What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (5 Viewers)

HE'S A DEMOCRAT!! (even though he's a Republican and was installed by Trump himself last year).  Basically, if you aren't willing to break the law for Trump you're anti-Trump and need to be removed from your job. 
I mean the guy came off extremely competent and knowledgeable...despite the obvious attempts by the GOP trying to get him to bash Mueller.  He basically made Mueller look even more credible (not that anyone who listens to Trump will believe that)

I mean the guy came off extremely competent and knowledgeable...despite the obvious attempts by the GOP trying to get him to bash Mueller.  He basically made Mueller look even more credible (not that anyone who listens to Trump will believe that)
because he's a professional that's driven by the rule of law as opposed to politics. 

I just don't see Trump taking the risk of shutting down the investigation.  As a political matter, discrediting the investigation probably gets him the most benefit without much blowback.  Shutting it down, particularly when you don't know what might get leaked or picked up by a state AG strikes me as not just horribly over the line, but just politically ill-advised.  

I just don't see Trump taking the risk of shutting down the investigation.  As a political matter, discrediting the investigation probably gets him the most benefit without much blowback. 
Yeah, but there's no one new being convinced.  It's not like anyone with reasonable brain power and an open mind is reading this stuff and falling for it.  Fox News talking about a coup? That's a big step towards InfoWars, not to convincing Americans that Mueller isn't credible.  

They are actually overestimating how stupid Americans are.  I didn't think that was possible, but it seems to be. They are insulting Americans to their face.

I just don't see Trump taking the risk of shutting down the investigation.  As a political matter, discrediting the investigation probably gets him the most benefit without much blowback.  Shutting it down, particularly when you don't know what might get leaked or picked up by a state AG strikes me as not just horribly over the line, but just politically ill-advised.  
Yeah, this is why the House Intelligence Committee is pressing to shut down its investigation and put out it's "report" so quickly without doing a full investigation.  I'm sure they will conclude there was "no collusion" and Trump will point to it and say Mueller is on a witch hunt and needs to stop.

Yeah, but there's no one new being convinced.  It's not like anyone with reasonable brain power and an open mind is reading this stuff and falling for it.  Fox News talking about a coup? That's a big step towards InfoWars, not to convincing Americans that Mueller isn't credible.  

They are actually overestimating how stupid Americans are.  I didn't think that was possible, but it seems to be. They are insulting Americans to their face.
ya, anyone with any kind of brain has to just shutoff when you're talking about the FBI = KGB or anything remotely close.  

The funny thing is that Trump is in power, it's his justice dept, his agencies, he's made nominations for those spots and he's still not happy because they won't break the law for him.  If they really feel that what Mueller did with the emails is illegal, there's a really simple cure...take the IC to court and battle out the merits based on the law...pretty simple...instead they went to Congress and Faux News for political purposes because they don't have a legal leg to stand on....

Yeah, this is why the House Intelligence Committee is pressing to shut down its investigation and put out it's "report" so quickly without doing a full investigation.  I'm sure they will conclude there was "no collusion" and Trump will point to it and say Mueller is on a witch hunt and needs to stop.
How anyone can take much of the House investigation seriously given Nunes and some of the questioning is hilarious.  There is no way they will do anything other than claim there was nothing wrong.

I imagine all indictments, if there are any at all, of members in Trump's administration will come down at once rather than trickling out, right?

I mean, all we've seen so far are pleas or indictments for folks fired or on the fringes or not involved at all in the administration.

Is Mueller going to package everything up, and drop all of it at the same time?  Seems like a good strategy given that if he dropped an indictment on Kushner, Trump would go ape####.

I imagine all indictments, if there are any at all, of members in Trump's administration will come down at once rather than trickling out, right?

I mean, all we've seen so far are pleas or indictments for folks fired or on the fringes or not involved at all in the administration.

Is Mueller going to package everything up, and drop all of it at the same time?  Seems like a good strategy given that if he dropped an indictment on Kushner, Trump would go ape####.
In a vacuum, I agree.  But, Mueller also is dealing with a political reality that Trump can sabotage the investigation, particularly with a complicit congress that will say “nothing to see here” with respect to indictments of the fired and fringes.  He removes that narrative by indicting Kushner now.  They may come up with a new narrative, but that would require stamina and mental gymnastics I don’t think, as a body, congress has in them, particularly for a guy no one really likes.

Plus, Mueller gets the added bonus that Trump loses his mind, which might be personally gratifying to watch, but more importantly would lead to mistakes and, thus, more legal exposure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who could have known Russians were trying to infiltrate my campaign:

In the weeks after he became the Republican nominee on July 19, 2016, Donald Trump was warned that foreign adversaries, including Russia, would likely try to spy on and infiltrate his campaign, according to multiple government officials familiar with the matter.

The warning came in the form of a high-level counterintelligence briefing by senior FBI officials, the officials said. A similar briefing was given to Hillary Clinton, they added. They said the briefings, which are commonly provided to presidential nominees, were designed to educate the candidates and their top aides about potential threats from foreign spies.

The candidates were urged to alert the FBI about any suspicious overtures to their campaigns, the officials said.

The Clinton campaign didn't respond to a request for comment.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fbi-warned-trump-2016-russians-would-try-infiltrate-his-campaign-n830596

"That the Republican and Democrat nominee for President received a standardized briefing on counter-intelligence is hardly a news story," said Raj Shah, a White House spokesman. "That NBC News hears about the contents of this classified conversation due to an inappropriate leak is a news story."
Once again, the leaks are the real story here.

In a vacuum, I agree.  But, Mueller also is dealing with a political reality that Trump can sabotage the investigation, particularly with a complicit congress that will say “nothing to see here” with respect to indictments of the fired and fringes.  He removes that narrative by indicting Kushner now.  They may come up with a new narrative, but that would require stamina and mental gymnastics I don’t think, as a body, congress has in them, particularly for a guy no one really likes.

Plus, Mueller gets the added bonus that Trump loses his mind, which might be personally gratifying to watch, but more importantly would lead to mistakes and, thus, more legal exposure.
I doubt that all the work Mueller has done disappears if he gets fired.  If he were to have indicted a number of folks close to Trump and in the administration, but is keeping them under seal, then is it possible those seals could be lifted if he's fired?  

I have no clue how sealed indictments work and what conditions you can put into them, if any, to prompt their release.

Has anyone in the Trump administration said anything about firing Mueller?

A friendly reminder that the GOP establishment and Trump are not necessarily on the same team here.

Trump privately calling Rosenstein a threat to his presidency: report

President Trump has referred to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who appointed Robert Mueller as the special counsel for the Russia probe, as “a threat to his presidency,” according to a report in The Washington Post.

The report, published Sunday, said Trump has referred to Rosenstein as “weak” and made fun of the deputy attorney general’s testimony last week in front of the House Judiciary Committee.

The president has also complained about Rosenstein being “a Democrat," although the Justice Department official is actually a Republican, the Post said.

A friendly reminder that the GOP establishment and Trump are not necessarily on the same team here.
I like that you posted this and this within a minute or so of each other.

GOP and sitting Republican President of the United States: maybe not on the same team!  Also, the DNC is being controlled by a powerless old woman who shills books!

Good point.  Some in the GOP want to defund the Mueller investigation, some want it ended completely, others are working around the clock to discredit Mueller and his team to nullify their findings, some want to replace the person with the power to fire Mueller in an effort to derail the investigation.

The party is all over the place when it comes to Mueller.

No.  They didn’t about Comey either, except to say he has Trump’s support days before he, of course, was fired.

So you think the GOP establishment, with their actions to discredit Mueller and his investigation and the FBI, are not on the same team as Trump?

I doubt that all the work Mueller has done disappears if he gets fired.  If he were to have indicted a number of folks close to Trump and in the administration, but is keeping them under seal, then is it possible those seals could be lifted if he's fired?  

I have no clue how sealed indictments work and what conditions you can put into them, if any, to prompt their release.
Agreed that the work doesn’t go to waste.  But, it presumably does gum up the process quite a bit.  Plus, Trump can work on monkeying with all the various investigative bodies (see Preet, Boente, etc) and appoint schlubs to further slow things down.

He’s toast in the end, but how long it takes also is a concern for the country.

You can pick any single troublesome response to Russia's meddling and consider it in an alternative universe and the conservative response would have been nuclear, making this thread look like a sewing circle.

Imagine if the Russians had hacked RNC and Trump campaign emails and spread lies about Trump on social media in an effort to get Clinton elected and Clinton refused to acknowledge it.

Imagine if the Russians had hacked RNC and Trump campaign emails and spread lies about Trump on social media in an effort to get Clinton elected and Clinton had fought efforts to impose sanctions.

Imagine if the Russians had hacked RNC and Trump campaign emails and spread lies about Trump on social media in an effort to get Clinton elected and Clinton administration officials (including Clinton herself) repeatedly lied about contacts with Russians during the campaign and transition.

Imagine if the Russians had hacked RNC and Trump campaign emails and spread lies about Trump on social media in an effort to get Clinton elected and Clinton's NSA lied about his contacts with Russians but Clinton kept him on even after she was told about his lies.

Imagine if the Russians had hacked RNC and Trump campaign emails and spread lies about Trump on social media in an effort to get Clinton elected and Clinton subsequently revealed classified intelligence to the Russian ambassador during a secretive Oval Office meeting.

And on and on and on. Any of those combinations, on its own, would have resulted in unbridled outrage, 24/7 news coverage, endless Congressional hearings, non-stop badgering from the press demanding answers from the Clinton administration and every Democratic politician in the country, and probably impeachment proceedings. Not even the nothingburger posse can say otherwise with a straight face. And I didn't even get to the "Comey getting fired" part of the timeline, which is when the #### really hit the fan.

Trump was warned by senior FBI officials after he became the nominee on July 19, 2016 that his campaign could be infiltrated by Russia, and was "urged to alert the FBI about any suspicious overtures to their campaigns." Trump Tower meeting was on June 9. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fbi-warned-trump-2016-russians-would-try-infiltrate-his-campaign-n830596 …

8 days later — July 27, 2016: “Russia, if you’re listening...”

Trump was warned by senior FBI officials after he became the nominee on July 19, 2016 that his campaign could be infiltrated by Russia, and was "urged to alert the FBI about any suspicious overtures to their campaigns." Trump Tower meeting was on June 9. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fbi-warned-trump-2016-russians-would-try-infiltrate-his-campaign-n830596 …

8 days later — July 27, 2016: “Russia, if you’re listening...”
Oh, the FBI you say?  Is that the same FBI that let Hillary off the hook?  

If the FBI says something, its only natural to do the opposite of what they want because they are obviously partisan hacks.  Deep state, durr de durr.

One thing I'm curious about is whether the GOP continues its trend, goes all-in on, or is suddenly quiet about Mueller.... once Trump signs the tax bill into law.

I suspect we'll start to hear more GOP "voices of reason" regarding letting Mueller do his job.... thus they wouldn't necessarily be on the same team in this instance.

If, however, the present trend continues or accelerates once the bill is signed, I'll simply be left shaking my head at the ongoing "party-over-country" behavior.

do you trust anything this administration says?  Self preservation is a powerful motivator for a guy that views himself as above the law.
It's all over the news that Mueller could be fired.  I am asking why anyone thinks this administration is going to do that if no one in the administration has said anything of the sort.  The company line has always been they will not do this.  

It's all over the news that Mueller could be fired.  I am asking why anyone thinks this administration is going to do that if no one in the administration has said anything of the sort.  The company line has always been they will not do this.  
I heard Trump say he wouldn't do it.  That makes him doing trying it almost a certainty.

Please show me where someone in the Trump administration has called for Mueller to be fired. Everyone's running around with their heads cut off over something that has never been said by this administration. It's the definition of fake news.
You responded to a post asking you why you believe anything this administration says with that tripe I quoted.  Please answer that question first.

I heard Trump say he wouldn't do it.  That makes him doing trying it almost a certainty.
LOL. He is likely to veto the tax plan too with that logic. And he secretly loves DACA and open borders.  Whatever he says, expect the opposite.  Bizzaro timeline we are all living in here.  

Please show me where someone in the Trump administration has called for Mueller to be fired. Everyone's running around with their heads cut off over something that has never been said by this administration. It's the definition of fake news.
Trump's surrogates, including multiple people at Fox news, have been stating it pretty clearly. He doesn't have to say it himself for it to become a threat.

Also, constantly using phrases like "everyone's running around with their heads cut off" - makes you guilty of the very behavior you're attempting to project onto others. Inane hyperbole (in a purposeful attempt to irritate?) in this case.

LOL. He is likely to veto the tax plan too with that logic. And he secretly loves DACA and open borders.  Whatever he says, expect the opposite.  Bizzaro timeline we are all living in here.  
Please link to anyone in the administration saying he wouldn't veto the tax plan. Everyone's running around with their heads cut off over something that has never been said by this administration. It's the definition of fake news.

I don't think Trump (or Rosenstein or anyone else) will fire Mueller, but the administration's pronouncements (or lack of pronouncements) on the subject don't count as evidence one way or the other, IMO. Right before Trump fired Comey, Trump said that he wasn't going to fire Comey, didn't he?

I don't think Trump (or Rosenstein or anyone else) will fire Mueller, but the administration's pronouncements (or lack of pronouncements) on the subject don't count as evidence one way or the other, IMO. Right before Trump fired Comey, Trump said that he wasn't going to fire Comey, didn't he?
INCONCEIVABLE!!!!!  According to @David Dodds this administration has to be taken at their word!  

apparently, it's based on people that have spoken to the President or the WH that these are things that have said/discussed.   He certainly hasn't been on record about it but often times these things start as rumors, whispers behind the scenes and sometimes become reality not long after.  Trying to predict what this President will do to any degree of accuracy is an exercise in futility but you also can't rule anything out as he takes pride in doing what others won't / haven't done.  

Users who are viewing this thread