Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bucky86

The Mexico Border Wall Thread: Still No Wall

7 hours ago, squistion said:

I wonder how many people believe his rhetoric that The Wall is indeed being built (rather just repair of the existing structure).

https://youtu.be/0RodO1ANqvs

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/08/us/border-wall-texas.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/04/politics/new-wall-built-mexico-texas-border/index.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Repair, new sections, who cares as long as it is moving forward, lol.

We still moving forward on Mexico paying for it?  That was half the campaign promise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beef said:

We still moving forward on Mexico paying for it?  That was half the campaign promise.

old news, who cares? I don't.  Looks like cancelled military projects is paying for a lot.

Edited by JohnnyU
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

Repair, new sections, who cares as long as it is moving forward, lol.

But it hasn't moved forward a foot, lol.

Necessary repairs on the existing wall, which would have to be done anyway is not building the wall.

Edited by squistion

2 minutes ago, squistion said:

But it hasn't moved forward a foot, lol.

Necessary repairs on the existing wall, which would have to be done anyway is not building the wall.

Don’t rely on Twitter. A foot? Wrong

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/04/politics/new-wall-built-mexico-texas-border/index.html

Construction began last week on the first new miles of barrier along the US-Mexico border since President Donald Trump took office, according to two Customs and Border Patrol officials familiar with the project. 

Unlike previous construction under the Trump administration, this is the installation of a barrier where none existed before.

Customs and Border Protection, along with the Army Corps of Engineers, began installing panels for the new border wall in the Rio Grande Valley region of Texas last week, according to the agency. 

The first panel was installed last Wednesday in Donna, Texas, said one of the officials.

1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

old news, who cares? I don't.  Looks like cancelled military projects is paying for a lot.

I do.  It's almost $7 billion of taxpayer money.  

Edited by beef

7 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

You make it sound like we cancelled all these projects and then said “what will we do with the billions we saved?” That’s not the case. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The General said:

WHO COULD HAVE EVER SEEN THIS COMING

That video actually shows that walls work. If there was no wall those three dudes are across and long gone. Instead because it likely took them a very long time to set up agents got there not long after one made it over. They probably caught him and of course the other two didn't make it. I am actually shocked they didn't cut the video as soon as one guy made it over. 

There is a reason agents support these being built, especially in an area like that where it is much easier to build them and mother nature isn't being crapped on. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

That video actually shows that walls work. If there was no wall those three dudes are across and long gone. Instead because it likely took them a very long time to set up agents got there not long after one made it over. They probably caught him and of course the other two didn't make it. I am actually shocked they didn't cut the video as soon as one guy made it over. 

There is a reason agents support these being built, especially in an area like that where it is much easier to build them and mother nature isn't being crapped on. 

The fence was said to be unscalable. A "team of 20 mountian climbers" were hired to test it and couldn't do it was the claim.

They placed a ladder up to it, climbed up, and were over this thing in about 1 minute. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, The General said:

The fence was said to be unscalable. A "team of 20 mountian climbers" were hired to test it and couldn't do it was the claim.

They placed a ladder up to it, climbed up, and were over this thing in about 1 minute. 

Huh...it's almost like the billions of dollars spent to add that wall piece doesn't actually prevent people from still getting over the wall? 

44 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I don't think the argument was walls would have no effect. Rather, for the cost the money could be better spent elsewhere. Like technology at ports of entry where the bulk of the drugs enter the country. More asylum judges to help ease the massive backlog and better tracking of immigrants once they are in the country. The wall will act as nothing more than a speed bump (at the expense of our military and their families).

• Like 4

Just now, Bucky86 said:

Huh...it's almost like the billions of dollars spent to add that wall piece doesn't actually prevent people from still getting over the wall? 

If you do climb over right next to the freeway in the middle of the day and take a very long time fiddling with a ladder then you may get caught at a higher rate.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

10 minutes ago, The General said:

It was a rope ladder that I am sure they didn't just place up to it. It obviously took a bit of time and that was just enough time to get pinched.

I am happy that there are at least three less illegal immigrants in the US today. 

3 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I am happy that there are at least three less illegal immigrants in the US today. 

Or for the same money its possible we could have had 100 pounds less cocaine. We'll never know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

It was a rope ladder that I am sure they didn't just place up to it. It obviously took a bit of time and that was just enough time to get pinched.

Yes if a fence is taller it will be harder to get over. I have no clue what was in that spot prior and if this new thing takes an extra 20 seconds to climb or a minute or what ever it may be.

I’m mostly just having fun with the absurd lies that Trump threw out about his fence and still can’t believe “building a wall” and “Mexico is going to pay for it” was a resonating message to get him the nom.

The more important point to me is this is a terrible solution for a problem. Waste of money, or poor allocation of resources that we have to spend on this (although it wasn’t supposed to cost anything) there are a number of much better ways to go after this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

I don't think the argument was walls would have no effect. Rather, for the cost the money could be better spent elsewhere. Like technology at ports of entry where the bulk of the drugs enter the country. More asylum judges to help ease the massive backlog and better tracking of immigrants once they are in the country. The wall will act as nothing more than a speed bump (at the expense of our military and their families).

Plenty of people made this argument. Talked about how easy they would be to cut or climb over. Why do you think people salivate when photos show up of sections being cut using grinding wheels or diamond blades or one guy climbing over it? 

See!!!SEEE!!!!! Look how easy it is!!! 

You even basically circle right back around to it having no effect by calling it just a speed bump. 

A better argument against a wall across the entire border would be showing lime lapsed footage of sections of land where you don't see a soul for days or even weeks and you see a bunch of animals.

But as I said there is a reason that agents advocate for more sections being built. It is easier for them to stop people when there is a big huge obstacle in front of them. Unfortunately now that isn't a discussion that can be had because we just need to focus on Trump being wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

Or for the same money its possible we could have had 100 pounds less cocaine. We'll never know.

You are really advocating that on a stretch like that with such easy access alongside a major road that more security at ports would make more sense than having such a barrier? 

Come on.

I am board with not having a wall over vast stretches of our border, but right there?

Really???? No way you are being serious.

1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

You even basically circle right back around to it having no effect by calling it just a speed bump. 

Speed bumps slow traffic, they don't stop it. And as evidenced by videos, the wall will not stop people from climbing over or cutting through it.

The Democrats argue the money could be better spent on technology, border patrol, and immigration judges.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

You are really advocating that on a stretch like that with such easy access alongside a major road that more security at ports would make more sense than having such a barrier? 

Come on.

I am board with not having a wall over vast stretches of our border, but right there?

Really???? No way you are being serious.

My point is better tech at points of entry could have a much better effect in drugs entering our country than a wall slowing the entry of people. Or maybe better tech and increased border patrol could be more effective than a wall.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

Doesn’t sound like a good deal

11 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

Speed bumps slow traffic, they don't stop it. And as evidenced by videos, the wall will not stop people from climbing over or cutting through it.

The Democrats argue the money could be better spent on technology, border patrol, and immigration judges.

So basically you are arguing walls are ineffective. Weird. Could have sworn you said nobody was arguing that. 

7 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

So basically you are arguing walls are ineffective. Weird. Could have sworn you said nobody was arguing that. 

No, I said they will only slow the traffic of people - not stop it. And that the money could be more effectively used on tech, border patrol, and judges. Wall are LESS effective than the alternatives. I NEVER said NOT effective. Just like I said in my first post, quote "I don't think the argument was walls would have no effect. Rather, for the cost the money could be better spent elsewhere".

31 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

No, I said they will only slow the traffic of people - not stop it. And that the money could be more effectively used on tech, border patrol, and judges. Wall are LESS effective than the alternatives. I NEVER said NOT effective. Just like I said in my first post, quote "I don't think the argument was walls would have no effect. Rather, for the cost the money could be better spent elsewhere".

Exactly. Everyone was saying this when Trump was running around promising a huge wall running the length of the entire border. Which soon changed to just the important parts of the border after that was shown to be physically impossible. Then it just became adding some flat pieces to existing wallpieces, which as we can see doesn't seem to be doing much to prevent people from getting over. 

In the end, after billions of dollars diverted, we're right back where we started. Border at ‘Breaking Point’ as More Than 76,000 Unauthorized Migrants Cross in a Month

More than 76,000 migrants crossed the border without authorization in February, an 11-year high and a strong sign that stepped-up prosecutions, new controls on asylum and harsher detention policies have not reversed what remains a powerful lure for thousands of families fleeing violence and poverty.

2 hours ago, The General said:

Trump hired the worst mountain climbers to test this thing. Looks pretty easy.

"Only the best people"

On 11/27/2019 at 8:12 PM, beef said:

Part of the reason I won't vote for the guy for a second term.  He lied to us on this.

3 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Tie a rope to the ladder.....throw the rope over...… pull the ladder up.  

This thing was supposed to be impervious.  The President said so himself.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

Or they could just cross somewhere in the 1400 miles of border where there is no wall. 

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

What, what, what... I mean how are they doing that??!!!! 

They must be trained ninjas. Normal humans could never climb over a fence.

8 hours ago, The General said:

They must be trained ninjas. Normal humans could never climb over a fence.

Even mountain climbers couldn't do that!*

*if allegedly hired by the Trump admin

9 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

And then maybe glide down the other side on the rope? As the video shows? ;) 

15 hours ago, Bucky86 said:

Exactly. Everyone was saying this when Trump was running around promising a huge wall running the length of the entire border. Which soon changed to just the important parts of the border after that was shown to be physically impossible. Then it just became adding some flat pieces to existing wallpieces, which as we can see doesn't seem to be doing much to prevent people from getting over. 

In the end, after billions of dollars diverted, we're right back where we started. Border at ‘Breaking Point’ as More Than 76,000 Unauthorized Migrants Cross in a Month

More than 76,000 migrants crossed the border without authorization in February, an 11-year high and a strong sign that stepped-up prosecutions, new controls on asylum and harsher detention policies have not reversed what remains a powerful lure for thousands of families fleeing violence and poverty.

Never fear, new tariffs on South American countries are on the way to save the day!

needs more tough animals like a moat of electric eels or a bunch of monkeys with knives just hanging out on the wall then bam when someone tries to climb it its knifin monkey eel time take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 2

Looks like he's continuing to try thr diversion of funds. some of those funds include military construction for schools and daycares. swell

On 1/17/2020 at 7:57 PM, The Commish said:

Looks like he's continuing to try thr diversion of funds. some of those funds include military construction for schools and daycares. swell

Why would the kids of the troops need schools? If they are kept uneducated the more chance they'll enlist for want of other options and so the beast is fed.

On 1/19/2020 at 4:01 PM, [scooter] said:

Uhhhhh...you do realize that this proves that we never needed a wall, right?

Hopefully the courts don't reverse that. 

Trump Logic: Mexico has paid for 100% of the concrete wall that has been built while he has been in office.

*Not an actual quote

Edited by toshiba

On 1/17/2020 at 12:57 PM, The Commish said:

Totally foreseeable, though the USSC has not officially ruled on the issue itself yet.