What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (14 Viewers)

I read the knock on Callahan was lack of durability and it did seem like he was always getting banged up towards the end of the year. Skrine is a stopgap until a younger corner steps up.

At least he’s quick from one article I saw.  Perhaps with better coaching he’ll quit with the stupid penalties that Jets fans mentioned.  I’m prepared to see Skrine laundry anyway.

Like the Marvin Hall pickup; another burner to potentially return both punts & kicks as a diceroll sub or play an occasional wildcard role on offense.

White was snakebitten, but my man Wims is gonna elevate to hopefully at least be rostered weekly.  As we saw in preseason and in one reg. season game last year, he has a special skillset with great hands, positioning and body control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy... I knew the Howard trade was coming, but I was thinking at least a 4th or 5th this year for him.  A 2020 6th or 5th isn't very exciting. 

I hope Chicago has their eye on a Free Agent.  I don't want the bears to HAVE to be locked into a RB in the draft. 

• Thinking
Reactions: -X-
Spencer Ware is out there, and has prior experience with Nagy.
I've calmed down a bit since the news broke. I'm still really bugged that we created another hole in the roster and didn't add draft capital to fill it this season. 

I'm looking at the cap space and available free agents left and it just seems like RB is a FA area for me.  Ware and Yeldon would be nice fits.  If we want to wait until after the draft, I don't totally hate a guy like Buck Allen who can do a little bit of everything. 

The fact is that the team NEEDS another RB, OL depth, OLB depth, another safety, fullback and long snapper.

Team could really use another veteran WR, kicking competition and backup nose tackle. 

I know we have guys like Wims and Nall in the wings waiting, but I won't feel comfortable with them until they get game tested. 

Ditto.  Howard is two years younger than Mike Davis...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/mike-davis?id=2552607

Guess Nagy would rather have smaller, more compact backs who can catch.  Howard seemed to have made progress in catching the ball, but...  Whatever.  

The writing’s been on the wall for months.  Just the return is a bit light based on his production when used to his strengths (bellcow downhill runner).

I've kinda hated this entire offseason for Chicago, it just doesn't feel like they have a plan, and just doing things willy-nilly.

I'm ok with re-signing Massie. He's a decent RT, nothing special, but dependable. Wouldn't have been my top priority, but nice to keep around.

I don't get letting Callahan or Amos walk, when they were both very affordable. Especially when they sign Cordarrelle Patterson, Buster Skrine (who likely won't even  win the nickel job over McManis) and Clinton-Dix, which will cancel out the comp pick they would have gotten for Amos. 

I don't get signing Davis and trading Howard. Best case scenario, that is a sideways move for more money. 

Why not just re-sign Massie, Callahan, and Amos, and keep Howard? 

Davis/Skrine/Haha cost 11.5 milion

Howard/Callahan/Amos cost 16.6 million

Cordarrelle Patterson cost 5 million, which makes the money spent essentially equal. Is he worth downgrading at least 2, and likely 3 positions?

If you look at something like letting Amos go and replacing with HaHa at 6 million cheaper, that in itself isn't a bad move, but these multiple signings that cancel out a comp pick or 2, just seem to indicate that Pace doesn't have a real plan at all. The team is still very good, and likely still the favorite in the division, especially if some of the younger players continue to develop, but just staying put would have given them a better chance at being a Super Bowl contender or even favorite, and they didn't even save money overall while letting 2 very good defensive backs walk out the door.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Yeah, not to thrilled about this. An idiot like John fox was able to get 2 1000 yard seasons out of Jordan Howard, now our offensive genius coach can't figure out how to get yards with him, trades him for nothing and leaves our backfield with an undersized amazing playmaker and a bunch of trash.

We shall see.  Since we have no early picks, I didn’t even bother watching any of the combine.

Guess Nagy and Pagano want players that fit better in their scheme.

Amos was good; he had a subpar game overall vs. PHI, but did have that INT to keep us in the game.

Kicking game flagellations have been maddening and there was talk recently we may draft one of the college stud kickers.  Yikes.

I'm not sure I understand the rush to dump Howard just to salvage a 6th rounder. I guess it's something. I also don't quite get the money they gave Davis unless he really is their guy and expect meaningful carries from him vs. just a depth guy. More $ than Howard. More than Hyde and Crowell for that matter. Burning one of their first two picks on a meh RB class doesn't seem to smart either. My guess is that they are planning on using Patterson more at RB than even the Pats did. I doubt they'd pay him $5 mil a year to return a few kicks and be a WR 4-5.

Callahan couldn't stay healthy. Amos isn't a big loss. Howard wasn't a fit in the current system and was not good last year. The Bears took what they could get for him.  If they could only get a 6th for him, it shows where the rest of the league values Howard as well.   I'm not exactly thrilled with the offseason either, but this is usually what it looks like when you already have a loaded roster. 

This is a football move.

Jordan Howard is a downfield runner, but Chicago's run game is build on horizontal stretches. They need a quicker RB back there to execute. Howard got tackled by backside pursuit often....he averaged 3.7 YPC last year. Also, Chicago's offense was much more predictable when he was in the game because he's not a receiving threat. Cohen and Davis are both much quicker and have the pass catching prowess to keep defenses guessing. I enjoyed Howard while he was in Chicago and glad he outperformed his 5th round pick status. But having a different RB back there will help the entire offense much more.

Do they draft a RB? Maybe. Nall and even Patterson can be back there as well.

If you think about RB long term, Jordan Howard isn't the guy. Would you rather spend a 3rd round rookie pick this year in a weak RB class or a 2nd round pick in a stacked RB class? I sure hope they draft an Edge, DB, OL with their top picks and wait on RB for 1 more year. If they get desperate, sign Yeldon.

Callahan couldn't stay healthy. Amos isn't a big loss. Howard wasn't a fit in the current system and was not good last year. The Bears took what they could get for him.  If they could only get a 6th for him, it shows where the rest of the league values Howard as well.   I'm not exactly thrilled with the offseason either, but this is usually what it looks like when you already have a loaded roster. 
Exactly. When PK is your biggest concern you’re in good shape. 

Biabreakable said:
Film Study Part 2: Comparing Clinton-Dix and Amos’ Defensive Fits

I found this interesting as the author seems to think Dix is a poor tackler and not as good as Amos in that area. He seems to think Deon Bush might play over Dix.
I think it would be a huge surprise if Bush played over Dix, that said, I think this thread, and Bears fans in general, really underrate how good Amos was. He wasn't flashy but he was a glue guy, in that he did a masterful job of keeping everything together in the back end, much like Devin McCourty does in New England. Amos' ability to do all the little things, and the dirty work in the box, is part of what allowed Eddie Jackson to be arguably the best DB in the NFL last season, because he had the freedom to make big plays.

Clinton-Dix is an underrated tackler in my opinion. Truthfully, last year was probably the first time the Packers used him properly, as more of an in the box safety. That was likely because Burnett couldn't be trusted to be a centerfielder type, where as Dix was decent at it, but it was never his strength. HaHa was possibly the Packers 2nd best defensive player last year, behind Kenny Clark, when they traded him last year, and it was because he was finally being used to his strength. Then Washington put him back as a centerfielder type, and his play dipped. Chicago obviously won't make that mistake, as they have possibly the best guy in the NFL at that(depending on Earl Thomas' health) so I expect Clinton-Dix to be better in Chicago to be better than he ever was in Washington or Green Bay, other than maybe the first part of 2018.

All that said, this is going to be a noticeable downgrade, and the author is correct that HaHa is not as good a tackler as Amos. 

Really like them getting Lynch back. They'll be fine at rb.  Cohen, Davis, rookie

Cunningham had fewer RB snaps & touches last year than Taquan Mizzell or Cordarrelle Patterson. Not that relevant to the backfield.

Davis, Cohen, Patterson, Nall, and Mizzell leaves the Bears backfield in a similar place to where it was last year. They lost about 200 RB snaps and 100 carries on net (since Davis hasn't had as big a workload as Howard), but the guys who they have could easily absorb those snaps & carries. They're in a place where they can get by this year with the guys that they have at RB, and they could make use of more talent if they find it. If an RB is one of the best players available when they're on the clock then they can use him, and if not then they can go with some other position.

I'm happy cunningham moved on.  I never really cared for the guy.  Glad we resigned Lynch, although I haven't seen the contract yet, so this might change a bit. 

At least now I don't feel the 3rd round has to be a defender. That 3rd OLB is huge.  I'm all for value in round 3. 

Some combo of RB, Edge, DB, OL in rounds 3-5 and then top it off with a kicker in 7th and any value left for the 2nd 7th.

S Deandre Houston-Carson & LS Patrick Scales both signed for the 3 year vet. minimum $720,000, guessing small bonus for both (~$20k)

OLB Aaron Lynch $1M base salary, $250k signing bonus. $1,453,125 2019 cap hit per 

Cap 17 million 

Sigmund Bloom‏ @SigmundBloom Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Windy City Gridiron

"All in all, the team has spent eight of their top 30 visits on running backs and met with 15 overall. It’s pretty clear they plan to not only draft one, but likely draft one somewhat early." #mikedavissellhigh

Sigmund Bloom added,  Windy City Gridiron @WCGridiron

#Bears mailbag: Hope for Robbie Gould, drafting a running back, Aaron Rodgers’ rough week. and much more from @AaronLemingNFL https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2019/4/10/18303999/chicago-bears-mailbag-hope-for-robbie-gould-nfl-draft-running-back-and-aaron-rodgers-rough-week?utm_campaign=windycitygridiron&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter …

9:04 AM - 10 Apr 2019

Bears mailbag: Hope for Robbie Gould, drafting a running back and Aaron Rodgers’ rough week

The draft is getting closer and the draft visits are ramping up. Draft questions and more as the offseason continues to drag along.

By Aaron Leming  Apr 10, 2019, 11:00am CDT

JT Barczak@jtbarczak

Which of the RB class is the best fit for the Bears and who is likely to last until 87?

4:00 PM - Apr 9, 2019

I’m glad you asked.

I actually put out a piece yesterday highlighting exactly who I think would be ideal and realistic fits for the Bears in this draft class. To keep it simple, here are my top five names.

Miles Sanders (Penn State)

Trayveon Williams (Texas A&M)

Damien Harris (Alabama)

Justice Hill (Oklahoma State)

David Montgomery (Iowa State)

In short, I feel like the Bears would have to trade up for Sanders or Montgomery. Sanders is the most ideal fit because of how well-rounded he is. Montgomery lacks explosion at the second level, but is also very well-rounded and is one of the more overlooked fits in this class....
Go to the link for the full article.

Getting excited for the Bears draft. Still doing my own research. This is what I'm thinking they may do for rounds 3-4.

Round 3 - best available CB or safety, preferably and probably a CB.

Options: Darnell Savage and Rock Ya-Sin probably gone. Thinking Julian Love, Lonnie Johnson or David Long. I like Long personally.

Round 4 - best available RB.

Options: They probably go RB here, there are a lot of options. Ryquell Armstead, Devine Ozigbo, Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, Rodney Anderson, Elijah Holyfield, Mike Weber, and Dexter Williams. I feel like they want a guy with adequate size, who is decent at everything, with upside. Rodney Anderson is the highest upside guy here but he has legitimate injury concerns. My vote is for Dexter Williams. Good size, athletic ability, patience and vision, kind of similar to Damien Williams but perhaps with less power. He's got to work on pass-catching but he has upside there, just has to work on technique and focus.

Signed K Elliott Fry from the AAF (Apollos) a little over a week ago to a 3-year deal; guess they liked what they saw.  14/14 with two 40+ yard kicks in the snow (@Utah).

Kind of a sneaky move.  Kid made some big kicks for South Carolina.  Anyway, more K competition is good.

49ers placed the franchise tag on him. 4.9 million. He's not going to Chicago
Maybe. Maybe not. 

Rotoworld: Gould has remained steadfast in the fact he doesn't want to sign and play on San Francisco's designated one-year franchise tender. There are also indications he is not interested in signing a long-term deal with the team before the July 15 deadline. The Niners have reportedly considered rescinding Gould’s franchise tag -- they reportedly showed interest in Pats K Stephen Gostkowski before he re-signed with New England. As it stands, 26-year-old backup kicker Jonathan Brown will handle those duties at the team's offseason program.

Told ya. 

Shefter: In a turn of events, 49ers’ franchise kicker Robbie Gould has pulled his contract proposals that he sent to San Francisco and told the team he will not negotiate or sign a long-term deal with them, and he would like to be traded, Gould said Tuesday.

Wingnut said:
I called this 2 months ago. Gould has been saying he wants to go back to Chicago for white a while.
What will he do if he gets his wish and gets traded... Somewhere else?

Haw haw haw.  To all the suckers who laughed at Pace 2 years ago. 

49ers are shopping Solomon Thomas, the third pick in the 2017 draft.

Bears 2017 draft

1: Mitch Trubisky (Pro Bowl)
2: Adam Shaheen (jury still out)
4: Tarik Cohen (All-Pro)
4: Eddie Jackson (All-Pro)
5: Jordan Morgan (Cut)

There’s still time to evaluate, especially QB1, but I’m not sure the, “John Lynch fleeced Ryan Pace” narrative holds up. 

Thoughts from day 1. 

I at least appreciate I'm not a Giants fan.

I love Hock and think Detroit will make him a star. Although my first thought was of Ebron.

GB draft doesnt scare me.

Minny got a solid player at a spot of need, not a game changer.

I cant imagine anything impacting the Bears draft board from day 1. 

Push comes to shove and I'm feeling like RB or CB in rd 3.

With so many DL/OL going in rd 1, the next round will be a run on skill players and maybe out best bet is a big

Users who are viewing this thread