What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (6 Viewers)

flapgreen said:
YEEEEEES! Pace killing! 

Source close to former Falcons WR Taylor Gabriel tells me he's signing with the Chicago Bears
Andrew Hawkins is pretty close, they played together in Cleveland.

-----------------------------------------

Andrew Hawkins‏Verified account @Hawk 9m9 minutes ago

Taylor Gabriel expected to sign with the Chicago Bears on a 4 year deal. per source. Taylor Gabriel is my source. #ThomaHawk

----------------------------------------

His source is Taylor Gabriel.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are all over the Bear's news today.  Was just going to post this.  Another great add.  The Bear's WR corps just went from bottom 3 to the top half of the league, on paper of course.

Still barely spent over 40. With cuts to come, they'll still have around 40 after draft picks and that's including Fuller. 

If Kevin White figures out how to use his God-given talent, and Trubisky lives up to his draft position, this offense is going to be nasty and Trubisky is going to be a hot young commodity for FFB.  Robinson, White, Meredith, Gabriel, Cohen, Burton, Shaheen...could be scary if the stars align.

If Kevin White figures out how to use his God-given talent, and Trubisky lives up to his draft position, this offense is going to be nasty and Trubisky is going to be a hot young commodity for FFB.  Robinson, White, Meredith, Gabriel, Cohen, Burton, Shaheen...could be scary if the stars align.
Really need to beef up that OL now.  If they do that then it has tons of potential.

Unless you're running the wildcat or playing flag football, it's going to be a tough row with only three lineman on the field.

Man, I hate being that guy, but I'm not as excited as everyone else seems to be. I like the Robinson signing, but Burton and especially Gabriel feel like busts waiting to happen. Sub package guys on great offenses, who may not be cut out for bigger roles. I wish we'd kept Sitton, and I'm sorta indifferent on tagging Fuller, worried he may have been a contract year guy, but could also see last year being the real Fuller.

Prince re-signing. Mark another need off the list, at least in the short term. Sweet

Man, I hate being that guy, but I'm not as excited as everyone else seems to be. I like the Robinson signing, but Burton and especially Gabriel feel like busts waiting to happen. Sub package guys on great offenses, who may not be cut out for bigger roles. I wish we'd kept Sitton, and I'm sorta indifferent on tagging Fuller, worried he may have been a contract year guy, but could also see last year being the real Fuller.
I think Burton is perfect for Nagy. It is a steep price to pay but I think he will be really productive.

I agree that I still want us to get a WR. At this point based on need, I could see them targeting a WR in the 4th or 5th. But would like to see them draft a WR in the first two rounds in 2019.

So who do the Bears take 7th overall? I'm thinking take the first CB - Denzel Ward probably. Quenton Nelson will likely be gone.

Not a Bears fan but you guys are killing it so far IMO. Burton is a player, I really like this guy and think he will thrive as the #1 TE. ARob will give Trubisky a legit WR target. It’s gonna be a fun year for Chicago I think.

I think Burton is perfect for Nagy. It is a steep price to pay but I think he will be really productive.

I agree that I still want us to get a WR. At this point based on need, I could see them targeting a WR in the 4th or 5th. But would like to see them draft a WR in the first two rounds in 2019.

So who do the Bears take 7th overall? I'm thinking take the first CB - Denzel Ward probably. Quenton Nelson will likely be gone.
Prince Amukamara's new deal with the Bears will be for three years and $27 million. Big payday. Unlikely now they go after CB early. 

I'm excited for first time in a long time about the Bears. Really liked what I saw from Trubisky last year. Give him weapons. Big fan of the concept. What do people think about the fantasy TE situation? Burton is the undisputed #1 catching TE or no? I get they will lineup together a fair amount. Is Burton the Kelce in this offense?

Tampa picks #7. I think its possible Minkah Fitzpatrick is still there at 8. I like Harold Landry a ton(think he's got much more upside than Chubb) but that is probably higher than he'll go. 

Bears' main moves so far this offseason (leaving off some obvious cuts):

released G Josh Sitton (owed $8M)
released OLB Pernell McPhee (owed $7M)
original round (UDFA) tender for WR Cameron Meredith ($2M)
transition tag CB Kyle Fuller ($13M)
re-signed CB Prince Amukamara ($9M/yr for 3 years)
signed WR Allen Robinson ($14M/yr for 3 years)
signed TE Trey Burton ($8M/yr for 4 years)
signed WR Taylor Gabriel (??/yr for 4 years)

Seems like they've done okay. Much better than last year when they spent a bunch of money on Glennon, Wheaton, Sims, and Cooper; this year at least the guys that they're paying for are good players (or at least have a strong shot at being good players). Everything this year at least seems plausible / in the right ballpark, although I think I would've done a few of these differently.

The Allen Robinson signing is my favorite move of the bunch. The Bears desperately needed a WR1, and the price is very reasonable compared to $16M/yr for Watkins, $8M/yr for Albert Wilson, $7M/yr for Ryan Grant, etc. I would much rather pay up for a star receiver and then get my depth by using a 5th round pick on Trent Taylor, rather than shelling out solid chunks of cash to mediocre FA receivers.

The Meredith decision seems most befuddling - why not spend a million more to give him a second round tender ($3M)? He is surely worth that much, and now in order to keep him they're probably going to have to pay him more than that to match his offer sheet. I'm also worried that Gabriel will be in that $7M/yr range; I think a top 10 guard like Sitton would do more for the team.

The Burton signing seems like a risky move; I hope their scouts know what they're doing. I guess the hope is that Burton winds up being like Delanie Walker joining the Titans, but I'm worried that they're paying him as if they knew he was Walker 2.0 rather than as if that was his upside. As another comparison, Burton's contract is bigger than what they signed Martellus Bennett for in 2013 (even after adjusting for the growing cap), and they signed Bennett after he played well on a one-year prove-it deal with the Giants rather than straight out of Dallas.

Love the aggressiveness so far and again I have to believe this is in large part due to Nagy (new/aggro) vs. Fox (old/conservative).

Was listening to a Bears podcast and their guest tracked top young WRs who blew out their ACLs the last few years and the majority returned to prominence or better.  Still a gamble but still cheaper than the Giraffe.

Always liked Gabe as an underused pure twitch burner and Burton has been productive when given a role.

GMFB just reported Chase Daniel to sign today as well, which was a natural pickup as both a former Saint and Chief.

During the combine, Rapaport saw Kevin White's family and asked how he was recovering.  Pops gave him a pic showing he is rocked up and ripped.  He was also reportedly training with Trubador out in L.A.  At least he's trying to improve because this is his last shot.

Do not feed the trolls and remember that nothing is set in stone until after 16:00 EST.

Predicting Tremaine Edmunds @#8 but trading down to get more picks and grab Iowa CB Josh Jackson (stock falling from "slow" mid-4.5 40) fits Fangio's profile.

Really liked Vander Esch's reaction times when doing drills where the coach barks and points in different directions.  Trade down even further for him and get more picks.

I like Edmunds and Vander Esch since both can theoretically play ILB or OLB in a hybrid role.

Malik Jefferson is another trade-down option at OLB.

Pay attention to 3-cone numbers as a key indicator that successful defenders have typically exhibited.

When watching combine drills, I tend to focus on guys who have very good body control, fluidity and hands (in addition to preferring twitch/speed guys).

Bears are in a very weird spot in the draft and once again got screwed by strength of schedule.  Very difficult to trade back. One can only hope Nelson falls. No idea if he doesn't. Edmunds would fit Pace's profile from the remaining players at 8 IMO.  And we need pass rushers desperately. Would be able to get the 2nd best pass rusher off the board, whoever Pace feels that is. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Indeed.  Screwed again.  Strength of schedule is the worst order-determining factor.  Overall record and head-to-head should trump SoS.

Overpaid for Daniel and Acho. Really dislike those two deals. But still not huge money or anything 

I can't argue with any of the moves made....I'm genuinely excited to watch the Bears this year
I agree here, been too slammed at work to follow closely and discuss here, but I've generally been excited which is the exact opposite from last year for me.  I had given up on the year by day 2 of FA.  To me Pace really looks to have made that up, yeah i'm sure not all of these will work out great, but he made some big moves with exciting players that could really show up on the field this year.  I just didn't feel that at all with last years FA class.

I know the Bears seemingly have a million WR in the fold, but man I'd love to see Jordy Nelson playing that Edelman role for Trubisky.

Breer: New Bears TE Trey Burton's 4-year, $32 million deal has $18.1 million over the first two years, $18 million of which is fully guaranteed. From there? Nothing fully guaranteed. So two years with, as a practical matter, two team options.

The #Bears are expected to sign WR Taylor Gabriel to a 4-year deal worth $26M, source said. He gets $14M guaranteed. The max is $28M with incentives. 

Bears get their backup QB with Chase Daniels.  Pace continues to fill all the holes they have and setting themselves up for a great draft.

Any thoughts on the  Bear's going after Tyrann Mathieu?
Do you want to bench Jackson for him?  I think they would both be more free safety's.  I'm sure Mathieu is better, but if you pull out Jackson at this point, it seems like you are giving up on what looked to be a young promising player.

Do you want to bench Jackson for him?  I think they would both be more free safety's.  I'm sure Mathieu is better, but if you pull out Jackson at this point, it seems like you are giving up on what looked to be a young promising player.
Mathieu has the ability to play multiple positions in the secondary and can return kicks.  I like like him for the right price.

Wheaton, Glennon, Cooper release. If they release Sims, they have about 30 million left in cap space after draft picks signed. 

Still need

2 OLB

2 ILB

5T

OG

Punter and long snapper

Users who are viewing this thread