What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (4 Viewers)

If the Bears leave the draft with Mitch still as the entrenched starter and no legitimate competition, then I'll be pissed. But I don't think that will happen. They'll bring in someone from either FA or the draft. My bet is in FA. 
Do you ascribe at all to the theories that competition can split the locker room and that it can, sometimes, destroy confidence?  I know that the other side is that iron sharpens iron.

The Bears went all in on the Trubiski move.  Cold feet now would seem wrong.   

Do you ascribe at all to the theories that competition can split the locker room and that it can, sometimes, destroy confidence?  I know that the other side is that iron sharpens iron.

I don't if it's an open/fair competition. I think you lose teams when Coaches/GM pre-pick the winner and find a way to justify the choice when the players clearly know who is the better player and gives them a better chance for W's.

I bet you'd love for us to stick out this Mitch experiment for another couple years 😀

These guys are adults and get paid big money. If you don't perform or earn it, you should know you're in danger of losing your job.  That's how the world works. If that destroys a guy's confidence or splits a locker room, then those players don't belong here. 

Reading into his presser is a waste of time. What do you think he's going to say? 
"We have to get better at these critical positions and were going to explore every possibility to make that happen"? 

If i were a free agent, thats what id be looking to hear from a prospective GM. Not, "we still absolutely believe Shaheen, Floyd, and Trubisky are the guy we want playing for us" 

"We have to get better at these critical positions and were going to explore every possibility to make that happen"? 

If i were a free agent, thats what id be looking to hear from a prospective GM. Not, "we still absolutely believe Shaheen, Floyd, and Trubisky are the guy we want playing for us" 
Pace has always been cryptic with what he says. Pay more attention to his actions over the next couple of months. 

I don't if it's an open/fair competition. I think you lose teams when Coaches/GM pre-pick the winner and find a way to justify the choice when the players clearly know who is the better player and gives them a better chance for W's.

I bet you'd love for us to stick out this Mitch experiment for another couple years 😀
Certainly as a Packer fan I hope the Bears will not become better than my team.  that does not mean I do not want legitimate discussion, or in this case simply to learn the feelings and thoughts of Flap and good folks like yourself.

Pace has always been cryptic with what he says. Pay more attention to his actions over the next couple of months. 
But FA's hear those same quotes.  Think Bridgewater wants to go to a team where the GM is saying that?  Yeah you are telling me I have a chance, but do I really??  I'll just go somewhere else where I have a better shot to start.  Yeah it works when you do the surprise draft pick because the player doesn't have a choice.

Certainly as a Packer fan I hope the Bears will not become better than my team.  that does not mean I do not want legitimate discussion, or in this case simply to learn the feelings and thoughts of Flap and good folks like yourself.
I know, that last part was just a friendly jab, the first part was my thoughts on your point.  No problem with you jumping in the discussion in here!

But FA's hear those same quotes.  Think Bridgewater wants to go to a team where the GM is saying that?  Yeah you are telling me I have a chance, but do I really??  I'll just go somewhere else where I have a better shot to start.  Yeah it works when you do the surprise draft pick because the player doesn't have a choice.
I'm sorry he's not saying it like you want him to.  That's how he operates. This is a very solid roster. There won't be players avoiding coming here.  We'll see what happens in the Spring.  If they really do stick with Mitch and bring in no legitimate competition, I'll be the first to say I was wrong. 

I know, that last part was just a friendly jab, the first part was my thoughts on your point.  No problem with you jumping in the discussion in here!
No worries.  We are good.  I do try to be respectful when I visit Bear and Viking threads.  I am not one to go in to rile the other side or to prey on misfortune.  I know some consider that legitimate ball busting, me, I figure folks feelings do not need me aggravating them.

Trubisky I find fascinating.  The Bears went all in.  I would not have given his lack of college experience, but it was a bold move.  Having done so, and having stuck it out this long it seems wrong to not see it through to the bloody or successful end.  Invest one more year with drafting to0 support him.  If he flowers great, if he doesn't, well they will maybe have built a roster that can support a free agent or a draft choice. 

Trubisky I find fascinating.  The Bears went all in.  I would not have given his lack of college experience, but it was a bold move.  Having done so, and having stuck it out this long it seems wrong to not see it through to the bloody or successful end.  Invest one more year with drafting to0 support him.  If he flowers great, if he doesn't, well they will maybe have built a roster that can support a free agent or a draft choice. 
I can kinda buy the 1 more year argument, but they’re wasting a win now top 5 defense and pretty good skill players. 

I can kinda buy the 1 more year argument, but they’re wasting a win now top 5 defense and pretty good skill players. 
That is unfortunate, but would that not also be likely with any first year starter in their system?  Maybe Alex Smith.  He must know it but what is he know after injury? 

That is unfortunate, but would that not also be likely with any first year starter in their system?  Maybe Alex Smith.  He must know it but what is he know after injury? 
Last I heard Smith is still learning to walk again, but he would be the perfect guy.

The thing is, the Bears are at an impasse. They have a QB they are committed to and coach/offense they are committed to, but the QB is not right for this offense. Something has to give. 

What the Bears options are:

1.significantly revamp this offense (and honestly they would need to take playcalling away from Nagy because he has proven himself fundamentally unable to cater his playcalling) to maximize Trubiskys strengths and hide his weaknesses.

2.  have another QB at least on standby that may not be a 'better' passer than Trubisky, but who can execute Nagys offense better. That list of available QBs may not be impressive, but they dont have to be 'good', they just have to be 'better than Mitch, IN THIS OFFENSE'. Which basically means getting that accuracy up towards 70%. I feel like almost everybody on that list would be an improvement for what Nagy wants to do, only because you probably complete 5 more passes per game that Mitch just completely botches or doesnt see at all.  You also (depending on who youre talking about) lose that mobility, but Nagy isnt interested in that mobility in his offense.

3.You split that baby in half and let Nagy claim he is going to on the one hand make tweaks in the offense to compliment Mitch's Mitchiness, but also to somehow train Trubisky to see the field and read defenses (which history suggests is not something you can teach if a guy just doesnt get it). In reality, none of that ends up happening and you get a repeat of this season.

The third option is almost certainly what is going to happen. The worst part of that is, at the end of 2020 you still dont know where the biggest problem is,  Nagys offense and playcalling, or Trubuskis shortcomings. You have to get an answer there, that should be paramount.

Last edited by a moderator:
The third option is almost certainly what is going to happen. The worst part of that is, at the end of 2020 you still dont know where the biggest problem is,  Nagys offense and playcalling, or Trubuskis shortcomings. You have to get an answer there, that should be paramount.
Could not agree with this more.

Mitch sucks, no doubt.  But 2019 also revealed Nagy's unwillingness to do much of anything to cater to what Mitch might do well.

How many QBs exist who can run Nagy's scheme?  What are the odds the Bears find a Mahomes to do so?  It's the Bears, so zero, but beyond that, if the Bears get a Cam or a Rivers, is Nagy going to design an offense to fit their skills or force feed his genius vision?

As an Oregon homer I can tell you I'm very glad to see Helfrich go. He is a duntz. But forgive my ignorance here, didn't Nagy get to bring in his own staff when he was hired? Wasn't Helfrich his guy? Or is this all on Pace? I guess I'm confused why they would let the whole offensive staff go if they are part of Nagy's team. 

Could not agree with this more.

Mitch sucks, no doubt.  But 2019 also revealed Nagy's unwillingness to do much of anything to cater to what Mitch might do well.

How many QBs exist who can run Nagy's scheme?  What are the odds the Bears find a Mahomes to do so?  It's the Bears, so zero, but beyond that, if the Bears get a Cam or a Rivers, is Nagy going to design an offense to fit their skills or force feed his genius vision?
If Mitch sucks and can't even hit wide open guys and make basic reads, how can you say Nagy doesn't cater to Mitch? He schemes guys open all the time. Mitch just can't see them. 

I'm sorry he's not saying it like you want him to.  That's how he operates. This is a very solid roster. There won't be players avoiding coming here.  We'll see what happens in the Spring.  If they really do stick with Mitch and bring in no legitimate competition, I'll be the first to say I was wrong. 
I see we are well in route transitioning from perennial losers and I’m done with these clowns to Super Bowl favorites. Nothing like an off season and a new prescription to improve the outlook. 

If Mitch sucks and can't even hit wide open guys and make basic reads, how can you say Nagy doesn't cater to Mitch? He schemes guys open all the time. Mitch just can't see them. 
It's a fair point.  However, it would appear that Mitch is marginally better on the move.  Gameplanning along those lines was sporadic at best.

It's a fair point.  However, it would appear that Mitch is marginally better on the move.  Gameplanning along those lines was sporadic at best.
No “however” should be involved here...Your continuation shows you don’t get it entirely. Mitch sucks. End of story.

No “however” should be involved here...Your continuation shows you don’t get it entirely. Mitch sucks. End of story.
So I take it you are ecstatic that he will be the starter next year.  I don't see any magical FA they can get that they can develop into a top-tiered starter based on their O line and TE needs. I would love to see someone like Winston come to Chicago so he can throw for 4000 Yards with 20 TDs and 50 Ints.  This offseason they would be better off trying to upgrade the offensive line and bring in one of the failed starters from another team for competition based on who is expected to be available. I have not been impressed with the list I have seen of available FA QBs. I don't trust Bridgewater to pay him 20Mil a season and think he was greatly helped by Sean Payton offense with the Saints skilled players.  I might be wrong but I don't think the Bears situation is ideal and he would get killed next year. A failed veteran starter for competition that will be a  lower priced would be an ideal candidate to bring in (Most don't work out like Tannehill but who knows).  I also don't have faith in the coaching staff developing a QB based on what we have seen so far. 

I think replacing Trubisky is as important as replacing Nagy. both are equally inept, unqualified, unprepared week in and week out.

these McCaskeys.. :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

So what is the deal with the Hiestand firing?

He's known to be one of the best OL coaches around and developing guys in the trenches. Was it him or was it the talent they had (which admittedly was lacking)? Maybe it was the lack of a run game which he was supposedly in charge of? Difference of opinions on scheme?

Eddie Jackson 

$58.4M, $33M total guarantee. His
$14.6M yearly average makes him the highest paid safety in the NFL

flapgreen said:
Eddie Jackson 

$58.4M, $33M total guarantee. His
$14.6M yearly average makes him the highest paid safety in the NFL
And according to Pro Football Focus, Eddie Jackson graded out as the 55th safety out of 93 this year. He was very good in 2018, but mediocre in 2019. He was outplayed by Clinton-Dix. I’m fine with resigning him. But making him the highest paid safety in the league is just mind numbingly stupid. He had 60 tackles, 1 sack, and two interceptions this year. There were 43 players in the league who had more interceptions than Eddie Jackson this year. You are paying him for what he did in 2017 and 2018. Winning teams don’t pay you for past performance. Another example of why the Bears are such a stupid franchise.

The state of the union address with Pace & Nagy was a bunch of  :hophead: .  Why Pace doesn’t interview during the season is weird.

Trub gets a few more games to show solid improvement or I’ll start referring to him as Trubustky.

Locking Jackson up for awhile is nice but he was overpaid.  Needs to improve his tackling technique and jump more routes in coverage.

I would start playing more press/man on third down for sure.  Give the pass rushers a chance to get home.  Even if you play the CBs slightly off 3-4 yards, they can still bump and knock receivers off their routes or at least delay them.  Giving big cushions is and has been a moronic tactic since the Lovie days.

The WC games this weekend will be fun.  I like what the Bills are doing.  Frankly, it’s amazing how much they’ve improved since we destroyed them in their building in 2018.

I usually pull for the road teams on WC weekend.

3 out of 4 and BUF was a dropped INT away from a clean sweep.  Feels good to see the Pats and Eagles both get bounced at home.

Love that D.K. Metcalf (former Bear Terrence Metcalf’s kid); that is exactly how Wims should be used.  Jump balls.

Hope Nagy is taking notes.  Run the ball effectively, go deep occasionally to big receivers (not our neo-smurfs), play man defense, tackle aggressively.

Go Seahawks.  Since Zimmer is a Chicago native, go Vikings.  Chiefs vs. Ravens will be amazing (don’t see the Titans or Texans advancing).

As far as Long goes, wish he could come back but he wore down.

Big Kyle calls it a career. A rare gem for us in the first round. Warrior and leader when he was full strength. Shame. 
He was around for so many years of complete #### football and was always gave 100% (when he was on the field unfortunately).  Probably one of the few likable offensive players from those years.  He was "old" when he got drafted and just kept getting hit with injuries, going to miss what he brought to the O-line when healthy.  Not sure we have much "nasty" left on there.

Eddie Jackson signed a 5 year contract extension on January 3, 2020 with the Chicago Bears.  The contract is worth $58,400,000 in new money with $22,000,000 virtually guaranteed at signing.  Jackson was due $735,000 in 2020 under his rookie contract.  Jackson will receive a $12 million signing bonus, virtually guaranteed salaries in 2020 and 2021 

And according to Pro Football Focus, Eddie Jackson graded out as the 55th safety out of 93 this year. He was very good in 2018, but mediocre in 2019. He was outplayed by Clinton-Dix. I’m fine with resigning him. But making him the highest paid safety in the league is just mind numbingly stupid. He had 60 tackles, 1 sack, and two interceptions this year. There were 43 players in the league who had more interceptions than Eddie Jackson this year. You are paying him for what he did in 2017 and 2018. Winning teams don’t pay you for past performance. Another example of why the Bears are such a stupid franchise.
There is so much wrong in this post. I won't even get into it.  Jackson got essentially 2 years fully guaranteed on his new contract with the option after that. 

Look at Mahomes go. Will end up being the worst draft in Chicago Bears history. That was their shot.  This kid has the potential to be a top 5 all time qb

Look at Mahomes go. Will end up being the worst draft in Chicago Bears history. That was their shot.  This kid has the potential to be a top 5 all time qb
Look at Tennessee as well. Looks like defense and running the ball can do pretty well. 

We keep discussing if Nagee is the problem or Trubisky/Pace. Why not both? 

Look at Tennessee as well. Looks like defense and running the ball can do pretty well. 

We keep discussing if Nagee is the problem or Trubisky/Pace. Why not both? 
Pace whiffed on the qb but built a very solid roster. Nagy won coach of year last year and won the division in his first season. Pace and Nagy aren't without fault, but Trubisky is the main problem. He sucks

Pace whiffed on the qb but built a very solid roster. Nagy won coach of year last year and won the division in his first season. Pace and Nagy aren't without fault, but Trubisky is the main problem. He sucks
I agree, but Nagy decided he was going to peg a square into a round hole come hell or high water. Picked up all of Reids worst instincts regarding rushing. 

• Smile
Reactions: RBM

Users who are viewing this thread