What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (5 Viewers)

I will say, Trump’s loyal base would be 100% ok with him firing Mueller.  But if he has any desire to eventually win a re-election or see his approval rating rise, he has to get through the Mueller investigation unscathed.
This ship has already sailed. 

Trump officials discovered Mueller had the emails when his prosecutors used them as the basis for questions to witnesses, the sources said.

The sources say that transition officials assumed that Mueller would come calling, and had sifted through the emails and separated the ones they considered privileged. But the sources said that was for naught, since Mueller has the complete cache from the dozen accounts
Haha, they're so ####ed. They we're probably lying through their teeth thinking they were safe. 

A lot of ridiculousness in this thread.  Hopefully, when this is over, we can put an end to the whole independent prosecutor nonsense once and for all.
Mueller is not an independent counsel, he is special counsel.

If the republicans would rather have an independent counsel, hey, have at it.

Mueller is not an independent counsel, he is special counsel.

If the republicans would rather have an independent counsel, hey, have at it.
I thought about listing all the permutations of special, independent, counsel, prosecutor, etc.  I decided against it thinking that most reasonably intelligent people would know what I was talking about.  But yeah, I'm not a fan of any of the permutations.

Nada Bakos‏Verified account @nadabakos

FollowingFollowing @nadabakos

More

Nada Bakos Retweeted Fox News

If the FBI agents text messages are fair game, aren’t emails from a .gov? Asking for a snowflake...
If a grand jury search warrant  them the GSA would give them up fairly easily.  They aren’t going to fight over priveledge.  This is another indication Mueller is playing chess and Trump’s stooges are play connect-the-dots.  

This also shows the investigation is much further along than is apparent.

Edit: Mueller more than likely had a search warrant approved by a judge to obtain the e-mails from a third party.  Again he doesn’t trust the Trump team to produce documents.

This also probably means there are other search warrants out there for other e-mails,etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump will not fire Mueller. Not now or ever. 
Any idea what your record is on these kind of statements?
That one seems like a pretty good bet. Also, Trump will not fire Jake Tapper, and Colin Kaepernick will not fire Mueller.

Whether Rosenstein will fire Mueller, or whether Trump will fire Rosenstein, on the other hand, seem far less certain.

Nada Bakos‏Verified account @nadabakos

If the FBI agents text messages are fair game, aren’t emails from a .gov? Asking for a snowflake...
Susan Simpson‏ @TheViewFromLL2

I know lol nothing matters, but, just for the record, it should be noted that the Trump campaign staked out a firmly "pro" position on the release of http://ptt.gov e-mails.

[screen capture of WikiLeaks doc in the link.]

Any idea what your record is on these kind of statements?
On Trump firing Mueller? 100%. :D

Look, Trump is an imbecile but he's not stupid. What I mean by that is...you know what I mean. Trump and his loyal buddies aren't dissing on Mueller in order to fire Mueller; they're dissing on him so that Republicans don't find what he has to say credible.

I'm already about 90% sure how this is all going to come out. Mueller, at some point next year, is going to issue a report that says Trump maybe colluded and maybe committed obstruction, but the report is going to be murky. Democrats are going to see it as proof of Trump's guilt; Republicans (even those that dislike Trump) are going to see it as either a nothingburger or not enough to remove him. If Democrats get control of the House in 2018, they will probably impeach Trump. But no Republican will vote for it, and the whole thing will seem totally partisan just as it did in 1998. There will be no chance of 67 votes in the Senate, and Trump will stay on. In fact, his approval ratings may go up, because the public likes underdogs, and it will seem then like he's an underdog. And for years afterwards liberals will hate Trump and be convinced that he broke laws and should have been removed (i will likely be one of these) while conservatives will defend him, though most will vow to themselves never again to nominate such an incompetent fool.

BTW, I really do hope I'm wrong about all of this. Because I think it's pretty clear that, even if it turns out that Trump did not formerly collude with the Russians, he did something really bad here. That whole pressure on Comey to let Flynn go, and then firing Comey when he refused- that's obstruction of justice. I don't see how anyone can disagree with that (though they do.)

Look, Trump is an imbecile but he's not stupid. What I mean by that is...you know what I mean. Trump and his loyal buddies aren't dissing on Mueller in order to fire Mueller; they're dissing on him so that Republicans don't find what he has to say credible.

I'm already about 90% sure how this is all going to come out. Mueller, at some point next year, is going to issue a report that says Trump maybe colluded and maybe committed obstruction, but the report is going to be murky. Democrats are going to see it as proof of Trump's guilt; Republicans (even those that dislike Trump) are going to see it as either a nothingburger or not enough to remove him. If Democrats get control of the House in 2018, they will probably impeach Trump. But no Republican will vote for it, and the whole thing will seem totally partisan just as it did in 1998. There will be no chance of 67 votes in the Senate, and Trump will stay on. In fact, his approval ratings may go up, because the public likes underdogs, and it will seem then like he's an underdog. And for years afterwards liberals will hate Trump and be convinced that he broke laws and should have been removed (i will likely be one of these) while conservatives will defend him, though most will vow to themselves never again to nominate such an incompetent fool.
I would tend to agree with much of this, although we vary on the particulars. The only chance we have that Trump is impeached is to get enough Republicans who actually can see more than 6 months out and who either a) want to try and save their own skins or 2) are ok with cutting Trump loose after they get their wishes on taxes and entitlements. Someone on twitter made the analogy of Trump being the getaway driver after a Mob heist, and now he's just a loose end to be tied up by the real crooks.

I would tend to agree with much of this, although we vary on the particulars. The only chance we have that Trump is impeached is to get enough Republicans who actually can see more than 6 months out and who either a) want to try and save their own skins or 2) are ok with cutting Trump loose after they get their wishes on taxes and entitlements. Someone on twitter made the analogy of Trump being the getaway driver after a Mob heist, and now he's just a loose end to be tied up by the real crooks.
I say there's no chance. Because there's no crime here that's easy for people to understand.

Watergate was pretty easy for folks to understand. Thugs broke into Democratic headquarters. They worked for Nixon's re-election campaign. Nixon didn't know about it, but after the fact when he found out he agreed to pay people off to cover it up. And it was all on tape. The tape was the smoking gun, and the tape was the reason Nixon was forced to resign. Not John Dean's testimony, not the Saturday Night Massacre. If that was all the Democrats had, they wouldn't have secured enough Republican votes to remove Nixon. The tape was the key to everything.

In this case, everything is a lot murkier. Trump colluded with the Russians? How do we know? And is that a real crime anyhow? And is firing Comey a crime? Doesn't the President have the right to fire whoever he wants? Etc. Etc. Please don't mistake my questions here as stuff that I happen to believe in. I think he's clearly guilty of obstruction, and to me that's worthy of removal. But it's not going to be clear to the public at all, and the crimes involved are confusing. And I don't think there's any tape or other smoking gun around.

Whelp...guess I was wrong...GSA simply handed them over since the Mueller asserted a warrant and/or subpoena wasn’t needed.

Mueller’s also had the e-mails sinc August which means he’s been sitting on them since then.

Loewentritt read to BuzzFeed News a series of agreements that anyone had to agree to when using GSA materials during the transition, including that there could be monitoring and auditing of devices and that, "Therefore, no expectation of privacy can be assumed."

Loewentritt told BuzzFeed News that the GSA initially "suggested a warrant or subpoena" for the materials, but that the Special Counsel's Office determined the letter route was sufficient.

As to whether the Trump campaign should have been informed of the request, Loewentritt said, "That's between the Special Counsel and the transition team."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/the-trump-campaign-claims-a-federal-office-illegally-turned

I say there's no chance. Because there's no crime here that's easy for people to understand.

Watergate was pretty easy for folks to understand. Thugs broke into Democratic headquarters. They worked for Nixon's re-election campaign. Nixon didn't know about it, but after the fact when he found out he agreed to pay people off to cover it up. And it was all on tape. The tape was the smoking gun, and the tape was the reason Nixon was forced to resign. Not John Dean's testimony, not the Saturday Night Massacre. If that was all the Democrats had, they wouldn't have secured enough Republican votes to remove Nixon. The tape was the key to everything.

In this case, everything is a lot murkier. Trump colluded with the Russians? How do we know? And is that a real crime anyhow? And is firing Comey a crime? Doesn't the President have the right to fire whoever he wants? Etc. Etc. Please don't mistake my questions here as stuff that I happen to believe in. I think he's clearly guilty of obstruction, and to me that's worthy of removal. But it's not going to be clear to the public at all, and the crimes involved are confusing. And I don't think there's any tape or other smoking gun around.
Maybe so, but bear in mind that if we're going with the Watergate analogy, it took a long time for the case against Nixon to build momentum to the point that even his staunchest allies bailed on him. It's still early in the game, even though every day under Trump feels like a month.

Back in the present day. Any chance of removing Trump hinges on an airtight obstruction case. So if he fired Comey because of Russia then yes, that's absolutely a crime. That's the only hope I have in the Mueller investigation, helping to connect those dots in a way that even Fox News can't spin away. 

It's a very dim hope, mind you.

Yeah, well you are focusing on only the collusion angle and the investigation is almost certain to hit other angles, namely the money laundering, tax evasion, dealing with Russian gangsters. It's the totality that convinces me that he will try to fire Mueller (I get there are layers to get to that outcome).

my main point is that I don't for a second believe that firing Mueller is any kind of "red line" for Republicans (as has been stated in the past). He will do this without consequence, with only "grave concern" from Republicans. They already have their pretext, they have been nurturing it for weeks now. 

I should also add that I don't for a second believe that Trump will be out of office any earlier than the end of the term. The only real drama left is to see what if any charges are brought against his family and what his reaction will be.

I couldn't disagree more. Trump and squad are going down and sooner than later.  

Also, right now the odds of Democrats winning the Presidency in 2020 is currently - 150 on Bovada. 

BTW my favorite nugget is the GSA general counsel Trump inserted (Richard Beckler who was a white collar guy from Giuliani’s firm) to presumably prevent this passed away in Sept.  He still hasn’t named a replacement...too late now.

Whelp...guess I was wrong...GSA simply handed them over since the Mueller asserted a warrant and/or subpoena wasn’t needed.

Mueller’s also had the e-mails sinc August which means he’s been sitting on them since then.
Dude, totally not fair. NO one reads the terms and conditions, man.  

PS - Stupid watergate indeed. 

How is a letter to Congress the legal remedy here?  If they were serious, and not grandstanding for PR purposes, wouldn't a court be the place to turn?  

My initial assumption is that Mueller is clowning them as they play with their 1D Rubik's "Cube", but someone please educate me on this:

The batch of emails totaling thousands of pages of communications was improperly provided to Mueller by the federal General Services Administration, the organization claimed in a letter delivered to congressional investigators.

“This morning we sent a letter to Congress concerning the unauthorized sharing of private and transition emails with the Mueller team,” lawyer Kory Langhofer said in an interview.

How is a letter to Congress the legal remedy here?  If they were serious, and not grandstanding for PR purposes, wouldn't a court be the place to turn?  

My initial assumption is that Mueller is clowning them as they play with their 1D Rubik's "Cube", but someone please educate me on this:
Yes. Exactly. 

Natasha Bertrand‏Verified account @NatashaBertrand

.@chrisgeidner spoke to a senior GSA lawyer, who said of the Trump transition team: “In using our devices," transition team members were informed that materials "would not be held back in any law enforcement" actions. "Therefore, no expectation of privacy can be assumed."

That's crazy
I thought so.  I'd never even received a warning for a post before, and didn't get a warning or explanation for this one, which was obviously a joke, and completely inoffensive even if you didn't find it funny.

Just so I'm clear - I don't actually think that Trump is a member of NAMBLA, or that he uses crystal meth.  I'm pretty certain NO ONE thinks those things.

I disagree with you on this.  Why wait for Mueller's report when you can just prevent Mueller from writing the report in the first place?  If Trump gets rid of Mueller, is this congress going to impeach him for obstruction?  I don't see that as likely at all.

BTW my favorite nugget is the GSA general counsel Trump inserted (Richard Beckler who was a white collar guy from Giuliani’s firm) to presumably prevent this passed away in Sept.  He still hasn’t named a replacement...too late now.
Another nugget is that his obituary says that he became general counsel to the GSA in May 2017, which was after the transition period had ended.

Mueller playing 72D chess." Oh you wanna leak my agents pro-clinton texts? Now I'm gonna make you :cry:  over your leaked government transition emails."  Game set match. 
The pro-Clinton texts look terrible for Mueller.  We probably want to wait and see what the Kushner emails contain, before we try to compare them.

the issue with trump is that there are plenty of tapes, but much of the sigint is top secret or some variant thereof, which means we might not see the totality of it for years. 

i expect we will see the minimum of this info required to oust him from office

Maybe so, but bear in mind that if we're going with the Watergate analogy, it took a long time for the case against Nixon 
I just want to note here that if we had had 24 hour news channels and internet back then, Nixon would have been gone a lot sooner. Everything happens much faster now. 

the issue with trump is that there are plenty of tapes, but much of the sigint is top secret or some variant thereof, which means we might not see the totality of it for years. 

i expect we will see the minimum of this info required to oust him from office
Any proof of a single word of the above?

How are you able to say that the Strozk stuff looks terrible for Mueller but you can't say whether anything looks terrible for Trump?
I should have said Mueller’s investigation, not Mueller.  It appears Mueller immediately saw how bad it was and fired him on the spot.  

And yes, the Flynn firing looks bad on Trump’s administration, if that’s where you’re going with this.

I should have said Mueller’s investigation, not Mueller.  It appears Mueller immediately saw how bad it was and fired him on the spot.  

And yes, the Flynn firing looks bad on Trump’s administration, if that’s where you’re going with this.
As does half of Trumps hirings.

Users who are viewing this thread