flapgreen

*2017 Chicago Bears Thread* WHY?!? 111

1,008 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, flapgreen said:

In the last 25 seasons, the Bears have finished under .500 15 times. 15!! The Browns have 19. That's how bad it's been.

I think we all know how bad it's been.  It's in the past now though.  Lets focus on how to improve this franchise right now.

I just listened to George McCasky on the Score and he said that he promised Pace he would be patient with him and his rebuild and that's why Fox is still here.  They are here one more year so we might as well get on board and hope they make some great moves this off season.

I feel Pace can draft well and I know Fox can put together a talented team.  Hopefully Pace and Fox can put all the pieces together then maybe the front office can dump Fox and get a good game day coach in there that knows how to win with the talent he's given.  Probably won't happen but it sounds nice.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

George is delusional and Fox is a bum,  but Pace seems to know his ####.  I expect them to spend a significant amount of money on the secondary. 

Secondary FA Targets:

Tony Jefferson

Eric Berry

Trumaine Johnson

Logan Ryan

AJ Bouye

Stephon Gilmore

LB:

Melvin Ingram

DL

Kawan Short

Edited by flapgreen

Perfect synopsis of how full of #### Fox and Pace are.  It was Crappy coaching! Starting with Fox and Loggains.  Simple as that!  We see through the your facade. 

4 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Perfect synopsis of how full of #### Fox and Pace are.  It was Crappy coaching! Starting with Fox and Loggains.  Simple as that!  We see through the your facade. 

Coaching wasn't good but lack of depth and injuries were big too. Hopefully with another good draft and some free agent signings we can turn this around in a couple of years.

I would agree if they hadn't kept loggains.  He's terrible.  No feel for the game and gets consistently outcoached and I don't even think he realizes it.  Or does Fox.  Team fell apart in the second half in almost every game.  That's coaching. 

Keeping Loggains means you are well and truly ####ed for 2017. Sorry Windy City sports fans, but next season is going to suck too

Pace and George say they want results and to win now,  but they expect to do that with a new qb coming in next season.  Good luck with that,  idiots.  Not happening. 

Clint Hurtt now leaving as well.  OLB coach.  That makes 2 coaches who have left on their own.  They know it's a sinking ship. 

Stop freaking out about the coaches, cripes!  It doesn't matter what they said in the presser the other day.  No one's job is guaranteed with any NFL team.  Loggains in still considered the OC at the moment but that doesn't mean he will be for sure when next season starts.  As for the coaches who have moved on, is it really that big of a deal?  Lets not overreact.  If I recall correctly Hurtt was one of the only coaches retained from the Trestman era.

Turned down an extension from Bears. 

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Stop freaking out about the coaches, cripes!  It doesn't matter what they said in the presser the other day.  No one's job is guaranteed with any NFL team.  Loggains in still considered the OC at the moment but that doesn't mean he will be for sure when next season starts.  As for the coaches who have moved on, is it really that big of a deal?  Lets not overreact.  If I recall correctly Hurtt was one of the only coaches retained from the Trestman era.

You support anything the organization does.  I get it. I don't.  I support the good decisions they make and criticize the bad ones.   You don't even know who Hurtt is.  Yes,  it matters when maybe your best 2 position coaches turn down extension and make a lateral move.  You just don't get it.   They know there's a high probability that the current coaching staff will be gone next year.   Couldn't be more obvious.  Now we're going to bring in a new qb with a lame duck coach and expect to win,  and lose yet another year with a new qb 

Edited by flapgreen

Posted (edited)

Hurtt is the main guy who coached Floyd.  Leaves to go to a worse or and even more dysfunctional team. 

Edited by flapgreen

Bouye looked very good today 

Mitch Tribusky, QB from North Carolina declared for the draft today, but I'm not sure I would spend the 3rd overall pick for a one-year starter. He won't last to the second round though. I've read that the J-E-T-S are really high on this kid, but given their recent history of picking QBs, that soul say something. The Bears HAVE to hit on this pick, and I'm not sure I trust who they would get if they decide to move down in the draft either.

That said, I think the Bears should go after Glennon and take the best player available at #3. Glennon would give them a starter for a couple of years, grooming a QB they select this year or next. I am intrigued by Josh Allen, a junior QB out of Wyoming, but he hasn't declared yet. He may stay in Wyoming one more year to work on his skills, but they say his size is prototypical and has a good arm. If he declares and he lasts to the second round, I think the Bears should target him. 

For me there are three scenarios I think could happen.  

1. Either the Browns, Niners or both draft a QB leaving the Bears to pick Garrett or Allen.  I hope this happens and they pick a QB in the second.

2. Garrett and Allen both get taken before the Bears and they find a team to trade down with to gain extra picks.  They need as many picks as they can get but they need a team willing to trade up.  Maybe a team feels they need to trade up in order to get Fournette.  They could then grab a QB in the second round.

3. Garrett and Allen are both gone and no team is willing to trade up to the third pick.  Bears end up taking a QB they feel is the best.  For me it's Trubisky.

1 person likes this

I'd go along with 1 or 2

Just now, flapgreen said:

I'd go along with 1 or 2

I put them in the order I prefer them to happen.  I'd love to get Garrett or Allen and hopefully a decent QB falls to the second round, which I really think is going to happen.  One of those top 4 guys is going to fall.

Hope so

23 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I put them in the order I prefer them to happen.  I'd love to get Garrett or Allen and hopefully a decent QB falls to the second round, which I really think is going to happen.  One of those top 4 guys is going to fall.

I think you're being very optimistic... Pending a combine or PR disaster, Garrett will go 1.01. Allen will likely fall to Chicago. Which makes sense to take him, yes. But, I really don't see one of the top 4 QBs falling to round 2. 

Teams in need of a QB early:
CLE - possibly take one with thier second 1st round pick, or will likely take one round 1 ahead of Chicago
SF - If Allen is there, then SF took one
CHI - in this scenario they pass round 1
NYJ - Probably target a QB, I think Trubisky
BUF - Likely going to move on from Taylor, no one is ready on their roster behind him
HOU - They cannot shop in the FA market, so they will have to draft one

Honorable Mentions
DEN - I disagree with this but many in other threads feel like Denver would go for a QB round 1 since Lynch seems terrible and Siemian is a steward if anything. They are in a win-now kind of mode and not sure if Lynch is ready to make that leap... Maybe they go after Romo instead. :shrug: 
AZ - could dabble if a good QB falls, doubt it, but it's realistic. They have to start thinking about their future

I think the teams most likely to take a 1st round QB are CLE (2nd pick, if not 2.01), SF, NYJ, and HOU. Buffalo is very likely as well. I don't see them passing on one if they have a chance. 

Chicago will need to hope to strike gold round 2 or even 3 if they pass round 1. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Brew said:

I think you're being very optimistic... Pending a combine or PR disaster, Garrett will go 1.01. Allen will likely fall to Chicago. Which makes sense to take him, yes. But, I really don't see one of the top 4 QBs falling to round 2. 

Teams in need of a QB early:
CLE - possibly take one with thier second 1st round pick, or will likely take one round 1 ahead of Chicago
SF - If Allen is there, then SF took one
CHI - in this scenario they pass round 1
NYJ - Probably target a QB, I think Trubisky
BUF - Likely going to move on from Taylor, no one is ready on their roster behind him
HOU - They cannot shop in the FA market, so they will have to draft one

Honorable Mentions
DEN - I disagree with this but many in other threads feel like Denver would go for a QB round 1 since Lynch seems terrible and Siemian is a steward if anything. They are in a win-now kind of mode and not sure if Lynch is ready to make that leap... Maybe they go after Romo instead. :shrug: 
AZ - could dabble if a good QB falls, doubt it, but it's realistic. They have to start thinking about their future

I think the teams most likely to take a 1st round QB are CLE (2nd pick, if not 2.01), SF, NYJ, and HOU. Buffalo is very likely as well. I don't see them passing on one if they have a chance. 

Chicago will need to hope to strike gold round 2 or even 3 if they pass round 1. 

I've been looking at about every mock draft I can find online and I don't see may expecting that many QBs to go in the first.  This is obviously going to change a lot before the draft but as of now I see it being possible.

I see the Jets taking a RB more than a QB right now but it's very possible they draft one.  It's all going to depend which QBs are available for them.

I guess the first thing to determine is who are the top 5 QBs.  Right now it's Trubisky, Watson, Kizer, Kayaa and Mahomes in no specific order.  Do we expect all 5 of them to go in the first round in a year which they are not considered to be all that good.  I think it's very possible one or two of those guys falls to the Bears in the second round.  Of those 5 none of them really stand out too much and every major analyst seems to have a different name at the top of their list.  I've seen Trubisky, Watson and Kizer all considered to be the best QB by experts.

24 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I've been looking at about every mock draft I can find online and I don't see may expecting that many QBs to go in the first.  This is obviously going to change a lot before the draft but as of now I see it being possible.

I see the Jets taking a RB more than a QB right now but it's very possible they draft one.  It's all going to depend which QBs are available for them.

I guess the first thing to determine is who are the top 5 QBs.  Right now it's Trubisky, Watson, Kizer, Kayaa and Mahomes in no specific order.  Do we expect all 5 of them to go in the first round in a year which they are not considered to be all that good.  I think it's very possible one or two of those guys falls to the Bears in the second round.  Of those 5 none of them really stand out too much and every major analyst seems to have a different name at the top of their list.  I've seen Trubisky, Watson and Kizer all considered to be the best QB by experts.

I agree to some extent but I think the drought at QB is so significant for some teams (BUF, HOU, NYJ, CLE) that there is going to be more pressure than usual to find a good one and/or to take one early. Chicago has had the worst QB situation in the last couple of decades but they are the most stable of all those teams, if that makes any sense; they have Cutler, who yes is Cutler but he is stability at QB when those teams have been through so many other QBs. 

The most likely, IMO, to drop to Chicago round 2 is Watson. With everything I'm reading about Watson, the best teams have him is 2-3rd round grade. I don't know where you're seeing he's considered one of the best... His stock has plummeted for some reason or another. I really think Chicago could get him round 3 if they wanted... 

1 minute ago, Dr. Brew said:

I agree to some extent but I think the drought at QB is so significant for some teams (BUF, HOU, NYJ, CLE) that there is going to be more pressure than usual to find a good one and/or to take one early. Chicago has had the worst QB situation in the last couple of decades but they are the most stable of all those teams, if that makes any sense; they have Cutler, who yes is Cutler but he is stability at QB when those teams have been through so many other QBs. 

The most likely, IMO, to drop to Chicago round 2 is Watson. With everything I'm reading about Watson, the best teams have him is 2-3rd round grade. I don't know where you're seeing he's considered one of the best... His stock has plummeted for some reason or another. I really think Chicago could get him round 3 if they wanted... 

I agree that Watson's stock is dropping.  When I said that all three of those guys have been rated as the top QB I didn't mean right at this moment, I just meant over the last month or so.  Looking today I've seen Trubisky or Kizer being the first QB taken with Mahomes late in the first round and Watson and Kayaa falling out of the first.  That would leave the Bears with two possible options to pick from in the second round.

I'm not saying it will happen but looking at it now I see it's very possible to happen.  Bears take QB in second round is my prediction at this time.

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I agree that Watson's stock is dropping.  When I said that all three of those guys have been rated as the top QB I didn't mean right at this moment, I just meant over the last month or so.  Looking today I've seen Trubisky or Kizer being the first QB taken with Mahomes late in the first round and Watson and Kayaa falling out of the first.  That would leave the Bears with two possible options to pick from in the second round.

I'm not saying it will happen but looking at it now I see it's very possible to happen.  Bears take QB in second round is my prediction at this time.

Very possible. We've seen a lot of teams lately waiting until round 2 because of the risk that comes with drafting a QB round 1. You almost have to commit to them because of the investment. That could mean success of 2-3 years of failure. I agree with your assessment. I would imagine Kizer as the first, Trubisky second, Mahomes probably later 1st round (Houston maybe, or a team trading up into the end of the draft). After that it's a crap shoot. You never know; only takes one team to fall in love with you. 

My projection would be at least 5 QBs go before Chicago picks.
SF takes Kizer, NYJ Trubisky. Houston also grabs a QB.
Cleveland passes on a QB both of their picks with the intention of grabbing one 2.01.
If that happens I think you may see Buffalo or even Chicago trade into the back end of round 1 to grab the 4th QB assuming Cleveland is looking for one 2.01. Chicago is never one to trade up historically so I don't see that happening. If the Jets pass on a QB then I would see them trading up.
I think it's possible Buffalo even trades with SF to get ahead of Chicago in round 2 to grab a QB if one is available.

Pure speculation. How crazy (and frustrating for a Bears fan) would it be if 3 QBs are taken in a row before Chicago's 2.03 pick. It's a very plausible scenario considering the names that could fall and the expectation that the Bears would take one in the second round. If I'm looking at some help at QB and only 3 go in the 1st round I'm definitely giving the 32nd pick a call to see what it'd take to move up to get ahead of Cleveland, and if that doesn't work then I'd be talking to the 49ers. I think if DEN is possibly looking at making a change, or AZ is looking at depth behind an ancient Palmer, they would be seriously considering these moves. I can't imagine it being too expensive for either of them to move up to do this. 

All depends on what grades people on have on the QBs and how willing teams are to go and get one of the top 5. Predicting the super bowl is probably easier than predicting the draft. Should be a fun draft regardless. 

Edited by Dr. Brew

I pray they don't trade into the late first round.  They need as many picks as they can get and giving some up to get a QB seems like a huge mistake to me.  I'd rather they be patient and just take a QB in the third round then.  They could possibly get Chad Kelly there.  They also seem to like the QB out of Wyoming that could be had after the second round.  There are plenty of opportunities to get good players in this draft but I don't see too many that need to be reached for.

As for the Bears not being a team to trade up historically I think that gets thrown out the window with this regime.  Pace traded up in the first round last year and made a couple other trades during that draft.  He's not afraid to make moves in order to get the guys he wants.

If all the QB needy teams take a QB before the Bears pick in the second round, then all the free agents available become that much cheaper. Glennon and Taylor may become inexpensive options.

As a Giants fan Ill give you odb for Jordan Howard straight up.short of that give me your first pick and call it a deal. Bears have a damn good RB right now..their defense was sneaky good.

Their QBs sucked.but it'll come together ...Think about Fox..he's kinda bad but look at hoe many WORSE coaches there are..Jim Caldwell. Marvin Lewis, D. Marrone, Rex Ryan, Jeff Fisher , Todd Bowles, Bill O'brien ( texans suck theyre horribly coached) , Mike McCoy, Jay Gruden is' meh' at best, MacAdon't is no bueno in NYC-completely clueless head coach, their names escape me but Vikings HC and Browns HC are both lousy so bad a proven OC in Norv Turner walks out on minnesota midseason.ouch. then there's Dirk Koetter who is average at best,  Sean Payton hasnt had a winning season in how long now, 4+ years? 

Theres also dopey Chuck Pagano.Chan Gailey Jets OC, Mornhinwheg, bla bla bla.a true lack of quality coaching in the NFL.

Fox took Jake friggin Delhomme to within a play or two of a SB victory..Jake Delhomme..!! 

All these bums in the NFL and yet Mike Shanahan, Billick, and others are sitting on the sidelines..Im sure Coughlin can help stabilize 99% of these teams.but he gets no offers.maybe this wave of owners going after unproven coaches will finally come to an end..it had to end the product on the field is really suffering..

So be careful what you Bears' fans wish for.as a Giants fan Id take Fox over Mcadoo anyday.twice on sundays.

Hoping Harbaugh becomes very unhappy by the end of next season.  I could've stood Fox one more season,  if he had gotten rid of Loggains.  He didn't.  And 2 of their best position coaches left on their own.  It's a sinking ship.  Bears had a chance with both Arians and Gase.  Blew it both times.  I have no faith that they will ever get out of their own way. 

11 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Hoping Harbaugh becomes very unhappy by the end of next season.  I could've stood Fox one more season,  if he had gotten rid of Loggains.  He didn't.  And 2 of their best position coaches left on their own.  It's a sinking ship.  Bears had a chance with both Arians and Gase.  Blew it both times.  I have no faith that they will ever get out of their own way. 

I'm still not sold on Loggains being the OC by the time next season starts.  Just because they said they are retaining the staff doesn't mean he's still going to be the OC.  A lot of things will change before next season.

Sadly,  Fox and Loggains will put any qb we draft a year behind. 

20 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Sadly,  Fox and Loggains will put any qb we draft a year behind. 

Hopefully they won't start him and then we won't have to worry as much.  If they try to start him right away then I think it's a doomed career.

Bears have added ex-Giant WR Rueben Randle.  Not a terrible pick up since it's basically a prove it deal.  I always thought this guy could be good but never lived up to it.  Very surprised to see how young he is yet.

Bears Sign Veteran WR Rueben Randle

January 10, 2017 3:39 PM By Chris Emma

(Getty Images)
Bears receiver Rueben Randle, then with the Giants.
(Getty Images)

By Chris Emma–

(CBS) In need of depth at receiver, the Bears have signed veteran Rueben Randle to a reserve/futures contract.

The 25-year-old Randle is a four-year NFL veteran who has 20 career touchdowns. He last played in 2015, recording 57 catches for 797 yards and a career-best eight touchdowns.

Randle was a second-round selection out of LSU in 2012, playing those four seasons all with the Giants. He did not play in 2016.

The Bears are entering an offseason of uncertainty at receiver. Alshon Jeffery’s contract has expired and his future in Chicago is unknown. Kevin White, the 2015 first-round pick, has finished just three games in a Bears uniform and has underwent two surgeries on his left leg, this year to repair a torn fibula suffered in early October.

Veteran Eddie Royal is a candidate to be cut after two injury-riddled seasons, as is Marquess Wilson. Cameron Meredith, the undrafted rookie in 2015, emerged as the team’s most consistent receiver, and he wasn’t even made active the first two weeks of the season.

Randle will get an opportunity to find his old form with the Bears.

Chris Emma covers the Bears, Chicago’s sports scene and more for CBSChicago.com. Follow him on Twitter @CEmma670 and like his Facebook page.

Chris Emma
Chris Emma serves as 670thescore.com's lead Bears writer and covers much of the rest of the Chicago sports scene for 670 The Score and CBSChicago.com. He previously worked with Scout.com and 247Sports.com. A Geneva native, he now lives in the...

:X Randle won't make the team 

15 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Serious?  You don't think he's better than Bellamy, Royal, Thompson, Wilson or Meredith?  The only one that would be comparable is probably Meredith right now or maybe Wilson when healthy.  The rest are special teams players or just need to retire (Royal).

The guy has some serious talent and is still very young.  He just needs to start over and get his head in the game.  I think he has a very good chance at making the team if he shows he can get the offense down and shows some dedication.

He's only a year older than White and he's younger than Jeffery yet he's played four seasons in the NFL already.  Definitely worth a try.

16 hours ago, flapgreen said:

He got cut from the Eagles and their receivers were atrocious.

5 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

He got cut from the Eagles and their receivers were atrocious.

Have you seen what the Bears have?  We still don't know if Jeffery is going to be on the team next year so what's left?  White has played four games in two years so we have no idea if he's any good yet.  Meredith looked good this year but he's just another WR3 type guy.  Wilson shows talent but can never stay healthy.  Bellamy is a special teams player only.  Thompson showed some flashes but should only be a special teams player.  Royal will most likely be gone.

So what's left?  Randle may still suck but it's not a bad signing by the Bears.  Might as well give him a shot, what do they have to lose?

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Serious?  You don't think he's better than Bellamy, Royal, Thompson, Wilson or Meredith?  The only one that would be comparable is probably Meredith right now or maybe Wilson when healthy.  The rest are special teams players or just need to retire (Royal).

The guy has some serious talent and is still very young.  He just needs to start over and get his head in the game.  I think he has a very good chance at making the team if he shows he can get the offense down and shows some dedication.

He's only a year older than White and he's younger than Jeffery yet he's played four seasons in the NFL already.  Definitely worth a try.

He's got a bad name.  If he was any good,  he wouldn't have been out of the league last year. 

Just now, flapgreen said:

He's got a bad name.  If he was any good,  he wouldn't have been out of the league last year. 

Him being out of the league doesn't really have to do with lack of talent.  It has more to with him being considered a head case and being lazy.  Perhaps a year off has given him a chance to think things over.  If not then the Bears are out nothing.  I don't see a problem with the signing.

No problem with the signing.  Just saying he won't make the team.