flapgreen

*2017 Chicago Bears Thread* WHY?!? 111

1,000 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, flapgreen said:

No problem with the signing.  Just saying he won't make the team. 

OK flap, we get it. You're disappointed and frustrated with the team. But you've gotten to the point of just complaining for complaining's sake, and it's getting very thin. For every complaint you want to post, make a suggestion for improvement. If you can't think of anything, just keep the comment to yourself. Simply complaining serves no purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3nOut said:

OK flap, we get it. You're disappointed and frustrated with the team. But you've gotten to the point of just complaining for complaining's sake, and it's getting very thin. For every complaint you want to post, make a suggestion for improvement. If you can't think of anything, just keep the comment to yourself. Simply complaining serves no purpose.

Point me the way to people with suggestions.  I've done it.  Didn't get a response.  Just others whining about me complaining.  Bring some ideas and discussion! I'm ready 

Edited by flapgreen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2017 at 10:21 AM, flapgreen said:

George is delusional and Fox is a bum,  but Pace seems to know his ####.  I expect them to spend a significant amount of money on the secondary. 

Secondary FA Targets:

Tony Jefferson

Eric Berry

Trumaine Johnson

AJ Bouye

Stephon Gilmore

LB:

Melvin Ingram

Now you can add something if you like 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chandler Jones

Kawan Short

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys I expect to definitely be available.  

Jefferson,  Gilmore,  Bouye,  Ingram.  The other guys listed could stay with their team or leave. We need 2 of these guys. 

Edited by flapgreen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know most are not fans of PFF's rankings and I agree they are not perfect but it's something to go off of.  They ranked the Bear's OL unit 15th overall this year.  Not bad considering their preseason rank was 30th and the injuries they had.  Here's their assessment.

15. Chicago Bears (30)

Top overall grade: C Cody Whitehair, 87.2 (No. 6)

Top pass-blocking grade: G Josh Sitton, 91.2 (No. 3)

Top run-blocking grade: C Cody Whitehair, 82.2 (No. 6)

The Chicago Bears still probably can’t believe their luck—they had the league’s best pass-blocking guard land in their lap shortly before the year when Josh Sitton was cut by the Packers. He showed immediately what an upgrade he could be for the team, and in 468 pass-blocking snaps, he surrendered only six QB hurries. Chicago’s interior was arguably the league’s best, with Kyle Long playing well and rookie Cody Whitehair having an excellent debut season at center, having been a college tackle at Kansas State. The offensive tackle combination of Charles Leno Jr. and Bobby Massie was a different story, however, as the pair combined to surrender 73 total QB pressures and 14 penalties all season, with neither grading well in the run game. Tackle is an area for the Bears to focus on in the offseason, because that interior is alreaady excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good assessment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad seeing these great teams compete at the highest level while the Bears wallow in failure and misery for decades.  Nothing will ever change as long as the McCaskeys are there.  After another failed season,  Fox and Pace will both be gone and over it starts again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well golly gee sports fans - the 4 teams in the championship game all have career QBs - 3 have won super bowls and 2 have won multiple super bowls. Any questions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Sad seeing these great teams compete at the highest level while the Bears wallow in failure and misery for decades.  Nothing will ever change as long as the McCaskeys are there.  After another failed season,  Fox and Pace will both be gone and over it starts again. 

Honestly, I didn't see too many teams compete at the highest level in the first two rounds of the playoffs.  Yesterday was the only day that had competitive games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Power Monster said:

Well golly gee sports fans - the 4 teams in the championship game all have career QBs - 3 have won super bowls and 2 have won multiple super bowls. Any questions?

I don't think anyone will argue that they need a good QB in order to be a good team again but the same questions remains, how do they find him?  Is he going to be their with the third pick?  Is in there in another round?  Is Jimmy G the answer?

Finding a franchise QB has got to be the hardest thing in managing a football team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Nothing will ever change as long as the McCaskeys are there. 

You know this is not true when the Bears won one Super Bowl and competed in another under the McCaskeys. That is far more than the Lions can claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I don't think anyone will argue that they need a good QB in order to be a good team again but the same questions remains, how do they find him?  Is he going to be their with the third pick?  Is in there in another round?  Is Jimmy G the answer?

Finding a franchise QB has got to be the hardest thing in managing a football team.

I don't think the Bears have a clue as to how to find a competent career QB. Pace? He will probably be forced into the blue light special - fill as many holes as possible with the draft. One thing is clear - this draft can potentially make or break this organization for the next ten years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Power Monster said:

I don't think the Bears have a clue as to how to find a competent career QB. Pace? He will probably be forced into the blue light special - fill as many holes as possible with the draft. One thing is clear - this draft can potentially make or break this organization for the next ten years.

This draft won't break them for that long but it could set them back a couple years.  If they traded for Garoppolo then I could see than setting them for a long time.

What I'm not sure about is if they Bears have just made bad draft picks or if they just didn't coach well enough.  Could be both too.

I have more faith in Pace than I've had in any of the past GMs so I'm not worried about the team having a lack of talent going forward.  I'm more concerned about the coaching staff being able to develop certain players the right way.  I like Fangio and trust he'll have that D in the top 10 but the offense always worries me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buck naked said:

You know this is not true when the Bears won one Super Bowl and competed in another under the McCaskeys. That is far more than the Lions can claim.

Uh Halas hired Ditka and Ryan.  The current family fired him.  All but the biggest homers would say this franchise has been a failure since that point.  1 playoff in last 10 years.  Bears have been the worst team in the division during that time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Uh Halas hired Ditka and Ryan.  The current family fired him.  All but the biggest homers would say this franchise has been a failure since that point.  1 playoff in last 10 years.  Bears have been the worst team in the division during that time. 

The Bears have not been the worst team.  The Lions have been the worst team.  That's not saying much but it's true.  In the last 10 years the Bears have 74 wins and the Lions have 63.  The Bears won the division once in that span.  The Lions had the worst season in NFL history in that span also.  The Lions haven't won the division since 1993.  The Vikings have only had 6 more wins than the Bears in the last 10 years as well. 

Other than the Packers the division has just been crap over the last decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The Bears have not been the worst team.  The Lions have been the worst team.  That's not saying much but it's true.  In the last 10 years the Bears have 74 wins and the Lions have 63.  The Bears won the division once in that span.  The Lions had the worst season in NFL history in that span also.  The Lions haven't won the division since 1993.  The Vikings have only had 6 more wins than the Bears in the last 10 years as well. 

Other than the Packers the division has just been crap over the last decade.

And the Lions have 3 playoff appearances.  11 more overall wins is meaningless.  Bears have been mostly awful for 30 years.  They don't get the benefit of the doubt from anyone.  If Pace gets them back into the playoffs,  that's awesome,  but there's no reason to believe the Bears will ever be respectable again until they actually do something.  Piece of garbage organization 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

This draft won't break them for that long but it could set them back a couple years.  If they traded for Garoppolo then I could see than setting them for a long time.

What I'm not sure about is if they Bears have just made bad draft picks or if they just didn't coach well enough.  Could be both too.

I have more faith in Pace than I've had in any of the past GMs so I'm not worried about the team having a lack of talent going forward.  I'm more concerned about the coaching staff being able to develop certain players the right way.  I like Fangio and trust he'll have that D in the top 10 but the offense always worries me.

Won't break them for that long!?  They're already broken!  Coming off the worst season in franchise history and one playoff appearance in 10 years.  How much more broken can you get? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flapgreen said:

Won't break them for that long!?  They're already broken!  Coming off the worst season in franchise history and one playoff appearance in 10 years.  How much more broken can you get? 

What I meant is that failing on their first round draft pick this year isn't going to set the team back years.  It could possibly keep them where they're at for a couple more years but most likely they will be back to an average team when they stay healthy.  They won't be able to make that next level until they get a good QB.

I feel like you dwell on the past way too much.  Yes, they have been bad and gotten worse.  Not much left to do but get better so why not focus on that.  I didn't think the Cubs would ever win the World Series but the right people came in and turned things around.  It will eventually happen with the Bears too, just not sure when.

I really hope that Pace and Fox build a really talented team.  Once Fox fails to win with them he retires or gets fires and Pace hires the right coach to win with the talent he's built up.  As much as Fox and disappointed me I still think he knows how to build up a talented team.  I just don't think he knows how to coach the team on game day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team is pathetic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Team is pathetic 

Yes, we know.  You keep saying that like it's going to magically make something happen.  I hope you're not this negative about everything.  Lets talk about how to improve things.  Lets discuss what they will do to turn things around next season.

What do you want the Bears to do with their first pick this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team needs:

Qb

2 safeties 

2 Cbs

TE 

Edge

5T

Possibly WR

2 Tackles 

OLB

 

And those are just starting positions.  Not even counting depth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Team needs:

Qb

2 safeties 

2 Cbs

TE 

Edge

5T

Possibly WR

2 Tackles 

OLB

 

And those are just starting positions.  Not even counting depth

You're right.  Now how would you go about filling those needs.  We have FA and the draft.  They are going to need to make some major additions in FA because there are not enough draft picks at the moment.  I'd love to see them find a way to gain a couple more picks.  I'm not sure it's possible but I really hope they can find a way to turn Cutler into a draft pick, even if it's only a 6th or 7th round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't know.  Without a qb,  we could fill all of the other spots at once and still struggle.  I expect Pace to go big in FA and in draft on secondary.  Awful awful secondary.  Will be impossible to fill 10 starting spots in one off season.  Up to Pace to figure out which ones he will fill.  I'm thinking he gets a top safety and cb in free agency.  Maybe Jefferson/Berry and Bouye/Gilmore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poe will probably be available as well.  Would beef up the dl.  I think kc will let Poe walk and re-sign Berry. 

Edited by flapgreen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Team is pathetic 

Serious question. Why do you continue to be a Bears fan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KCitons said:

Serious question. Why do you continue to be a Bears fan?

Awful organization.  I can state the truth. It's OK.  They are. 

Edited by flapgreen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flapgreen said:

Awful organization.  I can state the truth. It's OK.  They are. 

Something I've learned in my line of work. The more people repeat themselves, the greater chance they are lying. They just haven't convinced themselves yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joke.  Everyone laughs at this organization.  Or pities them.  But why do the McCaskeys care.  Not hurting their wallets.  If it did,  they wouldn't have been this bad for this long.  Start taking their money away and #### would go down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3rd season into a rebuild and likely 3rd straight losing season and last in division.  Not acceptable under any circumstances in the NFL. Totally different in baseball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

3rd season into a rebuild and likely 3rd straight losing season and last in division.  Not acceptable under any circumstances in the NFL. Totally different in baseball. 

I know no one likes to blame a bad season on injuries but I don't care, they make a huge difference.  I'm a firm believer the Bears would have won at least 4 more games if they were close to full strength.  Even with a 3 win season I still see plenty of positives to get me excited for the next season.  I see a defense that is improving and has a great coordinator.  I see an OL that keeps improving.  I see a surprise stud RB.

Upgrade that secondary, keep adding a couple offensive weapons and get a QB.  The QB part is the hardest to fix and will be the key to the Bears success.  They need to draft a QB in the first or second round this year and pray that he can do well in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This season was bad. There were things to see within it and reasons to have some hope but it was a #### show. Any other reaction is just lying to yourself.

The running game showed promise. Howard was undeniably good and while we could use some offensive line reinforcement, I think we could be be competent with a stronger offense overall so the opposing defense isn't so fresh. Our own defense showed some good stuff too. Injuries kept them down but I liked what we could see of the front 7. Our depth is an issue overall though.

We need secondary help like no other, we need a qb and we probably will need additional o-line and wr help if we don't keep Jeffrey. I would personally love to see the Bears take a day 2 QB and lure themselves Tyrod Taylor or even Colin Kaepernick as a stop gap while we see if the draftee works out for us. 1st round Bears could probably just take best player available but secondary should be the priority. Flap keeps saying to try and get Berry, that would be great. If health permits, we have a shot to make a jump next year but we're on very shaky ground with our depth no matter what

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They came out with the all rookie team for the year and the Bears have three players on it.  I'd say that's a pretty successful draft class.

2016 PFWA ALL-ROOKIE TEAM



Offense

QB – Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys

RB – Ezekiel Elliott, Dallas Cowboys; Jordan Howard, Chicago Bears

WR – Sterling Shepard, New York Giants; Michael Thomas, New Orleans Saints

TE – Hunter Henry, San Diego Chargers

C – Cody Whitehair, Chicago Bears

G – Joe Thuney, New England Patriots; Laremy Tunsil, Miami Dolphins

T – Jack Conklin, Tennessee Titans; Taylor Decker, Detroit Lions



Defense

DL – Joey Bosa, San Diego Chargers; DeForest Buckner, San Francisco 49ers; Chris Jones, Kansas City Chiefs; Yannick Ngakoue, Jacksonville Jaguars

LB – Jatavis Brown, San Diego Chargers; Leonard Floyd, Chicago Bears; Deion Jones, Atlanta Falcons

CB – Vernon Hargreaves III, Tampa Bay Buccaneers; Jalen Ramsey, Jacksonville Jaguars

S – Karl Joseph, Oakland Raiders; Keanu Neal, Atlanta Falcons



Special Teams

PK – Wil Lutz, New Orleans Saints

P – Riley Dixon, Denver Broncos

KR – Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs

PR – Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs

ST – Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a positive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gabes1919 said:

This season was bad. There were things to see within it and reasons to have some hope but it was a #### show. Any other reaction is just lying to yourself.

The running game showed promise. Howard was undeniably good and while we could use some offensive line reinforcement, I think we could be be competent with a stronger offense overall so the opposing defense isn't so fresh. Our own defense showed some good stuff too. Injuries kept them down but I liked what we could see of the front 7. Our depth is an issue overall though.

We need secondary help like no other, we need a qb and we probably will need additional o-line and wr help if we don't keep Jeffrey. I would personally love to see the Bears take a day 2 QB and lure themselves Tyrod Taylor or even Colin Kaepernick as a stop gap while we see if the draftee works out for us. 1st round Bears could probably just take best player available but secondary should be the priority. Flap keeps saying to try and get Berry, that would be great. If health permits, we have a shot to make a jump next year but we're on very shaky ground with our depth no matter what

The majority of Bears fans are disgusted.  Some seem to think you should change teams if you're unhappy with the organization.  There wouldn't be many fans left if everyone did that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, KCitons said:

Something I've learned in my line of work. The more people repeat themselves, the greater chance they are lying. They just haven't convinced themselves yet. 

Good thing this is a football message board and not your job. The majority of Bears fans are disgusted with this organization.  No one is lying about it.  Pay attention 

Edited by flapgreen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No sense in checking into this thread anymore. It's just the same thing every day. 

I'll wait for the 2017 in season thread to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our draft direction may come down to who we can get via free agency. Would we rather want Tyrod or Glennon and Allen at #3, or whoever the best FA DE is and either Watson or Kiser at #3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3nOut said:

Our draft direction may come down to who we can get via free agency. Would we rather want Tyrod or Glennon and Allen at #3, or whoever the best FA DE is and either Watson or Kiser at #3.

I really like Tyrod.  Has put up good numbers and is still young and should be a reasonable price.  Draft a qb if they see one they like.  If they don't,  stick with Tyrod and draft one next year.  So much to happen between now and draft.  I really have no idea.  If no qb at 3, then get the best defensive player available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 3nOut said:

Our draft direction may come down to who we can get via free agency. Would we rather want Tyrod or Glennon and Allen at #3, or whoever the best FA DE is and either Watson or Kiser at #3.

Tyrod and Allen. Or, if the Bears could trade down and get more picks to address their many needs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member