What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (25 Viewers)

The Tick said:
You may be right but it didn't feel like pace wanted to keep him regardless.
You may be right there as well.  Definitely looks bad on Pace seeing the guy dominant in the Super Bowl, while Pace has done absolutely nothing to replace him at WR. Pace better get off his ### and get a couple big name WRs instead of just talking about it. 

Alshon called it.  Nice to see him get a ring.  Just too bad it wasn't with us.  Quite a few tweets on how dumb we were for letting him walk, but if they knew how poorly he played due to injuries the previous two seasons...

That TD to Foles as a receiver was mint and they said they took it from the Bears, so we did have a cool little impact on the big game.

Looking forward to seeing how Pace & Nagy get the roster shaped up.

The Tick said:
You may be right but it didn't feel like pace wanted to keep him regardless.
I think that was mutual though and had Jeffrey been more receptive or invested he would have tried harder.  He knew Jeffrey wasn't happy there and there's no sense pursuing that.  Pace had the ability to keep him, not the other way around, and he (probably wisely) just let him go.

I don't know about you guys but I was happy to see Jeffery play well and get the win.  I always liked him and thought he was treated poorly by the Bear's and the fans.  I don't blame him for wanting to leave but I wish he was still on the team.

I really hope the Bear's offense will look similar to the Eagles.  I think we'll see more RPO plays which should help.  Will be nice to see a change in offensive philosophy. 

Free agency coming up in about a month.  Very deep at wr and CB.  Weak at OL and pass rush.  We need to re-sign Fuller and probably Amukamara at the right price.  Then go after guys like Landry, Wilson, or Richardson at WR.  After cuts, we could have 80+ million in cap space.  Then go after pass rusher and OL in draft.  Due to the lack of depth at OL, I think they'll probably keep Massie. 

Guys I think are likely to be cut: 

Glennon 

Suttin

McPhee 

Sims 

Freeman

Wheaton 

Cooper

Young

Demps

41 million current cap space. If they cut everyone on this list, they'll have around 95 million in space. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Potential re-signings: 

Fuller. 12-13 million per with multi year guarantee. 

Amukamara.  7ish with small guarantee

Wright. 1-2 million  

O'Donnell 2-3 million per 

Free agency coming up in about a month.  Very deep at wr and CB.  Weak at OL and pass rush.  We need to re-sign Fuller and probably Amukamara at the right price.  Then go after guys like Landry, Wilson, or Richardson at WR.  After cuts, we could have 80+ million in cap space.  Then go after pass rusher and OL in draft.  Due to the lack of depth at OL, I think they'll probably keep Massie. 

Guys I think are likely to be cut: 

Glennon 

Suttin

McPhee 

Sims 

Freeman

Wheaton 

Cooper

Young

Demps

41 million current cap space. If they cut everyone on this list, they'll have around 95 million in space. 
I really hope they don't cut Sitton. He's the best o-lineman on the team, and they aren't hurting for cap space. I'd hope they could renegotiate with Glennon and McPhee. McPhee is a good player, who has had trouble staying healthy, but he's still the team's best pass rusher whenever he does play. I think Glennon is a solid backup QB, and I wouldn't think he'd have a huge FA market if cut, so maybe he can be kept for a pay cut. The rest of the guys are fine with me.

As for re-signings, while I'd love to see it, its probably unrealistic that both Fuller and Amukamara are back, that said, those should be the top priorities. Bears quietly had a top-10 secondary last year. Wright is tough to say. I think he likely leaves, with a big FA and/or draft pick to come, and Meredith returning, he may not be a priority. He'll likely be able to top 2 million in free agency with so many teams needing WR depth. I think/hope the Bears aim higher. I think Albert Wilson is an interesting name as a better version of Wright, who has experience in Nagy's offense. If the WR core ends up being something like Robinson/Wilson/Meredith, I think that would be optimal.

The Bears really don't have a ton of needs, the biggest need was better coaching. There are a lot of similarities between the 2017 Bears and the 2016 Rams. Hopefully Nagy is the right call.

Offensive free agents likely to be available who the Bears could look at and approximate cost per year:   

Qb

Chase Daniel 5 

WR

Jarvis Landry 14 

Paul Richardson 8

Marquis Lee 9

Albert Wilson 6

Pryor 7

Moncrief 5

TE

Burton 6

Eifert 5

Could go either way on Massie or Sitton but I can't see them bringing back a 32 year old guard for 8 million. Replacing him with Nelson would be perfect, if he gets to 8.

The Bears are desperately thin at WR and CB (unless/until they re-sign Fuller & Amukamara). Beyond that, they basically just need to add talent. I could see them using a first round pick (perhaps after a trade-down) at pretty much any position besides QB and RB. I'd like to see them address WR and CB with vets so that they can go after talent in the draft rather than reaching to try to fill a need.

The Bears are desperately thin at WR and CB (unless/until they re-sign Fuller & Amukamara). Beyond that, they basically just need to add talent. I could see them using a first round pick (perhaps after a trade-down) at pretty much any position besides QB and RB. I'd like to see them address WR and CB with vets so that they can go after talent in the draft rather than reaching to try to fill a need.
They're as thin as OLB as any position. They really don't have anything, except Floyd.  I don't see any scenario where they draft a WR in 1st round.  The only way they'll take a cb at 8 is if Fitzpatrick falls. If they can't get Nelson or Fitzpatrick at 8 or trade back, I could see taking Edmunds there. A lot to play out between now and then

Besides grossman, the offense was servicable.  The rbs were nice.  Jones was solid.  Almost forgot about Muhammad.  That guy could play.  Grossman just killed them
They were in the game before the pick 6. Was Grossman great, absolutely not. Was he the only reason as you suggest, heck no. It was was also a down pour in that game, there was the Danniel blown cover for 6, etc.... 

Bears lost that game, not just Rex. 

Freeman seems like a good guy to keep, he was an absolute tackling machine in 2016. Sitton also seems like a guy that should stick around, I'd rather see Long get cut over him. 

WR - I like Richardson, but I'm not sure if that is mainly due to Matt Waldman"s crush on him. He flashes at times, but I'm not sure if that he is worth 8mil or so a year.  

I feel good about this team going forward for the first time in a while! 

Bear Down

They were in the game before the pick 6. Was Grossman great, absolutely not. Was he the only reason as you suggest, heck no. It was was also a down pour in that game, there was the Danniel blown cover for 6, etc.... 

Bears lost that game, not just Rex. 
165 yards.  1 td.  2 ints.  2 fumbles.  One lost.  He sucked

165 yards.  1 td.  2 ints.  2 fumbles.  One lost.  He sucked
Still not all on him, it's a team game ya know. 

Losing Harris also a huge problem. Manning destroyed the cover 2 with checkdowns/ slants .... Never mind they got out coached. 

It was a rough game for our team outside of that opening kick off. 

Freeman seems like a good guy to keep, he was an absolute tackling machine in 2016. Sitton also seems like a guy that should stick around, I'd rather see Long get cut over him. 

WR - I like Richardson, but I'm not sure if that is mainly due to Matt Waldman"s crush on him. He flashes at times, but I'm not sure if that he is worth 8mil or so a year.  

Bear Down
The organization absolutely had to get rid of that coaching staff or risk losing a lot of it's fan base for the year.  Everyone was sick of the product they were putting out and there was no sign of it getting better.  By doing that and hiring what looks to be a great staff they have now raised interest to a new high that hasn't been seen in a while.

With a young QB with potential and a good off season Bear's fans have a lot to look forward to this year.

The organization absolutely had to get rid of that coaching staff or risk losing a lot of it's fan base for the year.  Everyone was sick of the product they were putting out and there was no sign of it getting better.  By doing that and hiring what looks to be a great staff they have now raised interest to a new high that hasn't been seen in a while.

With a young QB with potential and a good off season Bear's fans have a lot to look forward to this year.
I only watched half of the Bears snaps this past year, in years past I would be watching the entire during the week on gamepass. I despised John Fox before he was hired so my interest in watching them this year was an all time low. 

Brighter days are here for a bit .... I hope!

And that's why Lovie was fired.  I know many Bear's fans miss him but that was as good as he could do.
Maybe Marinelli was the guy that made that work on D? Watching Tillman play 10 yards off his guy for his first 4-5 years was pretty painful.

3rd and 9 against the Bear D ..... wide open slant for a 1st down. That is one of my lasting memories of Lovie 

I think we gotta pass on Wright, I'd be fine with Inman, but then we need to try and sign a top FA starting WR and still draft one somewhat high.
I wouldn't be upset if they did but he's certainly a capable WR and offers solid depth if they can't find any other FAs.  Certainly need to sign a top FA WR and draft one or two more.

Bear Down
Freeman has been hurt and already suspended twice.  He's gone. 

Franchise tag window opens today.  Personally I think the bears should avoid it.  I don't want to see them tag Fuller, he's not worth having for just one year and I don't think he's shown enough for the high price floor that using the franchise tag will cause.

I'm all for offering him a contract and seeing if we can get him to stay, but I don't want to see them use 3 years of franchise tag money as the starting offer and that is exactly what happens when you even talk about using the tag on a player.

The Tick said:
Franchise tag window opens today.  Personally I think the bears should avoid it.  I don't want to see them tag Fuller, he's not worth having for just one year and I don't think he's shown enough for the high price floor that using the franchise tag will cause.

I'm all for offering him a contract and seeing if we can get him to stay, but I don't want to see them use 3 years of franchise tag money as the starting offer and that is exactly what happens when you even talk about using the tag on a player.
I'm on a completely different page with you here. Either franchise him or sign him long-term. Can't let more drafted talent leave. He was extremely good last year. 

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
I'm on a completely different page with you here. Either franchise him or sign him long-term. Can't let more drafted talent leave. He was extremely good last year. 
I want them to try and sign him, but I don't think he's worth franchise type money, so we may need to compete for him in FA.

Freeman released. 
I think there is an interesting question around freeman. If he had a physical injury from playing they couldn't release him without a settlement. Wonder if the same will hold true for mental issues at some point. After hearing his statements I think we all agreed something was not right in the head with him.

Not saying anyone did anything wrong, just wonder if some day that will need to be considered when cutting a player.

I think there is an interesting question around freeman. If he had a physical injury from playing they couldn't release him without a settlement. Wonder if the same will hold true for mental issues at some point. After hearing his statements I think we all agreed something was not right in the head with him.

Not saying anyone did anything wrong, just wonder if some day that will need to be considered when cutting a player.
Good question 

I want them to try and sign him, but I don't think he's worth franchise type money, so we may need to compete for him in FA.
This team can't afford to keep letting players go without being able to replace them with similar or better talent.  This is how the team got to where they are now in the first place.  At some point you have to be willing to pay certain players.  I'd rather them sign or tag Fuller than waste money on players like Wheaton and Glennon again.

Users who are viewing this thread