What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clipping nails at work (1 Viewer)

I'm still curious.

where do you draw the line at what is too petty to bring up to HR?
If someone's work suffers from the sound of clipping nails, I'm more concerned with how easy it is for that employee to get distracted than I am about an employee clipping their nails. In other words, if your complaint makes you look like a bigger idiot than the person you are complaining about, then your complaint is petty.

True and when they don't you have to use your own discretion.   In this case I didn't think it was worth mentioning.  As I said if it becomes a bigger issue I'll handle it at that time.
What sort of complaint would you consider on the borderline of a valid or petty complaint?

Just trying to get an idea of what's acceptable to go to HR for

If someone's work suffers from the sound of clipping nails, I'm more concerned with how easy it is for that employee to get distracted than I am about an employee clipping their nails. In other words, if your complaint makes you look like a bigger idiot than the person you are complaining about, then your complaint is petty.
That still doesn't answer my question.

can you give me an example of something borderline?

No, and for good reason. Employees who need black and white answers to everything are a pain in the ### to manage, so the fact that you even would want this would put you on my "need to get rid of ASAP" list. 

You essentially took the words out of my mouth. EVERY employee does personal things at work from time to time that take a few minutes--pick up personal calls on your cell phone, respond to texts, apply makeup if you are a female, brush or comb your hair--the list goes on and on.   If an employee finds it appropriate for them to be distracted by a co-worker clipping his nails over a trash can in a sanitary manner for 3-5 minutes every week or two--that is far more telling of the complaining employee than it is the dude that is clipping his nails.  Especially considering that it is established that the alleged nail clipping employee is one that performs very well.   Not only that---since when is clipping nails over a trash can disgusting to anybody? Especially grown adults. We all do it--if I went to a family function and one of my cousins was doing it--I wouldn't be all "omg--can you believe how gross that is!?!?!?".   Unless the person making the complaint is perfect in every way (never takes a minute off of work to cater to a personal need)--there is no way that management should get involved here. If they are offended enough to inform management--they should be offended enough to walk up to the dude and have a conversation about it.    I'm glad that the OP didn't mention anything as there zero need to cater to passive aggressive (and frankly juvenile) behavior.  

Last edited by a moderator:
You're a barrel of rainbows
Perhaps. But at least I'm not an employee who wastes management's time by asking them to deal with petty complaints. It was funny on The Office when Angela would do it, because it's not funny in real life when managers have to deal with that crap.

"BTW, just wanted to let you know some folks are griping about you clipping your nails, can you believe it? (Light chuckle) Yes well be that as it may, would you mind doing that in the bathroom or at home? I really appreciate it and it's not a part of your review, just wanted to let you know and move on. Thanks for understanding."

He leaves and you grab a wee nip from your top drawer and just keep going.

If it's any kind of a professional office, it's not the classiest move of all time, and I wouldn't do it.

However: "Nasty"? "Disgusting"?

Trimming your nails is nasty? Why? We see people gnawing on their hands all day. Clipping them is gross?

If it's any kind of a professional office, it's not the classiest move of all time, and I wouldn't do it.

However: "Nasty"? "Disgusting"?

Trimming your nails is nasty? Why? We see people gnawing on their hands all day. Clipping them is gross?
publicly, yes.

When I see women applying makeup in public, I think it's tacky. 

Same with clipping nails: hey, man, do that at home.

Don't know why it's disgusting. As I said, most of us chew them off at some point.
finger/toe nails and mouths are the dirtiest parts of your body outside of the bunghole. 

maintain hygiene for those parts somewhere else.

Making a list of office clippers.

Do you people also clean your ears and trim your nose hairs at your desks?  If not, why not?

I had an employee who had the worst farting problem you could ever imagine.  It became a huge issue in the office.  I had to work through HR and we had to have a meeting with him.  He denied the whole thing.  And then less than 5 minutes after the meeting he ripped one within earshot of me and the HR Rep.  It was unbelievable.  He fessed up to it the next day and admitted having a "health issue".  We had to tread very lightly around the issue and basically gave the guy his own corner of the office.

I had an employee who had the worst farting problem you could ever imagine.  It became a huge issue in the office.  I had to work through HR and we had to have a meeting with him.  He denied the whole thing.  And then less than 5 minutes after the meeting he ripped one within earshot of me and the HR Rep.  It was unbelievable.  He fessed up to it the next day and admitted having a "health issue".  We had to tread very lightly around the issue and basically gave the guy his own corner of the office.
was it robert tilton?

this would drive me nuts in an office, but farting still cracks me up.

was it robert tilton?

this would drive me nuts in an office, but farting still cracks me up.
It was funny as hell at first, but the smell became unbearable.  The dude must have been really sick.  One lady complained to me saying she was eating her sandwich at her desk and dry heaved.  :lmao:

It was funny as hell at first, but the smell became unbearable.  The dude must have been really sick.  One lady complained to me saying she was eating her sandwich at her desk and dry heaved.  :lmao:
:lmao:

I didn't give your first post enough :lmao: .. the whole description was pretty ####### great.

Ignoramus said:
Making a list of office clippers.

Do you people also clean your ears and trim your nose hairs at your desks?  If not, why not?
Years ago a guy a work asked to borrow my scissors, I was like, sure.

A few minutes later I go into the bathroom to take a piss.  He's at the sink trimming his mustache.  

Him: "Sometimes you just have to get those hairs that are buggin ya"

Me: "Why don't you just keep those".

Someone above mentioned almost everyone bites their nails.  Not me.  Not ever.  The mere thought repulses me.

I have a fairly private office, I can't be seen at the desk with my door open unless someone walks up to the door.  That being said, I don't floss, trim hair, or trim nails in the office.  Once in a while I'll have trouble with a contact, I'll go into the restroom to fix that.  The only remotely hygiene thing I do is use a toothpick after meals.  I close my office door when doing that.

Someone above mentioned almost everyone bites their nails.  Not me.  Not ever.  The mere thought repulses me.

I have a fairly private office, I can't be seen at the desk with my door open unless someone walks up to the door.  That being said, I don't floss, trim hair, or trim nails in the office.  Once in a while I'll have trouble with a contact, I'll go into the restroom to fix that.  The only remotely hygiene thing I do is use a toothpick after meals.  I close my office door when doing that.
Ok, I use the floss essentially as a toothpick.   I have this one space between two teeth that food always gets stuck in.  I typically just floss that one space.  Acceptable?

And I never bite my nails.  I don't understand why people do that.  Nerves?  Stress?   

I never knew this was a thing until my current job. We had a Booger Banksy that was making a pattern with them on the wall next to the urinal. Or maybe it was being crowd sourced. But it went on for weeks because it seemed like the cleaning crew was refusing to do anything about it (probably because it was so disgusting.) 

Finally, someone took a putty knife or something and scraped all the petrified boogers off. Now, the wall has a pattern of white blobs because the paint under each one also came off. 
:lmao:

Ok, I use the floss essentially as a toothpick.   I have this one space between two teeth that food always gets stuck in.  I typically just floss that one space.  Acceptable?

And I never bite my nails.  I don't understand why people do that.  Nerves?  Stress?   
Anything goes for me. 

Just wanted to let you all know I just finished clipping my nails at my desk.   Gotta go, there are clipping all over the place and time for the toes.

Users who are viewing this thread