What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home Alarm system advice? (1 Viewer)

NotSmart

Footballguy
This thread has rekindled my interest in a home alarm system.

SimpliSafe was mentioned in that thread, and it initially looked great as I read the company's website, but a little digging turned up these two major concerns with it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2015/01/29/this-popular-wireless-alarm-system-can-be-hacked-with-a-magnet-and-scotch-tape/#5324e9635950

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2016/02/17/simplisafe-alarm-attacks/#269942ec79a3

It didn't take long to realize there are a lot of got'chas to be considered, many of them I'm not even aware of yet.

So I'm just starting my research - if there's interest, I'll post what I learn and eventually decide on.

It would be great to hear advice and experiences from FBGs that have already have a system.

Here are the various features I'd like in a system:

• Reasonably priced, both the system and monthly monitoring
  • Decent functionality even without monthly monitoring being purchased (e.g. sends alerts to your phone)
  • Wireless
  • Easily self installed, easy to use
  • Vulnerabilities such as in the above links have been resolved, no glaring weakness
This thread mentioned a few things I'll have to read up on: Door Devil, window protection, and Frontpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, interesting, I hadn't run across that one yet:  http://blueirissoftware.com/

After a quick glance at their website, I see I'll also have to stop and think what I'm really trying to accomplish with a home security system.
It's a little bit of a complicated software, but, that's why it's so powerful. Does all the alerts etc, can set cameras to act as sensors for doors or windows. If you had the inclination you could build a full security system for a fraction of the cost of some of these systems that cost thousands of dollars, and then want a monthly fee on top of that. The user manual gives a good idea of all the things it can do. If you can't find it online let me know and ill give you a pdf. 

Just as an example this software allows you to do the following with the field of view of the camera.

Set motion detection by time of movement

Set motion detection by contrast

Set motion detection by area, like a door or window.

Alerts include email, phone call or anything you can write a script for like playing a noise through speakers or sound system hooked up to your computer.  You can schedule PTZ of areas. You can set unlimited areas and zones.

Something I'm thinking about is matching motion detection for cameras to my Phillips smart light bulbs so when it senses motion in an area it will turn on the light (like motion lights, but picked up by the camera) as well as record. 

Imagine a burglar trying to break into your house through a window. The light next to the window turns on, a message through your speakers says repeatedly "intruder alert access by front room window", the act is recorded on tape and an alert is texted your smart phone. 

SmartThings can be used to set up home security like the descriptions above. I'm guessing it's a bit more user friendly than the blue iris thing and has probably more compatibility with home automation stuff. 

The house we bought a couple years ago had a regular alarm system through a local company. We still pay for the service but honestly haven't armed the alarm in two years. Low crime area and just too much hassle. Maybe if we ever travel we will. 

But we also have a smartthings home automation setup that is great. Our door locks, garage door, lighting, motion sensors and door sensors are all connected. If we bought more sensors to cover all of the downstairs windows, I could basically cut the cord on the monthly alarm. Very tempted to do that. 

The thing I like most about smartthings is I can control it all and watch it all from my phone. So when you're traveling you can see what's up. Or in the middle of the night if you hear a noise, you just grab your phone and see if there is any motion downstairs. Stuff like that. But as noted above you could customize it in an unlimited number of ways. 

For example rather than having to check my phone I am thinking about connecting it up to a small LED light in my bedroom. When there is motion downstairs, have it turn on a different color depending on which room in the house has motion detected. (Something dim so that it doesn't wake us; or perhaps a low buzzer so it does wake us but not alert a person downstairs or wake the whole neighborhood--don't need the cops showing up every time we go downstairs for a glass of water). 

One thing I haven't added yet is cameras. Still debating whether and what to add on that front. Would be nice to be able to see a live shot of the main rooms on our first floor at any time from upstairs or when we are traveling. 

Smartthings can be buggy in some respects especially if you don't know what you're doing, but overall I've been reslly happy with it. Again, using it mostly for home automation now, but it has built in features and capabilities for full on alarm functions. 

1. Dig a trench.

2. Fill trench with water.

3. Purchase one way trip ticket to Florida.

4. Apply for permit for Alligator. 

5. Purchase alligator.

6. Rent uhaul.

7. Put alligator in uhaul.

8. Drive alligator home.

9. Place alligator in trench.

I think tonydeads advice is good.  I have spent several months researching commercial-grade intrusion, access, and video systems, and they are all over the board.  I'd recommend hiring a security company to come out and give you an estimate on a system.  There's lots of systems and manufacturers out there with pros and cons.  I personally am a big Honeywell fan and they make some home security systems too, so check those out too.

Also, with the IoT becoming larger and larger, security issues are growing rapidly, with exploits and vulnerabilities being found in what are seemingly devices that are in their infancy.  Developers are likely being rushed by manufacturers to get GUI's a features developed with security of said devices being a back burner issue, something that can either be patched later on or simply ignored and integrated in a new version of the product that can be sold.  Consumers, most of which have no idea about security of these kinds of devices, are tossing them onto their home networks with little to no networked security in place and are exposing these devices to everyone on the internet.  While they are often password protected or whatnot, with the usually poor job on software-development with regards to security, vulnerabilities can be found and exploited without needing to know the password.  

With that said, just do what you're already doing: research these devices and see what pops up on Google.  For instance, a quick "smartthings hack" gives us this vulnerability  (sorry otis).  Does that mean that it isn't a good buy?  I'm not sure, but I know I wouldn't purchase it.  Typically, the products with the larger consumer base are those that are going to get targeted and unless there's development team and amazing product support (constant live patches), then they're all sitting ducks.  

So, the morale of the story is, just be wary of what you're connecting to your network and what you're exposing to the outside world.  If you're not sure about whether something is being exposed to the outside world or not, hire a professional. 

I just bought the Simplisafe system based off that other thread so thanks for posting the Forbes article.  I'm not overly worried though, the simple solution seems to be to not post the sign in my yard saying I have that system.  If a would be burglar doesn't know what system I have how is he going to hack it? Frankly, I live in a low crime neighborhood and am only getting the system because my wife gets scared when I travel for work. Give me the low cost system with some vulnerabilities over the higher cost options. I have my dog as a back up.

So wouldn't old school analog/wired systems with a hidden local HDD still be the way to go? 

Given the rush to make everything wireless I imagine right now there is a surplus of old but functional security equipment out there and there might be some deals. 

I just bought the Simplisafe system based off that other thread so thanks for posting the Forbes article.  I'm not overly worried though, the simple solution seems to be to not post the sign in my yard saying I have that system.  If a would be burglar doesn't know what system I have how is he going to hack it? Frankly, I live in a low crime neighborhood and am only getting the system because my wife gets scared when I travel for work. Give me the low cost system with some vulnerabilities over the higher cost options. I have my dog as a back up.
Thsee are my thoughts too.  I have standard TVs, computers, electronics that everyone else has... nobody is going to hack my system to get my stuff... a basic, inexpensive system is all I need.

Just as an example this software allows you to do the following with the field of view of the camera.

Set motion detection by time of movement

Set motion detection by contrast

Set motion detection by area, like a door or window.

Alerts include email, phone call or anything you can write a script for like playing a noise through speakers or sound system hooked up to your computer.  You can schedule PTZ of areas. You can set unlimited areas and zones.

Something I'm thinking about is matching motion detection for cameras to my Phillips smart light bulbs so when it senses motion in an area it will turn on the light (like motion lights, but picked up by the camera) as well as record. 
This sounds like it would be a very flexible and customizable solution. So  :blackdot:  for sure.

But I'm guessing it would have a learning curve and take lots of tinkering - not necessarily bad things, in fact it would probably be lots of fun to set up, and to intimately know how your system works.

At the moment, I'm thinking this is an idea I'll keep in my hip pocket, and maybe use this to eventually augment whatever solution I end up with - to fill gaps or add functionality a more traditional system doesn't offer.

Initially, I'm thinking of something that's pretty quick and idiot proof to set up and run, and I can kind of forget about it once it is up and running. 

This thread has rekindled my interest in a home alarm system.

SimpliSafe was mentioned in that thread, and it initially looked great as I read the company's website, but a little digging turned up these two major concerns with it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2015/01/29/this-popular-wireless-alarm-system-can-be-hacked-with-a-magnet-and-scotch-tape/#5324e9635950

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2016/02/17/simplisafe-alarm-attacks/#269942ec79a3

It didn't take long to realize there are a lot of got'chas to be considered, many of them I'm not even aware of yet.

So I'm just starting my research - if there's interest, I'll post what I learn and eventually decide on.

It would be great to hear advice and experiences from FBGs that have already have a system.

Here are the various features I'd like in a system:

• Reasonably priced, both the system and monthly monitoring
  • Decent functionality even without monthly monitoring being purchased (e.g. sends alerts to your phone)
  • Wireless
  • Easily self installed, easy to use
  • Vulnerabilities such as in the above links have been resolved, no glaring weakness
This thread mentioned a few things I'll have to read up on: Door Devil, window protection, and Frontline.
I used to install them for a 3rd-party contractor with ADT.  The best system in terms of affordability and protection both is to just buy yourself a couple yard signs and window decals and post them up.  Just the illusion of a security system reduces the likelihood of a break-in by 90%, and you save yourself $1000 or so over the course of 2 years.  

If you absolutely insist on having one, I would definitely recommend getting a system with a cell-unit for contacting local authorities.  Kind of goes without saying but a savvy-enough robber could just cut the wire to a landline-based unit and tee off on your stuff.  

SmartThings can be used to set up home security like the descriptions above. I'm guessing it's a bit more user friendly than the blue iris thing and has probably more compatibility with home automation stuff. 

The house we bought a couple years ago had a regular alarm system through a local company. We still pay for the service but honestly haven't armed the alarm in two years. Low crime area and just too much hassle. Maybe if we ever travel we will. 

But we also have a smartthings home automation setup that is great. Our door locks, garage door, lighting, motion sensors and door sensors are all connected. If we bought more sensors to cover all of the downstairs windows, I could basically cut the cord on the monthly alarm. Very tempted to do that. 

The thing I like most about smartthings is I can control it all and watch it all from my phone. So when you're traveling you can see what's up. Or in the middle of the night if you hear a noise, you just grab your phone and see if there is any motion downstairs. Stuff like that. But as noted above you could customize it in an unlimited number of ways. 

For example rather than having to check my phone I am thinking about connecting it up to a small LED light in my bedroom. When there is motion downstairs, have it turn on a different color depending on which room in the house has motion detected. (Something dim so that it doesn't wake us; or perhaps a low buzzer so it does wake us but not alert a person downstairs or wake the whole neighborhood--don't need the cops showing up every time we go downstairs for a glass of water). 

One thing I haven't added yet is cameras. Still debating whether and what to add on that front. Would be nice to be able to see a live shot of the main rooms on our first floor at any time from upstairs or when we are traveling. 

Smartthings can be buggy in some respects especially if you don't know what you're doing, but overall I've been reslly happy with it. Again, using it mostly for home automation now, but it has built in features and capabilities for full on alarm functions. 
Thanks, I'll read up on SmartThings and its home security possibilities, I appreciate all the info.

Off the top of my head, my biggest concern would be to make sure something like this didn't unintentionally introduce vulnerabilities - e.g. someone hacks into it, they can actually unlock your doors.

1. Dig a trench.

2. Fill trench with water.

3. Purchase one way trip ticket to Florida.

4. Apply for permit for Alligator. 

5. Purchase alligator.

6. Rent uhaul.

7. Put alligator in uhaul.

8. Drive alligator home.

9. Place alligator in trench.

I think tonydeads advice is good.  I have spent several months researching commercial-grade intrusion, access, and video systems, and they are all over the board.  I'd recommend hiring a security company to come out and give you an estimate on a system.  There's lots of systems and manufacturers out there with pros and cons.  I personally am a big Honeywell fan and they make some home security systems too, so check those out too.
Thanks, I"ll add Honeywell to the research list.

I've lived without a security system for 25+ years so I'm going to take a little time to figure out what's available now and what seems like a best fit.

I was initially thinking DIY, but it probably does make sense to have someone come out and give an estimate and talk over pros and cons with them.

I'll do that as soon as I'm more educated.

Even small dogs can alert / deter to some extent.
My brilliant Corgi gives one big woof when someone is at the door.

It actually sounds pretty impressive and might actually be a genuine deterrent.

But them she starts whining for whoever is outside to come in and feed her, so probably not actually a deterrent.

Many of the same third-party installers also offer Dish packages with their stuff.  So it can be very sales-driven and not at all about having the conviction to protect you and your family.  The sales people would promise people the sun and the moon as long as it got us in the door.

It can be a very lucrative and costly thing for the end user.  We had a par price we could offer on each sensor, or a commission price in which we net all of the overage.  Generally we would wait until we got the hole in the wall to go over prices.  Usually this number would range somewhere between $1,300-$2k for everything, with more moderate prices for more down to earth systems.

I doubt that all third party vendors are that scummy but Protect Your Home certainly was.  The big meetings we would go to in Indianapolis were all about sales, and much of the ivory tower management would talk about sales tactics like looking up the sex offender registry and mentioning it to women, anything to drive up sales for us.  Preying on people that were scared or recently broken in to.  We're talking an easy 800-900% markup on the cost of the sensors, real cheap stuff manufactured by GE.  I loved that job and the people so much but was disgusted with the company.  Make sure you read up on the actual company doing the installing.  If it's from a newspaper clipping it's probably just someone out to ring you up for sensors.  Count up all your doors and windows and make sure you get a solid price for each sensor before they put the hole in the wall.  

Also, with the IoT becoming larger and larger, security issues are growing rapidly, with exploits and vulnerabilities being found in what are seemingly devices that are in their infancy.  Developers are likely being rushed by manufacturers to get GUI's a features developed with security of said devices being a back burner issue, something that can either be patched later on or simply ignored and integrated in a new version of the product that can be sold.  Consumers, most of which have no idea about security of these kinds of devices, are tossing them onto their home networks with little to no networked security in place and are exposing these devices to everyone on the internet.  While they are often password protected or whatnot, with the usually poor job on software-development with regards to security, vulnerabilities can be found and exploited without needing to know the password.  

With that said, just do what you're already doing: research these devices and see what pops up on Google.  For instance, a quick "smartthings hack" gives us this vulnerability  (sorry otis).  Does that mean that it isn't a good buy?  I'm not sure, but I know I wouldn't purchase it.  Typically, the products with the larger consumer base are those that are going to get targeted and unless there's development team and amazing product support (constant live patches), then they're all sitting ducks.  

So, the morale of the story is, just be wary of what you're connecting to your network and what you're exposing to the outside world.  If you're not sure about whether something is being exposed to the outside world or not, hire a professional. 
Thanks, really good points, and as an IT person, definitely my largest concern with these.

It's actually probably going to be kind of difficult to really settle on one of these systems because of this concern.  

If nothing else, I'll be sure to set up google searches/alerts to keep on top of any vulnerabilities that might pop up for whatever system I choose.

Thsee are my thoughts too.  I have standard TVs, computers, electronics that everyone else has... nobody is going to hack my system to get my stuff... a basic, inexpensive system is all I need.
I agree with these thoughts.  I'm pretty sure almost all the systems except super expensive ones are going to have some vulnerabilities.

There's no reason my house would stand out as a target, and there's literally nothing I can think of that would really be practical or worth it to steal.  Big screens?... practically a dime a dozen and good luck carrying them out.  Desktop computers?  An inexpensive laptop?  My handgun if they knew I had it, and could find it would probably be the only practical thing to steal.

I'm lucky to be in a low crime area as well, but there was a scary incident a few years ago where some someone broke into a local home, waited for the family to come home, tied them all up, then robbed the place.  

No one was injured, but just imagine trying to get over that. :(

Ultimately, my biggest interest is just doing my best to keep someone out in the first place - but being alerted to it if they do try to come in and hopefully incentivizing them to immediately leave (e.g. loud siren from system).

Just put the stickers on your windows. Burglars will move onto the next house.

I used to install them for a 3rd-party contractor with ADT.  The best system in terms of affordability and protection both is to just buy yourself a couple yard signs and window decals and post them up.  Just the illusion of a security system reduces the likelihood of a break-in by 90%, and you save yourself $1000 or so over the course of 2 years.  

If you absolutely insist on having one, I would definitely recommend getting a system with a cell-unit for contacting local authorities.  Kind of goes without saying but a savvy-enough robber could just cut the wire to a landline-based unit and tee off on your stuff.  
That's the one thing I did already do a long time ago; I agree with this reasoning.

My thinking was to buy a genuine sign and stickers, i.e. not reproductions that look a little different from the real thing.  The reproductions might be a lot better now.

So I bought an authentic ADT yard sign and stickers from eBay - this was probably 20 years ago.  ADT yard signs are probably what I see most around my area for the houses that have signs.

I decided to put the yard sign right by the front door, but opted against putting the stickers on the windows.  I was trying to strike a balance between making it "look" like I have a system, but not going overboard by putting stickers on all the windows - then it might look like: A) I don't have a system but am trying really hard to look like I do, and/or B) there's lots of valuable stuff in here.

I agree, a cell unit seems like pretty much a requirement to avoid the possibility of the phone line being cut.

I mean, I seriously wonder how often a phone line really ever gets cut for a robbery.

But if I'm going to the expense of having a monitored system and paying for the monitoring and expecting the police and me to be notified if an event does happen, not going the extra step of having cellular would seem silly.

Many of the same third-party installers also offer Dish packages with their stuff.  So it can be very sales-driven and not at all about having the conviction to protect you and your family.  The sales people would promise people the sun and the moon as long as it got us in the door.

It can be a very lucrative and costly thing for the end user.  We had a par price we could offer on each sensor, or a commission price in which we net all of the overage.  Generally we would wait until we got the hole in the wall to go over prices.  Usually this number would range somewhere between $1,300-$2k for everything, with more moderate prices for more down to earth systems.

I doubt that all third party vendors are that scummy but Protect Your Home certainly was.  The big meetings we would go to in Indianapolis were all about sales, and much of the ivory tower management would talk about sales tactics like looking up the sex offender registry and mentioning it to women, anything to drive up sales for us.  Preying on people that were scared or recently broken in to.  We're talking an easy 800-900% markup on the cost of the sensors, real cheap stuff manufactured by GE.  I loved that job and the people so much but was disgusted with the company.  Make sure you read up on the actual company doing the installing.  If it's from a newspaper clipping it's probably just someone out to ring you up for sensors.  Count up all your doors and windows and make sure you get a solid price for each sensor before they put the hole in the wall.  
A long time ago, in my first house, I did purchase a hardwired system.

This was 25+ years ago, so of course no internet to use for research, and no wireless systems were available.

I had to call all the different companies and talk to them and go by gut feel to make a choice.

I ended up going with a local company, and I was very happy with how it all turned out.  The guy that owned the company did the installation and took the better part of a day doing it.  He showed me all the short cuts that the big companies would take during installation and how and why he was doing it differently.

So I'll keep your point in mind and check on a company's reputation and internet comments/complaints to narrow my list.

That's the one thing I did already do a long time ago; I agree with this reasoning.

My thinking was to buy a genuine sign and stickers, i.e. not reproductions that look a little different from the real thing.  The reproductions might be a lot better now.

So I bought an authentic ADT yard sign and stickers from eBay - this was probably 20 years ago.  ADT yard signs are probably what I see most around my area for the houses that have signs.

I decided to put the yard sign right by the front door, but opted against putting the stickers on the windows.  I was trying to strike a balance between making it "look" like I have a system, but not going overboard by putting stickers on all the windows - then it might look like: A) I don't have a system but am trying really hard to look like I do, and/or B) there's lots of valuable stuff in here.
Yeah I follow you.  I wouldn't want that much exposure either.  Having a security system can be a bit of a taboo.  

FYI the hacking thing: it's not just if they can get into your system and who cares because you have nothing more going on.  It's a vulnerability that can lead to further vulnerabilities in your home network.  Do online banking at home and have an exploited vulnerability in your networked security system?  Bet on hackers getting your credentials.  Ever wanted to be part of a bot net?  Well you probably are.  Not trying to be alarmist but I would be cateful about having a cavalier attitude towards IoT security (not saying anyone does, just a general statement).

FYI the hacking thing: it's not just if they can get into your system and who cares because you have nothing more going on.  It's a vulnerability that can lead to further vulnerabilities in your home network.  Do online banking at home and have an exploited vulnerability in your networked security system?  Bet on hackers getting your credentials.  Ever wanted to be part of a bot net?  Well you probably are.  Not trying to be alarmist but I would be cateful about having a cavalier attitude towards IoT security (not saying anyone does, just a general statement).
Thanks for this post and it is definitely something to keep in mind with advancements in technology.  And it's plain dumb that a security system sends unencrypted data... but I digress.

However, I did a quick search and found that the Simply Safe system does not use your home network - instead it uses cellular communication between the base, the sensors, and the rest of the system.  You can access the system via a computer or phone to make changes/updates but you have to log into the main SS website and then the website sends the changes/updates via cellular communication to your system.

So it seems the vulnerabilities of the SS system don't spill over into making your home network less secure.  At least based on my research.  Have you found articles specially saying that SS increases home network risks? 

NotSmart said:
Thanks, added to my research list.

Any quick thoughts on why you chose it and how it's better than its competitors?

Any drawbacks?
Operates on independent cellular network and battery backup, functions without electricity.  If power goes out, deliberately or otherwise, no worries.  Easy access with phone app anywhere to turn on/off/monitor system.  Excellent customer service.  Can hook up virtually any module, from glass shattering detectors to motion sensors to smoke/CO2 detectors.  They call immediately when a module has malfunctioned.  Not cheap ($45/mo I think) but not beyond competitors.  Compared to xfinity home, for example it's not close; latter product very unreliable.  

captain_amazing said:
I could be wrong, but I think most security systems are set up independent of any home network.  Exception might be Xfinity, but their security system is garbage anyway.  i think this is largely a moot point.

Operates on independent cellular network and battery backup, functions without electricity.  If power goes out, deliberately or otherwise, no worries.  Easy access with phone app anywhere to turn on/off/monitor system.  Excellent customer service.  Can hook up virtually any module, from glass shattering detectors to motion sensors to smoke/CO2 detectors.  They call immediately when a module has malfunctioned.  Not cheap ($45/mo I think) but not beyond competitors.  Compared to xfinity home, for example it's not close; latter product very unreliable.  
In today's world where everyone has virtually 24/7 cell phone access, I am not seeing what the need for their operators to monitor the system.  Only serves as a profit stream for the companies with very little value-added.   

I could be wrong, but I think most security systems are set up independent of any home network.  Exception might be Xfinity, but their security system is garbage anyway.  i think this is largely a moot point.
Depends - stuff that has to do with smart homes is typically networked, which is all the rage now and replacing the traditional home secruity system that used to exist over POTS line or even GSM.  But if you are talking about the latter two, then yes, those are typically  closed systems that are only accessible by a monitoring station, but most folks in this thread are talking about self-install smart home devices, which are the ones to be concerned about.  But that's just burglars and fire - things like cameras and smart alarms (access control - door, window, etc) are typically done over a network (don't think you'd be able to effectively view a video stream over a POTS or GSM).  

Maybe Comcast security cameras don't go over Ethernet, but I doubt it.  But, they probably lock down network access settings on their devices to only allow IP access from whatever cloud serves as the end user GUI, but that's through a professional installer - a typical home self-installer doesn't do that sort of thing because they don't know they should and likely wouldn't know how anyway.

I second the Frontpoint motion. Have been very happy with their customer from install to an occasional question that needed an answer. Can use their hardware either monitored or unmonitored. Easy to expand the system (I've added some home control items, including my front door lock and a garage door sensor). Next on the list are two thermostats - to be added soon. The home control side of the equation is awesome.

I've had Simplisafe for a little over a year and I like it.  I'm in a low crime area so the only time its been set off was by me.  

I did keep the yard sign from the local ADT company tho, so people still think I have the old school phone line system.  (The phone line that isn't hooked up, and hopefully the one a dumb crook cuts.)

One thing I really like about Simplisafe is the sensors all use CR123 batteries that have a 10 year shelf life and should last well over 5 years before wearing out.  The keypads use AA batteries and seem to last about a year, but they are easy to replace.

I travel for work quite a bit and the wife like Simplisafe, gives her piece of mind so that's what matters to me.  Plus we like getting texts when the system is armed/disarmed.  It will also text which PIN was used to disarm, and our daughter has her own PIN for this reason.

We've had a few minor vandalism incidents in the 'hood lately so now I'm looking for a camera system.  

jon_mx said:
In today's world where everyone has virtually 24/7 cell phone access, I am not seeing what the need for their operators to monitor the system.  Only serves as a profit stream for the companies with very little value-added.   
That works fine if you are always monitoring your cell phone.  I imagine many are like me in that they shut off, mute, or otherwise disable their connection to the phone while in important meetings, taking a nap, traveling and have no cell service, or sleeping at night...which is exactly the sort of time I want 3rd party monitoring and quick response in the event of an emergency.

I have a Nest thermostat at home and a few Amazon Echoes, and am interested in getting into the Smarthome stuff. As far as security goes, though, at this point all I'm interested in are maybe a camera outside the front door, one outside the garage, and possibly one in the living room. I'm happy to slap a few stickers on my windows and front door to act as a major deterrent, with the cameras helping in that regard. What camera system is both economical and fairly robust (ability to check remotely, motion sensor, video capability, etc.), or do I need a home security system in order to do that? Has anyone tried the Nest cameras and if so, can they report back on how they've worked?

Anyone ever see or have experience with the samsung cameras they sell at Costco? Was thinking about getting a couple of those for now to get started.

Simply safe. Works as described. Put this alarm in my dads house after he died.  Have it there while we distribute belongings.  

Last night got a call from simply safe.  Someone tripped alarm.  Long story short, someone kicked in back door and triggered alarm. Cops were there in less than 4 minutes. Didn't catch burglar but I'm guessing siren scared him away.  

Nothing taken. Good alarm.  

The only thing stopping me from going with a DIY solution like a bunch of SmartThings sensors (which I already have for other purposes) is that I'd like the remote monitoring/notification. Like, someone trips an alarm, I want someone outside the house calling the cops for me.

Is there a DIY option for this anywhere? Does any service offer just the monitoring service separate from the sales, install, and rental of all their equipment, too? I kind of doubt it, but, if anyone would know, it'd be the FFA.
Almost all of the DIY solutions offer this, but it's through internet connectivity.  There are some DIY that integrate with cloud solutions for alerts, but they usually still rely on ethernet and not POTS lines.  Generally, some device (one of the hubs for the smart/IoT devices) sits on your network and sends triggered alerts to whatever you want - SMS, email, etc.  If you're worried about internet outages or the line getting cut or something, you can use something like uptimerobot to monitor your gateway and to send you further alerts if the signal to your box ever goes down.

I mean, I'm willing to pay for a home monitoring service, where some dude in a call center can call the cops for me. I don't want just SMS to my phone, if my alarm goes off in the night when I'm home in bed alone. That doesn't really help if it's some crackhead breaking in.
This is exactly what I want. No witnesses.

Dead men tell no tales. 

I would also submit that layers of multiple redundant or slightly different options are very attainable these days.  I started with just Simplisafe, then added Nest cams (dropcam), then added Smartthings, and then Blink cams.  The Simplisafe is the primary security system but the cams also give me motion alerts and upload clips to the cloud instantly, and Smartthings can tell me where motion has been activated in various rooms.  I no longer have the Nest cams on the cloud service since the Blinks have been so good but they served the same purpose. Redundant motion sensors with video confirmation.

I've had a couple instances of false alarms caused by lizards or what not and when the dispatcher from Simplisafe calls my cell phone to see if we want the police sent I can ask them to hold (they will for up to 60 seconds), flip over to the cams and or Smartthings and see if I see any activity.  Saves false calls and if there is a confirmed intruder escalates the call.  I've had this scenario occur once while we were upstairs asleep and once when we were traveling (false alarms, not confirmed intruders).  Very nervewracking but good to have the systems.  Also used this system extensively to monitor the hurricane as it was coming in this fall and when we lost/regained power. Obviously after the Hurricane for a few hours while we had no power the entire system was down but the whole town was under curfew with heavy patrols so no big deal.

Warts and all, highly recommend them all, but look at multiple layers.

Users who are viewing this thread