What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Playoff Contest (1 Viewer)

jeaton6

Footballguy
Is the subscriber Playoff contest happening this year? If so, any idea when it will be open?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they just, understandably, need some time. Similar with rankings/articles. Last year was my first and postseason contest came out on Tuesday I recall. Like many I am eager to change it many, many time before Saturday afternoon. ?

(Front page link not yet updated) http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2016week18

I would even do this contest for fee/higher stakes as it is a good compliment (since different format) to FFPC playoff contest. I'm not a big fan of some of the free sites with playoff contest, like NFL.com, that have those multipliers based on length on roster, etc.

They better get this opened quickly...how else do they expect me to select the "winning" roster on my first attempt and not look to change it about 1000 times prior to kick-off on Saturday?

Just making sure I have this right.....I can have 5 QB and all of their scores will count?

Just making sure I have this right.....I can have 5 QB and all of their scores will count?
Yes.  Looks like it takes the top to scorers from each team you have.  Taking 5 QBs would give you a lot of points in week one but would make you much weaker in the following weeks.

rules are here

..." In the first three rounds, ONLY YOUR TWO HIGHEST-SCORING PLAYERS FROM EACH NFL TEAM WILL COUNT TOWARD YOUR SCORE. In the Super Bowl, ALL your players count toward your score. "...

Captain Quinoa said:
Historically how many points are needed to advance the first 3 weeks?
More than zero. You'd be surprised how many entries there are each year that have no players at all from teams in the wildcard round.

To provide a more serious answer, it is really hard to guess. Some years, there are a lot of people that try to load up on guys from their potential SB teams . . . thus keeping the scoring down for the early rounds.

But some years, people are more worried about getting to the last week that people loaded up on WC round players . . . thus doubling the requirement to advance vs. the year before.

So many potential strategies with this playoff format.  One of the best contests out there I feel.  Last year was burned not reading the rules so BEWARE is all I will add at this point.  OH, and Good Luck.

So many potential strategies with this playoff format.  One of the best contests out there I feel.  Last year was burned not reading the rules so BEWARE is all I will add at this point.  OH, and Good Luck.
The biggest challenge is picking the right SB teams. If you are wrong on that, the rest is irrelevant.

Captain Quinoa said:
Historically how many points are needed to advance the first 3 weeks?
Last year it was approximately 70, 130, and 70.  But, as Anarchy said, it can fluctuate greatly, depending on how people build their lineups and how the game play out.  With only 4 games, a couple of 13-10 games or a couple of 35-31 games can make a huge difference.

The "trick" is just picking the right SB teams, loading up on them, and ensuring you have just enough from other teams to get you there.  IIRC historically if both of your SB teams have a 1st round bye, you'll need ~10 players from those two teams combined; if one or both of your SB teams are playing this weekend, you'll need ~12+ players from those two teams.  If you don't follow those guidelines you're basically dead money.  

The "trick" is just picking the right SB teams, loading up on them, and ensuring you have just enough from other teams to get you there.  IIRC historically if both of your SB teams have a 1st round bye, you'll need ~10 players from those two teams combined; if one or both of your SB teams are playing this weekend, you'll need ~12+ players from those two teams.  If you don't follow those guidelines you're basically dead money.  
Except that last year's top 10 teams had 6,6, 8, 5, 5,  5, 6, 6, 7 and 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
12 plus is tough if you pick Green Bay-Pitt. Would think you need both abs which is 69 gone.  Brown-Nelson is another 56. 

Pick seattle-new England and becomes easier to get 12. Detroit with ne, Pitt, KFC gets you up there higher

12 plus is tough if you pick Green Bay-Pitt. Would think you need both abs which is 69 gone.  Brown-Nelson is another 56. 

Pick seattle-new England and becomes easier to get 12. Detroit with ne, Pitt, KFC gets you up there higher
If you pick a DET / MIA Super Bowl you can get to 22 players and only spend $134. Seems like the way to go if you want to maximize the number of players you have going in any given round.

And why would picking DET while eating chicken get you higher?

QB - Tom Brady - 34
QB - Russell Wilson - 29
QB - Matt Ryan - 25
RB - LeGarrette Blount - 22
RB - Devonta Freeman - 20
RB - Tevin Coleman - 15
WR - Julian Edelman - 21
WR - Doug Baldwin - 20
WR - Julio Jones - 18
WR - Taylor Gabriel - 11
WR - Chris Hogan - 9
WR - Malcolm Mitchell - 8
WR - Randall Cobb - 5
TE - Martellus Bennett - 13

Total value: 250

Atl-NE Super Bowl with 11 players (6 of them NE). Didn't think the Giants or Packers have enough of a run game to make it to the Super Bowl. I thought Pittsburgh players were too expensive. I'm a Dallas fan, so that eliminated them for me in this contest. I felt Seattle players were safer than trying to pick the GB-NYG winner, although I like Cobb at $5. Probably won't make it through this week with only three players but you don't win this by playing safe.

QB - Tom Brady - 34
QB - Dak Prescott - 25
QB - Matthew Stafford - 15
RB - LeVeon Bell - 40
RB - Dion Lewis - 17
WR - Antonio Brown - 31
WR - Dez Bryant - 18
WR - Tyreek Hill - 12
WR - Jermaine Kearse - 9
TE - Jimmy Graham - 15
TE - Jason Witten - 11
TE - Jerell Adams - 2

QB - Tom Brady - 34
QB - Dak Prescott - 25
QB - Matthew Stafford - 15
RB - LeVeon Bell - 40
RB - Dion Lewis - 17
WR - Antonio Brown - 31
WR - Dez Bryant - 18
WR - Tyreek Hill - 12
WR - Jermaine Kearse - 9
TE - Jimmy Graham - 15
TE - Jason Witten - 11
TE - Jerell Adams - 2
Dead

QB - Tom Brady - 34QB - Matt Ryan - 25RB - Devonta Freeman - 20RB - Tevin Coleman - 15RB - Lamar Miller - 15WR - Julian Edelman - 21WR - Ty Montgomery - 18WR - Julio Jones - 18WR - Davante Adams - 18WR - Eli Rogers - 13WR - Taylor Gabriel - 11WR - Malcolm Mitchell - 8TE - Ladarius Green - 14TE - Martellus Bennett - 13TE - Austin Hooper - 4TE - Ryan Griffin - 3

QB - Tom Brady - 34
QB - Russell Wilson - 29
QB - Matt Ryan - 25
RB - LeGarrette Blount - 22
RB - Devonta Freeman - 20
RB - Paul Perkins - 9
WR - Julian Edelman - 21
WR - Julio Jones - 18
WR - Jarvis Landry - 9
WR - Anquan Boldin - 7
TE - Jimmy Graham - 15
PK - Matt Bryant - 12
PK - Nick Novak - 8

Going with a NE-GB SB.  Looking back in hindsight It may have better for me to get both GB TE's instead of Pats D.

QB - Tom Brady - 34QB - Aaron Rodgers - 33RB - LeGarrette Blount - 22RB - Thomas Rawls - 13WR - Jordy Nelson - 25WR - Julian Edelman - 21WR - Doug Baldwin - 20WR - Davante Adams - 18WR - Eli Rogers - 13WR - Chris Hogan - 9WR - Malcolm Mitchell - 8WR - Randall Cobb - 5TE - Martellus Bennett - 13TD - New England Patriots - 16

Going with a NE-GB SB.  Looking back in hindsight It may have better for me to get both GB TE's instead of Pats D.

QB - Tom Brady - 34QB - Aaron Rodgers - 33RB - LeGarrette Blount - 22RB - Thomas Rawls - 13WR - Jordy Nelson - 25WR - Julian Edelman - 21WR - Doug Baldwin - 20WR - Davante Adams - 18WR - Eli Rogers - 13WR - Chris Hogan - 9WR - Malcolm Mitchell - 8WR - Randall Cobb - 5TE - Martellus Bennett - 13TD - New England Patriots - 16

You'll have a good chance to win if they make the SB, but you being still alive by then is going to be difficult.

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - 36QB - Tom Brady - 34QB - Russell Wilson - 29RB - LeVeon Bell - 40RB - LeGarrette Blount - 22WR - Julian Edelman - 21WR - Doug Baldwin - 20WR - Jermaine Kearse - 9WR - Danny Amendola - 7WR - Sammie Coates - 4TE - Jimmy Graham - 15TE - Martellus Bennett - 13

Have no idea what I'm doing....

Ouch.  Picked Texans and Falcons, but somehow forgot to pick Osweiler when I was moving fast this afternoon.  Hope that doesn't hurt too bad.

Dallas,New England Super Bowl for me.Can't stand either team because of what they have done to my Fins in the past.So that is a worse case scenario for me for a SB.So probably will happen.

QB - Tom Brady - 34QB - Dak Prescott - 25QB - Matthew Stafford - 15QB - Matt Moore - 11RB - Ezekiel Elliott - 26RB - James White - 11RB - Charcandrick West - 3RB - Jonathan Grimes - 2WR - Cole Beasley - 10WR - Chris Hogan - 9WR - Paul Richardson - 7WR - DeVante Parker - 7WR - Terrance Williams - 7WR - Randall Cobb - 5WR - Brice Butler - 3WR - Justin Hardy - 3TE - Martellus Bennett - 13TE - Jason Witten - 11TE - C.J. Fiedorowicz - 8TE - Will Tye - 7TE - Austin Hooper - 4TE - Richard Rodgers - 3PK - Dan Bailey - 11PK - Matt Prater - 5TD - Dallas Cowboys - 10

Didn't read the rules, thought it was like season contest....did i screw up with too many Pat's and Cowboys??

QB - Tom Brady - 34QB - Eli Manning - 17RB - Ezekiel Elliott - 26RB - LeGarrette Blount - 22RB - Thomas Rawls - 13RB - Paul Perkins - 9RB - Aaron Ripkowski - 5WR - Julian Edelman - 21WR - Dez Bryant - 18WR - Tyreek Hill - 12WR - Paul Richardson - 7WR - Anquan Boldin - 7TE - Ladarius Green - 14TE - Martellus Bennett - 13PK - Dan Bailey - 11PK - Matt Prater - 5TD - Dallas Cowboys - 10TD - Detroit Lions - 6

Pit/GB Super Bowl 

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - PIT - $36

QB - Aaron Rodgers - GB - $33

RB - LeVeon Bell - PIT - $40
WR - Antonio Brown - PIT - $31
WR - Jordy Nelson - GB - $25
WR - Julian Edelman - NE - $21
WR - Ty Montgomery - GB - $18
WR - Davante Adams - GB - $18
WR - Eli Rogers - PIT - $13
TE - Jared Cook - GB - $10
TE - Jesse James - PIT - $4 

Was it just me or with the prices of PK and especially DST....did they really not seem "worth it"....especially DST where scoring could be minimal even if the team wins...

RB - LeVeon Bell - 40RB - Ezekiel Elliott - 26RB - James White - 11WR - Antonio Brown - 31WR - Jordy Nelson - 25WR - Julian Edelman - 21WR - Doug Baldwin - 20WR - Dez Bryant - 18WR - Sterling Shepard - 10WR - Cole Beasley - 10WR - Amari Cooper - 9WR - Sammie Coates - 4TE - Ladarius Green - 14TE - Jason Witten - 11

Re-post from the 'Live' thread.

I forgot to do a final scrub and I see some flaws.  I did purposely put no QBs in my lineup, however.  I just didn't see the value in the QB position for the players I thought would have the most games. 

RB - LeVeon Bell - 40RB - Ezekiel Elliott - 26RB - Devonta Freeman - 20RB - Tevin Coleman - 15RB - James White - 11RB - Paul Perkins - 9WR - Antonio Brown - 31WR - Julian Edelman - 21WR - Odell Beckham Jr - 19WR - Julio Jones - 18WR - Tyreek Hill - 12WR - Sterling Shepard - 10TE - Martellus Bennett - 13TE - Austin Hooper - 4

Total value: 249

Users who are viewing this thread