What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Losing up to 4 teams - disband or continue? (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
12-team league comprised of long-time friends that has been around since 1995.  Last night at our end of season meeting we had 4 guys saying they are likely done.  The said they loved the league but just not into fantasy football anymore.   We asked them to think about it over the winter and spring and to let us know their decision in the July when we typically have our annual summer meeting.

I'm really not into trying to get 4 new owners and considering just killing the league rather than go with 8 teams.   

Has anyone else gone from 12 to 8 teams and if so what changes did you make if any to make it more enjoyable?

My league went from 10 to 8 and it was still enjoyable for us. The teams are a lot stronger since fewer players are rostered, but it's still a good time as long as you maintain league camaraderie.

We thought about adding roster spots, like another flex or 2, but in the end kept roster configuration the same.  

12-team league comprised of long-time friends that has been around since 1995.  Last night at our end of season meeting we had 4 guys saying they are likely done.  The said they loved the league but just not into fantasy football anymore.   We asked them to think about it over the winter and spring and to let us know their decision in the July when we typically have our annual summer meeting.

I'm really not into trying to get 4 new owners and considering just killing the league rather than go with 8 teams.   

Has anyone else gone from 12 to 8 teams and if so what changes did you make if any to make it more enjoyable?
If they're not into it, do you really want them keeping a team and probably meaning 1/3 of your league is not active?

the biggest factor here is your league is all long-time friends, I'd keep it going if there's interest.   Maybe make the lineups a little big larger than typical - for example starting 2 QBs makes more sense in 8 team leagues.  Something like QQRRRWWWWTTFF, makes for 16 QB, 24 RBs, 32 WR, 16 TE, plus 16 flex - puts your pool of starters roughly equivalent to most leagues.  I find the smaller the total number of starters, the greater luck factors in and the less enjoyable the league becomes.   

My league went from 10 to 8 and it was still enjoyable for us. The teams are a lot stronger since fewer players are rostered, but it's still a good time as long as you maintain league camaraderie.

We thought about adding roster spots, like another flex or 2, but in the end kept roster configuration the same.  
Agreed

Do a 2 QB league with 8, small roster with only one QB on bench, it's a lot of fun.

i can send you my rules if you want.

I've run this league for 25 years, easy to find one owner...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you could talk the 4 owners to partner up to make 2 teams - less work that way for them (can split up the duties) - and have 10 teams.

If not, 8 should work out fine. Teams will be more stacked of course but its all relative.

If it's a dynasty, contraction drafts are really fun. I would try to find 2 guys to make 10, and mix the players from the 2 dissolved teams with rookies in the rookie draft.

Not a dynasty league but that does sound kind of cool.

Thanks for the ideas guys, these are really useful!

There's no reason to break up a long-running league with friends just because you're down to 8 teams. Plenty of good ways to make an 8-team league work.

I'd second all those who said you should be expanding the starting lineups and rosters. Otherwise you're just smashing teams full of All-Pros against each other every Sunday and seeing which group gets luckier - no real fun in that IMO. I might not go as crazy as FUBAR suggests, but when I fired up my local league as an 8-teamer we started 2 / 2 / 3 / 2 / 1 / 1 plus 2 flex spots, with 22-man rosters, and it struck a very good balance.

An alternative option ... an 8-teamer with old buddies would be a perfect situation to try out a more experimental sort of format. A couple of years ago, someone in the SP threw out an idea for a league format based on Cutthroat Kitchen-type rules, which I love conceptually but would really need a group like "8 guys who have been friends for decades" to try to implement it. Or even just adding in some side games - in our local league we award "chips" in various categories each week (weekly high score, top losing score, highest score at each position, etc.) and with the accumulated stacks play a $20/pp freeze-out poker tournament at season's end.

Whatever you do, try to have some fun with it since at our age FF is no one's first priority any more. :)

Don't give up,don't ever give up.

An 8 team fantasy league is better than no fantasy league at all,especially if the remaining 8 are "into it".

If you all want to move to Central Florida,I'd be glad to give you one more owner :excited:

Open up the 4 spots to offspring of the remaining 8 owners. Some dad vs son stuff for a playoff spot would really be great at the dinner table.

Do not disband it. Find two new owners and let them have their own draft using the players from the four to-be-defunct teams. 

Or something else.

But don't disband it.

I joined a looooong time running 8 teamer a couple years ago.....pretty big money, and fairly unique rules.....I was skeptical at first, but now it's my favorite league.

We have pretty standard rosters and starting lineups, except we start a head coach as well....0 points for loss, 3 for win....extra points for margin of victory.....we also maintain roster position limits.

We also only have one waiver move every other week, worst to first......it makes your waiver pick extremely important.....we can make immediate IR waiver moves.

The scoring is TD heavy, non ppr.....you get 0 points for yardage until RB/WR/TE reaches 75 yards, then you get 3 points.....another 3 points at 100....QB'S 0 until 250 yards.

Like I said, at first I was skeptical, but I've really come to enjoy it......just a different set of rules that apply to all owners......it helps that it's a great group of guys, and we do a live draft, a playoff league, and a super bowl party.

We've had our long-time league for 20 years now. Over the way we've lost and gained a few owners, but once we got to 12 we never went down from there. Heck, we even got an owner from this board who lives in our city and he's worked out great. The core group of 8 of us are still in, but we don't mind switching up some of the other spots to keep the league at 12 and keep it competitive. 

Give it time.  I've seen people down on the game right have a heart-breaking play-off loss only to be gung-ho when fall arrived again.

Do not disband it. Find two new owners and let them have their own draft using the players from the four to-be-defunct teams. 

Or something else.

But don't disband it.
This.  As someone who has somehow been suckered into commishing 6 dynasty leagues, having to fill multiple vacancies in a league is something I usually have to deal with on a yearly basis. These are all internet money leagues though, not a league with long-time friends.

I've had to replace 3 owners in a 12 team league, but I haven't had to replace 4. I echo the advice that a dispersal draft is the way to go when replacing multiple owners.  It brings all the new owners in on a level playing field (instead of one owner inheriting a stacked team while the others inherit dumpster fires), it helps to freshen up the entire league by reshaping several rosters,  and it makes finding new owners easier when they at least have a say in what their roster will look like. When replacing multiple owners,  I empty all the players/picks from the vacant teams and let the new owners draft their squads from that player/pick pool. 

I know it can be a concerning thing to have to replace several owners in a league that you care about that's been around for quite a while but dynasty leagues can get stale 3-5 years in, and sometimes bringing in a few new owners and shaking up some of the rosters can be the best thing to happen to a long running dynasty league. 

The 8 team league I'm in with longtime friends and family is my favorite one. And it's completely cutthroat. Open waivers. All moves cost $1 and the high game of year gets that pot. The lineups are certainly stacked. I win it last year taking Luck round one and finished this year third even though I went Gurley/Miller. 

I like the suggestion of 2Qbs and I proposed a second flex that would bring the staters up to 11.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just find four replacements.  Not sure why this is so dramatic?  Life goes on… I'm sure you have more friends, no? Or maybe some of your leaguemates have friends?   Just invite four more people. Fresh blood is always good for a league.

easy.

Just find four replacements.  Not sure why this is so dramatic?  Life goes on… I'm sure you have more friends, no? Or maybe some of your leaguemates have friends?   Just invite four more people. Fresh blood is always good for a league.

easy.
That's what we do. Send out an email asking everyone to ask everyone so we can fill the leagues vacancy. Works every time! 

Also, when you put out the invites, be sure to give the 4 departing members one last chance to change their minds.

we've had a couple follks over the years who had a 2nd or 3rd ####ty season in a row get flustered and quit "in the heat of the moment" - and when I told them to take a deep breath and reconsider, they came to their senses each time. 

Chances are good you'll only have to find 2-3 people instead of all 4. 

Good luck.

:cheers:

Well to close the loop on this one: 3 of the 4 teams that wanted out did in fact quit and 1 stayed in.  Surprisingly another owner wanted out too so we have decided to continue as an 8-team league.  I've asked the remaining teams to think about changes for the upcoming season cause at this point we're a brand new league and might as well open up to new ideas.

The one thing I am sure we will do is expand the roster size because I think adding 72 players to the Waiver Wire is too much.    I'm thinking we will also start QBs to make it more interesting.  At this point we will be entertaining all suggestions -- overall I think it will re-energize the league for the guys that remain.

Godsbrother said:
Well to close the loop on this one: 3 of the 4 teams that wanted out did in fact quit and 1 stayed in.  Surprisingly another owner wanted out too so we have decided to continue as an 8-team league.  I've asked the remaining teams to think about changes for the upcoming season cause at this point we're a brand new league and might as well open up to new ideas.

The one thing I am sure we will do is expand the roster size because I think adding 72 players to the Waiver Wire is too much.    I'm thinking we will also start QBs to make it more interesting.  At this point we will be entertaining all suggestions -- overall I think it will re-energize the league for the guys that remain.
Playoffs are something to consider... either ONLY 4 teams make it, or 6 do, but 1/2 seed get byes. 

I have an 8 Owner league, it is a 2Qb league (and distance scoring), very high scoring and a lot of fun.  Long time league, running nearly 30 years.  Able to fill one slot here or there every few years since 8 is a manageable #.  The 2Qb league makes it a lot of fun, only allowed 1 Qb on bench.

PM me if you want my league rules

Playoffs are something to consider... either ONLY 4 teams make it, or 6 do, but 1/2 seed get byes. 
We have 4 teams make it, each team plays each other twice, playoffs begin Week 15/16, top 4 make it, bottom 4 play for $50. Week 17 is a a high score week, with roosters locked winner gets $25.

Godsbrother said:

Here is our starting roster:

2QB's (only 1 bench Qb allowed)

2 RB's

3 WR's (TE is treated as WR)

2 Flex (RB or WR)

1 kicker (1 bench kicker is drafted)

6 on bench, only 1 QB allowed on bench

We have a Waiver Season Cap, and unlimited bidding each week for a player, distance scoring so Qb's really light it up in this league..

You could expand your rosters to include more starting players and go at it with 8. We lost several guys with our league that dated back years and I got tired of finding replacements who actually wanted to put effort in. I disbanded and it's been about 4-5 years now. I am considering getting the band back together at the suggestion of several "OGs" 

You could expand your rosters to include more starting players and go at it with 8. We lost several guys with our league that dated back years and I got tired of finding replacements who actually wanted to put effort in. I disbanded and it's been about 4-5 years now. I am considering getting the band back together at the suggestion of several "OGs" 
This is what I was thinking.  I would rather drop to 8 teams instead of trying to add new blood to the old group.  I would look at increasing how many players start and the roster size a bit.  If this is a keeper/dynasty type league then the rookie draft should be rookies and free agents from the teams that folded.  If it is a redraft that isn't an issue.

This is what I was thinking.  I would rather drop to 8 teams instead of trying to add new blood to the old group.  I would look at increasing how many players start and the roster size a bit.  If this is a keeper/dynasty type league then the rookie draft should be rookies and free agents from the teams that folded.  If it is a redraft that isn't an issue.
This was my thoughts as well.  The good news is that 7 out of the 8 remaining teams are really into it and makes lots of moves, trades, etc. so the league should be more enjoyable.  The other guy is a bit of a kook but it is fun to have one those in the league as well.   The 4 that left, well they're good guys but if they weren't into it we may be better off without them.

Users who are viewing this thread