Insein

*Official 2017 Philadelphia Eagles* - NFL Draft just over the horizon: Who's going to be the Eagles 1st Pick?

1,222 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, renesauz said:

Think this division will be a monster next year, with any of Dallas/NY/Philly taking it. I'd project the Redskins at the bottom, but they are no joke either. The fourth place team next year will probably win 7 or 8 games much like this year. THinking more along the lines of 2, 3 years out and feel like Dallas and Philly are better aligned longer term

I don't see how anyone can really say that we are in the hunt with Dallas next year.  They would have won 14 games this year  if they tried against us.  There's almost no reason to see any regression... but even if you somehow see them getting worse, they are a lock for 11 or 12 wins next year.  Can we go from 7 to 12 wins next year?  I highly doubt that.

I optimistically see next years approximate win totals as:

Dallas 11 or 12
Philly 9 or 10
NYG 9
Wash 7

2 minutes ago, Deamon said:

I don't see how anyone can really say that we are in the hunt with Dallas next year.  They would have won 14 games this year  if they tried against us.  There's almost no reason to see any regression... but even if you somehow see them getting worse, they are a lock for 11 or 12 wins next year.  Can we go from 7 to 12 wins next year?  I highly doubt that.

Dallas 11 or 12
Philly 9 or 10
NYG 9
Wash 7

Dallas went from 4 to 13 wins this year, can't really predict it that way. Will be much more interesting next year for sure though. 

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, renesauz said:

I actually think QB is one reason to hope that Dallas will fade and be very beatable the next few years. Dak has the look of a solid starter but not a ROgers/Brees/Manning/Brady type guy who can carry a squad. I think any of 20 (or more) NFL QBs could have had similar results in Dallas this year with that line and running game.

Or he could be the next Russell Wilson. Guess we'll find out.

40 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Dallas 11 or 12
Philly 9 or 10
NYG 9
Wash 7

We lost how many one score games? Faced how many teams in a row coming off of a bye? LOst how many of those to 10 win playoff teams? Philly played Dallas very tough in the first matchup, and had a chance to win. Assuming we would have been blown out yesterday is silliness. Zeke out helped, but that line played. Dak sat down early, but even a rusty Romo isn't much of a downgrade, if any. And the Eagles played short-handed as well.

The Eagles are a heck of a lot closer than you're giving them credit for here. Also not being mentioned is that Howie has already locked up virtually EVERY SINGLE player of significance...we aren't losing much, if anything. There's a reason the Eagles are short on cap space...but unlike most teams in that situation, it's actually a damn GOOD reason.

If Wentz corrects the mechanical issues in the off-season, and we have no reason to believe he can't/won't, there's no reason why this Eagles team can't compete for the division as soon as next year. Dallas will be the favorite for sure, but the Eagles will be more than good enough to make them work hard for it.

4 hours ago, georg013 said:

I have no horse in this race but the poster above is really reaching. The Dallas Cowboys are that far ahead of you and that is without Jaylon Smith playing a down. They will address the WR position this offseason and look out. The division runs through Dallas. Anyone without rose colored glasses can see that. 

Its ok Cornelius Ingram didn't play a down for the Eagles this year either. 

But really, a team that finished 4-12 a year ago is that far ahead longer term?  In the age of injuries and salary caps, there aren't a ton of teams that are that far ahead of anyone.  I think the Cowboys are a better team but windows come and go quickly.

Elliot has 884 carries over the past 3-years.  In order to keep that o-line going to have to shell out big bucks.  Every team is going to address the WR position this year.  Who are the Cowboys going to get?  Kendall Wright?

Defense was a welcome surprise but see how long they can keep it together.  

Add in the potential for injuries and who knows.  So Cowboys regress a bit and Eagles improve and where does that get us?  Eagles finished 7-9 (6-9 if you want to discount yesterday's game) and were up 10 points when they first played the Cowboys.  They will also improve and honestly, they have a ton of room to improve so imagine the Eagles w/ average CB and WR play.  

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, Insein said:

Or he could be the next Russell Wilson. Guess we'll find out.

That is really the key.  Dak hasn't really been forced to win games for Dallas.  And I don't mean leading a game winning drive.  Dallas was 30th in passing attempts per game.  Seattle was dead last in 2012-14 before moving up to 27th in 2015 and 19th this year and we've seen how that has gone.  Now I know there are a lot of things at play in Seattles numbers and Dallas has the best line and Zeke so it makes sense.  

But at some point in this passing league, Dak will be relied upon more.  Luckily he'll be eased into it and he is on a very team friendly contract much like Wilson but time will tell. 

2 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Oh please. Dallas got decent QB play and a lights out RB star this year, that was the difference. They could just as well finish 3rd or 4th next year.

Dax is nothing more then a Poor mans Donovan McNabb. He's McNabb with weapons but I think McNabb was a more talented overall QB when it comes to athleticism. Give McNabb that Oline, Dez, Witten and Zeke and he'd put up similar if not better overall numbers. Dax also failed to show up in huge games in College. He was advertised as the next Tebow of the SEC and came up short in terms of numbers and performance and coming up strong in big games. 

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Agree about the Redskins but why would the Giants regress?  I feel like their offense can only improve and their defense should still be very good next year.  This seems to be one of the better divisions in football for years to come

Eli isn't getting any younger and yes he's been healthy all his career but they still have no plan for when he leaves and he'll regress. Their offense is questionable at best unless they decide to go to the run more with perkins and Others. Giants do this once every few yrs. Get hot at the right time despite playing terrible first month or so of the year. All their defense is hired guns at least the playmakers and they have a few like DRC in contract year now. Was still doesn't know about bringing Cousins back and you never know with Washington. They got a lot of Key players heading to FA this offseason including both their top WRs and their 3rd down back in Thompson

5 hours ago, georg013 said:

I have no horse in this race but the poster above is really reaching. The Dallas Cowboys are that far ahead of you and that is without Jaylon Smith playing a down. They will address the WR position this offseason and look out. The division runs through Dallas. Anyone without rose colored glasses can see that. 

You were some bad coaching by Pedersen from being 0-2 against Philly this year. We all know Cowboy fans are arrogant blowhards, but teams 'far ahead', usually can show that in head to head meetings. 

4 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

You were some bad coaching by Pedersen from being 0-2 against Philly this year. We all know Cowboy fans are arrogant blowhards, but teams 'far ahead', usually can show that in head to head meetings. 

I'll tell you one thing. If Garrett coaches the way he did in the last NYG game Dal is playing on the golf coarse after one playoff game. 

41 minutes ago, sporthenry said:

Elliot has 884 carries over the past 3-years.  In order to keep that o-line going to have to shell out big bucks.  

Plus Elliot has a very physical running style. There's a reason teams rarely waste high picks on running backs anymore. With his overuse plus his contact-seeking running style, I don't think he's going to be a huge factor for very long.  And I'd take Wentz over Prescott every day of the week.  He has the league's best line, a top 3 running back, and a top 5 wide receiver. It would be pretty hard not to succeed in that situation. I am very impressed with his composure and the way he carries himself in general. But I think he's being way over hyped as a quarterback.

It's hard to argue against DAL for the next few years....

BUT...

I dont' think Prescott is as good as Wentz..

Their O-Line starts to hit the FA market in 18. They'll have to wrap them up.

Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley don't scare me.

Dez Bryant, IMO....isn't top tier anymore.  He's still very dangerous though.

Jason Witten is at the end. 

That being said....we're going to need a bit of Jerry Jones panache to screw this team up for the next couple of years. 

Damn that Jerry Jones' kid.  I wish now he had explosive diarreha when it was time for them to make their pick in 14 and while he was in bathroom....they  took Manziel instead of Martin. 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, georg013 said:

You have them winning 13 games before this year starting? Of course not, no one did. 

The only predictable part of this game is that NE will be good. It ends after that. 

16 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

You have them winning 13 games before this year starting? Of course not, no one did. 

The only predictable part of this game is that NE will be good. It ends after that. 

Not wo sure there...a prediction that Cleveland will suck seems to be on as firm a predictive footing as NE success, and has held for even longer.  (Since BB left Cleveland, in fact...is this the next great sports curse?)

2 people like this

6 hours ago, georg013 said:

They are, for at least the next two years.  Anybody can narrow the gap in 3 years though - not saying they will, it'll take good drafting and hitting on most draft picks, instead of missing at the clip they have been lately.

16 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

They are, for at least the next two years.  Anybody can narrow the gap in 3 years though - not saying they will, it'll take good drafting and hitting on most draft picks, instead of missing at the clip they have been lately.

The gap can be narrowed in one year. Their D is nothing special in any area.  You can also expect tons of coaches to depart in the next couple years too. 

Eagles 2017 opponents we got the AFC west next year which should be interesting. We get Derrick Carr at home. Jared Goff vs Carson Wentz in LA, KC and Sea both away and I still stand that KC is louder then Sea having been to both in recent yrs and we're up in the air where we meet the Chargers They might move to LA with the Rams or somewhere else but we most likely won't play in San Diego next year which is a shame as I really wanted to go to SD this year for that game. We got SF at home with no Chip, Chicago at Home, our usual Div games H/A. Interesting match up with Den (Will Paxton Lynch be starting?), 'Zona at home, and Carolina away.  

Home
Dallas
NY Giants
Washington
Arizona
San Francisco
Denver
Oakland
Chicago

Away
Dallas
NY Giants
Washington
Los Angeles
Seattle
Kansas City
San Diego
Carolina

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

The gap can be narrowed in one year. Their D is nothing special in any area.  You can also expect tons of coaches to depart in the next couple years too. 

Ok, we can narrow the gap in a year, but I don't think we can close it.  They will be overall better then us next year.  I think we're headed the right direction, but they have a great situation.  And realistically, as long as they try to keep that OL replenished regularly, they'll be fine for the next 5 years, barring major regression from Dak.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, renesauz said:

We lost how many one score games? Faced how many teams in a row coming off of a bye? LOst how many of those to 10 win playoff teams? Philly played Dallas very tough in the first matchup, and had a chance to win. Assuming we would have been blown out yesterday is silliness. Zeke out helped, but that line played. Dak sat down early, but even a rusty Romo isn't much of a downgrade, if any. And the Eagles played short-handed as well.

The Eagles are a heck of a lot closer than you're giving them credit for here. Also not being mentioned is that Howie has already locked up virtually EVERY SINGLE player of significance...we aren't losing much, if anything. There's a reason the Eagles are short on cap space...but unlike most teams in that situation, it's actually a damn GOOD reason.

If Wentz corrects the mechanical issues in the off-season, and we have no reason to believe he can't/won't, there's no reason why this Eagles team can't compete for the division as soon as next year. Dallas will be the favorite for sure, but the Eagles will be more than good enough to make them work hard for it.

Look I think we're better than a 7-9 team for sure.  And I'm all for saying we will improve and Dallas will regress.  But the amount it would take on BOTH ends, makes the probabilities very small.  Dallas will be as good or better next year.  I really don't see how you can see them as anything less than a 12 win team.  And yes we are better than 7-9... heck maybe we're an 8 or 9 win team.  Maybe things go great this offseason and we go up to a 9 or 10 win team, but sproles is older, mathews will be gone, and our great special teams/turnover ratio is likely to be replicated.   I think EVEN if you give us all of the benefits of the doubt (which is unlikely to transpire), that STILL puts us at or below Dallas.

I will be hoping for an epic Dallas collapse but the chances of us winning the div next year aren't that great.  I hope it happens, but I am very hopeful and optimistic that we can win 9 or 10 games next year.  I'm not optimistic that Dallas will drop down from 13/14 wins to 9/10 by losing nobody and adding more talent. 

We need some playmakers on offense in this division in a very very bad way.

1 minute ago, babydemon90 said:

Ok, we can narrow the gap in a year, but I don't think we can close it.  They will be overall better then us next year.  I think we're headed the right direction, but they have a great situation.  And realistically, as long as they try to keep that OL replenished regularly, they'll be fine for the next 5 years, barring major regression from Dak.

Exactly.  We're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we think we're jumping from 7 to 12 wins next year.  yes Dallas did it, but the stars aligning like they did for them is very rare.  Next year I will be cheering as hard as anyone will for an epic Dallas collapse, but my realistic goal next year is 9 or 10 wins and a wildcard spot.

Posted (edited)

Lifelong Dallas fan here who has become kind of a closet Philly fan after taking Wentz in a couple of my dynasty leagues. I own Dak in one, too, but I'm not as high on him as I am Wentz when it comes to FF.

If I was Philly's GM, I'd hit offense hard in the draft & FA. I know you need CB help & would address that, as well, but Wentz is a franchise QB so it's imperative you guys don't waste his talent. Not very many QBs have the kind of upside he's got. Strictly speaking offense, WR is job #1, IMO, followed by shoring up the OL & getting a feature back. I'd go after both a high profile WR in FA & also take one high in the draft. And it's the right year to find a feature back without having to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick. I'd likely spend the rest of the draft mainly upgrading OL & CB.

Edited by Football Jones
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Deamon said:

Exactly.  We're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we think we're jumping from 7 to 12 wins next year.  yes Dallas did it, but the stars aligning like they did for them is very rare.  Next year I will be cheering as hard as anyone will for an epic Dallas collapse, but my realistic goal next year is 9 or 10 wins and a wildcard spot.

I'm not saying we will but we can. They also can just as easy go from 13 wins to no playoffs next year. Hell, this year alone saw 6 teams with 8 or less wins in 2015 make the playoffs in 2016.  Dallas had only 4 in 2015  

My point is that every year things don't go as planned. That's for crap teams and ones who are just supposed to be good. Dallas doesn't have an elite QB or an elite defense. Those are what keep teams good from year to year. That's why I won't be shocked if they lost the division to any of the other East teams next season. 

Edited by Bigboy10182000
1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

I'm not saying we will but we can. They also can just as easy go from 13 wins to no playoffs next year. Hell, this year alone saw 6 teams with 8 or less wins in 2015 make the playoffs in 2016.  Dallas had only 4 in 2015  

My point is that every year things don't go as planned. That's for crap teams and ones who are just supposed to be good. Dallas doesn't have an elite QB or an elite defense. Those are what keep teams good from year to year. That's why I won't be shocked if they lost the division to any of the other East teams next season. 

Yes I agree that things don't go as planned and that anything can happen.  That's why I didn't say its impossible, but I think the chances of us winning the div next year are under 20% so I'd rather have some realistic goals and hopes.  Our attitudes after our start this year was further proof that having unrealistic expectations only causes disappointment.  Doesn't mean I won't cheer for it, but the stars need to majorly align for us to bridge a 7 win gap vs dallas next year.

1 hour ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

This is so true.  Look at 3 of the 4 conference championship teams from last year.  Look at the 2 super bowl teams from last year.  Reid goes to KC and they go from a 2 win team to perennial playoff contenders immediately 

I thought the Eagles made some nice moves this past year.  I see a franchise on the upswing, and much quicker than I thought possible after what Kelly left them.  Well done. 

As for Dallas, they fell into some talent, good for them, but they also have a recipe for controversy with the history and personality of some of their guys.  I don't think they hold that thing together for more than another year. Egos, pending free agency, some party boys, I think things may go to their heads.

I am going to watch with interest what the Eagles do with their draft capital. 

1 person likes this

hey a new 2017 thread!

I'm not rooting for any teams in the playoffs, just good games.  hoping someone beats the #### out of Dallas. I hope we draft a wr/rb somewhat high and bring back djax.  biggest needs in no particular order are cb, wr, rb.   could always use another pass rusher as well.  be interesting to see how the combine goes. but we have to take a cb and rb/wr with our first 2 picks imo. we are so thin at the skill positions its embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

I know the eagles need CBs badly, but sign me up for all the Corey Davis :wub:

Caught part of the game today, don't know if I was wowed but his career stats are impressive. Tell me more about him. Besides he and Williams at Clemson who would we want? Read that Ross disappears at times in one review and that scared me about him. 

Will also be interesting to see if any underclassmen declare that weren't expected too that could come into play first couple rounds. Saw Ford for Va Tech declared and projects 2nd round. 

1 hour ago, GoBirds said:

Caught part of the game today, don't know if I was wowed but his career stats are impressive. Tell me more about him. Besides he and Williams at Clemson who would we want? Read that Ross disappears at times in one review and that scared me about him. 

Will also be interesting to see if any underclassmen declare that weren't expected too that could come into play first couple rounds. Saw Ford for Va Tech declared and projects 2nd round. 

Ridley or Stewart from bama?

3 hours ago, Deamon said:

Yes I agree that things don't go as planned and that anything can happen.  That's why I didn't say its impossible, but I think the chances of us winning the div next year are under 20% so I'd rather have some realistic goals and hopes.  Our attitudes after our start this year was further proof that having unrealistic expectations only causes disappointment.  Doesn't mean I won't cheer for it, but the stars need to majorly align for us to bridge a 7 win gap vs dallas next year.

I'd put the (way too early) odds at more like:

Dallas 35%

Philly 25%

Giants 25%

Skins 15%

As someone else noted, the Cowboys lack an elite QB and an elite defense. Witten seems ready to fall off of a cliff, and a couple injuries to that O-line could crush them. They're still the favorite, and few in here are arguing otherwise. The argument is that that gap isn't really so wide as to make the Eagles a long-shot.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, renesauz said:

I'd put the (way too early) odds at more like:

Dallas 35%

Philly 25%

Giants 25%

Skins 15%

As someone else noted, the Cowboys lack an elite QB and an elite defense. Witten seems ready to fall off of a cliff, and a couple injuries to that O-line could crush them. They're still the favorite, and few in here are arguing otherwise. The argument is that that gap isn't really so wide as to make the Eagles a long-shot.

Dallas at 35% seems very low.  I think most people would take those betting odds.  Heck, most might bet Dallas straight up to win the div vs the field.  I'd put it at, and expect the opening betting percentages to be around:

Dallas:  43%
Giants:  23%
Eagles:  22%
Redskins: 12%

6 hours ago, need2know said:

hey a new 2017 thread!

I'm not rooting for any teams in the playoffs, just good games.  hoping someone beats the #### out of Dallas. I hope we draft a wr/rb somewhat high and bring back djax.  biggest needs in no particular order are cb, wr, rb.   could always use another pass rusher as well.  be interesting to see how the combine goes. but we have to take a cb and rb/wr with our first 2 picks imo. we are so thin at the skill positions its embarrassing.

I think we have too many holes to chase a RB high in the draft.  I like the idea of using one of our 4th rounders on one, or even a third rounder, but OL and CB are more important.  In an ideal world would like to see:

1.  CB
2.  OL
3.  RB/WR
4A.  RB/WR
4B.  BPA
(WR in FA)

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Deamon said:

I think we have too many holes to chase a RB high in the draft.  I like the idea of using one of our 4th rounders on one, or even a third rounder, but OL and CB are more important.  In an ideal world would like to see:

1.  CB
2.  OL
3.  RB/WR
4A.  RB/WR
4B.  BPA
(WR in FA)

The bolded would apply in normal circumstances but ours isn't the norm at all and very far from it. We are not in a position to disregard playmakers and wait to see if we land a gem in the 4th round.  We HAVE to take ANY playmakers that are available.  Our first 3 picks have to include one RB and one WR and one of these 2 has to start or get significant playing time.  This (IMHO) is not even debatable. 

14 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Away
Dallas
NY Giants
Washington
Los Angeles
Seattle
Kansas City
San Diego
Carolina

Was thinking about travelling for a game last year but no real good options, next year looks better.

Rams still playing at the Coliseum but could hit Disneyland while in the area.

Who knows what San Diego is going to do at this point.

Hit up some BBQ in KC or buy raincoats in Seattle.

Drive down to Carolina.

Any suggestions for best place to travel for an away game with the family next year?

Obviously we over react this time of year when we make predictions for next season when the playoffs aren't even done for this one. So many things will changed between now and when they line up for week 1. Coaching changes, Free Agents, draft, injuries, etc, the offseason is a strange mistress. 

We will have a more realistic idea of what this team will do (and the division opponents as well) by August. But that's not really fun. So prognosticate away. 

Eagles 19-0 next year!!! Wooooooo!!!

2 people like this

17 hours ago, Deamon said:

Dallas 11 or 12
Philly 9 or 10
NYG 9
Wash 7

yeah this is off. Dallas has been fortunate avoiding too many debilitating injuries. Their back-up RBs are stellar with A-Mo, but one or 2 injuries on the OL can cost them some games. Am I the only one that remembers the Eagles were up 10 points in the 4th quarter in Dallas?

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

What do you homers see happening at RB next year in Philly?

Sproles will reprise his role. Smallwood will be back and may get an increased role. Mathews will likely be gone. Beyond that, hard to say until we know what they do in FA and the draft. And I have no idea on those fronts.

Edited by Pip's Invitation
1 person likes this