What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Manchester by the Sea (1 Viewer)

Apple Jack

Footballguy
Really strong. I have liked everything I've seen Casey Affleck do, so not surprised that he nailed this so thoroughly. Big Lonergan fan, too. Everybody here in peak form. Pretty grueling subject matter, but ultimately very rewarding. I haven't seen much this year so not really qualified to speak to it relative to other films, but it's as good as anything I've seen in awhile.

Yeah it was the best movie I've seen in a while. Great performances across the board. Maybe not the most satisfying ending but perfect other than that.

Havent seen this yet but I heard its pretty good and I intend to see it.   I grew up on the North Shore of Boston and the cementary scenes were shot in my old neighborhood.  

Something Apple Jack and I can agree on! Casey Affleck is one of my favorite actors. Should be an interesting movie.  

Really strong. I have liked everything I've seen Casey Affleck do, so not surprised that he nailed this so thoroughly. Big Lonergan fan, too. Everybody here in peak form. Pretty grueling subject matter, but ultimately very rewarding. I haven't seen much this year so not really qualified to speak to it relative to other films, but it's as good as anything I've seen in awhile.
:thumbup: Casey has come a long way from a supporting role in Good Will Hunting.

This was the best movie I saw in 2016. The two male leads were great.  I wasn't all worked up for Michelle Williams performance but she didn't hinder it from being a great film.  Great dialogue and humor in all the right spots.   Thrilled to see Affleck win the Golden Globe and I hope he and the movie win Oscars.

Watched this last night with great anticipation. Can someone please help me understand what the point of this movie was? 

I get that the guy was dealt a tough hand with the fire. But so what? There are 100 horrible stories to learn about everyday in this world. What was the point of the movie...just to share in someone's tragedy and how it affected him for the rest of his life?[ /spoiler] . TIA

Watched this last night with great anticipation. Can someone please help me understand what the point of this movie was? 

I get that the guy was dealt a tough hand with the fire. But so what? There are 100 horrible stories to learn about everyday in this world. What was the point of the movie...just to share in someone's tragedy and how it affected him for the rest of his life?[ /spoiler] . TIA
Yes (to your hidden question).

There are many other movies with similar storylines and themes and some of them get nominated for Oscars due to great writing, directing and acting. :shrug:  

Finally watched this on Thursday night, great movie but I did get pretty misty a few times. Excellent acting all the way around and I was especially impressed with the kid that played the nephew. 

His brother left the directions in his will hoping it would finally pull Affleck out of his hell but, in the end, Affleck just couldn't beat the demons in his mind. Especially being back there where everyone is familiar with his story (think of the scene he's working on the old mans hot water heater and he gets recognized). 

This movie utterly sucked. Somebody talk me down before I make an ### out of myself. Couldn't stand it. Sorry, Mxcgarnicle, just watched it yesterday. First word I thought of was "maudlin." Laughed, cried, but it was overall a funereal dirge. Ugh. More TK, if anyone is interested.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally watched this on Thursday night, great movie but I did get pretty misty a few times. Excellent acting all the way around and I was especially impressed with the kid that played the nephew. 
I was especially impressed by the brunettte gf with the big hooters. 

This movie utterly sucked. Somebody talk me down before I make an ### out of myself. Couldn't stand it. Sorry, Mxcgarnicle, just watched it yesterday. First word I thought of was "maudlin." Laughed, cried, but it was overall a funereal dirge. Ugh. More TK, if anyone is interested.  
I turned it off less than an hour in.   How you like them apples?

I thought it was a great movie but the thing about art is different people like different things so no need to talk you down. If the Ernest movies are more your thing there is nothing wrong with that.

I thought it was a great movie but the thing about art is different people like different things so no need to talk you down. If the Ernest movies are more your thing there is nothing wrong with that.
No, I love heavy film. I just thought this one was an utter disaster, and I loved Michelle Williams's performance. Spot-on. Just didn't like the script. Casey in the first few minutes is fantastic. I just did not like the movie.  

eta* I told family Michelle Williams should win Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars, and she should. She's been nominated. Barely had screen time, stole it from everybody.  

rockaction said:
I'm reluctant to call people out, but I wonder what @krista4thinks of this film. I'll hang up and listen if he/she has seen it.  :popcorn:
Has been high on my "to-see" list but haven't yet.  I won't read the thread until I watch it, hopefully in the next few days. :popcorn:

Just saw this.  Really good movie.  Excellent pace, rich story development, and Affleck was outstanding.

I am not a fan of this movie at all.  It was too slow and boring, the storyline and writing were nothing special, and the acting was meh.  I'm not blaming the actors because the characters were very lame.

not wanting to talk about anything all movie and sucker punching people in bars is not Oscar worthy.
It seemed like a series of scenes spliced together with no continuity... hated the editing.  Would have been a much better movie at around 1.5 hours so I wouldn't have had to endure it so long.

1 out of 5 stars.

I am not a fan of this movie at all.  It was too slow and boring, the storyline and writing were nothing special, and the acting was meh.  I'm not blaming the actors because the characters were very lame.

not wanting to talk about anything all movie and sucker punching people in bars is not Oscar worthy.
It seemed like a series of scenes spliced together with no continuity... hated the editing.  Would have been a much better movie at around 1.5 hours so I wouldn't have had to endure it so long.

1 out of 5 stars.
I agree, I am usually a fan of the Boston crew but I don't get any of the love for this.

Has been high on my "to-see" list but haven't yet.  I won't read the thread until I watch it, hopefully in the next few days. :popcorn:
Well??? 

Its either this or Hidden Figures this weekend.

Saw Lion last weekend. It was awesome, but saw it the same day we had a memorial service for a 23 year girl (cancer) in our church. Went to bed dehydrated.

Wow. I thought the fire plot point was maybe overwrought but the writing and performances were excellent, especially Affleck. I liked how he didn't triumph over his struggles which would be typical Hollywood formulaic dreck. Also liked the pacing, the flashbacks, the locations and cinematography. I can see how it won't be everyone's type of movie, but "utterly sucked" is pretty harsh.

The movie was rubbish.  There's nothing entertaining about some screwed up dude who continually makes horrible life choices. 

@McGarnicle

Yeah, I think your points are spot-on. I loved Michelle Williams in it. Thought she should have won Best Supporting Actress. I just thought it was maudlin. I know kids burning happens, I'm just not sure I like its reinterpretation in the movies. Dude tried to shoot himself in the head after killing his own kids. 

Simply technical excellence doesn't make for a good film, though, so that's why I said "utterly sucked," as a colloquial.   

yeah "utterly sucked" is not the right way to describe it, 4but by the end it had me saying "uhh yup.. that sure was a movie I guess".

It's no Greasy Strangler, that's for sure.   

Hmmmm.  Finally watched it.  I was a huge fan of You Can Count on Me so was really excited about this one.

I assume rockaction tagged me in the thread due to some love/hate posts (I'll read the thread after posting), but I was right in the middle.  LOVED the acting, with the exception of the nephew who I thought was the weak link (and not just because he was a ginger).  In particular, Affleck deserved every accolade he received - he physically seemed like a different person between the current time and the flashbacks.  I just love his understated but compelling form of acting.  Michelle Williams was mesmerizing, as always.  Supporting performances from the brother and the brother's best friend were particularly outstanding.

The parts I liked the best were small moments, like standing in the hospital trying to keep it together when he learned his brother died.  Or another favorite was when he was asking the kid if he wanted to see his dad at the morgue and said something like he "looks dead.  He doesn't look like he's sleeping, but it isn't gross either."  Things like that seemed real, and were so well done.

The settings and cinematography were lovely.

But...but...something about it left me a bit cold. I didn't feel a strong emotional connection to the story or characters as I would expect.  I also felt it could be draggy, and was too long by at least 30 minutes - and I often like long, slow movies.  And most of all, I HATED much of the use of music.  There were at least three flashback montages where WE KNOW SOMETHING SERIOUS AND DRAMATIC IS HAPPENING BECAUSE HERE IS SOME SERIOUS AND DRAMATIC MUSIC TO TELEGRAPH THAT TO YOU.  Blech.  Felt manipulative and overwrought.  I probably could have done without the whole flashback of the fire, complete with manipulative music, and learned of it in another fashion.

ok, I've typed a lot.  Could go on even more but will stop there.

tl;dr - Meh.

Hmmmm.  Finally watched it.  I was a huge fan of You Can Count on Me so was really excited about this one.

I assume rockaction tagged me in the thread due to some love/hate posts (I'll read the thread after posting), but I was right in the middle.  LOVED the acting, with the exception of the nephew who I thought was the weak link (and not just because he was a ginger).  In particular, Affleck deserved every accolade he received - he physically seemed like a different person between the current time and the flashbacks.  I just love his understated but compelling form of acting.  Michelle Williams was mesmerizing, as always.  Supporting performances from the brother and the brother's best friend were particularly outstanding.

The parts I liked the best were small moments, like standing in the hospital trying to keep it together when he learned his brother died.  Or another favorite was when he was asking the kid if he wanted to see his dad at the morgue and said something like he "looks dead.  He doesn't look like he's sleeping, but it isn't gross either."  Things like that seemed real, and were so well done.

But...but...something about it left me a bit cold. I didn't feel a strong emotional connection to the story or characters as I would expect.  I also felt it could be draggy, and was too long by at least 30 minutes.  And most of all, I HATED much of the use of music.  There were at least three flashback montages where WE KNOW SOMETHING SERIOUS AND DRAMATIC IS HAPPENING BECAUSE HERE IS SOME SERIOUS AND DRAMATIC MUSIC TO TELEGRAPH THAT TO YOU.  Blech.  Felt manipulative and overwrought.  I probably could have done without the whole flashback of the fire, complete with manipulative music, and learned of it in another fashion.

tl;dr - Meh.
My comments in the other thread on it were amazingly similar. Good acting, realistic, somewhat unlikable characters, weak soundtrack, etc.

My comments in the other thread on it were amazingly similar. Good acting, realistic, somewhat unlikable characters, weak soundtrack, etc.
Oh, I'll have to find the other thread, too.  Reading this one after posting has been interesting!

But...but...something about it left me a bit cold. I didn't feel a strong emotional connection to the story or characters as I would expect.  I also felt it could be draggy, and was too long by at least 30 minutes - and I often like long, slow movies.  And most of all, I HATED much of the use of music.  There were at least three flashback montages where WE KNOW SOMETHING SERIOUS AND DRAMATIC IS HAPPENING BECAUSE HERE IS SOME SERIOUS AND DRAMATIC MUSIC TO TELEGRAPH THAT TO YOU.  Blech.  Felt manipulative and overwrought.  I probably could have done without the whole flashback of the fire, complete with manipulative music, and learned of it in another fashion.

tl;dr - Meh.
Hey, k4. Just tagged you because I was interested in your opinion. I trust your taste. Was a weird thing. We both love David Foster Wallace. Always considered Oblivion his violation of a late-night conversation with his reader. Yeah, that's different than this; I just thought your take would be welcome. I wanted to like this movie; just didn't.  

I don't know if this makes sense, but I just thought two people with similar tastes could talk one another down. As it is, meh it is. Michelle Williams was incredible, though.  

Always considered Oblivion his violation of a late-night conversation with his reader. 
I love this.

Yeah, I'm not going to talk you down on this; in fact your "I wanted to love it" (unwritten "but didn't") is right where I am.  

I don't think Casey Affleck's carelessness is what started the fire. Faulty wiring imo. And he should've banged his nephew's girlfriend's mom. Still 8.5/10

I really enjoyed this. It was kind of like getting kicked in the nuts at several points. Like getting kicked by a very skilled ballet dancer and your going damn this hurts but that ballet is amazing.  I like films that aren't typical Hollywood formula and films that I find myself thinking about for days. There was actually a point where they were doing sort of a montage about fixing a boat motor and the kid was teaching his girl how steer and I was nearly panicked that they were going to ruin all the perfectly good misery they built up. But that [assed and the went back to kicking me in the nuts.

GF hated it, didn't finish it, and especially hated that  my answer to everything for a week after was "Do we have to talk about this now?"

Yeah - I really don't get the hate.  It was a downer, but this was not a bad movie compared to 90% of the junk out there these days..

Users who are viewing this thread