What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (6 Viewers)

I’m reading that the Bears are in the running for Landry. If the Bears trade for Landry and sign him to a big extension I think it will turn out to be as stupid as the Glennon signing. Landry is a pretty good slot receiver, that is it. He has produced because of massive volume. The Bears need an X receiver, not a pretty good slot receiver. 

I’m reading that the Bears are in the running for Landry. If the Bears trade for Landry and sign him to a big extension I think it will turn out to be as stupid as the Glennon signing. Landry is a pretty good slot receiver, that is it. He has produced because of massive volume. The Bears need an X receiver, not a pretty good slot receiver. 
The Bears need more than one WR. Landry would be a massive upgrade over what they have (although I'm hoping for a strong Meredith comeback) and he fills a need. I don't think it would be like the Glennon signing at all. 

The Bears need more than one WR. Landry would be a massive upgrade over what they have (although I'm hoping for a strong Meredith comeback) and he fills a need. I don't think it would be like the Glennon signing at all. 
They certainly need help at the WR position. But the tag is $14 million for Landry. I think that is the type of money he is looking for. That is way, way too much money for a slot receiver. That is what I fear. They would have to give up pick compensation, and sign him to a sizable extension. That is my problem with it. 

They certainly need help at the WR position. But the tag is $14 million for Landry. I think that is the type of money he is looking for. That is way, way too much money for a slot receiver. That is what I fear. They would have to give up pick compensation, and sign him to a sizable extension. That is my problem with it. 
I'm fine with paying Landry 14 million, but not along with a good pick. I think Miami will end up rescinding the tag, though. They're not going to get a good pick, along with getting another team to sign Landry to a contract that he will accept. That's a ton for any receiver.  I think it's more likely they sign a guy like Wlison, along with another mid-tier wr and draft a 3rd. Pace has shown he's aggressive at going after positions where the team is weak.  Gonna need to re-sign Fuller and another CB, too.   The Bears still need a lot more talent, but they're slowly adding more. 

And they'll need to extend Goldman and Amos. Maybe Callahan, too. 

The Chicago Bears and the Miami Dolphins have had conversations about Jarvis Landry and a third-round pick to the Bears in exchange for Jordan Howard and a swap of the Dolphins pick at No. 11 overall for the Bears at No. 8.

The Chicago Bears and the Miami Dolphins have had conversations about Jarvis Landry and a third-round pick to the Bears in exchange for Jordan Howard and a swap of the Dolphins pick at No. 11 overall for the Bears at No. 8.
Ugh. I wouldn't like that even without the 1st rd swap.

found it

NBC Sports Chicago's John Mullin reports the Bears and Dolphins "have had conversations" about a trade involving Jordan Howard and Jarvis Landry.

According to Mullin, the discussed deal would send Howard and the No. 8 pick to Miami in exchange for Landry, the No. 11 pick, and a third-round selection. Howard has been the engine of the offense since the Bears selected him in the fifth round of the 2016 draft, gaining 2,858 yards from scrimmage in two seasons. Mullin reports new coach Matt Nagy has concerns about Howard's fit in his offense, however, specifically in the passing game. Pro Football Focus has charted Howard with 14 drops in just two seasons.

Source: NBC Sports Chicag

Ugh. I wouldn't like that even without the 1st rd swap.
I get it's a "fit" thing but Bears shouldn't even consider this without at least an additional 3rd rounder. The 8th for 11th and a 3rd rounder is essentially a wash.  So trading Howard for Landry along with a huge contract would be foolish. No thanks 

And it's already squashed by Rapaport. 

Worth noting: There is zero desire by the #Bears to trade RB Jordan Howard, sources say. Doesn’t sound like there will be any splashy Jarvis Landry for Howard deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: RBM
Please no on this trade. Landry is a nice, reliable receiver but not really a game changer. Howard is a special talent. 

Please no on this trade. Landry is a nice, reliable receiver but not really a game changer. Howard is a special talent. 
Howard is a fine back but he's replaceable.  Not his fault, most backs are replaceable.

If they cost the same, Landry would help the bears more than Howard and they could fairly easily sign or rest a new running back to pair with Cohen. 

But considering how much more they'd have to pay Landry, it wouldn't be a smart trade.

Let the games begin! 

On #Dolphins Jarvis Landry, again: #NFL teams had no indication from Miami in terms of his trade price. The #Bears/Jordan Howard trade report came off like an attempt by Miami to stimulate offers. Bit it was a standstill. With Landry signing tag, Miami will have to figure it out.

Howard is a fine back but he's replaceable.  Not his fault, most backs are replaceable.

If they cost the same, Landry would help the bears more than Howard and they could fairly easily sign or rest a new running back to pair with Cohen. 

But considering how much more they'd have to pay Landry, it wouldn't be a smart trade.
Disagree and it’s not even close imo. Howard can take over a game any week. He’s not as replaceable as you think. Landry isn’t doing that. He’d be a reliable chain mover for Mitch, but nothing more. He’s not threatening any D downfield, not changing any games. 

Disagree and it’s not even close imo. Howard can take over a game any week. He’s not as replaceable as you think. Landry isn’t doing that. He’d be a reliable chain mover for Mitch, but nothing more. He’s not threatening any D downfield, not changing any games. 
He's had some great games for sure. Maybe when his team improves he'll be more consistent but he sure hasn't been consistent yet. 

A reliable chain mover would be huge for the bears. 

I don't think they should make the trade, but I do think finding another very good RB is easier than a consistent receiver.

-OZ- said:
He's had some great games for sure. Maybe when his team improves he'll be more consistent but he sure hasn't been consistent yet. 

A reliable chain mover would be huge for the bears. 

I don't think they should make the trade, but I do think finding another very good RB is easier than a consistent receiver.
That’s my big thing. He’s been so good on a historically bad/vanilla offense. 

I hate how the rb position got to a point where good workhorse types were this under-appreciated. I think the position is making a big comeback now though. They’re back in the first round, top ten even with regularity and they’re carrying offenses again.  

RBM said:
Agreed. They could sign Albert Wilson if they need a slot guy for a fraction of the cost of Landry and he would cost any players or draft picks.  He’s relatively young and he already knows the KC offense. 

He's also a fraction of the player Landry is. 
Agreed but I was also agreeing with the idea that he’s not a game changer.  He’s a reliable compiler who may or may not get the same number of targets as he got in Miami if he were to go to the Bears. If he gets significantly less targets, then he becomes an Albert Wilson type player. 

• Smile
Agreed but I was also agreeing with the idea that he’s not a game changer.  He’s a reliable compiler who may or may not get the same number of targets as he got in Miami if he were to go to the Bears. If he gets significantly less targets, then he becomes an Albert Wilson type player. 
I see what you are saying, but I would think if they acquired Landry, than Landry becomes the centerpiece of the passing game. 140 targets would be likely, plus Trubisky's strength is throwing in between the numbers.

I understand the Wilson connection to Nagy, but man, Wilson has done almost nothing to think he's even a good #3 WR. If the Nagy connection didn't exist, would anyone even be talking about Wilson?

Landry is a #1 WR in my opinion, maybe its not in the ideal, Julio Jones kind of way, but he can absolutely have a passing game built around him. I'd rather have him than any other FA WR.

Landry, to me, is a "between the 20's" kinda guy.  He's the guy that gets you near the redzone so someone else can pound it in or take a jump pass.  He's nice to have (REAL nice to have) but you can't break the bank for a dude like that when you don't have the supporting cast to make him effective.  Landry is basically a younger Edelman (please don't make me pull out the historical stats and their relative size comparison), but the Bears don't have Gronk, Brady, Cooks, etc. to free him up to do what he can do.

IMO, the expectation level if the Bears acquire Landry should be kept in the real world.  With the current cast of the Bears, you're looking at Landry being their version of Crabtree.  80-90 catches, 900-1000 yards and 6 TDs or so (which is not shabby) seems realistic.  Bears would also expect him to be the kind of guy that manages to get open on those 3rd and 4's and get you a first down.  That puts him into 1999 Bobby Engram territory (88/947/4)....and I aint emptying the wallet for Bobby Engram

Edit to add: Engram had a whopping 148 targets in 1999.  Wow.

• Smile
I see what you are saying, but I would think if they acquired Landry, than Landry becomes the centerpiece of the passing game. 140 targets would be likely, plus Trubisky's strength is throwing in between the numbers.

I understand the Wilson connection to Nagy, but man, Wilson has done almost nothing to think he's even a good #3 WR. If the Nagy connection didn't exist, would anyone even be talking about Wilson?

Landry is a #1 WR in my opinion, maybe its not in the ideal, Julio Jones kind of way, but he can absolutely have a passing game built around him. I'd rather have him than any other FA WR.
Important stat to keep in mind before anointing Landry a number 1....under 9ypc last year. 

I tend to see this as an Alex Smith thing rather than a knock on Wilson. Or any of the other WRs they’ve had in KC, not named Tyreek Hill in the last few years.  Smith never throws to his #2 or #3 WR. His progression always seems to go Hill, Kelce, dump off to RB.  So I’m not sure we can dismiss the skills of any of the KC WR #2 or #3 in that offense as long as Alex was the QB. 

It’ll be interesting to see if any other WRs emerge in KC this year with Maholmes at QB. 

Landry, to me, is a "between the 20's" kinda guy.  He's the guy that gets you near the redzone so someone else can pound it in or take a jump pass.  He's nice to have (REAL nice to have) but you can't break the bank for a dude like that when you don't have the supporting cast to make him effective.  Landry is basically a younger Edelman (please don't make me pull out the historical stats and their relative size comparison), but the Bears don't have Gronk, Brady, Cooks, etc. to free him up to do what he can do.

IMO, the expectation level if the Bears acquire Landry should be kept in the real world.  With the current cast of the Bears, you're looking at Landry being their version of Crabtree.  80-90 catches, 900-1000 yards and 6 TDs or so (which is not shabby) seems realistic.  Bears would also expect him to be the kind of guy that manages to get open on those 3rd and 4's and get you a first down.  That puts him into 1999 Bobby Engram territory (88/947/4)....and I aint emptying the wallet for Bobby Engram
Completely agreed.  If they could get a similar player cheap that would be prudent.

ETA: funny thing, and maybe I'm wrong here, but I was just thinking that Calvin Ridley reminds me of a more athletic Jarvis Landry.

Interesting that you went with Engram, just that you reached that far back.  

Important stat to keep in mind before anointing Landry a number 1....under 9ypc last year. 
True. Perhaps a better QB and team would help? (And yes, I do think the bears and trubisky are improvements over the fins last year)

Is that important? Cutler/Moore were awful, and the offense was very un-creative. He's been over that every other year of his career. 

Edit to add: Engram had a whopping 148 targets in 1999.  Wow.
I think 100 catches 1,100 yards and 8 TD's is well within reason, with upside for more if Trubisky makes a leap. Landry is a much better WR than Edelman ever was in my opinion. Landry would have been a monster in NE. 

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I see Landry as being more in line with Hines Ward where he is a #1 caliber player, though not an excellent downfield threat. I'd rather have him then your more downfield #1 WR's like Cooks or Hill or even Jeffery. There's something to be said for extreme reliability, especially with an inexperienced QB.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I see Landry as being more in line with Hines Ward
That's not an insane comparison.  Looking at Hines Ward season by season you could argue that Landry, by careers end, will blow past Ward's numbers regardless of where he lands.

And don't get me wrong, if he magically appeared in Bears camp for free he'd be fantastic to have.  But I'd also be a little worried about bringing such a volitle guy onto a young team.

Pace has given me no reason to be hopeful in Free agency due to his past mistakes, but I'd love to see Robinson, Wilson, and Burton signed. About 25ish for those 3. Pair them with Shaheen, Cohen, and Howard and they might have something special. Fuller and and a mid-tier CB for about 20 total.  Would leave around 45 left. Extend Goldman and Amos.  Then we're onto something. 

Then in draft, go after a couple edge guys,  OLBS, and a tackle or guard

• Smile
Yeah, but remember that Fox was HC, so you can't put all the FA blame on Pace.  The GM and HC have to agree on FA decisions.  It wasn't like Pace was picking up guys and forcing Fox to accept them.  It was a collaborative failure, with more of a lean towards what Fox thought was acceptable.

Landry is another BMarsh (bad locker room guy), but not as good and too pricey.  Pass.  Not sold on Robinson.  Damaged goods.

Albert Wilson?  Come on down.

Any players you guys like from the combine?

Some guys that caught my eye (more or less outside of the big names):

WR Valdes-Scantling

CB Tolliver

FS/SS Apke

OLB Tremaine Edmunds (his bro isn't bad)

OLB Vander Esch

OLB Carter

DE Sweat (convert to OLB)

TE Gesicki (could use him as hybrid TE/WR)

Pace has given me no reason to be hopeful in Free agency due to his past mistakes, but I'd love to see Robinson, Wilson, and Burton signed. About 25ish for those 3. Pair them with Shaheen, Cohen, and Howard and they might have something special. Fuller and and a mid-tier CB for about 20 total.  Would leave around 45 left. Extend Goldman and Amos.  Then we're onto something. 

Then in draft, go after a couple edge guys,  OLBS, and a tackle or guard
The reason I'm hopeful is that I think he has a more competent coaching staff with him to help make decisions on players.  Pace wasn't making all those decision on his own the last few years, I'm sure Fox had his opinions on guys.

Yeah, but remember that Fox was HC, so you can't put all the FA blame on Pace.  The GM and HC have to agree on FA decisions.  It wasn't like Pace was picking up guys and forcing Fox to accept them.  It was a collaborative failure, with more of a lean towards what Fox thought was acceptable.

Landry is another BMarsh (bad locker room guy), but not as good and too pricey.  Pass.  Not sold on Robinson.  Damaged goods.

Albert Wilson?  Come on down.

Any players you guys like from the combine?

Some guys that caught my eye (more or less outside of the big names):

WR Valdes-Scantling

CB Tolliver

FS/SS Apke

OLB Tremaine Edmunds (his bro isn't bad)

OLB Vander Esch

OLB Carter

DE Sweat (convert to OLB)

TE Gesicki (could use him as hybrid TE/WR)
Don't agree with the first part at all.  Pace was the GM and personnel decisions were his, buck stops there.  Trying to pawn that off on Fox is I think a really dishonest way to defend some really questionable decisions by Pace.

Forget trading for Landry (paying the kind of money he wants for a slot WR is absurd) and go after Allen Robinson and/or Sammy Watkins at WR. 

The #Bears are going to apply the transition tag to CB Kyle Fuller, sources say. With their cap situation, they can match any offer that would come in. This keeps a top talent at a key position on the team.

Rappaport: A fascinating move by the #Bears to transition tag CB Kyle Fuller at $12.97M. This gives them past the July 15 franchise tag deadline to do a long-team deal, which they want to do. Last year, they didn't pick up his 5th-year option thanks to injury. When healthy, he was a star.

Honestly not my preferred path.  Seemed like he was willing to work with them and give them a shot at match/beat regardless without setting this artificial salary starting point for him.  Really interested to see what his market will be.  Either way, I am glad we will most likely be able to keep him and that we didn't use one of the franchise tags.

Pace has given me no reason to be hopeful in Free agency due to his past mistakes, but I'd love to see Robinson, Wilson, and Burton signed. About 25ish for those 3. Pair them with Shaheen, Cohen, and Howard and they might have something special.
If those are the positions they target, I'd rather see Landry, Wright and Eifert. 

Users who are viewing this thread