What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Uncle Brent goes rogue, (character) assassins en route (1 Viewer)

YOU DECIDE

• Joe Mixon should have played the whole game

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • Joe Mixon should have been suspended for a half but been allowed to play

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Joe Mixon should not have played

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Joe Mixon should not be allowed to play in the NFL

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Joe Mixon should not be allowed to hold any job, anywhere, forever

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

mr. furley

Footballguy
if you were one of the dozens of people watching the Sugar Bowl last night (honestly, who watches football anymore? it's so 90s.) then  maybe you heard Brent Musburger publicly and loudly supporting Joe Mixon getting a chance at redemption and wished him success in the NFL.

in the moment it felt like one of those "uh oh" moments. 

today it has apparently blown up in to one of those "pitchforks and torches" moments.

what say you?

:grad:

If Mixon is a changed man, then I have zero issue with him having an NFL career. Brent could've phrased that thing a WHOLE lot better.

What Musburger should have done was stick with just the facts. Any opinion he offered could have been something like "let's hope he doesn't make anyone regret giving him a second chance". Literally everything beyond that was too much. 

This one is on the networks.  They know he's a bit of a loose cannon and loose cannons don't button up tighter as they age.  They knew there was a controversial player on the field, so instead of giving the ship to Captain Hazelwood, they should have phoned safe but boring Mike Turico to man the helm. 

The Twitterrage was obviously fed back to Brent, who exhibited some fancy footwork in the second half. He expressed his disgust at the video and made clear that he in no way condoned Mixon's actions. I'm sure someone wants a pound of flesh, but I don't. 

Tom Servo said:
If Mixon is a changed man, then I have zero issue with him having an NFL career. Brent could've phrased that thing a WHOLE lot better.
Yeah, if he knew he was going to even acknowledge the situation, he should have been crafting a statement with others' help well in advance of the game.

I didn't hear the original comment so just looked them up - assuming this article has it right, here's the comment:

“It was troubling, very troubling to see,” Musburger said of the Mixon-Molitor video. “We’ve talked to the coaches. They all swear that the young man is doing fine ... Folks, he’s just one of the best, and let’s hope, given a second chance by (head coach) Bob Stoops and Oklahoma, let’s hope that this young man makes the most of his chance and goes on to have a career (in the NFL).”

Then the clarification......

“What he did with that young lady was brutal, uncalled for. He’s apologized, he was tearful,” Musburger said. “He got a second chance from Bob Stoops. I happen to pull for people with second chances.

“Let me make it absolutely clear: I hope he has a wonderful career and he teaches people with that brutal, violent video.”

The only part that I would change is the "he's just one of the best" - that doesn't sound too good.
You should listen to the actual comments vs just reading them. I'm not one of those "pound of flesh" guys but it was clear in his voice that he was way over the top in how he was gushing and wishing him success. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You should listen to the actual comments vs just reading them. I'm not one of those "pound of flesh" guys but it was clear in his voice that he was way over the top in how he was gushing and wishing him success. 
And he was pissed when he said the second part of that

ETA:  If you can find the clip of it, he came across as how dare people question what I said IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of misdemeanors in the NFL, I think any reasonable person is wishing for a cocky teenager to pay his dues, grow up and be successful.  Not worth my time to figure out whether or not Brent's statements and tone were politically correct to today's standards.

Why should Mixon have been punished last night?  Wasn't he already suspended a year for this?  Is it just because the video came out that people think he deserves more punishment?  Was the video available to the school before he was suspended for the year?

Why should Mixon have been punished last night?  Wasn't he already suspended a year for this?  Is it just because the video came out that people think he deserves more punishment?  Was the video available to the school before he was suspended for the year?
Yes

I believe that Musburger's comments, to him, were about more than Mixon. He's been around a long time, and been supportive of an Oklahoma program that has given second chances to many [black] athletes that have run afoul of the law. For the younger folks here, OU has had some battles with public opinion (especially local) over the years. From being a haven of opportunity and free expression drawing black stars away from its racist competitors in the 60s and 70s to the high profile criminal cases in the 80s, OU (especially under Switzer) was a lightening rod in the general topic of race and crime.

OU's general theme throughout the years, and once again especially under Switzer, has been to give opportunities to troubled kids, often black. I think Musburger's vehement support of Mixon harkens back to that. He may just be a doddering old fool now that can't properly make all the connections, but he's pretty much always been on OU's side in the court of public opinion, and I think this is more a continuation of that than it is a specific analysis of Mixon's situation.

That doesn't show all of it. For some reason the network put up a timeline of various milestones of the incident. When it occurred, the suspension, the video, etc. Very bizarre. Not necessary at all - and that's when Brent started talking about it.  
Gotcha - the video above just shows the two clips most are commenting on: Brent saying Mixon is "the best" and wishing him well, and then later defending his statements (after I'm guessing he was told by a producer to address the fact some weren't happy with his earlier comments).  I haven't seen the timeline, etc.  Would definitely add some context.

Gotcha - the video above just shows the two clips most are commenting on: Brent saying Mixon is "the best" and wishing him well, and then later defending his statements (after I'm guessing he was told by a producer to address the fact some weren't happy with his earlier comments).  I haven't seen the timeline, etc.  Would definitely add some context.
It looked like something they would put up showing a player moving from team to team. They did a few others showing someone going from a Junior College to a spot on the university team playing. But then I started reading his and it was "July 2014 Punched a girl. August 2014 Suspended. December 2016 video released" or something like that - I'm sure I have the dates wrong - all next to his photo in a football uniform. A very WTF graphic - not excusing Brent but he almost had to say something. 

That doesn't show all of it. For some reason the network put up a timeline of various milestones of the incident. When it occurred, the suspension, the video, etc. Very bizarre. Not necessary at all - and that's when Brent started talking about it.  
Dan Le Batard Show talked about Musburger a little bit yesterday. And one thing they noticed was that one of the marching bands started playing a very upbeat song right as Musburger is talking about Mixon. And it made it seem as though Musburger is touting Mixon with this great fanfare. It's pretty funny if you just listen to the audio.

Users who are viewing this thread