What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (26 Viewers)

flapgreen

Footballguy
Let's hope and pray ownershiphas a change of heart between now and tomorrow and gets rid of Fox. Worst season in Bears history finishing with 2 straight blowouts.

Last edited:
One of the many problems with Fox staying is that it could cost Pace his job if and when the next season is another mess.   Fangio is definitely not coming back. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you be starting threads for the other underachieving teams? It just seems odd that a non Bears fan would go out of his way to discuss the team he no longer cares about.  :P

Will you be starting threads for the other underachieving teams? It just seems odd that a non Bears fan would go out of his way to discuss the team he no longer cares about.  :P
He's just deciding which faultily-run, underachieving team he wants to root for next.  He's not loyal enough to be a Browns fan.  Jacksonville maybe?

John Elway after the "departure" of Fox: "We haven't consistently played well for 60 min."

Sound familiar from the last 2 years? 

Malik Hooker declared.  Should be at top of Bears list at #3. Guy is awesome and the exact type of guy Bears need in secondary. 

The offensive line actually performed well even with injuries, and I'm guessing all five of 2017 starters are currently on the roster. 

Stud at RB

WR will be a huge ? if they don't bring Alshon back. 

Trade the second round pick for Jimmy G, pray that he is a franchise QB, and draft a defensive monster with the 3rd pick in the draft. I really don't see this team being that far away from being competitive, and I think Pace has a plan that will look better and better come next fall. 

#Browns HC Hue Jackson, on expected invitation to coach in @seniorbowl :  "I’ll jump. I’m there. Yessir."

Fox on Senior Bowl: "I really can’t comment other than you get a chance to watch guys and work with the guys almost like training camp." ...

Fox on Senior Bowl (cont.): "So, I see the benefits but I really can’t speak too much to that because I haven’t done it before.”

Look at this guy! 

BoulderBob said:
The offensive line actually performed well even with injuries, and I'm guessing all five of 2017 starters are currently on the roster. 

Stud at RB

WR will be a huge ? if they don't bring Alshon back. 

Trade the second round pick for Jimmy G, pray that he is a franchise QB, and draft a defensive monster with the 3rd pick in the draft. I really don't see this team being that far away from being competitive, and I think Pace has a plan that will look better and better come next fall. 
A team without a qb,  TE  tackles worth a damn,  an entire secondary, a consistent pass rush,   and a decent coaching staff,  is further away than you think. 

9-23 in 2 seasons.  3-13 this season.  No qb.  Nothing that says they're close. 

Three-straight double-digit loss seasons and last place finishes, nine time in 10 years no playoffs. 

Seriously one of the worst franchises in the league 

If they keep Fox then it won't matter,  but I'm fine seeing McPhee go.  Can't stay healthy and owed 8 million this year.  Talks a lot of #### and doesn't back it up. 

9-23 in 2 seasons.  3-13 this season.  No qb.  Nothing that says they're close. 

Three-straight double-digit loss seasons and last place finishes, nine time in 10 years no playoffs. 

Seriously one of the worst franchises in the league 
If they weren't decimated by injuries they would have had a few more wins at least.

They great thing about the NFL is a team can drastically turn around in a year or two.  All it takes is some key players and good coaching.  The Bears just seem to make it look harder than it should be though.

One of the many problems with Fox staying is that it could cost Pace his job if and when the next season is another mess.   Fangio is definitely not coming back. 
Actually I think the opposite, I think it buys Pace another year to stock the team, I think he still has the chance to play they, "hey I hired the guy you wanted me to hire and it didn't work out, let me hire my guy and you'll see things change" card.

Yeah, that pisses me off if true, but they still could be working on something behind the scenes and waiting to see who is available.  I'm sure guys like McCoy who could be good coordinators don't want to commit at this time because they still hope to get some HC interviews.  It may be a couple weeks before those guys go, "well, no HC jobs coming my way, let's see if anyone wants a new coordinator".

One time Fox keeping quiet is a good thing because you don't want to upset the ship before your next plan is ready.

I wouldn't trust anything the organization says right now.  There are way too many things that can happen this off season yet.

Don't trust them,  but if they were going to make a big change,  odds are that it would've been done before now.  Coordinators are already setting up interviews. 

flapgreen said:
Don't trust them,  but if they were going to make a big change,  odds are that it would've been done before now.  Coordinators are already setting up interviews. 
I wouldn't get too worried yet.  There will be some opportunities.  I won't believe they will have the same staff in place until I see it in a few months.  Too many things can happen in the next month.

Love the enthusiasm in the title. 

Chicago needs to go get Romo. Hold onto Alshon. Would instantly make this team better. Draft for defense and OL. 

Love the enthusiasm in the title. 

Chicago needs to go get Romo. Hold onto Alshon. Would instantly make this team better. Draft for defense and OL. 
Why would they get Romo?  I don't think that makes any sense.  I could see if they had all the pieces in place at other positions but Romo does nothing for them short or long term other than cost more money.

I agree that they need to retain Jeffery.

Secondary improvement is a must.

Pass rushing improvement is a must.

OT help and OL depth is a must.

Getting a QB in the first 3 rounds is a must.

Getting a TE is a must.

Some of these need to be addressed in the draft and some can be addressed through FA.  They need to draft a QB regardless though.

Why would they get Romo?  I don't think that makes any sense.  I could see if they had all the pieces in place at other positions but Romo does nothing for them short or long term other than cost more money.

I agree that they need to retain Jeffery.

Secondary improvement is a must.

Pass rushing improvement is a must.

OT help and OL depth is a must.

Getting a QB in the first 3 rounds is a must.

Getting a TE is a must.

Some of these need to be addressed in the draft and some can be addressed through FA.  They need to draft a QB regardless though.
They need to draft a QB regardless, but the problem is this: You move forward with Barkley or Cutler and what happens when either starts to falter... you end up bringing in your rookie way too early and he can get "ruined." I really think Chicago is an ideal fit for Romo because he can step in and immediately make them a potential playoff team. He adds stability at a position short term while they let a rookie develop. 

Either that or they go get Glennon and experiment there, but then they cannot draft a QB very high and end up with a controversy (and waste that much investment on 1 position)

I think Romo buys them 1-2 years as a competent QB letting a younger guy (Kizer???) develop. Why even keep Jeffery if you're not going to invest in a QB now. By the time a rookie QB is anything worth anything Jeffery is going to be in the final years of his new deal affecting your salary cap to an extent where you can't build around your QB as well. 

If you think Barkley is the answer for now, or Cutler, or if there's a QB worth coming in and starting midway through the year then yes, a plan of keeping Jeffery makes sense. I think it's better having a rookie sit for a year and learn; do it the right way. 

Getting Romo presents the same exact problems you stated could happen with keeping Cutler or Barkley.  Romo is a liability.  His odds of getting hurt are very high and he's not even that much better than Cutler.  They would be better off keeping any two of Cutler, Hoyer and Barkley.  The only reason most fans want Cutler gone is just because they are tired of him.  That's not the best reason to move on from a guy.  Cutler is already under contract and can offer the same that Romo can.

They should role with two of their current QBs, draft Garrett or Allen if available in the first and then draft a QB in the second round if a decent one is there.  Chances are one of the top 4 QBs is going to drop to the Bears in the second round.

Getting Romo presents the same exact problems you stated could happen with keeping Cutler or Barkley.  Romo is a liability.  His odds of getting hurt are very high and he's not even that much better than Cutler.  They would be better off keeping any two of Cutler, Hoyer and Barkley.  The only reason most fans want Cutler gone is just because they are tired of him.  That's not the best reason to move on from a guy.  Cutler is already under contract and can offer the same that Romo can.

They should role with two of their current QBs, draft Garrett or Allen if available in the first and then draft a QB in the second round if a decent one is there.  Chances are one of the top 4 QBs is going to drop to the Bears in the second round.
I cannot even believe I'm having this debate... You do realize that Romo's worst season starting at least 13 games (3500/26/13 in 2008) is Cutler's best of his career (4500/25/18 in 2008).

TD:INT Ratio: Cutler 1.4 Romo 2.1
Career Passing Yards; Cutler 32467, Romo 34183
Completion Percentage: 61.9, Romo 65.3
Career QB Rating: Cutler 85.7, Romo 97.1

Besides all that yeah I guess they are twins...

Cutler can be cut without any real long term cap issues. Romo would be expensive and a potential liability, especially since he's been hurt 2 years but those were for back issues, unpredictable. I think he still has 1-2 years of probowl play left. He immediately upgrades the bears offense way above what Chicago has ever had at QB over the last 15 years. 

I do agree with your draft assessment. But I think SF and CLE will have the same mentality... wait until round 2. Especially CLE. Garrett is going 1.01

Romo literally has the body of an old man.  His back issues are serious and so is his collar bone.  You don't have to debate that Romo has been the better QB over their careers, I already know that.  I don't care what Romo did I care about what he can offer in the future and I don't think it's enough for the Bears.  If they can get Romo dirt cheap then go ahead but that's not likely going to happen.  I do think he could offer some good leadership though, just not sure he can play a fulls season.

Regardless of anything we are saying, why the hell would he want to come to Chicago?  Wouldn't he want to try and win a SB again?  He won't have a chance to do that in Chicago.

As for the Browns and Niners, I'm sure they are thinking the same as the Bears but I really think one of them takes a QB and that's all it takes for one of the DE's to drop to the Bears.  I don't think Garrett and Allen go 1 and 2.

I feel bad for flap just reading this thread.

look at the bright side.... either Trubisky or Kizer should be there for you and if not than you got away with murder and got the best player in the draft in Garrett

Actually, Romo is MUCH better than Cutler......big upgrade IF he could stay healthy.....that's a big if, and Chicago is a dumpster fire......Romo to Denver makes way more sense.

Putting Tony Romo (aka Glass Joe) behind the Bears offensive line sounds like a great way to keep him healthy. I'll pass. 

Romo literally has the body of an old man.  His back issues are serious and so is his collar bone.  You don't have to debate that Romo has been the better QB over their careers, I already know that.  I don't care what Romo did I care about what he can offer in the future and I don't think it's enough for the Bears.  If they can get Romo dirt cheap then go ahead but that's not likely going to happen.  I do think he could offer some good leadership though, just not sure he can play a fulls season.

Regardless of anything we are saying, why the hell would he want to come to Chicago?  Wouldn't he want to try and win a SB again?  He won't have a chance to do that in Chicago.

As for the Browns and Niners, I'm sure they are thinking the same as the Bears but I really think one of them takes a QB and that's all it takes for one of the DE's to drop to the Bears.  I don't think Garrett and Allen go 1 and 2.
False. His collar bone is not a serious issue. It's fine. It was broken, and it was a serious issue, but it is fine now. And his back issues are concerning but not serious. You guys had no problem having Urlacher play a more dangerous position with a more serious back injury for many years. 

I think Romo does come pretty cheap. I think he can be had for a 4-5th round pick. And he would come to Chicago because it's the perfect fit. Other than Houston, Chicago is the next best team that needs a QB but has players already in that offense that can succeed. 

Those saying Chicago's OL isn't a good idea for Romo. Sure 2016 line. But what is 2017's line going to look like? I would imagine better. I remember 2015 or maybe it was 14 where I made a comment in a Chicago thread about the OL not being good and someone came out and bragged about how awesome their OL was being completely remade. I would certainly hope Chicago would make some changes at OL and would be much better for 2017 if I'm a Bear's fan. 

Romo will likely to go Houston or Chicago because they rae teams that can be playoff contenders immediately with his presence. I don't think Houston does it because of Romo's contract; they just can't afford two QBs being paid like starters. So Chicago is the next best. I know you guys don't want him, obviously, but everything I'm hearing is pointing to Chicago for Romo. 

False. His collar bone is not a serious issue. It's fine. It was broken, and it was a serious issue, but it is fine now. And his back issues are concerning but not serious. You guys had no problem having Urlacher play a more dangerous position with a more serious back injury for many years. 

I think Romo does come pretty cheap. I think he can be had for a 4-5th round pick. And he would come to Chicago because it's the perfect fit. Other than Houston, Chicago is the next best team that needs a QB but has players already in that offense that can succeed. 

Those saying Chicago's OL isn't a good idea for Romo. Sure 2016 line. But what is 2017's line going to look like? I would imagine better. I remember 2015 or maybe it was 14 where I made a comment in a Chicago thread about the OL not being good and someone came out and bragged about how awesome their OL was being completely remade. I would certainly hope Chicago would make some changes at OL and would be much better for 2017 if I'm a Bear's fan. 

Romo will likely to go Houston or Chicago because they rae teams that can be playoff contenders immediately with his presence. I don't think Houston does it because of Romo's contract; they just can't afford two QBs being paid like starters. So Chicago is the next best. I know you guys don't want him, obviously, but everything I'm hearing is pointing to Chicago for Romo. 
This is not the history I want for my new QB.

FRISCO, Texas -- Tony Romo is looking at his fourth straight season of missing at least one start as the Dallas Cowboys' quarterback.

Romo, 36, has started 16 games in four of his nine full seasons as the Cowboys' starter. He took over in Week 7 of the 2006 season and started 55 of the next 58 games. In 2011 and '12, he started every game as well.

In 2011, he suffered a broken rib and punctured lung against the San Francisco 49ers, but he did not miss a game.

Here is a look at Romo's injuries over the years that have forced him to miss games:

2008 -- Broken right pinkie finger. He missed three games that ultimately cost the Cowboys a chance at making the playoffs. They went 1-2 without Romo and lost a winner-take-all season finale at the Philadelphia Eagles. After that game, Romo collapsed in the shower because of a rib injury.

Entering this season Tony Romo had started 16 games in just four of his nine full seasons as the Dallas Cowboys' starter. Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports
2010 -- Broken left collarbone. He suffered the injury in the first half against the New York Giants when fullback Chris Gronkowski failed to pick up linebacker Michael Boley. Romo missed 10 games but was not placed on injured reserve until the second-to-last week of the season. The Cowboys went 5-5 in Romo's absence with Jon Kitna winning four times and Stephen McGee once.

2013 -- Ruptured disk. Romo missed a winner-take-all meeting in Week 17 against the Eagles after undergoing a discectomy two days before the game. Romo actually suffered the injury in a thrilling 24-23 win against the Washington Redskins in which he delivered the game-winning touchdown pass on fourth down. With Kyle Orton starting, the Cowboys lost to the Eagles 24-22.

2014 -- Two transverse process fractures. He missed the Nov. 2 meeting against the Arizona Cardinals after he was kneed in the back by Washington linebacker Keenan Robinson. He returned for the final two series after X-rays were negative. Brandon Weeden started against the Cardinals, and the Cowboys lost 28-17.

2015 -- Broken left collarbone. Romo suffered the injury in the second game of the season when he was sacked by Eagles linebacker Jordan Hicks, who landed on top of him in the third quarter. The Cowboys beat Philadelphia but lost the next seven games with Weeden and Matt Cassel as their starting quarterbacks.

2015 -- Broken left collarbone. In his second game back, Romo was knocked out on the final play of the third quarter, when he was sacked by Carolina Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis. While Romo's previous fractures had healed, he suffered a re-break in the healed portion. He missed the final five games of the season. The Cowboys won just once (at Washington) without Romo all season.

2016 -- Compression fracture, L1 vertebra. On the third play of Thursday's preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks, Romo was driven into the turf while sliding by defensive end Cliff Avril. After the game, Romo said he felt good and Jerry Jones said he expected Romo to be ready for the regular-season opener. Romo had an MRI on Friday, which showed the break. A source said he is looking at a 6-10 week recovery period. Rookie Dak Prescott will start in Romo's absence.

I will admit that Romo is better than Cutler but that's not saying a whole lot.  I'm not sure I agree with people saying he's MUCH better.  I just don't see a whole lot of benefits for the Bears to get Romo.

2008 -- Broken right pinkie finger - not an issue. Many QBs break fingers. WRs too

2010 -- Broken left collarbone.  - see below

2013 -- Ruptured disk. - honestly not a big deal

2014 -- Two transverse process fractures. - healed

2015 -- Broken left collarbone. - see comments below outside of quote

2015 -- Broken left collarbone. - the only reason this broke again is because he was rushed back

2016 -- Compression fracture, L1 vertebra. - not a huge issue depending on some factors
See my remarks above.

The only thing that stands out is his broken collar bones because he was rushed back in 2015 and it was not healed. I can dig up my remarks about Rodgers' collar bone when he broke his and how I did not think it was wise for him to rush back. For this very reason. The fact that he did this 2 separate years is coincidental or possibly how he falls to the ground. Some people know how to fall better than others. Favre was great at knowing how to fall. 

Ulracher had a spinal fusion. That is much much worse than anything that Romo has above. He played for 2-3 seasons with this with Chicago. And did quite well. 

His collar bone is a concern because it was fractured twice in one year, but he's had ample healing time. I would not be concerned about it unless he had osteoporosis or did not have it healed. Which I'm sure it's been x-rayed a million times... 

Yes, it's a riddled history. Romo is not known for being healthy, but I would take that injury history over Cutler's. Guy pulls a vulva muscle and he's out for 4 weeks. Remember when he faked a knee injury and quit on the team? at least Romo's breaks, fractures, and ruptures are legitimate. 

Do what??

No way Cowboys get rid of a "win now" calibre QB for a 4th or 5th. He doesn't cost them that much more to keep, and if Bradford brought a first as bad as he is, no way Romo brings less than an early second, and I would bet it ends up being a first through some trade combination. 

See my remarks above.

The only thing that stands out is his broken collar bones because he was rushed back in 2015 and it was not healed. I can dig up my remarks about Rodgers' collar bone when he broke his and how I did not think it was wise for him to rush back. For this very reason. The fact that he did this 2 separate years is coincidental or possibly how he falls to the ground. Some people know how to fall better than others. Favre was great at knowing how to fall. 

Ulracher had a spinal fusion. That is much much worse than anything that Romo has above. He played for 2-3 seasons with this with Chicago. And did quite well. 

His collar bone is a concern because it was fractured twice in one year, but he's had ample healing time. I would not be concerned about it unless he had osteoporosis or did not have it healed. Which I'm sure it's been x-rayed a million times... 

Yes, it's a riddled history. Romo is not known for being healthy, but I would take that injury history over Cutler's. Guy pulls a vulva muscle and he's out for 4 weeks. Remember when he faked a knee injury and quit on the team? at least Romo's breaks, fractures, and ruptures are legitimate. 
Please don't talk to me like you know the Bear's history.  I've always liked Cutler and respected his talent but I'm ready to be done with the Cutler era like most Bear's fans.  Don't take this as me being a Cutler homer but you are up your a** if you honestly believe Cutler faked a knee injury in the playoffs.  He had a legit MCL sprain.  I've sprained my MCL before and it sucks.  There are a lot of negative things said about Cutler, even in the locker room, but I have yet to hear one player or coach say he's quit the team.  He's considered to be one of the toughest players on the team.

Do what??

No way Cowboys get rid of a "win now" calibre QB for a 4th or 5th. He doesn't cost them that much more to keep, and if Bradford brought a first as bad as he is, no way Romo brings less than an early second, and I would bet it ends up being a first through some trade combination. 
No one is giving up a second round pick for a 37 year old, injury prone QB.  Bradford has a bad injury history too but at least he has age on his side.

Are they going to franchise Alshon again? Why would he sign a long term deal with a rebuilding franchise? 

Do what??

No one is giving up a second round pick for a 37 year old, injury prone QB.  Bradford has a bad injury history too but at least he has age on his side.
Two reasons:
1. Market. There isn't a big market for a 37 year old QB who just sat an entire season behind a rookie. Vikings were desperate for a QB the week before the season started when they were in a "win now" season. I laughed out loud when I heard what the Vikings gave up. It was a joke.  
2. Cowboys don't need him. He's quiet now, sure, being the team player he needs to be. But I can bet you once their season is over and the dust has settled he's saying "Trade me"

Vikings got a QB they can have for 10 years if they wanted. Romo isn't going to play more than 1-2 more quality seasons. That has value. And it's not a second or first round pick. 

Please don't talk to me like you know the Bear's history.  I've always liked Cutler and respected his talent but I'm ready to be done with the Cutler era like most Bear's fans.  Don't take this as me being a Cutler homer but you are up your a** if you honestly believe Cutler faked a knee injury in the playoffs.  He had a legit MCL sprain.  I've sprained my MCL before and it sucks.  There are a lot of negative things said about Cutler, even in the locker room, but I have yet to hear one player or coach say he's quit the team.  He's considered to be one of the toughest players on the team.
He looked fine walking his dog the next morning. Just saying. I've seen and treated MCL injuries. Those patients don't move like he did

The guy sits out more than any other player in the league for little injuries. His finger hurts. His knee is sore. His feelings are hurt. I'd rather have a QB who wants to play rather than a QB who is playing until he can get hurt again. To each their own. I guess that's why Chicago is where they are... that kind of behavior is tolerated and is okay. If he's the toughest player on the team then I'm with Flapper here: franchise doomed

Users who are viewing this thread