What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HUNTED > New Manhunt Reality Show - Can you evade capture in today's digital world (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
This looks like it could be REALLY cool, or fall REALLY flat... depending on the quality of execution. If it's overly hokey/cheesy like most of the formulaic reality show crap out there... they will be doing a disservice to the concept, IMO. 

"CBS has scheduled its long-in-the-works competition reality series Hunted. The show, based on the UK format, is getting a high-profile launch pad — it will premiere immediately following the NFL’s AFC Championship Game, on Sunday, January 22, at about 10 PM ET/7 PM PT. Hunted, in which ordinary people go on the run as fugitives and try to evade capture by an elite team of investigators, will move to Wednesdays on January 25 with a two-hour (8-10 PM) episode, before settling into its regular Wednesday 8-9 PM berth, bridging the two cycles of Survivor.

Hunted follows nine teams of two in a real-life manhunt as they attempt to disappear in today’s digital world, as highly skilled investigators combine state-of-the-art tracking methods with traditional tactics to pursue and catch them. From searching their targets’ homes and scouring their Internet and cell phone histories to identifying behavioral patterns, Hunters in the field and Command Center investigators work together to identify clues to potential hiding places and collaborators that ultimately can lead to capture. A grand prize of $250,000 is awarded to each team that successfully evades being caught for up to 28 days within 100,000 square miles of the southeastern U.S."

TRAILER:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, but no interest as it's on network TV.  There's nearly no way they can't find a way to screw this up.

I would really bet on the fugitives.  I mean, in a real manhunt you have 100s of people searching, if not 1000s and you have cops looking for specific vehicles and descriptions as well as the public.  They will have none of that going for them.  

This really puts the faith in the producers to not leak the information to the chasers among other issues. 

One month without Wife and Kids?  Sign me up!  Seriously though the camera crew and having to tell ANYONE on the show where you are is the fatal flaw.

Just make sure you don't purcahse any copies of The Catcher in the Rye while you are hiding.  HTH.

Seems like disguising yourself and becoming homeless for a month or hanging out in a remote part of the outdoors for a month wouldnt be that difficult.

About 15 years ago, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon had a production company and a show in development called, I believe, the Runner...  which was similar but would rely on the public to find the fugitives.

Heard it died because of liability concerns.  

Looks good, but no interest as it's on network TV.  There's nearly no way they can't find a way to screw this up.

I would really bet on the fugitives.  I mean, in a real manhunt you have 100s of people searching, if not 1000s and you have cops looking for specific vehicles and descriptions as well as the public.  They will have none of that going for them.  

This really puts the faith in the producers to not leak the information to the chasers among other issues. 
Agreed.  It would be a hell of a lot harder with law enforcement in the mix

Great idea.  Maybe next they can do a game show where they take 100 people and make them walk until only one can continue.  They could call it Who Can Walk The Longest? or something.

There has to be a slew of stipulations. I mean I see they are limited to 100,000 miles of the SE United States. It looks like these people know they are going to be called--they just don't know when. So you would have time to prep. Make sure you have cash and coin to cover all needs. Heck at least a four week supply of food stashed somewhere, along with a car you paid cash for--preferably one that is old and doesn't have GPS and a slew of electronics. Use the library internet to investigate locations--all the while using your home network to do searches for fake ones. Buy a burner phone that is pay as you go. Just disappear and stay put.

Now this is where I wonder where the stipulations come in. Do you have to keep moving?  Living in Colorado, I could easily disappear to any one of the little mountain towns--rent a cabin and just chill.

I also don't like the fact you are going to have a camera crew following you because that would be a dead giveaway to anyone in the public--all it would take is one FB post by someone to give you away. Plus who is to say they won't track one of the camera crew's cell phone?

For the U.K. show they gave the contestants like $250 and a half hour head start. I doubt the producers would let you steal a car or rob a liquor store.

Under the show format is going to be difficult to hide. 

In real life it would be easy for me to disappear but hard for me and my wife and kids. I'd have to steal a minivan and then camp out.

Pretty lame all around last night...these people are idiots, but the rules basically plop the person in the hunter's lap.  They give them $500 in a bank account, but they can only take $100 at a time?  Might as well install a GPS on their person.  One couple caught on the first episode :lol:   

When I saw the previews, I couldn't tell whether this was an actual "reality" show or just a scripted drama shot to look like a reality show.

Like any other game/contest show, I assumed they'd cast idiots that they think make for good TV rather than someone who actually has a legitimate chance of winning. And yeah, I figured they'd have mechanics in place to prevent them from just hiding out in the woods for a month in a bunker.

The fact that there's a freaking camera crew following them around sort of defeats the purpose.

So many idiots the entertainment industry make millions of dollars from the absolute worst and stupidest ideas. Drives me nuts.

Pretty lame all around last night...these people are idiots, but the rules basically plop the person in the hunter's lap.  They give them $500 in a bank account, but they can only take $100 at a time?  Might as well install a GPS on their person.  One couple caught on the first episode :lol:   
I was watching in the background b/c my son wants to watch it and I didn't know if it'd be appropriate.  I must have missed the rules - I assume they can't get $ from other people then?  You'd think that they would set it up with somebody to get a bunch of cash on the first day and go live under a bridge or something.  

Regardless, not a very exciting first show, that's for sure. 

There was some show, I believe on ABC, where a pair of contestants was given an hour to hide a briefcase anywhere in Los Angeles, then they were 'arrested' and interrogated for up to 24 hours. If they could hold off on giving up the location, they won 100k or so. 

The show ended up casting a bunch of weak-willed idiots. Based on their psychological profiles that would make them likely to crack. Made for pretty dumb television, watching some guy give up 100k because he suddenly made friends with the investigator and wanted him to be happy, or, just didn't like being yelled at. 

Good chance they cast idiots in this thing too, instead of people who are actually able to win. 
Seriously?  How the hell do you let 100k go by talking.  I'm 100% certain I could sit without talking for 24 hours or just come up with something stupid to say - keep quoting a movie or something.  In fact, I don't think you are lying, but it seems like you have to be leaving out details.

The couple on the bus - what a couple of idiots.  Wearing the absolute worst disguises I've ever seen and they take money from the ATM at the bus stop and then get on the bus - you've got to be kidding me.  

The couple on the bus - what a couple of idiots.  Wearing the absolute worst disguises I've ever seen and they take money from the ATM at the bus stop and then get on the bus - you've got to be kidding me.  
Yeah as they were doing it, I thought maybe they were going to buy the ticket and not get on the bus, or get off the bus somewhere else somehow. 

The fact that there's a freaking camera crew following them around sort of defeats the purpose.
I couldn't get past this while watching last night.  Thought this was a a cool idea, but a dumb way to execute it.

Yep, there's no way the production team isn't influencing this.  In fact, I could see them telling the idiots on the bus.  Look, just stay on the bus and we'll give you 25k.  I'll give it another week but if these contestants don't start being smarter then I'm out. 

I was excited by the premise of the show, but now I see the execution and I don't know how long I will give it. 

You know you are going to be on the show so why don't you already have your bag packed?

I mean have a plan to borrow a friend's SUV.  Go to ATM get the $100.00. Go to the opposite end of town to Walmart and get food. Already have a rest area/truck stop picked out. Sleep in said car/SUV. Do that same thing again the next day and a third if you want. You would now have 300.00 worth of food and supplies. Go to an RV campground and rent a space for 3 weeks with your remaining money, sleep in the car/SUV, just sit there and read books/watch DVDs and don't go anywhere.  It would literally make for the most boring TV, but there is absolutely no way they would find you unless the camera crew tipped them off. "Let's check in with our fugitives who still appear to be reading a book.Ooohh action!!! He is making a PBJ!!!"! 

I was watching in the background b/c my son wants to watch it and I didn't know if it'd be appropriate.  I must have missed the rules - I assume they can't get $ from other people then?  You'd think that they would set it up with somebody to get a bunch of cash on the first day and go live under a bridge or something.  

Regardless, not a very exciting first show, that's for sure. 
Yeah....I turned it on late.  I don't know if they went over the rules or not.  All I know is they were given an online account with $500.  They could take $100 at a time and they couldn't leave the four state area.

Yeah....I turned it on late.  I don't know if they went over the rules or not.  All I know is they were given an online account with $500.  They could take $100 at a time and they couldn't leave the four state area.
It wasn't even 4 full states.  It was like all of georgia, part of florida, all of south carolina and a part of Alabama

And I think they said $100 limit per day.  So you couldn't even get the $500 in one day.

I think they gave them something like 48 hours notice they were selected so people could get their stuff in order, then they were then randomly given the YOU ARE ON THE RUN NOW!!!!  1 hour head start.

How these people didn't already have go bags ready is mind bottling

I'm assuming you couldn't give the ATM card to a friend in exchange for $500 cash and then have them hit a different ATM for the next 5 days.

I'd disappear like a fart in a hurricane.  I am not addicted to social media and in fact have almost no footprint other than here.  I am not a cell phone junkie and often go without because I simply forget to carry it, finding it mostly unnecessary.  I am comfortable in the woods and out of doors and would work day labor or beg with a highway intersection sign before I would ever withdraw their money.  If I were forced to have a partner we would rarely be side by side or face to face though we would be within earshot.  I would not touch electronics and would avoid financial districts. 

I'd disappear like a fart in a hurricane.  I am not addicted to social media and in fact have almost no footprint other than here.  I am not a cell phone junkie and often go without because I simply forget to carry it, finding it mostly unnecessary.  I am comfortable in the woods and out of doors and would work day labor or beg with a highway intersection sign before I would ever withdraw their money.  If I were forced to have a partner we would rarely be side by side or face to face though we would be within earshot.  I would not touch electronics and would avoid financial districts. 
I think a big city like NYC would be easier to disappear in. 

I would stand no chance were I paired with my wife.
:lmao:

This was my first thought.  

My brother or pretty much any guy friend.. easy.  My wife.. we are ####ed.  I'd prob turn myself in within 48 hours of arguing over why we shouldn't blow the $100 on dinner and margarita's.

They spent a lot of time talking about tracing cell phone activity. How every single one of these people didn't run out and buy prepaid cell phones is beyond comprehension.

The chick who wrote out the entire hiding itinerary by day and reading it on the day planner via pencil markings was just :lmao:

They spent a lot of time talking about tracing cell phone activity. How every single one of these people didn't run out and buy prepaid cell phones is beyond comprehension.

The chick who wrote out the entire hiding itinerary by day and reading it on the day planner via pencil markings was just :lmao:
Burner is a must.  But would not buy one off the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread