What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (14 Viewers)

Do you think this merits a deeper probe?
I have zero problem with the IG doing it. In fact I think it's a good idea, I'm a supporter of IG's on the city, state and federal levels.

However anything done pursuant to Trump's demands, no I do not. Congress too has total oversight too. And that's not a Trump thing, that's about the DOJ having independence and Congress being the creator and overseer of the DOJ.

These were Wray's words:

“That’s not the term I would use,” Wray told lawmakers on the Senate Appropriations Committee when asked if FBI agents engage in "spying" when they follow FBI policies and procedures. “Lots of people have different colloquial phrases. I believe that the FBI is engaged in investigative activity, and part of investigative activity includes surveillance activity of different shapes and sizes, and to me the key question is making sure that it's done by the book, consistent with our lawful authorities.”

Sounds to me like a game of semantics going on here. You call it investigative activity, I call it spying. Either way, a governmental agency engaged in clandestine investigatory activities. As a citizen, I want to know why. If it is properly predicated, I have no issue whatsoever. If it is not, I want to know why. 
In the simplest of terms, Trump and his team were told the Russians were interfering in the election and let them know if they are contacted. They are watching the Russians and see them contact Trump’s team. They say nothing. Yada yada Trump’s campaign manager, who shared polling daya with the Russians, is currently in jail

On March 24, 2016, Papadopoulos met with Mifsud in London. Mifsud was accompanied by a Russian female named Olga Polonskaya. Mifsud introduced Polonskaya as a former student of his who had connections to Vladimir Putin. Papadopoulos understood at the time that Polonskaya may have been Putin’s niece but later learned that this was not true. During the meeting, Polonskaya offered to help Papadopoulos establish contacts in Russia and stated that the Russian ambassador in London was a friend of hers. Based on this interaction, Papadopoulos expected Mifsud and Polonskaya to introduce him to the Russian ambassador in London, but that did not occur.Following his meeting with Mifsud, Papadopoulos sent an email to members of the Trump Campaign’s foreign policy advisory team. The subject line of the message was “Meeting with Russian leadership--including Putin.”

The message stated in pertinent part:

I just finished a very productive lunch with a good friend of mine, Joseph Mifsud, the director of the London Academy of Diplomacy--who introduced me to both Putin’s niece and the Russian Ambassador in London--who also acts as the Deputy Foreign Minister.

The topic of the lunch was to arrange a meeting between us and the Russian leadership to discuss U.S.-Russia ties under President Trump. They are keen to host us in a “neutral” city, or directly in Moscow. They said the leadership, including Putin, is ready to meet with us and Mr. Trump should there be interest. Waiting for everyone’s thoughts on moving forward with this very important issue.
- Mueller report.

As the report explains, Mifsud is a Russian agent.

Whaddya think, Ack, should maybe our intelligence services should have been looking at this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, people crowing about obstructing an investigation into a nonexistent crime have nothing to say about the intelligence apparatus (and its media partners) implicating a presidential campaign in a treasonous conspiracy theory based on a complete hoax.  

Take the blinders off for a second.  The latter is a far greater threat to democratic norms than the former.  If a network of spooks and "journalists" can spin up a false narrative, effectively slandering people- wrongfully- as traitors and Russian agents- they can do it to anyone.  It's aggravating how few people seem to have a problem with it.  
Ask yourself, why would the FBI, DOJ, whomever choose to spy on a candidate that most thought had such a small chance of winning?  What was the endgame?  Why did Comey release that statement about Hillary just days before the election if they were in the bag for her?  Why not a whiff of a leak about investigating Trump?

Nothing about your narrative makes any kind of sense in the least. 

These were Wray's words:

“That’s not the term I would use,” Wray told lawmakers on the Senate Appropriations Committee when asked if FBI agents engage in "spying" when they follow FBI policies and procedures. “Lots of people have different colloquial phrases. I believe that the FBI is engaged in investigative activity, and part of investigative activity includes surveillance activity of different shapes and sizes, and to me the key question is making sure that it's done by the book, consistent with our lawful authorities.”

Sounds to me like a game of semantics going on here. You call it investigative activity, I call it spying. Either way, a governmental agency engaged in clandestine investigatory activities. As a citizen, I want to know why. If it is properly predicated, I have no issue whatsoever. If it is not, I want to know why. 
You know they had to bring this to a judge to sign off on and everything, right?

This wasn't some rogue investigation. It's all documented and approved.

On May 6, 2016, 10 days after that meeting with Mifsud, Papadopoulos suggested to a representative of a foreign government that the Trump Campaign had received indications from the Russian government that it could assist the Campaign through the anonymous release of information that would be damaging to Hillary Clinton.

This information is contained in the FBI case-opening document and related materials. [Redacted]. The foreign government conveyed this information to the U.S. government on July 26, 2016, a few days after WikiLeaks’s release of Clinton-related emails. The FBI opened its investigation of potential coordination between Russia and the Trump Campaign a few days later based on the information.
- Let's keep in mind, as Republicans are happy to remind everyone, whether data off of Hillary's email server had been hacked was a very big question of fact, still is.

- And lo and behold, in June what should happen but yes indeedy data is taken off of Hillary's campaign manager and the DNC. And it's deployed to influence the election in just that fashion.

Whaddya think, @Weebs210, @GoBirdsor @Ack88do you think maybe this is something the intelligence community should have investigated???

In the simplest of terms, Trump and his team were told the Russians were interfering in the election and let them know if they are contacted. They are watching the Russians and see them contact Trump’s team. They say nothing. Yada yada Trump’s campaign manager, who shared polling daya with the Russians, is currently in jail
Source please.

- Let's keep in mind, as Republicans are happy to remind everyone, whether data off of Hillary's email server had been hacked was a very big question of fact, still is.

- And lo and behold, in June what should happen but yes indeedy data is taken off of Hillary's campaign manager and the DNC. And it's deployed to influence the election in just that fashion.

Whaddya think, @Weebs210, @GoBirdsor @Ack88do you think maybe this is something the intelligence community should have investigated???
I do.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an independent. I voted for Obama in 2012 and Trump in 2016.

I want to know how our government and people within behave. The political party matters not.

You know they had to bring this to a judge to sign off on and everything, right?

This wasn't some rogue investigation. It's all documented and approved.
So, let's find out who approved it and why it was approved. I'll accept the findings.

Question:  The Mueller report makes it clear that the Trump campaign was actively trying to get compromising information on Clinton from the Russians.  Is your issue that Mueller ultimately established that there was no quid pro quo going on and no evidence of conspiracy (which I think is right, based on the Mueller report)?
Well, I think it's possible to seek information on an opponent without being 'compromised' by the people offering the information.  You don't have to like it, I don't, but I don't think it makes them traitors or something. 

But yes, if there is a quid pro quo involved that's obviously a different situation.  I wouldn't rate it up there with treason, but certainly underhanded and probably illegal.  

Even if it is from a foreign government?
A foreign government with whom you're working a huge deal to open a hotel in their country? That will make you hundreds of millions of dollars?  And you need their support, politically, to get this deal done?

Ask yourself, why would the FBI, DOJ, whomever choose to spy on a candidate that most thought had such a small chance of winning?  What was the endgame?  Why did Comey release that statement about Hillary just days before the election if they were in the bag for her?  Why not a whiff of a leak about investigating Trump?

Nothing about your narrative makes any kind of sense in the least. 
I don't know- it just stinks to me.  I think they were a lot more keen on the unlikelihood of a Russian collusion scheme than they've let on.  

Comey said he was "operating in a world where Hillary Clinton was going to beat Donald Trump." 

"Wasn't the decision to reveal influenced by your assumption that Hillary Clinton was going to win, and your concern that, she wins, this comes out several weeks later and then that's taken by her opponents as a sign that she's an illegitimate president?," Stephanopoulos asks.

It must have been," Comey responds, adding, "I don't remember consciously thinking about that, but it must have been. I was operating in a world where Hillary Clinton was going to beat Donald Trump. I'm sure that it was a factor. I don't remember spelling it out, but it had to have been. That she's going to be elected president, and if I hide this from the American people, she'll be illegitimate the moment she's elected, the moment this comes out."

So his actions prior to the election were with the understanding that Clinton was going to win anyway. 

Why they didn't announce the investigation into Trump, I don't know.  One key difference to me is that the email investigation had a factual predicate- Clinton used a private email server to conduct official state business- where crossfire hurricane (which I don't believe was technically centered on Trump perse- the warrants and spying happened to George P and Page, though I've read that FISA warrants entail a 'two-hop' dragnet, so 2 degrees of Carter Page could have ostensibly led to surveillance on the whole Trump campaign) was premised on suspicion of something nefarious.  I don't believe either of Carter Page or George Papadopolous actually committed a crime in 2016.  

I think there's also different classification procedure on counterintelligence investigations, but I could be wrong.  It's hard to say why they spied on the Trump campaign.  But it definitely happened, and there doesn't appear to have been a legitimate basis for it to have gone to the extent it did.  The only way it doesn't make sense is if you actually believe intelligence agencies only spy on people for benevolent reasons.  

Again, people crowing about obstructing an investigation into a nonexistent crime have nothing to say about the intelligence apparatus (and its media partners) implicating a presidential campaign in a treasonous conspiracy theory based on a complete hoax.  

Take the blinders off for a second.  The latter is a far greater threat to democratic norms than the former.  If a network of spooks and "journalists" can spin up a false narrative, effectively slandering people- wrongfully- as traitors and Russian agents- they can do it to anyone.  It's aggravating how few people seem to have a problem with it.  
It isn't a non-existent crime.

I think your obsession with this isn’t healthy and hope you all reach a point where you can move on at some point. 

True.

Spying has a loaded connotation

My question to our board is this:

Knowing what we know, should the FBI/DOJ look into the origin of Azra Turk?
The bolded is correct.  It’s always been a play on words.  Trump does it all the time, just like when he said they broke in to his attorney’s office and stole files. Having a warrant and collecting evidence is hardly breaking in but it plays better to say it that way.  Same thing with the “spying”

I know what happened.  Was just unclear what you meant by "knowing what we know".  What?  that the CIA sent the operative?  Sure, look into I guess.  They were chasing leads that russia was attempting to meddle in the election.  They were not "out to get Trump".  That is total nonsense.   First, no one thought he was going to win.  Second, Comey pulled the rug out from Hillary days before the vote (not that I am saying that cost her the election, I have no idea if that is true.  It is wholly inconsistent with trying to get Trump).

The disinformation machine on the right is truly breathtaking.  As evidenced by responses in this thread, and on social media generally, the right has actually convinced their followers that Barr is being attacked because he will ultimately uncover deep state activity to "spy" (lol) on Trump and initiate a coup to remove him from office.  THAT is what this whole thing is truly about!  Sweet baby jesus.

Meanwhile, 500 bi-partisan prosecutors from every corner of America have all signed a letter stating that but for the fact that he is President, Trump would be criminally indicted on obstruction of justice charges.  That is incredible.  Yet the faithful soldiers on the right dismiss it out of hand.
It's effing disgusting is what it is.

So, do you think there needs to be further inquiry into this?

There are many who were not aware of this until recently.
The Halper story is a year old. All they’ve added here is putting the name of an FBI agent who is completely ruined as a covert asset now. This is a good idea?

I know what happened.  Was just unclear what you meant by "knowing what we know".  What?  that the CIA sent the operative?  Sure, look into I guess.  They were chasing leads that russia was attempting to meddle in the election.  They were not "out to get Trump".  That is total nonsense.   First, no one thought he was going to win.  Second, Comey pulled the rug out from Hillary days before the vote (not that I am saying that cost her the election, I have no idea if that is true.  It is wholly inconsistent with trying to get Trump).
I make no presumption with regard to whether or not they were out to get Trump. My question is if people are interested in digging deeper as to why this took place.

Trump is a crook and should not be the potus. 

But we cannot expect him to be held accountable. DC is full of idiots who have zero integrity. 

The only way to get rid of trump is to vote him out and restore normalcy back in the highest office. 

We shouldn’t expect anything else. 

The Halper story is a year old. All they’ve added here is putting the name of an FBI agent who is completely ruined as a covert asset now. This is a good idea?
Are you interested in why Hapler was involved? 

I would like to know where this started and who began the process (and for what reason). 

Let the evidence fall where it may.

Do you oppose this?

Are you interested in why Hapler was involved? 

I would like to know where this started and who began the process (and for what reason). 

Let the evidence fall where it may.

Do you oppose this?
What about the two pieces quoted above? It’s stated in the report.

@ren hoek - no matter whether the President, or Russia, or Seth Rich or anyone else was individually involved in it, the unauthorized access, removal, and distribution of private communications from any server in the U.S. constitutes a crime (really, a number of crimes.)  The investigation into that crime was obstructed.

/end
The Trump campaign was investigated for an illicit conspiracy with Russia.  In other words, a nonexistent crime.  The Trump campaign had nothing to do with the alleged hack.  

The Trump campaign was investigated for an illicit conspiracy with Russia.  In other words, a nonexistent crime.  The Trump campaign had nothing to do with the alleged hack.  
Whether or not Trump was involved there was an underlying crime being investigated.  As you’re aware, Russians were indicted for that crime.  During the same investigation. 

Didn't say I was good with it.  But I don't think it's surprising or automatically treasonous that political operatives would take the meeting. :shrug:
I agree. Treasonous is a bridge too far.  

Are you okay with the fact that Trump directed his counsel to lie and fabricate evidence to shut down the special counsel?  Assuming no, what do you think should happen?  Nothing?  Fit for office?

Whether or not Trump was involved there was an underlying crime being investigated.  As you’re aware, Russians were indicted for that crime.  During the same investigation. 
Ren's point is that Trump should be allowed to obstruct investigations into his friends, as long as Trump himself didn't commit the initial crime.

Are you okay with the fact that Trump directed his counsel to lie and fabricate evidence to shut down the special counsel?
No, I'm not.  But I have so much contempt for this investigation's false pretenses, the way it shifted perception of Trump toward a conspiracy theory and away from reality, and the untold damage it exacted on this country, that I view Trump's response to it as pretty mild by comparison.

The special counsel didn't get shut down, of course.  He operated with hardly a hiccup at all for years while the Presidency drowned in a conspiracy theory.  Any case for obstruction always hinged on the underlying conspiracy being there. 

I'm not so spiteful of Trump that I'd like to see him impeached over Russia.  That's really what drove a lot of this- an all-consuming hatred of Trump that subverted all rationality and reason, to get him impeached and removed from office at any cost.  People were traumatized by an election result they couldn't understand, and spoonfed a garbage narrative to blame Trump on "the Russians".  But Trump is a symptom of a system in decay.  

He deserves to be impeached for a variety of different reasons- but not for their fake conspiracy theory.  Impeaching him for obstructing the fake conspiracy theory investigation is a victory for them, and they really deserve nothing but humiliation and contempt for what they've done.  

No, I'm not.  But I have so much contempt for this investigation's false pretenses, the way it shifted perception of Trump toward a conspiracy theory and away from reality, and the untold damage it exacted on this country, that I view Trump's response to it as pretty mild by comparison.

The special counsel didn't get shut down, of course.  He operated with hardly a hiccup at all for years while the Presidency drowned in a conspiracy theory.  Any case for obstruction always hinged on the underlying conspiracy being there. 

I'm not so spiteful of Trump that I'd like to see him impeached over Russia.  That's really what drove a lot of this- an all-consuming hatred of Trump that subverted all rationality and reason, to get him impeached and removed from office at any cost.  People were traumatized by an election result they couldn't understand, and spoonfed a garbage narrative to blame Trump on "the Russians".  But Trump is a symptom of a system in decay.  

He deserves to be impeached for a variety of different reasons- but not for their fake conspiracy theory.  Impeaching him for obstructing the fake conspiracy theory investigation is a victory for them, and they really deserve nothing but humiliation and contempt for what they've done.  
He committed obstruction of justice during a legitimate investigation that was carried on with professionalism. Whatever the bystanders said or wanted and whatever the source of the crime was, the investigation was professional and was not leaking damning information. 

I'm not sure of the breadth of the discussion here and what the scope of reporting is, but this comment is odd in the context of the Mueller report.  There's a group going out of their way to misrepresent what it says and another group accepting it for what it says.  Typically, those who don't like what they hear don't also embrace it as truth.  The calculus, at least as it pertains to the Mueller report, is demonstrably wrong in your statement.
I think I love you. This is true of all sides, no matter what you believe politically. 

Was the media irresponsible in their reporting, at times, over the 2 years before the report was released?  Yes.

Was the media responsible most of the time in their reporting, over the 2 years before the report was released? Yes.

@Sandsomewhere I got this idea you respect the Constitution. Now you think Congress can obstruct justice by demanding transparency from the executive branch?
I like the idea of the origin story coming out.  I'd like to see the FISA warrants that started things off.  I'd like to see the full story on why Carter Page was unfairly targeted.  We've seen basically the entire upper echelon of the FBI get heaved from their seats due to their actions here - there is more here.  

Didn't pay much attention to the obstruction part of the comment.  Actually, if I think about it, I don't think it's possible for Congress to obstruct justice in any substansive sense.

Ren.  You do realize that Trump did 85% of this to himself.  His incessant whining and complaining kept this in the new cycle day in and day out. Had he just kept his mouth shut and let the investigation run its course the fanfare and hype would have been orders of magnitude less. He’s the one that kept it in the news cycle feeding the hype day and night. He’s was the one that produced all the smoke suggesting there was a fire.  Mueller’s team was as tight as a drum, not a peep.  

The mad man shouting from the roof tops is always going to get the attention, he knows this well, this is how he built his business. 

AAG Boyd responded to Nadler concerning the request for an unredacted version of the Mueller report and the underlying data (particularly the 302s)

pt1/pt2

It's really well argued until it gets to the point, the essence of which is: please hold. We'll get back to you at our convenience with whether or not to invoke Executive Privilege. 

I get that it's a lot of documents and there is likely a lot of sensitive data that impacts ongoing cases. I don't trust Congress not to leak it. But, some sort of cadence to release of the information should be provided. 

But anyway, this is where we are tonight.

I like the idea of the origin story coming out.  I'd like to see the FISA warrants that started things off.  I'd like to see the full story on why Carter Page was unfairly targeted.  We've seen basically the entire upper echelon of the FBI get heaved from their seats due to their actions here - there is more here.  

Didn't pay much attention to the obstruction part of the comment.
"unfairly" targeted? bit of bias betrayed there, Sand. i'd be keen to hear what set the FBI  off , what they got from the first three FISA taps , and what they got that allowed DOJ (Yates, Boente, and Rosenstein all) to renew them. 

Ren.  You do realize that Trump did 85% of this to himself.  His incessant whining and complaining kept this in the new cycle day in and day out. Had he just kept his mouth shut and let the investigation run its course the fanfare and hype would have been orders of magnitude less. He’s the one that kept it in the news cycle feeding the hype day and night. He’s was the one that produced all the smoke suggesting there was a fire.  Mueller’s team was as tight as a drum, not a peep.  

The mad man shouting from the roof tops is always going to get the attention, he knows this well, this is how he built his business. 
Trump had no choice but to address it- it was the first question from reporters all the time.  Sure, there was a more subdued way to go about it, but the media and pundit sphere would have filled in the blanks regardless of what he actually said.  

Users who are viewing this thread