What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Divisional Round: Steelers at Chiefs discussion (1 Viewer)

Always love the classics playing.  Truly two of the best franchises in football, can't hate either team.  Should be fun. 

That said, if Ben isn't 100ŕ mobile, I'll take the Chiefs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben wearing a boot...look at the replay, lot of weight and impact right on that ankle. No way he is 100% next week. Twice vs Miami Ben ends up gimpy after. Seemed needless for him to be in the game.

I'm laying KC and the points whatever they are.

If they can play like the "good" Steelers that showed up today and not just mailing it in, I feel Pitt can beat the Pats, thus anybody really. I don't see any scenario where KC can beat the Pats.

Ben wearing a boot...look at the replay, lot of weight and impact right on that ankle. No way he is 100% next week. Twice vs Miami Ben ends up gimpy after. Seemed needless for him to be in the game.

Pitt opened as 2.5 point favourites, but now KC is favoured by 1.  Seen it as a pickem on many others.

Did not see this. Change my mind. NE beats KC anyway and a hobbled Ben (as usual in the playoffs). KC wins next week if the ankle lasts to gametime.

If Ben is at 80% or better health, I like Pittsburgh. If not, KC wins before getting trashed by NE in the conference title game.

IMO- Pittsburgh is the only AFC team with a prayer to beat New England, and that is dependent on a nearly fully healthy Ben, which seems highly unlikely.

I like KC regardless of Ben's health. I'm going to throw out the thrashing of a pathetic Dolphins team today in my evaluations of both teams. If the game were in Pittsburgh I'd take the Steelers. Ben and co. just aren't the same team on the road.

I like KC in this game too. That's the best defense in the playoffs and it's not close. And the offense is all wrinkles - they do so many things well in all phases of the game. 

KC/NEP would be the best game, too so that's how I'm rooting. 

Bell will need to over 150 and 2 scores for PIT to overcome Ben's struggles on the road....and at less than 100% health.

KC doesn't score enough to run away so this will be a close game.  But it's always tough to win at Arrowhead.

KC 20-17.

I think the Steelers best is better than the Chiefs best,  but the Steelers best is almost never on the road, and Andy Reid's teams, if I heard it right earlier, are 19-2 after a bye. 

I'm a Steelers fan and already shaking in my boots over the prospect of Mike Mitchell (or half a dozen other secondary guys) trying to tackle Tyreek Hill. He is the difference maker, along with the home-field advantage. Ben's injury just adds to my pessimism. Although I do believe what the earlier poster said that the Steelers best game beats KCs best game, should they both play that well.

Steelers D has been for real in terms of yards, points, sacks, etc. for the last couple months.  Depending on Ben, and I'm assuming he is 70-80% for the next game, this could be close or lopsided in favor of either team.  Arrowhead is tough, and the Chiefs are a very good team defensively.  Who protects their QB best should be the name of this game.  Either QB can melt down if beaten on, but I only expect one of those two to be able to take over and will out a win.  I just don't give that QB as much chance to do that in the noise of KC at less than full strength, no less.  Pittsburgh's best chance is to get on the scoreboard early and try to take away some crowd noise.  KC needs to cause turnovers.  

Two comments: 1. Tomlin should have pulled Ben with 18 point lead and under 5 min. to go. 2. Why would Denver Bronco's want Vance Joseph as their head coach when Miami was ranked 29th in 2016 on Defense? ( rooney rule interview ? ). Look at what the Steelers did to Josephs' Miami Defense today. I hope  WE ( Denver ) signs Kyle Shanahan as Head Coach!  

Two comments: 1. Tomlin should have pulled Ben with 18 point lead and under 5 min. to go. 2. Why would Denver Bronco's want Vance Joseph as their head coach when Miami was ranked 29th in 2016 on Defense? ( rooney rule interview ? ). Look at what the Steelers did to Josephs' Miami Defense today. I hope  WE ( Denver ) signs Kyle Shanahan as Head Coach!  
No need to pull him out of the game but it's unfathomable how you can call a pass play and expose him to any kind of hit. He should have just been handing off.

I'm a Steelers fan and already shaking in my boots over the prospect of Mike Mitchell (or half a dozen other secondary guys) trying to tackle Tyreek Hill. He is the difference maker, along with the home-field advantage. Ben's injury just adds to my pessimism. Although I do believe what the earlier poster said that the Steelers best game beats KCs best game, should they both play that well.
Tyreek Hill on special teams poses big threat to Steelers.  

Both 538 and ESPN have KC 64% chance to win.
Lines are currently about evenly split between Chiefs -1 and Chiefs -1.5 -- I think that it's pretty close to a coin flip personally, unless Roethlisberger's ankle is really pretty bad. Chiefs have been pretty vulnerable against the run, and Bell has been dominant lately.

This game is going to be Leveon Bell vs Tyreek Hill. The Steelers, mostly Big Ben, aren't as good on the road.  They'll have to do everything through Bell, especially if Ben is hurt. And KC has a fairly weak offense, but their special teams are beastly.  I bet Bell and Hill both have 2 TDs in this game but KC wins on a Big Ben pick.

KC: 21 Pitt: 17

Super Bowl 51 Odds

TEAM  OPENING ODDS  WEEK 1  CURRENT ODDS

New England Patriots  8-1  6-1  3-2

Dallas Cowboys  14-1  25-1  9-2

Atlanta Falcons  40-1  80-1  6

Pittsburgh Steelers  8-1  10-1  8

Kansas City Chiefs  20-1  20-1  8

Green Bay Packers  10-1  8-1  10

Seattle Seahawks  8-1  8-1  10

Houston Texans  40-1  16-1  40

Interesting. I wouldn't argue too much with the AFC side, but not sure about the NFC. I know that the Cowboys and Falcons have homefield this week, but I think that the Packers and Hawks might just be better teams. Certainly they have playoff experience on their side, which counts for a lot IMO.

Chiefs are paper tigers.  They live and die with turnovers and special teams.  If the Steelers can (1) protect the ball (2) not do stupid things on special teams, they will roll.

I think KC's biggest problem would be if Pitt got out to a more than 1 possession lead early.  I don't see them as being a great comeback team.  I do like KC's chances in a close game--or in a game where kc gets up early.  Because I do see the game as being close--I think KC wins. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Ben Roethlisberger's ankle injury "checked out okay."
Big Ben said he hurt his ankle on the second-to-last play of the game in the Wild Card win over the Dolphins. It's not believed to be serious in any way, and he might not even be listed on the injury report this week. Roethlisberger will be under center when the Steelers travel to Arrowhead on Sunday.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 
Jan 9 - 9:13 AM

I don't know....Both NFC matchups are pretty good.
 I think New England wins in a blowout. 

I also think Dallas is going to own Green Bay. The Giants are deeply flawed team that got exposed. Green Bay is nowhere near as good on defense is they  looked  against the pathetic Giants offense. Not only can Dallas run the ball, they can do so incredibly effectively. Green Bay's going to have no answer for that, or  the legitimate play action threat it will create.  And the Giants defense had some serious lapses that alllowed GB to boat race them. The Hail Mary was pathetic - you just can't let a player get behind you like that and fail to knock down the ball. IMO that play sealed the game. Giants never looked the same after that. 

Atlanta/Seattle is probably the one NFC match up I'm looking forward to, but that game could get ugly in a hurry for either one of those teams. 

I think New England wins in a blowout. 

I also think Dallas is going to own Green Bay. The Giants are deeply flawed team that got exposed. Green Bay is nowhere near as good on defense is they  looked  against the pathetic Giants offense. Not only can Dallas run the ball, they can do so incredibly effectively. Green Bay's going to have no answer for that, or  the legitimate play action threat it will create.  And the Giants defense had some serious lapses that alllowed GB to boat race them. The Hail Mary was pathetic - you just can't let a player get behind you like that and fail to knock down the ball. IMO that play sealed the game. Giants never looked the same after that. 

Atlanta/Seattle is probably the one NFC match up I'm looking forward to, but that game could get ugly in a hurry for either one of those teams. 
Dallas' pass defense isn't good. I agree that GB probably won't be able to stop the Dallas running game, but Dallas won't be able to stop Rodgers either. Whoever has the ball last is probably going to win.

Dallas' pass defense isn't good. I agree that GB probably won't be able to stop the Dallas running game, but Dallas won't be able to stop Rodgers either. Whoever has the ball last is probably going to win.
Dallas best answer to Rodgers is playing keep away, which they do exceedingly well.

Not to mention they can now go to school on the Giants defense and what they did to the Packers in the first half. 

as a lifelong Cowboys hater, I'm saying this through gritted teeth, but I think Dallas wins this game easily. 

Steelers aren't the same team on the road.  If the Chiefs don't turn the ball over they win, imo.  Should be a great game though.  

Tyreek Hill on special teams poses big threat to Steelers.  
Nope. These are playoff teams. And good ones at that. Smart coaches, and players who can execute what they're told. Tyreek will be seeing minimal chances to return kicks/punts the rest of the way.

Key will be Dallas sustaining long drives, keep Rodgers off the field. They have the perfect personnel to do that and run clock.

Nope. These are playoff teams. And good ones at that. Smart coaches, and players who can execute what they're told. Tyreek will be seeing minimal chances to return kicks/punts the rest of the way.
I think he'll get some opportunities on kick returns.  I'm hoping on punt returns, they can keep it away from him.  

The Steelers are 4-2 in road playoff games with Ben at the helm. 
And Ben has never had Bell and Brown at his disposal during the playoffs.  If Green is back, this offense is a matchup nightmare for any team.  Ben does have to limit the mistakes though.  

And Ben has never had Bell and Brown at his disposal during the playoffs.  If Green is back, this offense is a matchup nightmare for any team.  Ben does have to limit the mistakes though.  
The Chiefs defense is a slight upgrade over the Dolphins.

and by "slight" I mean "night and day". 

Dallas best answer to Rodgers is playing keep away, which they do exceedingly well.

Not to mention they can now go to school on the Giants defense and what they did to the Packers in the first half. 

as a lifelong Cowboys hater, I'm saying this through gritted teeth, but I think Dallas wins this game easily. 
The way Rodgers has played down the stretch, IMO GB isn't likely to be an easy out for anyone, much less a team that has struggled to stop the pass as much as Dallas has. I won't be surprised at all if Dallas wins, but I will be surprised if they run away with it.

The way Rodgers has played down the stretch, IMO GB isn't likely to be an easy out for anyone, much less a team that has struggled to stop the pass as much as Dallas has. I won't be surprised at all if Dallas wins, but I will be surprised if they run away with it.
No Jordy, Montgomery banged up with the knee injury, GB also got banged up on defense.  

And Dallas is at home, fresh and rested after a week off. 

I would love a close competitive game, but I'm thinking 38-20

The Chiefs defense is a slight upgrade over the Dolphins.

and by "slight" I mean "night and day". 
I'm aware of that.  The Steelers offense may still pose a matchup nightmare against one of the better defenses in the league.  They are simply that talented.  They just don't always play up to the level of talent.

I'm aware of that.  The Steelers offense may still pose a matchup nightmare against one of the better defenses in the league.  
The Chiefs were 24th in yards allowed and 26th against the run -- they live and die based on creating turnovers. If Ben is 100% and can protect the ball (iffy, obviously) Pittsburgh will win going away. IMO it's more likely that he coughs it up a time or two and we get a dogfight.

Users who are viewing this thread