What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Playoff Contest (1 Viewer)

Was it just me or with the prices of PK and especially DST....did they really not seem "worth it"....especially DST where scoring could be minimal even if the team wins...
I thought a kicker (Novak-shoulda picked Prater) could help me survive the first and second rounds and give me something different if I made it to the Superbowl. DSTs definitely did not seem worth it.

ETA: Remembered I picked Novak because I thought the Texans would win, and I'd get points next week, Still not sure if it's a decent strategy. Leaning no, 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed...left them off my entry.
I just felt like the money spent at those positions was better spent on a dart throw WR or something (or two dart throws in some cases)...but I guess I'm still not sure if I like it cause there must be some reason they were priced so high...

Re-post from the 'Live' thread.

I forgot to do a final scrub and I see some flaws.  I did purposely put no QBs in my lineup, however.  I just didn't see the value in the QB position for the players I thought would have the most games. 

RB - LeVeon Bell - 40RB - Ezekiel Elliott - 26RB - Devonta Freeman - 20RB - Tevin Coleman - 15RB - James White - 11RB - Paul Perkins - 9WR - Antonio Brown - 31WR - Julian Edelman - 21WR - Odell Beckham Jr - 19WR - Julio Jones - 18WR - Tyreek Hill - 12WR - Sterling Shepard - 10TE - Martellus Bennett - 13TE - Austin Hooper - 4

Total value: 249
Did you read the rules?  This team has zero chance of winning the contest 

Yes, I read the rules.  Why, in your opinion, do I have zero chance?
You are likely going to advance to the final week, where you're likely going to be covered by many many teams who will have 7-12 players playing in the Super Bowl.

Yes, I read the rules.  Why, in your opinion, do I have zero chance?
Your best case scenario is a NE/ATL Super Bowl where you only have 7 players going, and neither of the QBs.  You are a good bet to reach the finals but will be way behind if/when you make it there.  

Feeling strong about the Pats, but really torn on the NFC and splitting GB and NYG (yeah, I know, should have just made a decision and gone with it). Hoping to get lucky in the 1st 2 weeks.

QB - Tom Brady - 34RB - LeGarrette Blount - 22RB - Dion Lewis - 17RB - Thomas Rawls - 13RB - James White - 11RB - Paul Perkins - 9RB - Aaron Ripkowski - 5RB - Charcandrick West - 3RB - Kenyan Drake - 2WR - Jordy Nelson - 25WR - Julian Edelman - 21WR - Odell Beckham Jr - 19WR - Davante Adams - 18WR - Michael Floyd - 11WR - Chris Hogan - 9WR - Albert Wilson - 2TE - Jared Cook - 10TE - Will Tye - 7TE - Austin Hooper - 4TD - New York Giants - 8

Went Pittsburgh-NY. Surprised not to see any others on that track yet:

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - 36QB - Eli Manning - 17RB - LeVeon Bell - 40RB - Paul Perkins - 9WR - Antonio Brown - 31WR - Julian Edelman - 21WR - Odell Beckham Jr - 19WR - Julio Jones - 18WR - Eli Rogers - 13WR - Sterling Shepard - 10WR - Mohamed Sanu - 9WR - Malcolm Mitchell - 8WR - Cobi Hamilton - 4TE - Will Tye - 7TE - Jesse James - 4TE - Clive Walford - 4

Giants/Pats - 14 players between the two. Wilson/Baldwin stack is going to help
me likely advance this week. If Giants win, I need to squeeze by next week and after that should be in good shape if I picked correct Super Bowl.
QB - Tom Brady - 34QB - Russell Wilson - 29QB - Eli Manning - 17RB - Dion Lewis - 17RB - Paul Perkins - 9WR - Julian Edelman - 21WR - Doug Baldwin - 20WR - Odell Beckham Jr - 19WR - Sterling Shepard - 10WR - Malcolm Mitchell - 8WR - Victor Cruz - 6TE - Martellus Bennett - 13PK - Stephen Gostkowski - 15PK - Robbie Gould - 8TD - New England Patriots - 16TD - New York Giants - 8

Total value: 250

Anyone want to take a guess at what the cut off might be this week?I'm at 72.9 now with Tye,Cobb and Richard Rodgers to go.

I'm at 100 + Allison + Cobb.  Figured since my most hated teams are winning it all this year that I'd take Dallas and Pitt.

How do I check my score?
Get up early tomorrow morning, go buy a USA Today and comb through the box scores...

Actually it's not that bad.  You wait till Tuesday and check the website's scoring, which makes it only 10 years rather than 20 years out of date.

Personally, I think a live scoring app for contests would have been a much better use of their offseason development hours than the MyFBG "upgrade" they brought us instead.

Anyone want to take a guess at what the cut off might be this week?I'm at 72.9 now with Tye,Cobb and Richard Rodgers to go.
Pure guess is sub 100 just based on what I've seen historically with round 1 usuallly only double digits. I'll go 95. 

Get up early tomorrow morning, go buy a USA Today and comb through the box scores...

Actually it's not that bad.  You wait till Tuesday and check the website's scoring, which makes it only 10 years rather than 20 years out of date.

Personally, I think a live scoring app for contests would have been a much better use of their offseason development hours than the MyFBG "upgrade" they brought us instead.
It's free bro

dang I'm gonna be toast.  just backed the wrong week 1 guys.  shoulda gone with original gut of going with Packers.  History of big week 1 affordable QB/WR combos in this contest led me astray to go with Eli/Beckham :kicksrock:

-QG

East Coast Bias said:
Cobb is the only Packer I didn't pick.
Same for me.  Should advance with Bell/A. Brown/Rodgers/D. Adams scoring this week but let's hope Cobb cools off and let's the other guys do something next week.  

QB - Tom Brady - 34
QB - Russell Wilson - 29
QB - Matt Ryan - 25
RB - LeGarrette Blount - 22
RB - Devonta Freeman - 20
RB - Tevin Coleman - 15
WR - Julian Edelman - 21
WR - Doug Baldwin - 20
WR - Julio Jones - 18
WR - Taylor Gabriel - 11
WR - Chris Hogan - 9
WR - Malcolm Mitchell - 8
WR - Randall Cobb - 5
TE - Martellus Bennett - 13

Total value: 250

Atl-NE Super Bowl with 11 players (6 of them NE). Didn't think the Giants or Packers have enough of a run game to make it to the Super Bowl. I thought Pittsburgh players were too expensive. I'm a Dallas fan, so that eliminated them for me in this contest. I felt Seattle players were safer than trying to pick the GB-NYG winner, although I like Cobb at $5. Probably won't make it through this week with only three players but you don't win this by playing safe.
So far, so good.

Done at 124.5

went KC-Sea final

next round will have:

NE: blount-j.white-m.mitchell

KC: a.smith-west-tyreek-kelce

HOU: griffen-blue

GB: Rodgers-r.rodgers

ATL: ward

DAL: Beasley-t.williams

SEA: Wilson-Baldwin-kearse-Graham 

Questioning if I'll have enough firepower to squeak past round 2 with no Steelers (assuming I squeak past round 1). I love this contest. 

My 3 players were Stafford, Cobb, and Rodgers so I might have snuck through with a massive Packers/Patriots crew.  Stafford was pretty awful though, so I'm not counting it until I see the cut line.

For some reason the php to my team is broken atm, but from memory it's something like

Rodgers, Cobb, Adams, Nelson, Crosby

Brady, Lewis, Bennett, Edelman, Mitchell, Gastowski

Julio, Coleman

Stafford

Ouch. Missed by 3 with a team that could've won it. With a cut that surprisingly high, people who didn't put "enough" SB guys are back in play. 

90.55. Crap. The reason this contest is so much harder than the regular season one is all the people who don't understand the rules raising the cut the first couple of weeks. That leader board is full of teams with 4-5 SB players at best. Sigh.

Wow, that's an insane cutline and my guess is there will be a ton of actual contenders down the drain.  Made the cut by 13, but only have 8 scores next week.  Feel like I'm going to need more than 4.9 out of my two Pit WR scrubs to move on again.

Code:
Eli Rogers               $13     
Cobi Hamilton             $4     

Russell Wilson           $29     
Jimmy Graham             $15     

Aaron Rodgers            $33     
Christine Michael         $5      4.70 
Jordy Nelson             $25      2.30 
Ty Montgomery            $18      9.80 
Davante Adams            $18     

Tom Brady                $34     
LeGarrette Blount        $22     
Julian Edelman           $21      0.00 
Martellus Bennett        $13      0.00

all of my 13 players still alive.. thanks to cobb, bell and rodgers, losing jordy will sting, but have adams, ty and montgomery, need a gb victory to keep hope alive..

90.55. Crap. The reason this contest is so much harder than the regular season one is all the people who don't understand the rules raising the cut the first couple of weeks. That leader board is full of teams with 4-5 SB players at best. Sigh.
Agreed.  This is a fascinating year.  People scoring 240+ this week raised the cutoff but those top several teams aren't going to survive for long with just 2 players from a bunch of teams.  

The trick has always been to correctly guess the two superbowl teams (this is a must), then fill in accordingly with those players but adding other good players from winners of wild card weekend, so you'll get two+ weeks out of them to get you through.  

The guy in first place has absolutely no chance to win.  Looking at a couple of teams that just made the cut are in much better shape than the top 5... providing they picked the correct superbowl matchup.  

Thank you to all the guys who don't understand the rules and thus raised the cut line!  This happens every year. I've got 10 players in a NE-Dal super bowl, plus added enough wild card winners to get production for those first two weeks.

Code:
Lamar Miller             $15     
C.J. Fiedorowicz          $8     

Eli Rogers               $13     
Jesse James               $4     

Thomas Rawls             $13     
Jimmy Graham             $15     

Davante Adams            $18     
Randall Cobb              $5     

Tom Brady                $34     
James White              $11     
Julian Edelman           $21      0.00 
Danny Amendola            $7      0.00 
Martellus Bennett        $13      0.00 

Dak Prescott             $25     
Ezekiel Elliott          $26     
Cole Beasley             $10      0.00 
Gavin Escobar             $2      0.00 
Dallas Cowboys           $10      0.00 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL                           116.80 
CUTOFF                           91.90

I put my team together when it first came out in about 15 seconds and "was going to go back to and put some thought into it later on", but obviously that didn't happen.  Made the cut by 7 points thanks to a couple of cheap kickers (Gould and Prater).  Will have 7 player for this week, but only 4 in the Conference final as my players are playing each other  :wall:  ... Oh well, there's always next year.

Part of why the cutline was higher is that there were more entries this year: 6284 entries this year vs. 5522 last year (and even fewer in 2012-14). In other words, about 2284 teams got cut this year vs. 1522 last year. The huge fantasy games from Pittsburgh & Green Bay probably contributed too.

I was lucky to have my squad squeak by with 96.5. Cobb saved me from my mistake of underestimating the cutline; in hindsight I was unreasonably aggressive about putting money into my Super Bowl matchup. But I guess that's good news for my chances going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread