mahomes since Marino. He makes impossible throws look easy.
People can keep comparing him to Mahomes all they want. If any team had even a clue he was going to tlbe this good, teams would've been traded multiple first round picks to take him at #1.  I love Watson as well, but he's a wild man out there. His body and style of play are never going to hold up in the NFL.  

Here's the thing with Mitch. The media set the narrative long ago with him.  Team makes the playoffs for the first time in years and drove the team down to what should've had been the game winning fg with no time left in his first playoff game. Then it's oh well the defense got them there. He has a solid game against the Redskins and it's oh well they're a bad team.  All your seeing is a lack of preseason snaps hiring Mitch over the first couple games. There are plenty of things he needs to improve upon and concerns to be bad, but they will always be magnified because he was taken before Mahomes and Watson.  Watson is never going to hold up over the long-term. No one saw what was coming with Mahomes and he walked into a perfect situation. 

People can keep comparing him to Mahomes all they want. If any team had even a clue he was going to tlbe this good, teams would've been traded multiple first round picks to take him at #1.  I love Watson as well, but he's a wild man out there. His body and style of play are never going to hold up in the NFL.  

Here's the thing with Mitch. The media set the narrative long ago with him.  Team makes the playoffs for the first time in years and drove the team down to what should've had been the game winning fg with no time left in his first playoff game. Then it's oh well the defense got them there. He has a solid game against the Redskins and it's oh well they're a bad team.  All your seeing is a lack of preseason snaps hiring Mitch over the first couple games. There are plenty of things he needs to improve upon and concerns to be bad, but they will always be magnified because he was taken before Mahomes and Watson.  Watson is never going to hold up over the long-term. No one saw what was coming with Mahomes and he walked into a perfect situation. 
They also gave up a LOT to move up 1 spot AND take him over Mahomes and Watson- when you make a very aggressive move like that, you had better be right, and so far it hasn't worked out (still too early to make a definitive call, but not looking good at all).

They also gave up a LOT to move up 1 spot AND take him over Mahomes and Watson- when you make a very aggressive move like that, you had better be right, and so far it hasn't worked out (still too early to make a definitive call, but not looking good at all).
I don’t think it’s too early

Mitchell Trubisky will undergo further testing on his injured shoulder Monday.

The Bears should have a clearer idea of Trubisky's timetable later today, though NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirms he's "doubtful" for Week 5 against the Raiders. That game will be played overseas at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London. Luckily for Trubisky, the injury was to his left (non-throwing shoulder). The Bears have a bye after their trip to London, affording Trubisky an extra week to recover. Chase Daniel will start in Trubisky's absence, however long that may be.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 30, 2019, 11:48 AM ET

You have to wonder if Chicago uses this as an excuse to move on. The offense looks as good or better with Daniel in the small sample we have seen. 

RushHour said:
Cue the Chase Daniel >>>>>>> Trubisky takes. As predictable as night following day.
I'm not sure if Daniel is the answer at all, but Trubisky has looked really bad. 

:yes:

We can split hairs but that is the best comparison...Marino '83-'86 with 1984 being the high water mark, he was the most amazing QB to walk into the NFL at that time. Shattered records like they didn't exist. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Mitchell Trubisky's MRI revealed a dislocated left shoulder and "slight" labrum tear.

Trubisky reportedly doesn't need surgery and will be back "sooner rather than later." He'll make the trip to London in Week 5, but with a bye week scheduled for the ensuing Sunday, he can be unofficially ruled out ahead of time. A spot-start against the Raiders isn't the worst position to be in for Chase Daniel, who engineered points on 4 of Chicago's first 5 drives off the bench in Sunday's win. Trubisky should be able to return for Week 7.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 30, 2019, 1:07 PM ET

I'm not sure if Daniel is the answer at all, but Trubisky has looked really bad. 
He had a couple of not great games against tough defenses. I still don't think he's the disaster that everyone says and I think he is scrutinised more than every other QB in the NFL for some reason. No one ever gives him credit for the good things he does, but he's buried for his mistakes (and Nagy is more of a problem).

I know he hasn't played this year really but a comparison with Darnold is interesting to me. From what I've seen, Darnold has looked really bad, yet the media still sees him as a saviour for the Jets and their franchise QB. I'd argue he hasn't done anything to warrant a higher opinion of him than Trubisky at this point, but the narratives about them are vastly different. 

He had a couple of not great games against tough defenses. I still don't think he's the disaster that everyone says and I think he is scrutinised more than every other QB in the NFL for some reason. No one ever gives him credit for the good things he does, but he's buried for his mistakes (and Nagy is more of a problem).

I know he hasn't played this year really but a comparison with Darnold is interesting to me. From what I've seen, Darnold has looked really bad, yet the media still sees him as a saviour for the Jets and their franchise QB. I'd argue he hasn't done anything to warrant a higher opinion of him than Trubisky at this point, but the narratives about them are vastly different. 
Yeah I can see that for sure.  I completely agree on your Darnold take.  

My issue with Mitch is that he doesn't seem good at making reads after the first read, and when he does make the right decision his accuracy is an issue. 

I think when he has looked good, a lot of times they are babying him with quick hitting stuff that allows the first read to be a high percentage low risk throw. 

He could still put it together, but I am concerned the Bears realize they can't wait on good QB play while their window is open with this elite defense. 

I also agree that we are probably being more harsh on Mitch than others. 

RushHour said:
Nagy has to keep dumbing down the offense for him.  Trubisky can't pick it up.  He can't even get through his progressions.   I think Nagy is a good coach who doesn't have much to work with.  Right now as far as I can see Ryan Pace is 0-2 on QB's.   He has been really good on other players and the defense is great.  Qb's no so good. 

Nagy has to keep dumbing down the offense for him.  Trubisky can't pick it up.  He can't even get through his progressions.   I think Nagy is a good coach who doesn't have much to work with.  Right now as far as I can see Ryan Pace is 0-2 on QB's.   He has been really good on other players and the defense is great.  Qb's no so good. 
We can agree to disagree on that. I think Nagy is holding him back and hurting the bears offensively. Their defense is so good it doesn’t matter I guess

Mitchell Trubisky (shoulder) remained sidelined at Thursday's practice.

Trubisky is a long shot to play coming off a dislocated shoulder he suffered early in last week's victory over the Vikings, though there's optimism he could return after Chicago's Week 6 bye. Look for Chase Daniel to make his fifth career start Sunday against the Raiders. That game will be held at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London.

RELATED: 

Chase Daniel

SOURCE: Chicago Bears PR on Twitter

Oct 3, 2019, 3:19 PM ET

Mitchell Trubisky (shoulder) was ruled out for Sunday's matchup against the Raiders.

Chase Daniel will get his fifth career start in this London matchup. Daniel's target distribution in three games with the Bears is as follows: Tarik Cohen (27), Allen Robinson (20), Taylor Gabriel and Javon Wims (20), Trey Burton (12), Anthony Miller (8) as well as Jordan Howard and David Montgomery (7). Expect the Bears to utilize a run-first plan on offense centered around both Montgomery and Cohen as long as Trubisky is sidelined.

Oct 4, 2019, 3:11 PM ET

Coach Matt Nagy is "cautiously optimistic" Mitchell Trubisky (shoulder) will play Week 7 against the Saints.

Trubisky is practicing in full Wednesday, but Nagy admitted it's a "balancing act" and Chase Daniel will get some first-team reps should Trubisky not gain clearance. All in all, the gap between Trubisky and Daniel isn't that large. Neither is very good.

SOURCE: Rich Campbell on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 1:08 PM ET

Mitchell Trubisky (shoulder) remained "full" on Thursday.

Trubisky avoided unusual soreness after Wednesday's return to full practice, meaning he will be good to go against the Saints. It is not a good spot, to put it mildly. The Saints have been erasing opposing quarterbacks over the past month, and Trubisky was playing genuinely bad football before going down in Week 4.

SOURCE: Dan Wiederer on Twitter

Oct 17, 2019, 5:31 PM ET

The only question remaining is whether Trubisky’s return is seen as a positive or negative for the Bears offense.  :unsure:

This is probably a hot take... but if your young QB is a true game time decision just sit him and let him heal.  What are the odds that he finishes the game without taking further damage? 

What are you going to do, tell the defense he has an owie so don't hit him? 

Even if there is no risk of aggravation or long term damage, how well is he going to play? it seems like a bad decision to run him back out there against a really tough defense if he isn't at maximum effectiveness, especially with his confidence waning and some of the fans and media already looking to go for the throat with the bust talk. 

I was taking a deeper look into Trubisky and I found something interesting.

Last year from weeks 1-11, before injury, Trubisky was a top 10 QB in my league. When you go into an even smaller sample (weeks 4-10, which is still 7 games) he was #2 overall QB, next to Patrick Mahomes. I look at the team as a whole. They have one of the best defenses in the league, which gives plenty of opportunity for the offense to be on the field. Yes, I have watched him and seen flaw, but I have also at times seen many flashes of potential. 

I own Wentz, as Trubisky is my #2 QB in a 20 team league. I was thinking of trading Wentz for a top RB or WR and keeping Trubisky based on the potential, but I understand its a boom or bust scenario in this case with Wentz being a pretty solid QB1.

I was taking a deeper look into Trubisky and I found something interesting.

Last year from weeks 1-11, before injury, Trubisky was a top 10 QB in my league. When you go into an even smaller sample (weeks 4-10, which is still 7 games) he was #2 overall QB, next to Patrick Mahomes. I look at the team as a whole. They have one of the best defenses in the league, which gives plenty of opportunity for the offense to be on the field. Yes, I have watched him and seen flaw, but I have also at times seen many flashes of potential. 

I own Wentz, as Trubisky is my #2 QB in a 20 team league. I was thinking of trading Wentz for a top RB or WR and keeping Trubisky based on the potential, but I understand its a boom or bust scenario in this case with Wentz being a pretty solid QB1.
The problem is the chicago OL is trash. & Mitch appears to have regressed. And Nagy gets waaaaaay too cute with his offense of playcalling.

until I see differently, you couldn’t pay me to start Trebisky in any format. Even In a super flex league I would much rather have a tight end, wide receiver, or running back.

Mitchell Trubisky completed 34-of-54 passes for 251 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Bears' 36-25, Week 7 loss against the Saints.

Trubisky was awful for virtually the entire afternoon outside of two garbage time drives late in the fourth quarter. He consistently missed open receivers on relatively routine throws, something that was certainly prevalent earlier this season even before the Bears QB injured his left shoulder. At one point late in the third quarter Trubisky simply flung a pass downfield to Allen Robinson in double coverage in pure desperation. The Bears’ lack of a run game (17 yards on seven carries) didn’t help matters, but there were still simply too many throws left on the field for fans and fantasy owners alike to feel any ounce of optimism around Trubisky. Perhaps the offense can get things on track at home in Week 8 against the Chargers.

Oct 20, 2019, 8:00 PM ET

54 passes, with what 9 runs? After a bye? Admittedly I have only watched a couple of their games in full but the HC has been questionable at best. 

Users who are viewing this thread