flapgreen

*2017 Chicago Bears Thread* Keeping Fox and Loggains. Heartache and Despair Ahead

309 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Let's hope and pray ownershiphas a change of heart between now and tomorrow and gets rid of Fox.  Worst season in Bears history finishing with 2 straight blowouts. 

Edited by flapgreen

1) Franchise QB.

2) LT 

3) RT
4) 2 CBs
5) TE
6) FS
7) 17 
8) Another WR 
9) more pass rushers

Fox sounds like a broken man in the post-game presser. He may get fired yet. 

Porter benched today because he... Overslept? This team has quit. 

If Fox stays,  McCoy should be the next OC. 

1 hour ago, flapgreen said:

Was thinking the same. Loggains blows.

Posted (edited)

One of the many problems with Fox staying is that it could cost Pace his job if and when the next season is another mess.   Fangio is definitely not coming back. 

Edited by flapgreen

Will you be starting threads for the other underachieving teams? It just seems odd that a non Bears fan would go out of his way to discuss the team he no longer cares about. :P

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, KCitons said:

Will you be starting threads for the other underachieving teams? It just seems odd that a non Bears fan would go out of his way to discuss the team he no longer cares about. :P

He's just deciding which faultily-run, underachieving team he wants to root for next.  He's not loyal enough to be a Browns fan.  Jacksonville maybe?

John Elway after the "departure" of Fox: "We haven't consistently played well for 60 min."

Sound familiar from the last 2 years? 

Malik Hooker declared.  Should be at top of Bears list at #3. Guy is awesome and the exact type of guy Bears need in secondary. 

18 hours ago, flapgreen said:

ATL will be in the hunt for his services as well. He would be wise to go there.

Another head coach definitely would have had this team in the super bowl. Incredibly talented team.

The offensive line actually performed well even with injuries, and I'm guessing all five of 2017 starters are currently on the roster. 

Stud at RB

WR will be a huge ? if they don't bring Alshon back. 

Trade the second round pick for Jimmy G, pray that he is a franchise QB, and draft a defensive monster with the 3rd pick in the draft. I really don't see this team being that far away from being competitive, and I think Pace has a plan that will look better and better come next fall. 

1 person likes this

#Browns HC Hue Jackson, on expected invitation to coach in @seniorbowl :  "I’ll jump. I’m there. Yessir."

Fox on Senior Bowl: "I really can’t comment other than you get a chance to watch guys and work with the guys almost like training camp." ...

Fox on Senior Bowl (cont.): "So, I see the benefits but I really can’t speak too much to that because I haven’t done it before.”

Look at this guy! 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, BoulderBob said:

The offensive line actually performed well even with injuries, and I'm guessing all five of 2017 starters are currently on the roster. 

Stud at RB

WR will be a huge ? if they don't bring Alshon back. 

Trade the second round pick for Jimmy G, pray that he is a franchise QB, and draft a defensive monster with the 3rd pick in the draft. I really don't see this team being that far away from being competitive, and I think Pace has a plan that will look better and better come next fall. 

A team without a qb,  TE  tackles worth a damn,  an entire secondary, a consistent pass rush,   and a decent coaching staff,  is further away than you think. 

Edited by flapgreen

Posted (edited)

9-23 in 2 seasons.  3-13 this season.  No qb.  Nothing that says they're close. 

Three-straight double-digit loss seasons and last place finishes, nine time in 10 years no playoffs. 

Seriously one of the worst franchises in the league 

Edited by flapgreen

If they keep Fox then it won't matter,  but I'm fine seeing McPhee go.  Can't stay healthy and owed 8 million this year.  Talks a lot of #### and doesn't back it up. 

16 hours ago, flapgreen said:

9-23 in 2 seasons.  3-13 this season.  No qb.  Nothing that says they're close. 

Three-straight double-digit loss seasons and last place finishes, nine time in 10 years no playoffs. 

Seriously one of the worst franchises in the league 

If they weren't decimated by injuries they would have had a few more wins at least.

They great thing about the NFL is a team can drastically turn around in a year or two.  All it takes is some key players and good coaching.  The Bears just seem to make it look harder than it should be though.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, flapgreen said:

One of the many problems with Fox staying is that it could cost Pace his job if and when the next season is another mess.   Fangio is definitely not coming back. 

Actually I think the opposite, I think it buys Pace another year to stock the team, I think he still has the chance to play they, "hey I hired the guy you wanted me to hire and it didn't work out, let me hire my guy and you'll see things change" card.

No word on the staff.  That means they're keeping everyone.  More failure ahead. 

Yeah, that pisses me off if true, but they still could be working on something behind the scenes and waiting to see who is available.  I'm sure guys like McCoy who could be good coordinators don't want to commit at this time because they still hope to get some HC interviews.  It may be a couple weeks before those guys go, "well, no HC jobs coming my way, let's see if anyone wants a new coordinator".

One time Fox keeping quiet is a good thing because you don't want to upset the ship before your next plan is ready.

I wouldn't trust anything the organization says right now.  There are way too many things that can happen this off season yet.

Don't trust them,  but if they were going to make a big change,  odds are that it would've been done before now.  Coordinators are already setting up interviews. 

36 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Don't trust them,  but if they were going to make a big change,  odds are that it would've been done before now.  Coordinators are already setting up interviews. 

I wouldn't get too worried yet.  There will be some opportunities.  I won't believe they will have the same staff in place until I see it in a few months.  Too many things can happen in the next month.

Love the enthusiasm in the title. 

Chicago needs to go get Romo. Hold onto Alshon. Would instantly make this team better. Draft for defense and OL. 

21 minutes ago, Dr. Brew said:

Love the enthusiasm in the title. 

Chicago needs to go get Romo. Hold onto Alshon. Would instantly make this team better. Draft for defense and OL. 

Why would they get Romo?  I don't think that makes any sense.  I could see if they had all the pieces in place at other positions but Romo does nothing for them short or long term other than cost more money.

I agree that they need to retain Jeffery.

Secondary improvement is a must.

Pass rushing improvement is a must.

OT help and OL depth is a must.

Getting a QB in the first 3 rounds is a must.

Getting a TE is a must.

Some of these need to be addressed in the draft and some can be addressed through FA.  They need to draft a QB regardless though.

15 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Why would they get Romo?  I don't think that makes any sense.  I could see if they had all the pieces in place at other positions but Romo does nothing for them short or long term other than cost more money.

I agree that they need to retain Jeffery.

Secondary improvement is a must.

Pass rushing improvement is a must.

OT help and OL depth is a must.

Getting a QB in the first 3 rounds is a must.

Getting a TE is a must.

Some of these need to be addressed in the draft and some can be addressed through FA.  They need to draft a QB regardless though.

They need to draft a QB regardless, but the problem is this: You move forward with Barkley or Cutler and what happens when either starts to falter... you end up bringing in your rookie way too early and he can get "ruined." I really think Chicago is an ideal fit for Romo because he can step in and immediately make them a potential playoff team. He adds stability at a position short term while they let a rookie develop. 

Either that or they go get Glennon and experiment there, but then they cannot draft a QB very high and end up with a controversy (and waste that much investment on 1 position)

I think Romo buys them 1-2 years as a competent QB letting a younger guy (Kizer???) develop. Why even keep Jeffery if you're not going to invest in a QB now. By the time a rookie QB is anything worth anything Jeffery is going to be in the final years of his new deal affecting your salary cap to an extent where you can't build around your QB as well. 

If you think Barkley is the answer for now, or Cutler, or if there's a QB worth coming in and starting midway through the year then yes, a plan of keeping Jeffery makes sense. I think it's better having a rookie sit for a year and learn; do it the right way. 

Getting Romo presents the same exact problems you stated could happen with keeping Cutler or Barkley.  Romo is a liability.  His odds of getting hurt are very high and he's not even that much better than Cutler.  They would be better off keeping any two of Cutler, Hoyer and Barkley.  The only reason most fans want Cutler gone is just because they are tired of him.  That's not the best reason to move on from a guy.  Cutler is already under contract and can offer the same that Romo can.

They should role with two of their current QBs, draft Garrett or Allen if available in the first and then draft a QB in the second round if a decent one is there.  Chances are one of the top 4 QBs is going to drop to the Bears in the second round.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Getting Romo presents the same exact problems you stated could happen with keeping Cutler or Barkley.  Romo is a liability.  His odds of getting hurt are very high and he's not even that much better than Cutler.  They would be better off keeping any two of Cutler, Hoyer and Barkley.  The only reason most fans want Cutler gone is just because they are tired of him.  That's not the best reason to move on from a guy.  Cutler is already under contract and can offer the same that Romo can.

They should role with two of their current QBs, draft Garrett or Allen if available in the first and then draft a QB in the second round if a decent one is there.  Chances are one of the top 4 QBs is going to drop to the Bears in the second round.

I cannot even believe I'm having this debate... You do realize that Romo's worst season starting at least 13 games (3500/26/13 in 2008) is Cutler's best of his career (4500/25/18 in 2008).

TD:INT Ratio: Cutler 1.4 Romo 2.1
Career Passing Yards; Cutler 32467, Romo 34183
Completion Percentage: 61.9, Romo 65.3
Career QB Rating: Cutler 85.7, Romo 97.1

Besides all that yeah I guess they are twins...

Cutler can be cut without any real long term cap issues. Romo would be expensive and a potential liability, especially since he's been hurt 2 years but those were for back issues, unpredictable. I think he still has 1-2 years of probowl play left. He immediately upgrades the bears offense way above what Chicago has ever had at QB over the last 15 years. 

I do agree with your draft assessment. But I think SF and CLE will have the same mentality... wait until round 2. Especially CLE. Garrett is going 1.01

Edited by Dr. Brew

Romo literally has the body of an old man.  His back issues are serious and so is his collar bone.  You don't have to debate that Romo has been the better QB over their careers, I already know that.  I don't care what Romo did I care about what he can offer in the future and I don't think it's enough for the Bears.  If they can get Romo dirt cheap then go ahead but that's not likely going to happen.  I do think he could offer some good leadership though, just not sure he can play a fulls season.

Regardless of anything we are saying, why the hell would he want to come to Chicago?  Wouldn't he want to try and win a SB again?  He won't have a chance to do that in Chicago.

As for the Browns and Niners, I'm sure they are thinking the same as the Bears but I really think one of them takes a QB and that's all it takes for one of the DE's to drop to the Bears.  I don't think Garrett and Allen go 1 and 2.

Press conference tomorrow that will be total bull#### that no one will care about. 

I feel bad for flap just reading this thread.

look at the bright side.... either Trubisky or Kizer should be there for you and if not than you got away with murder and got the best player in the draft in Garrett

Lol thanks. It's years of ineptitude with no reason to believe it will change. 

On 1/1/2017 at 9:32 PM, Arodin said:

He's just deciding which faultily-run, underachieving team he wants to root for next.  He's not loyal enough to be a Browns fan.  Jacksonville maybe?

Except I've been a Bears fan for 30 years.  Try again 

9 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Actually, Romo is MUCH better than Cutler......big upgrade IF he could stay healthy.....that's a big if, and Chicago is a dumpster fire......Romo to Denver makes way more sense.

Putting Tony Romo (aka Glass Joe) behind the Bears offensive line sounds like a great way to keep him healthy. I'll pass. 

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Romo literally has the body of an old man.  His back issues are serious and so is his collar bone.  You don't have to debate that Romo has been the better QB over their careers, I already know that.  I don't care what Romo did I care about what he can offer in the future and I don't think it's enough for the Bears.  If they can get Romo dirt cheap then go ahead but that's not likely going to happen.  I do think he could offer some good leadership though, just not sure he can play a fulls season.

Regardless of anything we are saying, why the hell would he want to come to Chicago?  Wouldn't he want to try and win a SB again?  He won't have a chance to do that in Chicago.

As for the Browns and Niners, I'm sure they are thinking the same as the Bears but I really think one of them takes a QB and that's all it takes for one of the DE's to drop to the Bears.  I don't think Garrett and Allen go 1 and 2.

False. His collar bone is not a serious issue. It's fine. It was broken, and it was a serious issue, but it is fine now. And his back issues are concerning but not serious. You guys had no problem having Urlacher play a more dangerous position with a more serious back injury for many years. 

I think Romo does come pretty cheap. I think he can be had for a 4-5th round pick. And he would come to Chicago because it's the perfect fit. Other than Houston, Chicago is the next best team that needs a QB but has players already in that offense that can succeed. 

Those saying Chicago's OL isn't a good idea for Romo. Sure 2016 line. But what is 2017's line going to look like? I would imagine better. I remember 2015 or maybe it was 14 where I made a comment in a Chicago thread about the OL not being good and someone came out and bragged about how awesome their OL was being completely remade. I would certainly hope Chicago would make some changes at OL and would be much better for 2017 if I'm a Bear's fan. 

Romo will likely to go Houston or Chicago because they rae teams that can be playoff contenders immediately with his presence. I don't think Houston does it because of Romo's contract; they just can't afford two QBs being paid like starters. So Chicago is the next best. I know you guys don't want him, obviously, but everything I'm hearing is pointing to Chicago for Romo. 

12 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Press conference tomorrow that will be total bull#### that no one will care about. 

As long as Fox is taking questions then you are 100% correct.  I'd rather only hear from Pace and Fangio.