Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
shader

Liverpool FC - The Climb to a Superclub

Looks like Karius was still suffering from the effects of the concussion today in a pre-season match  :excited:

Liverpool decides its better to sign the keeper they scored 7 goals against in 2 games, than stick with Karius...

Karius will end up in some 3rd division German squad wondering where it all went wrong.

Meanwhile - Liverpool are spending like drunken sailors.  Something does not quite add up yet...

Last year, including the Coutinho sale (but not the Keita buy) Liverpool had a net-spend of about €(7)M.  This year, the net spend, after Alisson, is about €200M - that just reeks of a significant sale waiting to happen...

Edited by Sinn Fein

11 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Liverpool decides its better to sign the keeper they scored 7 goals against in 2 games, than stick with Karius...

Karius will end up in some 3rd division German squad wondering where it all went wrong.

Meanwhile - Liverpool are spending like drunken sailors.  Something does not quite add up yet...

Last year, including the Coutinho sale (but not the Keita buy) Liverpool had a net-spend of about €(7)M.  This year, the net spend, after Alisson, is about €200M - that just reeks of a significant sale waiting to happen...

Mignolet  10-15M?

Sturridge  12-17M?

Ings  10M?

Lazar 10-12M?

Origi 10?

This is what you can do when your stud fullbacks cost you a total of 8M and will be there for a decade. 

Also, first time in a while they're in b2b CLs and they got 60M for last years tourny (if i recall reading that figure correctly)

I think the Allison signing means they're skipping on Fekir, too. 

This is absolutely a one off transfer window for liverpool. There will be 4-5 guys going out for sure, but the much needed depth will still be there this time.

3 minutes ago, The Gator said:

I think the Allison signing means they're skipping on Fekir, too. 

Probably - hence Shaqiri - but if Liverpool are still in for Fekir - Salah is off.

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

Probably - hence Shaqiri - but if Liverpool are still in for Fekir - Salah is off.

You can't only look at player sales as the only funding with Liverpool, at least not anymore :excited: 

That CL run last year was a pretty good money maker, that run by itself could fund Becker dollar for dollar almost. Plus second full season with expanded stadium(just in time for the CL run). They've also done very well with their marketing partners. 

10 minutes ago, The Gator said:

You can't only look at player sales as the only funding with Liverpool, at least not anymore :excited: 

That CL run last year was a pretty good money maker, that run by itself could fund Becker dollar for dollar almost. Plus second full season with expanded stadium(just in time for the CL run). They've also done very well with their marketing partners. 

my link

SF I discussed your argument in the other thread.  I know Tott like to have a net spend of 0-10M, but most other big clubs are willing to invest money into the team.

Edited by shader

Moving back to the LFC thread.  To further the point, there was a great article I read a few months ago about Klopp and Coutinho.  Klopp never wanted Coutinho to leave.  He tried every trick in the book to get him to stay.  It was actually a great article that touched on some of the personal things Coutinho was dealing with that caused him to want to go, and I left feeling not quite as betrayed by the little guy.  

The point is that Liverpool were essentially on level ground financially after the VVD deal in January.  They didn't "need to sell" anyone.  

The 142M Liverpool received was unexpected and was done reluctantly.  There was a promise that every bit of it would be re-invested, and that's what has happened.  

If you just want to look at the Klopp era, Liverpool have spent 392M and sold 255M over 3 years.  So that's 147M, or about 50M/year.  Yes, that's a bit higher than the 30M I discussed earlier.  But two things on that:

1. The 30M was an old number that most long-time LFC fans say Liverpool are comfortable with.  The new TV deal, the new main stand and the CL could be responsible for the increase.

2. If you just look at the Klopp era, you're leaving out some negative net spend in the summers before Klopp arrive.  To get an idea of where a corporation is financially, you can't cherry-pick, which is why it's good to go back in time 4-5 years so that everything evens out.

Grazie Liverpool...with this sale, Roma have gotten 160mil€ from pool via 5 transfers; Aquilani, Doni, Borini, Salah, Becker

• Like 1

Danny Ward out....  10M

it'll be easier to fund Fekir than I though :lol:

• Like 1

Just getting a chance the watch the second half of the Liverpool /Blackburn game...might be drafting Curtis Jones..... Kid has skillz

Really hope to see-

Mane           Firmino               Salah

Keita        Fabinho     Henderson

Robertson  VanDyk   Lovren     Alexander-Arnold

....an awful lot this year.

Likely get Wiljnaldum Sunday instead of Henderson, but man I love that setup. Henderson is freed up more and should thrive in the box-to-box roll. Trent and Robertson put in some fantastic crosses and switches and with Fabinho being a better #6 than Henderson, should free them up more. 

3 hours ago, The Gator said:

Really hope to see-

Mane           Firmino               Salah

Keita        Fabinho     Henderson

Robertson  VanDyk   Lovren     Alexander-Arnold

....an awful lot this year.

Likely get Wiljnaldum Sunday instead of Henderson, but man I love that setup. Henderson is freed up more and should thrive in the box-to-box roll. Trent and Robertson put in some fantastic crosses and switches and with Fabinho being a better #6 than Henderson, should free them up more. 

Honestly, I'd prefer Wijnaldum over Henderson with that lineup and I'd like to see Shaqiri over either of them as I have a feeling he'd fit in even better and it's his more natural position. 

His hips don't lie

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Honestly, I'd prefer Wijnaldum over Henderson with that lineup and I'd like to see Shaqiri over either of them as I have a feeling he'd fit in even better and it's his more natural position. 

His hips don't lie

Big fan of Shaqiri, but I think a lot of people forget how good Henderson was in a more advanced role when Gerrard was playing the 6. Six goals and 10 assists his last year in the box-2-box role and before his injury season. He was key to that team imo 

13 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Big fan of Shaqiri, but I think a lot of people forget how good Henderson was in a more advanced role when Gerrard was playing the 6. Six goals and 10 assists his last year in the box-2-box role and before his injury season. He was key to that team imo 

Shaqiri

paul joyce‏ @_pauljoyce

Loris Karius set to join Besiktas on two year loan

Huh.  I did not see that coming.

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

paul joyce‏ @_pauljoyce

Loris Karius set to join Besiktas on two year loan

Huh.  I did not see that coming.

Too soon.

What a stretch of games over the next 10 days.

Wednesday vs. Chelsea (League Cup) 

Saturday @ Chelsea (EPL)

Wednesday @ Napoli (Champions League)

Sunday vs Manchester City (EPL)

Let's see what the boys are made of.  Two really crucial EPL matches. 

On 7/19/2018 at 10:13 PM, The Gator said:

Just getting a chance the watch the second half of the Liverpool /Blackburn game...might be drafting Curtis Jones..... Kid has skillz

Reeeeeaaaalllly hope Jones gets a start at Chelsea. He was great in the preseason

9 hours ago, The Gator said:

:popcorn:

I mentioned it in one of the others threads- but putting pressure on city with their Def and without having the three up top scoring buckets of goals was scary... Because you knew those three would start scoring buckets of goals.

And so it begins.

• Like 1

Seems premature when they have a game Tuesday vs Napoli to stay alive in the CL and then host United on Sunday, followed by @Wolves (It's a trap!), vs Newcastle and vs Arsenal, @City over the holidays. 

Not quite as bad as the first run of tough matches, but bad enough -- especially without Gomez.

Also, calling it now that Jose brings an actual bus to Anfield a week from now.  Double-decker.  Straight across the six yard box.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Also, calling it now that Jose brings an actual bus to Anfield a week from now.  Double-decker.  Straight across the six yard box.

And which player or three gets thrown under that bus when they still lose?

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2018 at 7:53 AM, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Seems premature when they have a game Tuesday vs Napoli to stay alive in the CL and then host United on Sunday, followed by @Wolves (It's a trap!), vs Newcastle and vs Arsenal, @City over the holidays. 

W,W,W,W,W ... ?

Can I sign up for a draw right now?

• Like 1

Needed to settle down for a few days before I posted.  What a fantastic team. Felt like such a relief to win the trophy.  

Weird thing was that even with the success of Klopp, Liverpool was still a club getting tons of banter.  Banter will always be a part of sports, but it was really rough on the team, fan base and city. 

I really think everyone can relax now and enjoy these fantastic players and this fantastic sport . Congrats to all the resident lfc fans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluto Blutarsky said:

Squeaking through on GD because of that Allison save to go on and win it. Mental 

Craziest thing is that both lfc and Tott barely made it through group stages.  At one point it seemed impossible for tott

I'm convinced we live in a simulation....a FM2019 simulation and Klopp is playing it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluto Blutarsky said:

I'm convinced we live in a simulation....a FM2019 simulation and Klopp is playing it. 

You’ll learn to accept and be comfortable with your position on the football food chain. 

On 7/18/2018 at 10:29 AM, Sinn Fein said:

Liverpool/Spurs trajectories diverged so much before he left that I would have felt bad winding him up, but I miss @Sinn Fein.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

On 9/20/2017 at 9:21 AM, Sinn Fein said:

Wins after 73 games:

Klopp - 37
Rodgers - 41

Goals Scored after 73 games:

Klopp - 142
Rodgers - 163

Points after 73 league game:

Klopp - 132
Rodgers - 141

All Comps - first 108 matches:

Klopp - 54-31-23  196 GF 121 GA  50% win percentage
Rodgers - 59-23-26 225 GF 135 GA 56% win percentage

Jurgen Klopp - just a ####e Brendan Rodgers...

Update?

I'd completely forgotten that like HALF this thread was Sinn.

• Laughing 1

3 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Liverpool/Spurs trajectories diverged so much before he left that I would have felt bad winding him up, but I miss @Sinn Fein.

Wait, what’s this now?  Something to do with the politics board?  

9 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Wait, what’s this now?  Something to do with the politics board?  

Where's Norman Paperfan then?

5 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

No, he left left - not a TO.  😢

This.

Disagreed with Management's positions re: "Bof Sidez".