What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2017 - Playlists in post #1 (1 Viewer)

kupcho1

Footballguy
The 32 Albums We're Most Excited for in 2017 | Pitchfork

2017 looking like a stellar year (as most odd numbered years are).  I'm looking forward to new Japandroids, Vampire Weekend, St. Vincent, Arcade Fire (albeit a little apprehensively), Dirty Projectors, Fleet Foxes, Girlpool, Grizzly Bear, Real Estate. (more) The xx

And Gorillaz back ... hope it is good.7 years since Plastic Beach (which I loved)

Same with LCD Soundsystem ... be good James!

LIV looks promising

LIV

LIV is a new group with Lykke Li and Miike Snow’s Andrew Wyatt sharing vocals. Rounding out the lineup are Li’s longtime collaborator Björn Yttling of Peter Bjorn and John, Wyatt’s Miike Snow bandmate Pontus Winnberg, and producer Jeff Bhasker. They have more than an album’s worth of songs, but as of early October they weren’t necessarily dead-set on releasing a traditional album. Describing their sound, Li told us, “It has this Swedish melancholy in the melodies, but the soundscape was really influenced by Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk or Crosby Stills & Nash.” So far, they’ve shared the songs “Dream Awake” and “Wings of Love.”
Playlists:

2017 - Pure facets and features (kupcho1)

Northern Voice 

Jaysus

El Floppo

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark me down for the albums from Jason Isbell, The Mavericks, and Springsteen solo as the ones with most interest from me as 2017 kicks off.  

New Spoon this Year!! Also, Wolf Parade, Modest Mouse, Los Campesinos, Craig Finn, Rural Alberta Advantage, Elbow, etc... In addition to all the good bands listed in First post

New Spoon this Year!! Also, Wolf Parade, Modest Mouse, Los Campesinos, Craig Finn, Rural Alberta Advantage, Elbow, etc... In addition to all the good bands listed in First post
Can't wait for the Spoon and Modest Mouse. Japandroids caught my eye, too.

Excited!

New Foxygen album, Hang, leaked. Sounding more like "Take the Kids Off Broadway" than the previous 2 to me.  A full orchestra makes it even more "theatrical" than TTKOB is. Weird as usual, but really good

ericttspikes said:
New Foxygen album, Hang, leaked. Sounding more like "Take the Kids Off Broadway" than the previous 2 to me.  A full orchestra makes it even more "theatrical" than TTKOB is. Weird as usual, but really good
Didn't realize NKOTB were still making records.  

Looking forward to Mark Eitzel's new one at the end of this month.  It's produced by Bernard Butler which is an interesting choice.

Ryan Adams' new album "Prisoner" has leaked.  He's two decades into his career so you pretty much know what to expect unless he's doing a lark like covering Taylor Swift or 45 second long punk rock songs.

For fans, the overall level of songcraft is pretty high with more quality control than he displayed when he was releasing three records a year.  He supposedly recorded 80 songs to get down to the 12 that made the final cut.  Sonically, there's a lot of reverb like on 1989 but there are a few songs that wouldn't have sounded out of place on Love is Hell.  "Outbound Train" sounds kind of like a Springsteen song covered by The War on Drugs.

For non-fans, there's not much to see.

rockaction said:
RTJ3 is the only album getting me off my feet in the past year.

/rapaction
This is already on Spotify and was listed in 2016.  I was very confused while doing my end of year list. 

This is already on Spotify and was listed in 2016.  I was very confused while doing my end of year list. 
Yeah, they released it Xmas Eve and I would be confused if I was doing end of year lists. They actually said "Merry Christmas," mfers. 

I'd count the proper release of 2017. If not, best album of 2016? 

Yeah, they released it Xmas Eve and I would be confused if I was doing end of year lists. They actually said "Merry Christmas," mfers. 

I'd count the proper release of 2017. If not, best album of 2016? 
I had it in my top 5, but then saw all the official dates being in 2017 so I left it off. 

The 32 Albums We're Most Excited for in 2017 | Pitchfork

Japandroids, Dirty Projectors, Grizzly Bear, Real Estate.

Same with LCD Soundsystem ... be good James!
been happy hearing the Japandroids and DP singles dropping lately... DP seems like it's going that synth poppy blue-eyed R&B route that I thought had already run its course- but hoping for more from them.

I get a sense that Sundara Karma is a constructed for stadium pop-rock outfit with indie derivations... liked their EP from 2016 which seemed to ape off of Arcade Fire and some other more bloated (but fun) bands. anyways, their debut album appears to be out this year (Youth is Only Ever Fun in Retrospect)- continues that vein (KoL, Arcade Fire, etc- "rock" bands that are trying to do a bit more) hopefully they're for real and not some cynically put together number.

eta: NM... I've gotten through most of the album- not going to recommend this one. bloated, posery, derivative, cynical- like it was born out of some simon cowell show.

Elbow looks like they'll be releasing something too. Liked their last one.

eta:

she put out some singles and eps at the end of 16' so maybe we'll get a full album in 17', but either way I'm diggin Pip Blom in an Angel Olson kind of way.

New Wolf Parade, Spopon, Urrrrrrrl Skweatshirt, Mac Demarco and Arcade Fire are relevant to my interests.    

Does Modest Mouse have anything left in the tank?  I sort of liked the last one but it kind of felt mailed in.  

New Wolf Parade, Spopon, Urrrrrrrl Skweatshirt, Mac Demarco and Arcade Fire are relevant to my interests.    

Does Modest Mouse have anything left in the tank?  I sort of liked the last one but it kind of felt mailed in.  
Last Modest Mouse wasn't that good.

/lifelong fan, too

Not really. Their first 2 albums were solid, but still a few tracks on each I would skip if they came up on the ipod. On the other hand, Intension is the only Tool song I'd skip, unless I'm really, really high. Maybe L.A.M.C, but I normally FF through that to listen to Maynards ****.

For the metalheads:

Code Orange - Forever (released yesterday)

Spring: Mastodon, Pallbearer (March 24)

Due late 2017: The Contortionist, Converge

Due sometime in 2017: Elder, Ghost, High on Fire, The Ocean, Sleep, System of a Down

Others I'm looking forward to: Flaming Lips (only listened once, but so far I dig it), King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Minus the Bear, Cloud Nothings, All Them Witches, Temples

new Priests and Orwells singles out... hopefully followed by albums soon. looking forward to both.

eta: my 2017 catch-all spotify link

New Pain of Salvation came out yesterday  :thumbup:
Never heard them before, but gave it a listen today.  Loved the music, but the vocals rubbed me the wrong way.  Grew up on metal and still love it, but I have found that there is a VERY fine line as far as what I like and don't anymore, especially newer bands.  It's usually the vocals that does me in, and there is no rhyme or reason to it. 

Never heard them before, but gave it a listen today.  Loved the music, but the vocals rubbed me the wrong way.  Grew up on metal and still love it, but I have found that there is a VERY fine line as far as what I like and don't anymore, especially newer bands.  It's usually the vocals that does me in, and there is no rhyme or reason to it. 
I'm the same way except I'm fairly new to metal. 

Users who are viewing this thread