What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (10 Viewers)

Trub looks robotic and tentative.  Didn’t run enough and was not decisive enough, or he was too decisive in going with his first read (Robinson) too often.

Same problems as before.  No slant plays.  RB outlet passes taking too long to develop.  Poor spacing on the ones that were completed.  It’s fine if you want to run the T as an homage, but hand the ball off.  Use the QB sneak.  Use a traditional formation with a FB sometimes.  Run the Power O sometimes.  Not enough bootlegs.  

More later after I watch the game again and log every offensive play.  Pun intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
This week/next game is going to show a lot about Trubisky's character.  This loss wasn't entirely his fault, but he's getting the majority of the blame.  He's shielding Nagy and the OL from a lot of richly deserved criticism.

Anybody that watches football was watching that game last night.  That's a lot of people seeing you stink up the joint. Mentally tough teams are able to put stuff like that behind them and push forward.  It'll be interesting to see if the Bears have that in them.

There were a lot of DL guys sucking wind HARD last night.  Might do the team some good to get to Denver a couple days early and get used to that air. 

Bobblehead (Cutler) was on Waddle & Silvy recently and when told Josh McCown gets Fridays off to help coach his kid’s team, he was like “Hell, I’ll come back for that deal!  That’s the best deal ever!”

There was a caller on the radio who just suggested putting the back up in to replace Mitch already.  It's going to be an entertaining day.

You can be one of the greatest playmakers in the world, and if the QB can't get you the ball, combined with being a hothead/drawing occasional penalties, its looking more and more like a headache I don't need.
I haven't seen him play much, but has he actually been flagged for any of this behavior?  Did you also think that Steve Smith was a headache you didn't need?

There was a caller on the radio who just suggested putting the back up in to replace Mitch already.  It's going to be an entertaining day.
Problem is they don’t have a back up worth anything. You have to ride with Mitch this year and hope he improves.

Problem is they don’t have a back up worth anything. You have to ride with Mitch this year and hope he improves.
Yep.  Remember when Pace said he was going to draft a QB every year?  Mitch has been the only QB he's drafted since he's been the GM.  Of course, you need more than a few draft picks each year to afford doing that.

It was the first game!  The defense will keep them in every game they play.  That front 7 is super nasty!  

On the flip side, the GB defense was very impressive.  So I wouldn't conclude that da Bears are toast after one game.  They will find their stride offensively.  Yea, Mitch looked a lil shell-shocked, and was inaccurate much of the game, but I think he will come around....The take home for me was upgrade the GB defense.  They are legit.
yes its one game.  gb def did look good.  but the bears crappy play and playcalling sure did help them.  Im not sure gb defense is as good as everyone thinks they are

I have heard that Rodgers was very frustrated going against his own defense during training camp. Maybe a glimmer of hope for Trubisky homers.

Highlight of the game for me last night .... 1st and 40
Ya that was crazy.  On 3rd and 40 you can just be conservative and punt.  Even on 2nd and 40 it's kinda done.  It's interesting what kind of plays teams have in the book for 1st and 40.... still a decent chance for a 1st down but almost need to throw it every play.

I haven't seen him play much, but has he actually been flagged for any of this behavior?  Did you also think that Steve Smith was a headache you didn't need?
Does that league score negative points for penalties? 

I don't care about that stuff unless it starts impacting fantasy production. 

This forum is terrible for embedding tables, so I created a spreadsheet with usage breakdown.  Might add some columns but it's good enough for now.

Original has formulas but had to paste it, so you can download and add them yourself.  Default is sorted on Snap %.

https://ethercalc.org/aq9p5ti99743

yes its one game.  gb def did look good.  but the bears crappy play and playcalling sure did help them.  Im not sure gb defense is as good as everyone thinks they are
Im not crowning them after one game.....BUT they looked fast and athletic, and really put pressure on Mitch......not as much as the bears did Rodgers, but it was an impressive effort.

Listening to the Trib podcast and they’re ripping them a new one, of course, so I came up with more criticism.

Nagy needs a more traditional playset to switch to when Trub is clearly out of sync, instead of forcing him to sling it continually.  Run the ball, go no-huddle, use playaction.  Tire out the defense.  He said their conditioning was great in camp.  Prove it.

Also getting annoyed hearing the same tired answers in press conferences by him and Trub.  We’re now getting familiar with their versions of “coachspeak” and “QBspeak.”  Give a quick answer, shut up and go fix it.

Highlight of the game for me last night .... 1st and 40
If I'm an O-lineman there, I'm grabbing and holding anything that moves on that play.

No way the refs dare throw a flag for holding on 1st and 40.

I was actually hoping they would though ... couple more til the Bears were backed up inside their own 10 ... then some "half the distance" to the goal line penalties.

Somebody look up the distance for longest yardage to go in the NFL. 40 has to be close.

Found this. Not validated.

The longest down since 1998. Two teams have faced 3rd and 50: VIKINGS vs. Packers (12/20/99) and REDSKINS vs. Bengals (9/23/12). Neither team converted.

The Raiders punted to the Chiefs on a 4th and 48 on 10/13/13.

The longest conversion since 1998. Viking Leroy Hoard ran 53 yards up the middle on 3rd and 37 against the Broncos on 10/31/99.

The longest 4th down conversion since 1998. BUFFALO BILL Rob Johnson threw a 40 yard touchdown to Peerless Price against the Colts on 4th and 34 on 9/23/01. (The Colts still won, 30-14.)

Yes, I'm pretty sure he has been flagged, I remember an instance or two last year, but you don't have to look back that far. Look at what he did last night. (even though he wasn't flagged) There is just no call for it. Its unacceptable pushing a guy when the play is clearly dead.

And the difference with Steve Smith, he had "capable QBs" at times. While he was a known fireball and smack talker, he largely let his play do the talking.  LARGELY. 

Terrible comparison, and probably a baiting comment just looking to start an argument, but thats OK.  Try watching Miller and see what I mean.

TZM

I remember not being a big fan of the Floyd pick coming out. Boy was I wrong. Dude was killing it the other night. Robertson Harris is gonna get paid by someone next season, too. 

He forgot to put: Built one of the most talented rosters in the league starting with nothing. 
But everything will be judged based on the decision to pay a ransom to move up to take Trubisky and passing on Mahomes and Watson. Unless Trubisky makes a big step forward this year nothing else he has done will matter.

But everything will be judged based on the decision to pay a ransom to move up to take Trubisky and passing on Mahomes and Watson. Unless Trubisky makes a big step forward this year nothing else he has done will matter.
No one is going to care what he paid to move up. A couple 3rd round picks isn't a "ransom." But it definitely comes down to if Trubisky takes the next step and improves.  I wouldn't say nothing else matters either. He's built an incredibly talented roster and the best defense in the league.  Trubisky needs to keep improving to make it all worth it, though. 

Found this. Not validated.

The longest down since 1998. Two teams have faced 3rd and 50: VIKINGS vs. Packers (12/20/99) and REDSKINS vs. Bengals (9/23/12). Neither team converted.

The Raiders punted to the Chiefs on a 4th and 48 on 10/13/13.

The longest conversion since 1998. Viking Leroy Hoard ran 53 yards up the middle on 3rd and 37 against the Broncos on 10/31/99.

The longest 4th down conversion since 1998. BUFFALO BILL Rob Johnson threw a 40 yard touchdown to Peerless Price against the Colts on 4th and 34 on 9/23/01. (The Colts still won, 30-14.)
PFR

Redskins also had a 3rd-and-50 at one point.

Yes, I'm pretty sure he has been flagged, I remember an instance or two last year, but you don't have to look back that far. Look at what he did last night. (even though he wasn't flagged) There is just no call for it. Its unacceptable pushing a guy when the play is clearly dead.

And the difference with Steve Smith, he had "capable QBs" at times. While he was a known fireball and smack talker, he largely let his play do the talking.  LARGELY. 

Terrible comparison, and probably a baiting comment just looking to start an argument, but thats OK.  Try watching Miller and see what I mean.

TZM
Thanks for the reply. Smith was the first hothead I could think of who routinely got into scraps after plays, on the sidelines, etc. I don’t recall anyone criticizing him for it. Football is a rough sport and there are some guys who are just far more “into it” than others in this regard. It just seemed strange to me to call him out, because I want that kind of guy on my team. 

Thanks for the reply. Smith was the first hothead I could think of who routinely got into scraps after plays, on the sidelines, etc. I don’t recall anyone criticizing him for it. Football is a rough sport and there are some guys who are just far more “into it” than others in this regard. It just seemed strange to me to call him out, because I want that kind of guy on my team. 

Smith was very fiery, but many times he translated that into his play.

Sure he got into his fair share of arguments, (I remember when he and Aqib Talib went at it on the field, I think Talib was playing for the Pats at the time) but as his career progressed, he learned to "keep it between the lines". Not 100% obviously.

I've just noticed a number of times Miller did dumb ####.  The thing that actually worries me about that, is I have watched very little Bears games, and its usually just a bit here and there.

I do recall a buddy of mine telling me "Miller seems to stir something up almost every game", of course, I have no way of knowing. But the fact Trubisky looked downright terrible last night is another big red flag. I know its only one game, but still.

Most of us that picked up Miller acquired him as a WR3/borderline WR2, so its not like its the end of the world.

And BTW - I like fiery guys on my teams too. Just not ones that tend to jeopardize their teams with repeated bonehead maneuvers.  I do think its a fine line.

Good stuff.

TZM

Baldinger always has good breakdowns of games. 

.@bears missed too many golden opportunities for big plays or to keep drives alive. When you don’t play in preseason, execution suffers. #BaldysBreakdowns https://t.co/GlERShoIBF

Fortunately, the Lions blew the win, and a lot of other teams played poorly, too.  Bet you won't hear near the criticism of Mayfield that you heard of Trubisky this week. 

Fortunately, the Lions blew the win, and a lot of other teams played poorly, too.  Bet you won't hear near the criticism of Mayfield that you heard of Trubisky this week. 
That's true.  The first thing my wife and I noticed with the first set of games was how much better almost every team looked on offense though.  The Bears and Packers playing the only game in the national spotlight is a little different than playing one of the numerous games on Sunday though.

Let's just hope this week is very different.

Well, after seeing Gardner Minshew II, a 6’1” sixth round rookie, go 22/25 yesterday for the Jags without any preparation whatsoever...

:bag:

Well, after seeing Gardner Minshew II, a 6’1” sixth round rookie, go 22/25 yesterday for the Jags without any preparation whatsoever...

:bag:
Minshew looked surprisingly good but that was just one game.  Things could look the complete opposite this weekend.  I'm still giving the Packers D some credit for playing well too. 

Watson sure looked damn good tonight. 
 Yes and Mahommes looked great yesterday.  At this point it seems obvious that they screwed up royally but pointing it out every week has no constructive benefit other than being able to say I told you so after each bad performance or loss. I don't want to rehash their stupidity when the 49ers fleeced them either. It will suck if he doesn't work out and becomes the 2nd coming of Jay Cutler but I am willing to give him a little time. He only had 1 starting season in college.  We heard all off season that he was making better reads and the ball was coming out of his hands quicker but obviously that didn't translate into the Packers game. I put a majority of the blame on Nagy's game plan but also think Trubisky stunk up the joint too. 

pbandy1 said:
definitely expect to go 0-2 this week.
Not a chance. Are you watching the 2nd Monday Night game? Denver is absolutely terrible. The bears offense is going to come alive against these guys, and everything from the first week will be forgotten. It'll be like that Tampa game last year.

Users who are viewing this thread